PDA

View Full Version : Movie Theater Access

hikerjohnd
02-15-2005, 14:51
OK - I'm not a die hard fan (I never stood in line overnight to see a film) but I would like to see the new Star Wars this May or June when its out in theaters. Is there easy access to a theater from the trail? As far as where I'll be (it opens May 19th) - I'll be leaving Trail Days (probably that Sunday morning) and headed north. - So any theaters along the way? Thanks for the help - and if there isn't a convenient theater, I can certainly wait for the DVD. :D

Footslogger
02-15-2005, 14:55
OK - I'm not a die hard fan (I never stood in line overnight to see a film) but I would like to see the new Star Wars this May or June when its out in theaters. Is there easy access to a theater from the trail? As far as where I'll be (it opens May 19th) - I'll be leaving Trail Days (probably that Sunday morning) and headed north. - So any theaters along the way? Thanks for the help - and if there isn't a convenient theater, I can certainly wait for the DVD. :D========================================
I got a ride over to Abbingdon from Damascus on my thru (during Trail Days) and saw a movie there. Theaters are few and far between in towns along the trail, at least from my experience.

'Slogger
AT 2003

MOWGLI
02-15-2005, 15:14
OK - I'm not a die hard fan (I never stood in line overnight to see a film) but I would like to see the new Star Wars this May or June when its out in theaters. Is there easy access to a theater from the trail? As far as where I'll be (it opens May 19th) - I'll be leaving Trail Days (probably that Sunday morning) and headed north. - So any theaters along the way? Thanks for the help - and if there isn't a convenient theater, I can certainly wait for the DVD. :D

There is a Drive-In movie theatre in Warwick, NY. Not sure if they allow walk-ins though.

max patch
02-15-2005, 15:22
I saw movies at Abingdon, Waynesboro and Gettysburg. Waynesboro (just before the SNP) is the only trail town. My wife met me at Damascus and we drove to Abbingdon, I hitched into Gettysburg to walk around the Park and just happened to come across the theater.

The Solemates
02-15-2005, 19:13
We saw a movie in Roanoke because our family came up when a trip to Roanoke was needed. They picked us up at Peaks of Otter, shuttled us back to The Homeplace, and then we were off to Roanoke for a zero with them.

Jack Tarlin
02-15-2005, 19:25
There's also a movie theater right in the heart of Erwin.

Other places off the top of my head that haven't been mentioned are Front Royal, and the beautiful Nugget Cinema on Main St. in Hanover, which usually shows excellent stuff.

rickb
02-15-2005, 20:31
Yea, but have any of you found the only non-profit movie theater along the Trail?

It in Williamstown, MA.

Dang good art museum there, too.

rickb
02-15-2005, 20:39
Besides the Nugget and the others I failed to consider, that is...

Papa Razzi
02-16-2005, 13:17
Since you're going to be in Damascus, I highly recommend finding a ride to Abingdon and seeing it at the Cinemall. I used to live in the area, and it's a fantastic theater - one of the best sound systems in the nation. They've upgraded it to the Lucas Films state of the art specs for each of the last 2 Star Wars films. Plus, it's run by great people. The manager will often come out before shows and thank everyone for coming. He mentions that it's a family run business, and they appreciate everyone's business and patronage. I don't know if they still do this, but I thought it was a nice touch. One of my fondest movie memories was when Episode II came out and the manager addressed the audience while wearing full Jedi robes and wielding a pretty cool lighbsaber. He hadn't slept for two days straight, but nonetheless he was there to thank us for coming.

Anyways, their website is http://www.cinemall.com/

MOWGLI
02-16-2005, 13:31
Yea, but have any of you found the only non-profit movie theater along the Trail?

It in Williamstown, MA.

Dang good art museum there, too.

Poconos Cinema & Coffee Shop - 4 miles from DWG
http://www.poconocinema.com/

Although Asheville is a good long way from the trail (35 miles from Hot Springs), it is a town well worth visiting.

Asheville Fine Arts Theatre
http://www.fineartstheatre.com/

c.coyle
02-16-2005, 14:10
As far as I know, the Strand is still operating in Hamburg, PA., a hop, skip, and jump from Port Clinton.

Grenadeboy
02-16-2005, 15:24
Funny, was thinking the same thing. . . . ..

im heading out april 1st . . . . . . . . . .

Sleepy the Arab
02-16-2005, 16:32
I can lend my 2 pennies here...
I highly recommend the Abingdon Cinemall. I saw Episode I and the Mummy Returns. Come to think of it, I also saw the Matrix Revolutions too.

The Theater in Waynesboro closed down years ago. It is possible to get to the movie theater in Staunton - in 2004 it involved an inexpensive bus ride, and a perilous 3/4 mile roadwalk to see Spiderman 2. The cheap bus rides end at 5:30 though, so don't get caught out there. It costs 16.50 via taxi to return to town...

In Delaware Water Gap, rides to the Stroud Mall can be had if you are lucky, but don't count on it.

MOWGLI
02-16-2005, 16:44
I can lend my 2 pennies here...
I highly recommend the Abingdon Cinemall. I saw Episode I and the Mummy Returns. Come to think of it, I also saw the Matrix Revolutions too.

Sleepy, did you fall asleep during the movies. :D

Let me echo what Sleepy said. I saw one of my all time favorite movies in Abingdon during Trail Days 2001 - Oh Brother - Where Art Thou. During some of the bluegrass tunes, people in the theatre were clapping their hands and stomping their feet. It was awesome! Truly the most interactive movie theatre experience I have ever been a part of.

Blue Jay
02-16-2005, 23:42
No one mentioned Rangley, Maine. I needed a movie so bad there once I watched the Britney Spears movie, which was the only thing playing. Very embarrassing, but I enjoyed it immensely.

Youngblood
02-17-2005, 08:43
Blue Jay,

I know what you mean, I watched the Flintson's in Vegas in Buena Vista, VA... me and about 100 kids, but I enjoyed it at the time. It was a duplex movie theatre and the other show was a chick flick.

Youngblood

Sleepy the Arab
02-17-2005, 18:35
Sleepy, did you fall asleep during the movies. :D

No, but let me echo Blue Jay's post. I really needed a movie. Other film disappointments during hiking included Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me (Waynesboro, 1999, before the theater closed down) and Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back at the Nugget in Hanover. And I came this close to seeing the execrable Chill Factor in Lincoln.

Lion King
02-19-2005, 21:20
My Cup Of Joe here...I am a Movie Freak...or Superfreak...

Erwin, a short walk from Miss Janets

Gatlinburg IMAX

Abigdon VA.(Short hitch/bike ride out of Damascus)

Buena Vista VA--SUPER CHEAP, free refills on Corn and Soda!!!!!!! GREAT AIR CONDITIONING!

Staunton VA.(Short hitch out of Waynesboro)

Front Royal...right on Main Street, choice of two screens, right down from Laundry

About 15 miles from Harpers Ferry...cant remember the name of the town, but Laurie at The Outfitter can tell you where it is...

Gettysburg, hitch from Fayettville/Caldonia State Park

Cant remember any off hand in PA....

New York City...a short Bus ride from Vernon NJ, and cheap(The ride, not the movie, but its cooler if you go on line in VA and apply for Letterman tickets, by the time you hit NJ/NY you may be up to collect...its worth trying, I got in two different hikes! With BeatBox and BigGuy in 2000.

Williamstown Mass, North Adams

Ruthland Vermont, catch the Bus in Front Of The Inn At Long Trail, $2 gets you all the way to town, go by the Common Ground Cafe have some Mate while there.

Manchester Center Vermont...have a slice of Pie next door, or some chinese food...then hit the PRICEY ASS movie house.

Hanover...over priced, but then it is Hanover, have Baltimore Jack set up a movie screen in his yard, you bring the beer. :)

Plymouth NH, from Glencliff, if Packrats going in, you can get a shuttle, do your walmart shopping, hit a movie, etc...

Lincoln/North Woodstock NH...great town, if you can get out of the Brewery long enough, $5 movies on Wednesday night.

and I have never gone to a movie in Maine...its sacrilige or something....but I did stop by Stephen Kings place in Bangor.

cheers

LionKing