PDA

View Full Version : This weekend's snow cover in MA/CT

Frosty
02-15-2005, 14:39
I'm planning an overnighter this weekend. Would prefer the AT, but want to test out the tent I will be thru-hiking with this year and would like bare ground.

Anyone living in MA/CT area know what the conditions are on the trail now. That's about the furthest I could drive for a weekender.

Also, anyone there who could help with a car shuttle, either Friday night or Sunday. (Prefer Friday night so I'll be walking back TO my vehicle.

Dharma
02-15-2005, 15:18
There is a recent entry for Mt. Everett on Views from the Top (http://www.viewsfromthetop.com/). Click on trail conditions --> Massachusetts.
It did rain yesterday, so conditions might be different.

Where I'm at in CT ( 1 hour east of AT) we have hard slippery snow in the hills. Definately bring your poles with you.

Grimace
02-15-2005, 17:27
I doubt that conditions in MA will vary from what you have in Portsmouth. The elevation in the berkshires makes it tough for you. Why not camp on snow, won;t change the performance that much

Frosty
02-15-2005, 21:11
I doubt that conditions in MA will vary from what you have in Portsmouth. The elevation in the berkshires makes it tough for you. Why not camp on snow, won;t change the performance that muchI'm not looking at the tarptent's performance to evaluate it. I bought the thing and it is now my thruhiking tent for better or for worse. But it is my first floorless tent and I want to set up prior to my thruhike, and also cut my Tyvek groundsheet to fit. I don't think setting it up on snow or in my livingroom is the way to go if I want the Tyvek to fit right when I'm done.

I could go down to SE Mass or RI to camp, but would like to do a bit of the AT while I'm at it. That's why I asked if anyone who lived out that way could tell me about snow cover out there.

bondboy
02-15-2005, 23:09
i am 7 miles east of trail....was 52 degrees here today....plenty of bare ground from bulls bridge to kent....further north up in the higher hills (salisbury) most likely still snow.....spend the night in october mt. shelter (mass) superbowl weekend and still a lot of snow there