PDA

View Full Version : Hot Springs, NC

trailfinder
02-14-2005, 22:11
Can any one comment on the reliability of the shuttle service at Hot Springs, NC provided by Blufff Mountain Outfitters. Thanks!

springerfever
02-14-2005, 22:36
used them a couple of times for section hiking......reliable, helpful and a well-stocked outfitter. Hot Springs is a great little town !!

Jeff
02-15-2005, 08:22
I used them in the spring of '04 during the "thru" season and they were reliable & right on time.

orangebug
02-15-2005, 09:25
Used them in June for a short section. Very good service.

Back in 2001, I casually mentioned at Elmers that I wished I could do a section. The next morning they were ready and waiting for me. Almost too good service.!

Jaybird
02-15-2005, 10:06
Can any one comment on the reliability of the shuttle service at Hot Springs, NC provided by Blufff Mountain Outfitters. Thanks!

we ("Jaybird & Jigsaw"2004)looked into a shuttle from Hot SPrings,NC to CLingmans Dome...@ Bluff Mtn Outfitters....they charged $2. per mile....OUCH!

Talked to "Squirrel" @ Elmers....he shuttled us for $40. (for both) :D

The Solemates
02-15-2005, 16:31
Great service at a good price. Have used them twice.

swamp dawg
02-15-2005, 17:07
We used them and they were great. We passed through Hot Springs and asked them to meet us at Sams Gap at five AM in a several days. True to their word there sat Dan with radio ripping waiting on us, can't beat that kind of service. Life is good on the trail.........Swamp Dawg

Jack Tarlin
02-15-2005, 19:21
Jaybird:

It is a real pain in the ass to get from Hot Springs to Clingman's, and it's by no means a "straight shot" drive.

I'm pretty sure this is NOT their usual rate per mile, but I'm equally sure that like a lot of shuttlers, they might charge extra for out-of-the-way places that require extra driving time. After all....what is an hour of YOUR working day worth?

When I was working at the Outfitter's last spring, they shuttled scores of folks, and I can't remember any significant complaints.

Dan and Wayne (who own Bluff Moiuntain) have been taking good care of hikers in that part of the worlds for many years, and are considered by many folks tt run one of the two or three best outfitters on the Trail.

For details on their shuttling services, folks can call Dan Gallagher at 828-622-7162.

Another question: Was the money you paid Squirrel an "official" shuttle or was it a private arrangement between the two of you? In many cases, employees of hostels do shuttles on their own spare time with their own vehicles, and they frequently charge less than "market" rates; I'm wondering if perhaps this was the case here.

There are usually several shuttle providers in any trail town; money-conscious hikers should make a few calls and find out in advance what different folks are charging and act accordingly. Any reputable shuttler will tell you exactly what a ride will cost before you arrange to make use of their services.

Big Dawg
02-15-2005, 23:15
Used them twice, great service!

Sly
02-15-2005, 23:39
Where you going? I may be able to do it. ;)

Sly's email ([email protected])

grumpy&happy
09-06-2010, 16:33
We used Bluff Mountain Outfitters to take us back to Waterville (close to I-40 & Davenport Gap) as we planned a three day hike back to Hot Springs. Daniel was a talkative driver with lots of thoughts on the world today. Very enjoyable. He talked of having many other folks to pickup and drop off from the Trailheads of the area to the Airport in Asheville as well. So he goes all over. Around the Smokies and Fontana I would call Jeff & Nancy Hoch at the Hike Inn.

Codger
09-06-2010, 17:29
Used them in May, Great Service