PDA

View Full Version : max patch this past weekend

Thumper 2006
02-14-2005, 14:50
I went up to Max Patch this past weekend, and fell in love w/ the AT. We hiked to the top and there was snow everywhere and the wind was blowing about 60 mph. It was the most beautiful place i think i have ever seen. We set up camp at the bottom around the fence. This was the first time i have ever been on the AT and it was a great first experience. I am not sure but there is a picture on this website saying "vandalism on the AT" i dont know if it was the same wood, but me and the 2 others i was with carried armfuls of burnt wood from the top and 2 miles all the way down to our site. It wasn't fun but i feel is if i helped out a little bit. What an awsome place.

grrickar
02-14-2005, 16:47
Yep. My first AT experience was hiking from Hot Springs to Max Patch in one day. We made it in time for sunset even, and got some great pictures. I'd like to take a small telescope up there some night and camp.

The vandalism pictures you refer to were taken by Uncle Wayne if I am not mistaken, who happened to be at Max Patch the same evening I and my hiking buddy were in October of 2004. I did not see the burned posts, but it is sad that someone would do such as thing, not to mention the fact that with the strong winds typical at Max Patch having a fire up there with all the dry grass is a really bad idea.

A-Train
02-14-2005, 19:42
Probably my fav mountain besides Katahdin. How much snow was up there? Did you need snowshoes? I'll be taking a couple friends up there on sunday so any info would be appreciated.

Anyone got driving directions from Asheville/Hot Springs to Max Patch. Thnx

Thumper 2006
02-14-2005, 19:52
There was not that much snow just enough to have a snowball fight on top. Pending the weather, the summit should be clear no need for snow shoes just enjoy the view. To get from asheville to max patch take 26 all the way to I-40 toward knoxville, take exit 7 and follow the sighns, it is not hard at all. You will know when you get there, it is impossible to miss.

Uncle Wayne
02-15-2005, 03:05
I'd like to take a small telescope up there some night and camp.
The vandalism pictures you refer to were taken by Uncle Wayne if I am not mistaken, who happened to be at Max Patch the same evening I and my hiking buddy were in October of 2004. I did not see the burned posts, but it is sad that someone would do such as thing

I've thought about that very thing, Max Patch would be a great place to have a telescope. I packed a 4 inch scope up to Wesser Bald on Halloween, 1998 and watching Saturn from that dark sky area is something I'll never forget.
The vandalized white blazed posts were probably 200 feet west of where you set up camp, Grrickar. The only thing I regret about my Max Patch trip was not meeting you when we were so close. We had a great night to be up there didn't we? Repeat, a fellow Whiteblazer, has some of the best photos ever from Max Patch in the photo gallery for those interested.