PDA

View Full Version : Thru-hike with insulin

True Blue
08-28-2011, 09:14
I am type 2 diabetic that takes insulin 1x day (Lantus). I would appreciate any ideas or tips for managing diabetic supplies on the trail. How do you keep insulin cool? What sort of snacks do you take?

4eyedbuzzard
08-28-2011, 09:37
My cousin faces this issue as well. I found this regarding unrefrigerated storage: http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/26/9/2665.full and http://www.rxpalace.com/DrugBriefs/Lantus.htm which seems to indicate that Lantus can be stored unrefrigerated for up to 28 days as long as the temp doesn't exceed 30°C (86°F). An 86°F limit would be tough for a thru-hike once in full summer temps, but there is likely some safety factor built into that limit and one might be able to use cold stream/spring water in ziplocks or nalgene ,ect with the package buried inside sleeping bag or other insulation inside the pack. Getting diabetic supplies periodically in trail towns shouldn't be a problem.
Diet and insulin dosgaes will have to be figured out, due to the large amount of calories you'll be using up, increased food intake etc. You'll probably have to test more frequently in the beginning to get an idea of what your blood sugar is doing under hiking stress. A doctor's input would obviously be prudent.

moldy
08-28-2011, 09:47
What does your doctor say about this trip?

True Blue
08-28-2011, 17:27
Next appt. is in Nov with my endocrinologist and CDE (certified diabetes educator). I'll make my thru-hike 2012 decision then after discussing with them. I would like to be well informed to answer any questions they may have. Thanks, buzz, for the links!

4Bears
08-28-2011, 18:07
True Blue, you can go to trailjournals.com and check out "Gatorgump" who is a diabetic and thru'd in 2007 might give you a little insight on what to expect. Definitly check with Dr.'s and work with them, you might take a good week or so of hiking before hand and keep close watch, then share the test results with them. It can be done there are a number of diabetics post on here so I am sure you will hear more, enjoy.

Wise Old Owl
08-28-2011, 18:54
can't help you on the drugs other than learning to regulate the temp - that's easy! We radiate a lot of heat through our skin, so a long time ago I made a sleeve from a solar shield for my water bladder. One from the dollar store, although its tight the sleeve is 1/2 inch bigger than the bladder so as its full its hugging the foil bag. Fill the bladder with cold water or stream water and place inside the sleeve and you have a device that will stay cool all day. slip the medicine between the sleeve and bladder away from the pack... or Add a second panel inside the pack bag.

Oh when the water hits your mouth and doesn't feel cold time to replace the water.

Enic
08-28-2011, 20:12
Hi, I'm a Type one, and have hiked a lot with insulin. As a general rule, insuin will last and be perfectly fine as long as it isn't exposed to extended high heat, air or too much sunlight. By keeping your insulin stashed in your pack, it should stay cool enough, as long as you get resupplies at least once a month. Using lantus pens instead of vial and syringe will minimize air and sunlight exposure.
I use a pump normally, but still decrease my basal to about a third of my normal dose when long distance hiking. So, be sure to talk to your Doc about what to expect. Everyone's diabetes is different, so use your knowledge of yourself and Dr reccomendations to make something work for you.

True Blue
08-30-2011, 13:46
Great tips all! That's exactly the kind of info I was looking for!

Slo-go'en
08-30-2011, 14:39
There were a couple of diabetics I knew of starting a thru-hike last spring. One was in denial and went into shock a couple of times, nearly killing himself. He didn't get far. Another, a 20 something, was having a hard time managing his suger levels and went home after a couple of weeks. Those of us around him had a sigh of relief when that happened. We were definately becoming concerned about his health.

I guess there are those who can do it, but it isn't easy, so good luck!