PDA

View Full Version : Which trekking poles?

hikerjohnd
02-15-2005, 14:20
With the host of trekking poles availible to hikers, which ones do you prefer? Brand, angle of handle, anti-shock or no, aluminum or carbon, telescoping or fixed? I have been reading and thinking about the benefit of poles (and listening to the con side as well) and, while I have never been a trekking pole fan, I have not used them in a mountain setting and may want to give then a second chance. What do you all use/prefer? :-? Thanks!

Footslogger
02-15-2005, 14:43
I own 2 set of poles sold by REI (Komperdell is the manufacturer). Carried one set on my thru in 2003. Had to replace the tips after than little walk in the woods but otherwise they've held up great.

Never have been able to bring myself to paying the extra $$$ for the Leki's.

'Slogger
AT 2003

Rain Man
02-15-2005, 15:47
With the host of trekking poles availible to hikers, which ones do you prefer?

I personally do not like the needlessly heavy, noisy, spring-loaded ones. Stick to the basic ones.

My own poles now are Leki Makula Titaniums (or some such name). There's not much titanium in them, if any, but you asked for a name.

Poles are noisy enough without the clacking of springs!

:sun
Rain Man

SalParadise
02-15-2005, 17:54
ah, they're all the same. heck, I used two bamboo cross-country ski poles last year and they worked great.
Only difference in all of them are those springs, and I've always only heard Rain Man's response, that they don't help and are just noisy.

flyfisher
02-15-2005, 18:38
I really like the superlight ones by Gossamer Gear. Details:

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Trekking%20Poles/Poles/Gossamer%20Gear%20Lightrek%20Poles/Rick%20Allnutt/Field%20Report/

Belew
02-15-2005, 19:05
I agree with flyfisher. Gossamer Gear. I'll never use anything else :jump

The Solemates
02-15-2005, 19:23
With the host of trekking poles availible to hikers, which ones do you prefer? Brand, angle of handle, anti-shock or no, aluminum or carbon, telescoping or fixed? I have been reading and thinking about the benefit of poles (and listening to the con side as well) and, while I have never been a trekking pole fan, I have not used them in a mountain setting and may want to give then a second chance. What do you all use/prefer? :-? Thanks!

None. Just something else to carry.

The Weasel
02-15-2005, 19:53
They take a huge amount of stress off of knee and ankle joints, especially on downhills. Brand and type are more a matter of cost and personal choice. Adjustables can save weight by being used as tent/tarp poles and a few other uses. Lose the baskets, even in winter. Rubber tips are essential both for silence and trail protection.

I love my fast-adjust old "Trekk'rs" with the buttons. But my wife likes her Lekis. Whatever

The Weasel

Peaks
02-15-2005, 19:57
Well, I don't know which poles are better than others. But, from observation, the hardest working rep at Trail Days is the Leki rep, fixing and working on everyone's poles. So, that type of customer service should earn the business.

Lone Wolf
02-15-2005, 20:05
Be thrifty and environmentally conscious like Warren Doyle, and buy some used ski poles for a buck or two instead of forking out over $100 for fancy ones. Actually you better demo some sort of poles before buying to make sure you'll like them.

Youngblood
02-15-2005, 20:28
Well, I don't know which poles are better than others. But, from observation, the hardest working rep at Trail Days is the Leki rep, fixing and working on everyone's poles. So, that type of customer service should earn the business.
That is one way to look at it. The other way is why do they need all this fixing and working on? I sometimes get tired of messing with mine, they do seem to be problematic. Mine lead a rough life, maybe too rough for the added complexity of collapseable sections.

orangebug
02-15-2005, 22:59
The Leki's folks will work and repair any brand of trekking poles, section hiker, thru hiker or anything else. They will educate you how to care for your poles between hikes, and charge you nada.

That is good customer service in my book.