PDA

View Full Version : Neels to Unicoi hike in September. Any suggestions on transportation?

jtlee1
08-28-2011, 09:45
3 Hikers, would like to leave vehicle parked at Unicoi, and have someone drop us off at Neels to begin the hike. What would be considered a reasonable cost? Any suggestions?

thanks in advance!

jtlee1

deeddawg
08-30-2011, 09:24
Joyce and Sally. Best part is you can drive to their place in Hiawassee, leave your vehicle there, and then they'll put it at Unicoi the day/time you want. No worries about finishing your hike at a broken-into vehicle.

See http://whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=shuttles

phobos
08-30-2011, 17:20
Thats pretty cool, i might ask for their help when I finish up GA in OCT.

generoll
08-31-2011, 10:25
Note that Bly Gap is inaccesible by car. You can either backtrack and try for a pickup at Blue Ridge Gap or press on for a pickup at Deep Gap in NC.

Sir-Packs-Alot
08-31-2011, 12:55
The man who shuttled Bill Bryson from the airport in the famous book "A Walk in the Woods" is the incomparable Mr. Wes Wisson. This guy has saved my bacon a lot over the years - fair prices and a kind and dependable soul. I still consider him the Best Shuttle in Georgia and make it a point to call him before anyone else. Anyone who has ever dealt with Wes feels the same. Call him at 706-747-2671 and he can shuttle or move vehicles or any combination thereof.

usmcpayne
08-31-2011, 13:21
Be advised, Joyce and Sally do not shuttle people in September. Im hiking from Fontana to the approach trail Sep and Oct. The one you need to contact is Survivor Dave. Outstanding guy and down to earth. He's located in Georgia as well. His number is 678-740-5011. Tell him Dustin from Huntsville sent you to him.

deeddawg
08-31-2011, 16:22
Note on generoll's note: Blue Ridge Gap pretty much needs a high-clearance 4WD; closest a car will get is about a mile down the FS road. (or can go take the long way around and get there from the east?)

jtlee1
09-02-2011, 12:55
Hey, thanks everybody! Secured a shuttle with Wes Wisson. Very reasonable.