PDA

View Full Version : Old Elpaso Precooked Taco Meat

Moose2001
02-16-2005, 19:15
Anybody else seen this stuff? I saw it in the supermarket over the weekend. It's made by Old Elpaso and it's precooked taco meat. It comes in a sealed "bowl" about the size of a margarine tub. I'm thinking that since it's precooked and sealed, it would be good to carry out of town for dinner the first night. The thought of real live tacos on the trail just makes my mouth water!!!

BookBurner
02-16-2005, 23:02
If Mexican food is your preference, I suggest trying Fantastic Foods Instant Refried Beans. Add one cup of boiling water to the dry bean mix, wait 5 minutes, spoon it out onto two burritos, add some leftover Taco Bell sauce, and you've got a south-of-the-border fiesta on your hands. It always my first meal out of town and always the envy of my fellow hikers.

Enjoy--

BookBurner

www.enlightenedthruhiker.com

wacocelt
02-17-2005, 09:13
Moose, I grew up in Texas, tacos are printed into my genetic code. I've checked out the ground beef in the foil pouches and if the stuff in bowls is the same you'de be just as well off eating Alpo tacos. Not trying to be disparaging, just a warning bud!

Lone Wolf
02-17-2005, 09:16
He's right. The stuff tastes like ass. Just carry fresh burger out of town.

oldfivetango
02-17-2005, 09:28
He's right. The stuff tastes like ass. Just carry fresh burger out of town. Depending on which end of the cow the cuts came off of there is a
50-50 chance that it really is!
Cheers to all,
Oldfivetango:bse

Moose2001
02-17-2005, 10:11
Chris - thanks for the warning. I hadn't heard the comments about the foil pouchs of hamburger. I guess there's only one way to find out for sure and that's to buy some and try. Think I'll be having some tacos this weekend! I'll post my feedback on the taste.

wacocelt
02-21-2005, 11:08
How did the taco experiment go Moose? I'm hoping you're still around to tell the tale! ;)

Moose2001
02-21-2005, 13:04
I can sum up the experiment in one word.......YUCK!!!

The stuff is WAY overseasoned. They used the dried taco seasoning instead of salsa. After about half a dozen bites, I just couldn't stomach anymore. Back to the drawing board I guess.

wacocelt
02-21-2005, 14:42
Hey Moose, in 03' when I met Tinman (antigravitygear) he was carrying dehydrated hamburger which had been seasoned with soysauce and other stuff. It was so good you could eat it on it's own.