PDA

View Full Version : conserving space

taylorbena
02-15-2005, 06:45
what are some items ushally strapped on the outside of the pack? I was thinking maybe my thermarest? maybe even my tent?

02-15-2005, 08:04
It would depend on if you are carring an internal or external frame pack.

If internal, little to nothing should be on the outside. These bags are made and will carry better with most items inside. Things I would put on outside: cup, camp shoes, pack cover, if desperate a sleeping pad.

If you have an external frame, what ever you can make stay. These are made to strap stuff about every where. i would put tent, sleeping pad, camp shoes, cup, pack cover, and if desperate my sleeping bag.

chris
02-15-2005, 10:52
I use a (mostly) framelss pack that has several large external mesh pockets. In them go: tarp, groundcloth, stakes, tarp poles, Polar Pure, waterbag, pack cover (if using), maps/guide, tobacco and papers, and alcohol (both fuel and sippin). I have two pockets on my hip belt, and in one goes my camera and comass, and in the other goes snacks.

I like to have have my tarp readily accessible so that I can pitch in a quick hurry if it is raining. The rest of the things are stuff that I use frequently enough that I don't want to have to dig for it, or are liquidy and I want to keep away from my sleeping bag and clothes.

bitpusher
02-15-2005, 10:57
I put my tent and my thermarest on the outside of my internal frame pack, as well as my trowel and my water bag, once I've used it. Everything else is inside. Well, my camp shoes are in a pocket on the back.

Footslogger
02-15-2005, 11:05
Only thing strapped to the outside of my pack are my camp shoes (Waldies), my piece of Tyvek (groundcloth), my short section of Z-rest (use it as a seat) and my 4 Liter Platypus for water gathering. With the exception of the shoes, all this stuff folds very flat and fits easily under the straps. Anything else I need quick access to is stuffed in one of the side pouches on the outside of the pack.

I do agree with the earlier post that with an internal frame pack you want to keep things hanging on the outside to a minimum.

'Slogger
AT 2003

MileMonster
02-15-2005, 11:26
Camp shoes, z-rest, ground cloth, jacket for easy access if it's cool/ possibly rainy.

The Weasel
02-15-2005, 14:35
I avoid externals when possible except for drying. I've lost things, and freak storms are a problem. If you have pockets, use one for rain gear and keep the rest inside.

The Weasel

MOWGLI
02-15-2005, 14:45
what are some items ushally strapped on the outside of the pack? I was thinking maybe my thermarest? maybe even my tent?

I use diaper pins on my internal frme pack for drying socks and other wet clothing items. Haven't lost anything (yet).

The Solemates
02-15-2005, 19:15
I dont really strap anything on the outside of my pack. My pack has a huge mesh "shovel compartment" though, were I put my pad, tent poles, and water.

SalParadise
02-15-2005, 23:22
What you carry on the outside of your pack also depends on where available straps are located on your pack.

However usually it's my tent and sleeping pad and pack cover or whatever else I don't mind getting wet.

rumbler
02-16-2005, 08:33
About the only thing I consistently keep in the outside pockets are snacks for the day and raingear for easy and quick access.

tribes
02-16-2005, 08:57
The only thing consistently on the outside of my pack are my waldies. Everything else fits inside my internal frame pack. On occasion, if it is a cool day I will attach a warmer layer to the outside of my pack for taking breaks.

TRI :sun BES

Kerosene
02-16-2005, 10:34
The only thing I tend to carry outside my internal frame pack are my wet socks wrapped through the pack's web straps so they don't fall out. Sometimes I'll lash my fleece on top of my Granite Gear pack so I can get to it quickly without opening up the bag when I stop to rest.

wren
02-16-2005, 16:18
The packs i use are just bags with shoulder straps, and lack any internal support aside from what my sleeping pad provides. My tarp, tyvek, and a wind layer go in the large external mesh pocket on the back of the pack. Depending on weather, a hat might be back there too. Fuel bottle, windscreen, and lighter all go in the left side pocket. My water bottle, snacks, water treatment, (bleach, or iodine) and maps im not currently using go in the right side pocket. If im thinking ahead, ill pull my lunch out and put it in the back pocket so i dont have to tear my pack apart until i get to camp. If theres no room in the back, lunch is the last thing thrown inside the pack, so its easy to get to. All of these pockets are deep, so i dont really worry about loosing anything.