PDA

View Full Version : Mau-Har Trail

smokedog
02-16-2005, 14:39
Have any of you walked this trail? I am considering taking it from VA 56 to Maupin Field Shelter rather than the A.T. I have read that it is pretty difficult but 4 miles shorter than the A.T. Also, supposed to be pretty senic. I am not a thru hiker nor a purist, therefore if I could cut 4 miles off of this section and see better scenery I'd be all for that.

rambunny
02-16-2005, 15:14
I have hiked it-being a purist tho i went back and did the 4 but it is very pretty-not as well maintained as the AT but i'd recommend it. Happy Trails

chris
02-16-2005, 16:16
I hiked it, and it is very difficult. My suspicion is that it would cut off about 10 minutes time. I hiked it because I wanted some water falls and pools to swim I (I didn't, there was a strange AC effect). Neat trail, but very tough.

jlb2012
02-16-2005, 16:20
I've backpacked it as a circuit but I was going the other direction - from Maupin Field south then back north on the AT - just my opinion but I think that either route is just about as tough as the other. The scenery on the Mau-Har wasn't all that much - the water fall was hard to see through the brush and I didn't feel like bushwhacking down to the base of the falls. One semi-nice campsite near the falls as I recall - I didn't stay there but rather continued on and stayed at Harpers Creek shelter. If there are thunder showers forecast then take the Mau-Har - you are a lot more exposed on the AT in that section.

smokedog
02-16-2005, 16:28
I hiked it, and it is very difficult. My suspicion is that it would cut off about 10 minutes time. I hiked it because I wanted some water falls and pools to swim I (I didn't, there was a strange AC effect). Neat trail, but very tough.
Just what I needed to know. Thanks all.

Sleepy the Arab
02-16-2005, 16:40
In 1999 I took the A.T. In 2001, I took the Mau-Har. In 2004 the deciding vote was cast for.....the A.T. I thought the Mau-Har was more effort than it was worth, and the view from Three Ridges was better than a waterfall.

On a more personal note, I swear that the Mau-Har was put there by the devil. First to tempt purists with a savings of 4 miles, and then to turn into an obnoxious butt buster once it's too much trouble to turn back.

VAMTNHIKER
02-16-2005, 19:58
I did a circuit from Reeds Gap last fall (south on AT/north on Mau-Har)... much better views on the AT.. sometime for the fun of it I will do it the other way..

..both shelters have great areas for hammocks...

Groucho
02-16-2005, 23:04
According to my Maptech about 1300' less climb and 3.3 mi. shorter. The creek is a popular spot esp. on summer weekends. Couple of nice camping spots. Met a couple of guys walking back to 56 from the waterfall/cascade with a LOT of photo equipment who were fuming about how unscenic it was; never did understand exactly who they were mad at.

With good flow there are a couple of fair wading pools. A couple of good mossy camping spots there too.

Do you really want to deny yourself the pleasure of climbing up Chimney Rock?

orangebug
02-16-2005, 23:10
I did it while there was a pretty big fog and drizzle, expecting no views on the AT. The rocks along Mau-Har were a challenge, but I thought is was a scenic trip as I enjoyed the rocks and the creek.

Damn, that probably means I'll never get to collect a 2000 miler rocker. :)

borntired
02-21-2005, 02:35
I walked it once and thought the rocks, creeks and pools were gorgeous. It's hilly, but what aint?

Kerosene
02-21-2005, 10:54
I was going SOBO and did the official AT up and down Three Ridges, mostly in a light rain and windblown fog. I would have hated to be going NOBO on a hot humid day. I did speak to a number of hikers who did the Mau-Har: Those that tried to use it as a time savings short-cut were severely disappointed, while those that were looking for something a little different loved it. If I ever get back to that area I would definitely opt to try it.