PDA

View Full Version : Where I Stopped - Saunders Shtr

The Weasel
02-16-2005, 13:46
This (Saunders) is a wonderful shelter, and where I suspended my hike in 2000. It's a nice stopping place after coming out of Mt Rogers, with an incredible view. Very good open areas for tenting and hammocks (my first hammock night, after I bought one of the earliest at Trail Days in '00!). While the shelter itself is sort of you basic AT shelter, it's a good place to rest.

It's also an excellent section-ender, I suppose (saying this with a bit of tristesse!) since about a mile downhill from it is a very adequate parking lot.

The Weasel

Kerosene
02-16-2005, 15:07
The Weasel is one of the few posters that uses words I can't even infer the meaining of. From the Merriam-Webster on-line dictionary:

Main Entry: trist·esse http://www.m-w.com/images/audio.gif (javascript:popWin('/cgi-bin/audio.pl?fwtris01.wav=tristesse'))
Pronunciation: trE-stes
Usage: foreign term
Etymology: French
: melancholy http://www.m-w.com/images/pixt.gif

Lugnut
02-16-2005, 15:15
While I appreciate fancy words, no mention was made of "which" shelter you found so appealing! ;)

Sounds like Old Orchard.

The Weasel
02-16-2005, 15:27
Never knew 'tristesse' was fancy, but OK. As for the shelter, this is in the "Saunders Shelter" thread, but I've edited the post to make that clear, too. Thanks!

The Weasel

orangebug
12-05-2005, 01:55
A neat little thing about the Saunders Shelter.

Remember the old Gooch Gap shelter with one way in and another blue blaze that put you further up the trail on your way out?

For SOBO's follow the sign taking you down the hill into the shelter. You'll see a blue blaze left turn a 100 yards before the shelter. That blue blaze appears to be old AT, and takes you to the AT south of the peak of the hill above the shelter, saving you climbing and probably 1/4 mile. There is a sign on the tree beside that blue blaze, but is not legible in wet snowy conditions.

Cabin Fever
11-08-2007, 19:32
I scoff at Blue Blazing! Has anyone been here lately?