PDA

View Full Version : starting a south bound thru

augie
02-15-2005, 10:26
Is there some kind of approach trail other than the AT to the summit of Katahdin. What are the possiblities of having your pack shuttled to Katahdin Stream Campground then start in or near Millinocket and retrieve your pack. I really like the idea of not retracing steps. Any suggestions/experiences?
Augie

TJ aka Teej
02-15-2005, 10:48
Is there some kind of approach trail other than the AT to the summit of Katahdin. What are the possiblities of having your pack shuttled to Katahdin Stream Campground then start in or near Millinocket and retrieve your pack. I really like the idea of not retracing steps.Due to weather condtions, the AT from Katahdin Stream Campground is the first trail to Baxter Peak to open each year. It's usually open by Memorial Day. The second trail will be the Abol Slide Trail, which connects with the AT at Thoreau Spring about a mile south of the summit. If you're starting before mid-June these will be probably be your only options. Hike the Hunt Trail (the AT from KSC) it's really two different trails going up and coming down. Millinocket is over 20 miles from the AT, it's not on the Trail. I always suggest that sobos reserve two night's stay (before and after their climb) in a lean-to at Katahdin Stream Campground. www.baxterstateparkauthority.com (http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/)

augie
02-15-2005, 11:16
Teej,

Thanks for the info. Two nights at KSC sounds like the plan.

Augie