PDA

View Full Version : Think I did something wrong, but not sure.

Dainon
02-14-2005, 10:19
Yesterday I did a 12 mile hike in about 4.5 hours. The temperature was in the low 40s with a light, steady rain.

I was wearing trail runners, Smartwool socks, convert. long pants, Underarmour long-sleeve baselayer shirt, a loose-fitting long-sleeve wicking shirt over that, and FroggToggs. I was carry a small pack loaded to maybe 5 lbs with mostly junk to eat, an alcohol stove, etc.

I tend to sweat a lot, and an hour into my hike I could tell that the Underarmour shirt was pretty wet. So I stopped, took off the other shirt, and was plenty warm with just the Underarmour and FroggTogg jacket. About 3 hours into the hike, I could tell that I was pretty much soaked in sweat.

At the end of my hike, I stopped about a mile from my truck to cook lunch in a shelter. I cooled down very quickly and stripped off the Underarmour shirt and put back on the other shirt, then the FroggTogg jacket, which was damp on the inside from sweat, to try to stay warm.

That's the scenario. What bothered me about that situation is that I think that I'd have been in trouble if I had to camp out that night because I got too damp to stay warm. So I have several questions:
1. Is that type of situation fairly normal? I mean, do most people get sweaty damp when wearing rain gear? It seems to me that if the temp. is reasonable, then rain gear is almost useless.
2. I'm thinking that it wouldn't be a bad idea to carry 2 extra sets of clothes in an attempt to have at least 1 pair that wasn't wet. If you only had 1 extra set, then what would you have done in that situation? Given that it was raining all day and then all that night, nothing would have dried out. Is staying dry in rainy, cold conditions just a goal and not something that should be expected?

I'm just wondering if I missed the boat and did something wrong in that type of situation or if it's pretty normal.

And by the way, Underarmour should NOT be worn in public. It's like wearing a rubber band and it'll make you look like 10 lbs. of lard stuffed into a 5 lbs. sack -- not a pretty sight unless you look like a body builder (male) or bikini model (female).

MOWGLI
02-14-2005, 10:27
That's the scenario. What bothered me about that situation is that I think that I'd have been in trouble if I had to camp out that night because I got too damp to stay warm. So I have several questions:
1. Is that type of situation fairly normal? I mean, do most people get sweaty damp when wearing rain gear? It seems to me that if the temp. is reasonable, then rain gear is almost useless.

Yes, good observation.

2. I'm thinking that it wouldn't be a bad idea to carry 2 extra sets of clothes in an attempt to have at least 1 pair that wasn't wet. If you only had 1 extra set, then what would you have done in that situation? Given that it was raining all day and then all that night, nothing would have dried out. Is staying dry in rainy, cold conditions just a goal and not something that should be expected?

If it's raining, I wouldn't expect your hiking clothes to dry out. One extra set of clothes should be fine. It worked for me anyway. Your sleeping bag is for keeping you warm.

I'm just wondering if I missed the boat and did something wrong in that type of situation or if it's pretty normal.

Nope, pretty normal stuff IMO.

Youngblood
02-14-2005, 10:37
At the end of an all day rain, your last resort for something warm might be your shelter and sleeping bag.

Different conditions require different clothing. Temperature, rain intensity, wind and level of exertion all combine to give you different requirements for rainy weather. You want to stay dry and warm. You have to avoid cold and wet. You also want to avoid being hot and overheating in your own sweat. It is not uncommon for me to change what I am wearing as the day progresses and the temperatures in the 40s may be the range that requires the most changes in what you are comfortable with. If the rain is cold and the intensity is high, you may be comfortable hiking with with a breathable rain suit. But if the rain is very light, you may be more comfortable (and stay reasonably dry) wearing something along the lines of a fleece jacket (maybe with wind shirt) as you need the breathablity to get rid of the excess heat you generate and it the heat may evaporate the light rain leaving you warm and only slightly moist. It's something you have to work out and hope that the conditions aren't changing every 30 minutes on you.

Youngblood

The Old Fhart
02-14-2005, 10:40
Dianon, I think you have answered your own question. All of us have been taught a lesson by mother nature at one time or other and you are wise enough to recognize the lesson and take it seriously. You didn't really do anything wrong, just consider it part of the learning process. Lots better to have it happen like you did than out in the middle of a long hike.

As an instructor in mountain safety, I have a saying: "You don't have to carry as much gear if you're only going one way."

chris
02-14-2005, 10:57
I think that the situation you describe is a very common one that hikers face. However, it does not have to be dangerous. The fact that you could make something warm helps alot. If you had, say, a warm (dry) hat and a warm pullover, there would be no danger in stopping for the night.

Incidently, how did the underarmor work out? Other than in the fashion sense, that is, as I already have plenty of tight shirts to show off Buddha.

Slaughter
02-14-2005, 11:07
Rain gear is just another layer for keeping warm, and perhaps a little less muddy than you'd otherwise be. I always use a set of long underwear as "camp wear" - even if you're putting on soaked clothing again the next morning, it's more important to have something dry when you're not going to be on the move.

bigcat2
02-14-2005, 11:11
Chris~
As far as UnderArmour works, it's pretty good. I have a long sleeved cold gear mock turtle and it's great when you're moving, but once you stop it's not worth a dime. I really tested mine in about 30° and when stopped, the wind cut right through it. According to the label it's recommended to be used in under 50° temps, which this obviously qualified. As long as you don't want to use it once you've stopped for the evening you will be fine.

Dainon
02-14-2005, 11:12
Thanks for the info. Maybe it was the combination of cold temp. and rain that made it particularly unnerving. When I stopped for lunch, I had the shakes, my hands were almost numb (no gloves), and if I had to hike another 5-10 miles, I'd have been in trouble. Next time I'm going to carry an extra set of clothes.

In regard to Underarmour, that was my first experience with it. I'm 6', 210 and my daughter gave me an X-large shirt. Still it fit VERY tight -- literally like a second skin. It's very light, has a rubbery feel to it, and it certainly wicks sweat very well. On the other hand, it's expensive (about $30 on sale) and I think that most of that cost is so you can wear their logo. Edited to say that he's right -- when you stop and if it's damp, the wind cuts right through it.

chris
02-14-2005, 13:01
I'm actually looking for a hot weather, long sleeve top. I like form fitting clothing for a variety of reasons and also like to cover up from the sun and to protect my skin when bushwhacking (yeah, I know this isn't a big deal on the AT). Also, proctection from poison ivy/oak/sumac, which is a concern on the AT (I got 3 cases last summer).

So, I'm looking more for a warm weather deal.

Alligator
02-14-2005, 13:06
Suggestions:

1. Work on keeping the sweat level down. I am slightly taller (+2") and lighter (-25 lbs) than you, and I would have been sweating too with all those clothes. I hike warm, but I would have not worn the conv pants and left off one shirt.

2. Frogg Toggs (which I own), vent poorly compared to some other designs. I am very hesitant to wear them in the winter. I generally don't. I have a Gore-tex jacket and breathable pants (I think they are Sympatex?, its like Gore-tex not as good). Regardless of fabic, what is nice are the pit zips and chest zips in the jacket, and full length zipper on the pants. If I get hot, I will zip open the pants up to full length. There are velcro tabs to keep it semi-closed. Underneath is generally just my skivies, sorry for the image:jump . Frogg Toggs do not have options to vent and can get very warm and sweaty, breathable or not. This is a critical point to remember in the winter.

3. I regulate temperature best with a hat, gloves, and neck gaitor. Having to change tops or bottoms is a PITA when its raining, so I avoid this.

4. Last, I always have a really warm item that I can throw on when stopped. For me, it's a Polarguard jacket, but a heavy fleece will do. Sometimes, I'll have a somewhat damp shirt, and this warm layer helps to steam it dry during stops. However, one may need to take off the wet layer to stay warm.

Consider it a learning lesson. It takes practice to learn what combinations work for you. I pulled in wet to Roan Mountain shelter, conditions very similar, uncontrollably shivering. I had to strip down and put on warm clothes for lunch. Then I had to put the nasty wet clothes back on to continue. I would have stopped if I did not have warm clothes as backup.

LIhikers
02-15-2005, 08:55

1. This is why my wife likes to use a poncho. She says that it keeps the weather off but still has enough ventilation that she doesn't get wet from the inside out. Her poncho is made of silnylon, has a hood, is big enough to cover her and any pack she might be wearing, and hangs down enough to keep most of her legs dry

2. When you're going to be out overnight, have one set of clothes that you reserve for use at camp. Keep them dry so that you have something to change into. That will help you warm up. If it isn't enough then get into your sleeping bag

Flash Hand
02-16-2005, 02:22
1. This is why my wife likes to use a poncho. She says that it keeps the weather off but still has enough ventilation that she doesn't get wet from the inside out. Her poncho is made of silnylon, has a hood, is big enough to cover her and any pack she might be wearing, and hangs down enough to keep most of her legs dry

2. When you're going to be out overnight, have one set of clothes that you reserve for use at camp. Keep them dry so that you have something to change into. That will help you warm up. If it isn't enough then get into your sleeping bag

Yes Poncho work OUTSTANDING. The first time I got poncho was heavy duty.. which is a bad selection... so I bought the lightweight and am looking forward to use poncho on my next attempt thru-hike.

Flash Hand :jump

minnesotasmith
02-16-2005, 04:06
1) Consider getting a Packa (www.thepacka.com (http://www.thepacka.com)). I've looked the site and its pics over in detail, and it seems to have vents where it needs vents, and fastens/has elastic where it needs to fasten or have elastic. I suspect you'll stay drier and dry out sooner with one of these than with a traditional cheapie poncho or the like.

2) How about trying an umbrella in the sections where the side brush isn't both tall and close? The small collapsible ones (about 6 bucks at ChinaMart) weigh only ounces. I used one on my last weekend hike, and it worked great. Even if you don't want to use one while hiking, they're convenient to use while camped.

Grimace
02-16-2005, 12:51
and as you pointed out, rain gear is pretty much useless. If it was 40 degrees or above I wouldn't even bother with it. Kilt and synthetic T were fine. Hiking with a full pack kept me warm and getting a free shower was better than being soaked in sweat. Under 40 degrees, an outer, breathable shell was good for warmth.

I carried a mid weight capilene top and a pair of shorts or capiliene bottoms (depending on season on the AT) for camp. Always kept it dry. I always hiked in the same thing day after day regardless of how wet the clothes are in the morning. After 10 minutes of packing you'll be warm.

For warmth while hiking I had anther midwieght capilene top, fleece gloves and a fleece hat. I never really covered my legs except for a couple of mornings when it was in the 20's.

weary
02-16-2005, 12:59
The most dangerous weather conditions on the trail is a steady rain with temperatures approaching freezing. As the poster found out, it is impossible to stay dry and without shelter, a sleeping bag, and dry clothes, it's impossible to stay warm once you stop. I'd far rather hike at 20 below than in a cold rain, especially with falling temperatures as evening approaches.

Weary

The Weasel
02-16-2005, 12:59
The problem with rain isn't getting wet, it's getting cold. Hypothermia can happen in 70 degree temps, if skin is wet and wind blows against it. I've seen it. Even a microfiber longsleeve or pant is going to get damp and, in wind, risky. I don't think covering the skin of the legs is as important; as long as you're walking, those muscles will stay warmish and not risk cooling the "body core". But arms and chest - close to the "core" of the body trunk - are risky when wet and windy

I carry a jacket made of very, very thin ripstop, which I've silicone sprayed. It weighs 4 oz and have found it essential on even warm days in heavy windy rains.

The Weasel

Doctari
02-16-2005, 18:47
Also check out our recent discussion on Hypotheria. There are some real good pointers there. Seems to me you were headed in that direction & managed to avoid same. Lesson learned?