PDA

View Full Version : V8 Turbo?

erichlf
02-15-2005, 13:10
I just made my first one yesterday. Very brilliant idea SGT. This thing is really hard to blow out. I had to put the pot over it to deprive it of O2. Anyway, on with my question. Most of my flames seem to want to come up through the center. I am pretty sure that is not the way it is suppose to work. It would probably still work fine, but how do I get it so the flames come out the sides more? I made the version with the slits and not the pin holes if that makes a difference. Thank you.

SGT Rock
02-15-2005, 21:08
Did you use your pot on it and still have problems?

erichlf
02-16-2005, 00:18
Okay, second time around and it works perfectly! Some things to note for those who might try making this stove:
I used a thumb tac to make holes for top.
Holes are easier to punch and get correct than slits (for me).
Score that X deep, but not too deep (i.e not all the way through).
Interior wall is very important for proper flame distribution.
Make sure the interior wall has no visable gaps.
Small triangular cuts work better than big ones.
This thing is not easily blown out. It can be, but is not really safe to do so.
Watch your fingers. lol

Oh yeah, this thing weighed in at 0.6 oz.
The first one was 0.55 oz. So the weight given by SGT. Rock is dead on.

SGT Rock
02-16-2005, 03:02
:D, of course it is! Try making one of the new Ion stoves now.

erichlf
02-16-2005, 16:39
I have a few questions on the ion stove. Have you played around with the number of holes? Did this make any difference?

I like grape juice a lot more than V8. I wish I had noticed it first.lol The new efficiency tests performed on this stove seem much more reliable, since your water temps make more sense. Water boils at 212F, so 215F max temp of water didn't really make sense, unless you added something to the water such as salt. Sorry, not trying to be rude, just making some observations. Pretty cool that it boils water at half the fuel consumption.

Well, I will go try this out after work. I think I will give my bro the Turbo V8. lol He hates UL Backpacking. Everytime I mention some technique he scoffs, and tells me why it is a bad idea.lol

SGT Rock
02-17-2005, 09:07
I have a few questions on the ion stove. Have you played around with the number of holes? Did this make any difference?

I like grape juice a lot more than V8. I wish I had noticed it first.lol The new efficiency tests performed on this stove seem much more reliable, since your water temps make more sense. Water boils at 212F, so 215F max temp of water didn't really make sense, unless you added something to the water such as salt. Sorry, not trying to be rude, just making some observations. Pretty cool that it boils water at half the fuel consumption.

Well, I will go try this out after work. I think I will give my bro the Turbo V8. lol He hates UL Backpacking. Everytime I mention some technique he scoffs, and tells me why it is a bad idea.lol

I would have to look at what I wrote (it has been a while) but it may be a typo.

Youngblood
02-17-2005, 09:50
Sarge,

Could it have been when the barometric pressure was at 31.55 inches of mercury (see http://www.csgnetwork.com/prescorh2oboilcalc.html )? :D

Youngblood

erichlf
02-17-2005, 12:03
Yes, pressure does effect the temp. at which water boils but not by that much. Anyway, it doesn't really matter that much.

I was going to make that ion stove, but could not find welch's grape juice cans, so instead I decided to make my own little stove. I call it the double shot. Get the starbucks double shot espresso can. Cut it to 1/2" instead of the 3/4" The inner wall should be 5/8". Put 16 holes around the top. The flame on this lasts much longer than the V8 turbo. It definately heats the same quantity of water much faster, but was not able to boil with only 2 soda caps full of alcohol (came close). I cut more out of the pot stand and ended up weighing 0.3 oz. I guess those cans must be a bit heavier than the welches.

The Hammocker
03-02-2005, 19:16
All hail the great stove master.