PDA

View Full Version : What's all this talk about pre hike preperation?

RITBlake
02-16-2005, 09:40
Just about every book I read about hiking the AT heavily stresses the idea that it takes intense preperation to complete a thru-hike. One author said that most people spend a year preparing for a six moth hike. I'm just wondering if I'm forgetting to do something. It feels like I don't have anything left to do except wait for June 1st.

Is this mostly attributed to assembling mail drops (which we arn't)?

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I hope I haven't forgotten something important. We've done endless gear research,done the shakedown hikes,read the books, watched the movies, started at pictures in the WB photo gallery for hours......ahhhhhhhh

The Solemates
02-16-2005, 09:42
Go on some trail runs every couple of days.

Lone Wolf
02-16-2005, 09:45
You're fine. Just wait til June 1st. Most people over-plan. I decided in July of 85 to thru-hike and two months later I was ready to go. Was a long 6 month wait till March.

Footslogger
02-16-2005, 09:59
For the most part the trail itself will get you in shape for hiking. Just start out slowly and ramp up based on feedback from your body.

But one thing I would suggest in the months prior to your hike is to do some stretching and get outside for some long walks with your backpack.

'Slogger
AT 2003

max patch
02-16-2005, 10:39
Just about every book I read about hiking the AT heavily stresses the idea that it takes intense preperation to complete a thru-hike.

Thats a pile of BS. I quit my job and over the 2 weeks as I worked out my notice I did all of my "planning" at night after work and on the weekends. If I can do it anyone can. Planning and thinking about your trip may be fun but it isn't necessary.

wacocelt
02-16-2005, 10:40
Eat like a horse and take lots and lots of naps. You'll lose the weight you've gained while wiating when you start hiking and the naps make the time go by faster. Better yet, don't eat like a horse, but instead horse like foods...

It's my opinion that most 'plans' for an AT hike weight as much or more on a hiker than thier pack does.

TankHiker
02-16-2005, 11:04
You'll be fine. I've never understood all the planning and preparing either. In fact, that kind of preparation can put a lot of pressure on a person to complete a thru-hike. I think it's better to just go. The trail will prepare you.

-TANK

Spirit Walker
02-16-2005, 11:42
The trail itself doesn't take all that much planning, though I think that those who do some research have a deeper understanding and appreciation for the trail than those who don't. It's one thing to blindly follow the white dots, it's another to have some sense of the history of the trail, the land it passes through, the hikers who went before you, etc. Some kinds of preparation will increase your chances of finishing the trail - getting decent lightweight gear, getting into shape, finding out whether or not you enjoy hiking and camping by doing it, etc. If you are doing maildrops, preparation can take more time with figuring out your itinerary, dehydrating, shopping, etc. Those who are willing to 'wing it' need much less prep time. My first thruhike I spent three months getting ready, my second I had three weeks to buy gear, shop for the first few hundred miles (I did maildrops at Neels Gap, Wesser and Fontana) and pack my apartment. But I knew what to expect and I was in good shape, so it was easy.

What can take time is getting your off trail life in order. Packing an apartment or house, organizing bills, mail, trail support, insurance, car registrations, etc. can take months. We will have to sell our house and probably our vehicles before our hike next year - that means fixing the house up - paint, carpets, etc. and getting everything moved into a storage unit again, one pickup load at a time. If not for all the off trail stuff, we would be on the road this year, but I can see no way we can get the rest of it together in two months. If you are young and have few things to deal with, no problem. If you are middle aged and have a home, cars, etc. it can be a much bigger issue. Those who have non-hiking spouses have a certain advantage there - but I would rather go with my husband than without him, even though it makes the disruption of our lives so much greater.

Jaybird
02-16-2005, 11:47
Just about every book I read about hiking the AT heavily stresses the idea that it takes intense preperation to complete a thru-hike. One author said that most people spend a year preparing for a six moth hike. I'm just wondering if I'm forgetting to do something..........etcetcetc.

YO RITBlake:

Do a few weekend hikes in some "similar" terrain....loads of ups & downs...
like wuz said before....take a few "trial, trail runs"....

and after a week or two on the trail....you'll find out what you've forgotten
& what u shoulda brought....hehehehehehe :D

hungryhowie
02-16-2005, 11:49
People are different. Some people like to try to plan everything out to the last detail, others just show up at the trail head and ask start walking.

I was more of a planner than not, and was surprised the year after my hike when a fellow walked in to my outfitter and began asking me questions about his up and coming thru-hike, which was slated to start that weekend. He hadn't done any advance planning at all. Truthfully, I didn't think he was even going to make it to Amicalola, but he started that weekend and made it the whole way. Shows it can be done.

Planning guides, I think, are made for people who like to plan. Naturally, they continually stress the need to plan to constantly reaffirm your justification for buying the guide.

-howie

MadAussieInLondon
02-16-2005, 11:59
the AT will condition you as you hike, so I dont think any preconditioning is required.

the PCT however will kick your but if your not in shape from what I can tell.

i think all the prepartion that is needed is you have your gear and no how your gonna get to the trailhead :D anything beyond that is too much or not enough heheheh

hikerjohnd
02-16-2005, 12:27
I have been dreaming about my hike for years - I started seriously planning in 1993 when I thought I would be able to go. Those plans were shelved and resurfaced in 1996 when I thought I'd be going again. Once again the plans were tabled until 2001 when I thought that once again I'd have the time to hike through. Finally, I am going this year.

I was curious about how my plans had changed so I looked up my 1993 plans and wow! How time has given me a more realistic outlook on the hike.

That said, I think long term planning is actually counter productive and more time consuming as plans change. I read about folks who will be thru-hiking in 2010 or later and I can't help but wonder what will change between nopw and then.

I firmly believe that prior planning prevents poor performance (yes the comment is edited for G rating), but over planning can be problematic as well. My planning is more detailed than I would like, but because of funding issues, I have to have more solid plans. that said - I have been walking with a full pack to condition myself somewhat, but I know that will not fully prepare me for the trail. Months and years of serious planning and preparation is overkill - there is enough info availible to allow an individual to be ready in a short period - a month or less. :)

broodX
02-16-2005, 15:39
I "micro-managed" my hike before I started. Had a achedule and everything. You know, which shelter to stay at, how long between my resupplies. By Damascus I had run myself ragged. I hiked faster than I thought I was going to and got ahead so I had to wait for my drops then book it to the next town. I took a week off, went to the beach and did nothing the whole time. My suggestion. Get your ALDHA Companion, cut out the pages from Hiawassee North, mail them to yourself at your first drop. And continue on like that. After I surrendered to the "flow" life was perfect. I do suggest planning out your drops though. Thats about it. Enjoy your walk and your life. When you get to PA hit me with an email ([email protected]) and I will see about catching up with you on a Fri or Sat for a little bit of anticipated magic.:banana

Spirit Walker
02-16-2005, 15:50
the AT will condition you as you hike, so I dont think any preconditioning is required.

the PCT however will kick your but if your not in shape from what I can tell.

i think all the prepartion that is needed is you have your gear and no how your gonna get to the trailhead :D anything beyond that is too much or not enough heheheh
I saw a lot of folks on the trail in Georgia who had done little or no training. They were miserable with blisters, tendonitis, shin splints, sore muscles, etc. Carrying a pack uses different muscles than just walking. It takes practice to build the muscles. If you are in a lot of pain it gets much harder to keep going day after day. You get no joy out of the experience when all you can think about is how hard it is. Yes, you will never be in real trail shape except by hiking a trail, but you can increase your enjoyment in the first days and weeks of your hike by being conditioned. It isn't that hard to spend an hour or two a day to get in shape, with hikes on weekends with a pack to get used to backpacking.

There is also the question - if you care so little for hiking that you aren't willing to make an attempt to get in shape for your thruhike, why do you think you will enjoy hiking all day every day for month after month? Do you enjoy hiking or not? If not, why do a thruhike?

rambunny
02-16-2005, 15:54
I met a guy who had walked from Springer to Damascus-no data book no info and in Damascus asked what the white blazes were. This blew me away as i was an overpreparer-just goes to show what it takes is wanting it bad enough-not preperation Good Luck

rickb
02-16-2005, 16:22
"It's one thing to blindly follow the white dots, it's another to have some sense of the history of the trail, the land it passes through, the hikers who went before you, etc."

I missed way, way too much of that stuff.

Since Harper's Ferry was down a blue blaze (back then) and I was well supplied, I didn't even feel a pull to stop there. You can imagine what else I walked on by with blinders on. It was my loss.

Stuff that seems so trivial on the net, could really be neat to think about and ponder as you walk. Learning about the history and Natural history of the AT is something I wish I had done much, much better.

Rick B

(By way of one example, every hiker might consider renting "To Hell and Back" with Audie Murphy before heading out, eh, Sgt Rock? I had no idea who he was.)

max patch
02-16-2005, 17:13
It's one thing to blindly follow the white dots, it's another to have some sense of the history of the trail, the land it passes through...

Which is exactly why I carry the Guidebooks on nearly all of my hikes. Not trying to start a debate -- the Guidebooks are NOT needed to complete a thru -- but I'm interested in the information they contain. And I don't mean the detailed trail descriptions.

dontstop
02-16-2005, 20:05
I was in awful shape when I started. I just took it easy until I got into trail shape. It will happen soon enough. Enjoy eating in excess now. You will lose it soon enough.

Baker
02-18-2005, 00:12
To Hell and Back was the first war movie I ever saw. It stuck with me... Years later, when I saw the audie murphy monument in the companion, i knew i would have to have lunch there, pay my respects, etc. One gentlemen had left his military ID, others flowers.

Relating to rickbourdie's comments, can anyone recommend a good natural history book ?

One Leg
02-18-2005, 01:01
In 2002, I made the decision to hike the A.T., and started "planning" then. I began by buying some used gear from EBay. Thinking I was getting a good deal, I plunked down $400 for a 'complete' conglomoration of TNF gear (including a TNF pack)....I made plans to hike the Laurel Highlands (at the advice of a friend who's employed by N.C. Outward Bound).....When I hit the Laurel Highlands Trail, I did so with a packweight that was in excess of 55 pounds. First thought was "I ain't ever gonna make it".

Learned a lot from that hike, which, incidentally, I did complete. The most valuable lesson I came away with was that I didn't need half of the stuff that I started out with. When I started my A.T. hike in March of 2004, I did so with a starting weight of 32 pounds.

A practice run would probably do you a world of good, even if that practice run is in your back yard. It'll give you an overview of what you have, and a good idea of what you can eliminate from your gear.

Just my $0.02 worth.

One-Leg

Rift Zone
02-18-2005, 11:54
I agree that intense preperation is... well.... :datz not all that necessary.

One Leg captures the essence of the most preperation you will need... It is the gear! Go as light as you can while still covering your bases... You will wind up that way if you thru. Might as well start off that way.

Kozmic Zian
02-18-2005, 22:43
Yea......In my humble opinion, preparation for a Thru-Hike is essential. Most of us cannot, without some knowledge of, or pre-thought, attempt a monumental physical and mental super-marathon like a Thru-Hike of the Appalachian Trail, without some kind of preparation. Shucks ya'll, that's half of the fun, and Unless you're independently wealthy, and can afford to go through lots o' trial and error about everything that's involved, it makes common sense to do everything one can to get it right from the start. These guys who say it easy, bla, bla....that's because they're all experienced hikers. It may seem easy to get ready now, but ask them what they did 1st time they hiked.

Other wise you could just get up there and find out you don't like this hiking ****. End up going home. What Thru-Hike! You ain't gonna be no Thru-Hiker if you don't understand the importance of preperation. It dosen't take 6 months, why heck, any grofflemyer could figure it out in a couple o' weeks if they had to. But you better know your gear, break in your boots, know your food and diet. Know something about the Trail, why you're there, even. Lots of thought and mental prep, + it don't hurt to be in some kind of conditioning, so's ya' don't wanna quit, cause it's too damn hard.

Most of the quitters quit 'cause they didn't know the Trail was so hard. They make tons o' excuses, but the main one is they were unprepared for the overwhelming complexity of the effort.

You wanna' Thru Hike, take extra time before you leave to prepare yourself mentally, physically, and anyother way you can, 'cause let me tell you, brothers and sisters, Thru-Hiking the AT is no freekin' cakewalk(if it was there'd be a 90% completion rate, instead of the other way round), you better be ready, or you'll be comin' home early>IMHO. KZ@