PDA

View Full Version : SOBO in Late June or July, anyone?

Arniekins
02-15-2005, 06:05
Hey all-
Just wondering if anyone plans on going SOBO from Katahdin starting in early July. If so, let me know. Thanks all!
Aaron

JimmyJazzrocks
11-20-2005, 14:40
I'd like to plan on going southbound in early july (2006), just to let you know.

Marta
11-20-2005, 21:37
I'm planning to start SOBO in early July. I think I have a partner lined up, too.

hammock engineer
11-20-2005, 22:35
I'm planning SOBO sometime early to mid June.

Supernova
11-21-2005, 00:08
I'm planning SOBO staring around the first week of July.

dharmabum86
11-21-2005, 14:40
I'm starting in early June, SOBO. What are everyone's arrangements as far as getting to Maine? Are you traveling by bus, carpooling with family, flying, etc???
OJ

hammock engineer
11-21-2005, 14:46
So far I am planning on carpooling with family. Nothing like going stir crazy in a car with family for hours, to make me want to go for a long walk.

Marta
11-21-2005, 17:15
dharmabum86--Are you the girl I met at the SoRuck last year? The nurse in GA? (I say "girl" 'cause I have a daughter your age.)

Anyway, my husband will be driving my hiking partner and me up, starting from Charlotte. He'll stay with me to hike Katahdin, so I won't have to arrange other shuttling. We might be able to squeeze another person in the car. If you're interested in riding with us, we can talk at the SoRuck in January, or by email.

Marta
11-21-2005, 17:16
Sorry, I wasn't paying attention. I'm planning to start in early July...

dharmabum86
11-21-2005, 17:54
dharmabum86--Are you the girl I met at the SoRuck last year? The nurse in GA? (I say "girl" 'cause I have a daughter your age.)

Anyway, my husband will be driving my hiking partner and me up, starting from Charlotte. He'll stay with me to hike Katahdin, so I won't have to arrange other shuttling. We might be able to squeeze another person in the car. If you're interested in riding with us, we can talk at the SoRuck in January, or by email.

YEP, THAT'S ME!!! I was going to ask the same of you:p ! I'll be at SORUCK but I'm starting before you unless plans change. Thank you so much for the offer though. Do you know if I wanted to fly which airport would be the closest for me? I'll probably fly or bus it. No one in my family can drive me up there. I don't blame them either:D

Marta
11-22-2005, 13:37
Before the driving plan was floated by my husband, I was planning to fly into Bangor. It's not exactly close to Millinocket, but I don't think there's an airport there. ;-) My mother-in-law lives near Bangor and she was going to drive me to Baxter SP. I think there is transportation info in the Companion.

I'm looking forward to seeing you at the SoRuck. Are you going to be Tuckerized?

Marta

dharmabum86
11-22-2005, 14:59
Unfortunately, yes, I will subject myself to being tuckerized again. Last year, I was at 27lbs with 5 days worth of food and no water. Not bad, I thought. I've had some changes to my gear so I'm interested to see what damage I've done. A few weeks ago I was hiking Blood Mtn and stopped at Neel's Gap/Walasi-Yi and weighed in at 30 lbs. I was carrying a platypus of wine:D , 32oz of water and 3 days worth of food (yummy stuff), and a few other luxury items that I absolutely could have done without:cool:
OJ

Alligator
11-22-2005, 15:52
There is also transportation information to Katahdin in the Articles section (link above).

TJ aka Teej
11-22-2005, 17:48
If you're looking for transport from Portland to Baxter keep me in mind. Between May 14th and the end of July I'll be making that trip four or five times. No shuttle fee, just help with gas. No set dates yet, but for sure by April.
Southbounders need to remember that reservations are needed to stay inside the Park, you can't stay at the Birches campsite. www.baxterstateparkauthority.com (http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com)
I always reccomend staying two nights, before and after your climb. And to try to buddy up with another MEGA to share the site fee, taxi fare, etc. If you're traveling to Baxter by bus, note that you'll get in after suppertime, after the Park Head Quarters closes, and probably not in time to get to the Park before the gate closes. You'll need an in-town room, or to get the Taxi guy to drop you off outside the gate to stealth camp.

dharmabum86
11-23-2005, 13:57
If you're looking for transport from Portland to Baxter keep me in mind. Between May 14th and the end of July I'll be making that trip four or five times. No shuttle fee, just help with gas. No set dates yet, but for sure by April.
Southbounders need to remember that reservations are needed to stay inside the Park, you can't stay at the Birches campsite. www.baxterstateparkauthority.com (http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com)
I always reccomend staying two nights, before and after your climb. And to try to buddy up with another MEGA to share the site fee, taxi fare, etc. If you're traveling to Baxter by bus, note that you'll get in after suppertime, after the Park Head Quarters closes, and probably not in time to get to the Park before the gate closes. You'll need an in-town room, or to get the Taxi guy to drop you off outside the gate to stealth camp.

Teej, if you don't mind I'm gonna have lots more questions for you! I still have a bit of planning as far as that goes so I might email you with all my questions after the holidays. Your post was a big help!

TJ aka Teej
11-24-2005, 20:08
Your post was a big help!

Thanks, that's the main reason most of us old hikers post here! Southbounder starting logistics aren't talked about as much as they should be. imo.
Good luck next season!

tarbender
02-08-2006, 23:53
Planning on heading south again this year as long as the scratch can be made in time!

RITBlake
02-09-2006, 00:21
if you're planning a southbound hike and you have any questions regarding baxter state park, or the begining part of your thru hike get ahold of Teej. He was tremendous with us and made our thru hike transition so much smoother. We were going nuts with the baxter park logistics and he got us all squared away. Probably seems like a small thing to Teej but it was a HUGE help to us at the time, we haven't forgten about it!

willydmac
02-13-2006, 23:45
Do you have an exact date that your leaving because if you do then I would like to set out with you on the trail?

TJ aka Teej
02-14-2006, 17:50
New Whiteblaze Southbounder forum!
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=422 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=422)

Jones134679
03-02-2006, 00:24
Im heading out early June and have found no one to hike with, so i am still looking for someone to hike with. No a thru hike but just a few months while i am outta school.