PDA

View Full Version : After AT completion

Easyhiker
12-09-2002, 18:07
After completion of hiking the AT I am more likely to .......

EarlyRiser
12-09-2002, 20:51
hike the at again, and also the other two and possibly more and more and more... you get the point.

DebW
12-09-2002, 21:17
I'm planning on the Long Trail next summer, even though I've only finished 300 miles of the AT. (I have reasons for waiting a couple years on the AT.) I've always wanted to do it, and a thru only takes about 3 weeks. A year or two ago I ran across the post below somewhere on the net, and liked it so much I kept a copy. It really makes me want to hike the Long Trail.

Re: After the hike, which one?
by Kilroy 1996
Jan-11-01 3:16am

Hey Howie,

Couldn't help but write when I noticed your plans to southbound the
LT. I Southbounded the LT in September '97 and I'm not too proud to
say this: it kicked the everluvin S#!#T out of me! The LT's version of
Katahdin is a monster hiding under the pseudonym Jay Peak. After that
is some of the toughest ups and downs ANYWHERE.

Of the hikers I met in '97, there were only 8 southbounders I know of
- every one of us agrees it was a HUGE mistake to do it southbound.
Every northbounder we passed said they simply could not believe we
were still doing it - the hike that is. Most of them were dying too.

I can also honestly say that there's nothing on the AT as difficult as
the northern sections of the LT. Nothing. Not one AT thruhiker (myself
included) was anywhere near prepared for what we found - with the
possible exception of native Vermonters. One guy I hiked with had this
to say about the treadway (excerpt from my jurnal), "If it aint
frozen, it's pure muck! If it aint frozen and it aint muck, it's a
solid slab of moss-covered granite a 100 feet high and straight up!
And I do believe the trees are trying to kill me!"

Ok, I feel better now. That being said, the LT is perhaps my favorite
trail ever hiked. It's home to 3 of my top 5 favorite mountains:
Camels Hump, Mt. Mansfield, and Mt Abraham. The shelters on the
northern section are simply fantastic - they're actual cabins with
wood-burning stoves, porches with rocking chairs, awesome views, the
works. When you stand at the Canadian border and look around, there's
... nothing but forest. Forest for days. The north Vermont woods have
a wild feel I've enjoyed in very few places.

Howie, oh Howie, are you in for a great trip! If I wasn't hiking this
year, I'd be jealous! But you might want to consider doing it as a
northbound trip. I really think you'll enjoy it more. The best stuff
is in the north and you'll give yourself a week or so of warmup before
taking a left at the Maine Junction - where the fun starts.

Also, in case you haven't thought of it yet, grab a copy of the LT
Guide put out by the GMC. It's pretty good.

Happy trails, mate!

Lone Wolf
12-09-2002, 21:25
Hey Deb. I was a snowmaker at Jay Peak for 10 years. I lived about 3 miles from the end of the LT. I used to snowshoe on the LT in the winter. The blazes were at my ankles! The LT rocks up north!

Hammock Hanger
12-09-2002, 22:55
I still have 343 miles of AT to finish ..... August > Oct 2003 >>>

Thru hike Basrtram Trail ..... April 2003

Finish northern half of Long Trail ..... June 2003

Do some section hiking in the Adirondacks ..... June, July, Aug 2003

Colorado Trail 2004

Looks like my hiking plans are made. :D

Hammock Hanger

Kerosene
12-10-2002, 01:40
DebW -- I heartily endorse your desire to thru-hike the LT. I did it with my little brother in August 1979, southbound. I had just graduated from college and spent much of the summer backpacking with future wife, brother and friends. Our first day out the temperatures in the valley soared to 94 degrees, so the climb up North Jay Peak was truly hellacious with millions of big, noisy flies. We heard the rumble of an approaching thunderstorm at the top and scampered down to Laura Woodward Shelter just as the rain started to fall...the first of 22 days with rain out of 26.

Certainly the terrain is tougher up north, but I loved starting up there. I went to grade school in Burlington and skiied over at Bolton Valley and Stowe on weekends. I had always wondered where those Long Trail blazes went to. It's a nice 3-4 week jaunt that I encourage everyone to consider.

I submitted my trail log to Hike Vermont awhile back, posted here. (http://www.hikevermont.com/enders/karaman/)

When I finally finish the AT I'll be in my late-sixties, but I'd really like to tackle the John Muir Trail and possibly the Superior Hiking Trail and Isle Royale.

Peaks
12-10-2002, 09:08
So many trails. So little time.

Sure, I'd like to do the AT again, but I'd also like to explore other trails as well.
I've done the LT almost twice now. But, Northfield Lake Placid Trail is on my list, as is finishing the 46er's, New England 4000 footers, and Northeast 115 highest. There's more, but that's only in the next couple of years I hope.

By the way, that northern section of the trail in Vermont is frequently called the "Long and Hard Trail."

SGT Rock
12-10-2002, 09:44
I would love to end up a hiker bum. Going from trail to trail. If it weren't for raising a family maybe I could. Maybe I will win the lottery :D

Hammock Hanger
12-10-2002, 11:28
The Northville Placid Trail is very beautiful. We slept on a lake almost every night. Sunsets... Loons... If you are an avivd hiker the terrain is fairly easy. We went 3 days w/o seeing another hiker. Then there was our first nude hiker, a guy @70-80. It was a birthday hike after a summer of camp instruction. LOVED it. Hammock Hanger

Jumpstart
12-10-2002, 15:56
We haven't been once since we got back in August. Can't seem to get motivated about going for a hike when it's just one mountain, just one night, just ten miles, etc... Hopefully will be able to shake it by mid winter and get some winter camping in.

RagingHampster
12-10-2002, 16:07
I live about 20 minutes from the southern-most point of the long trail. You actually have to start on the appalachian trail for a few miles before coming to the vermont border, where the appalachian and long trail coincede. This is my main place of hiking, the southern long trail. I hiked in the Breadloaf Wilderness, about 2/3 up the long trail, and it was the most brutal up and down muddy rocky hike I have ever done. Started at middlebury gap, hiked to breadloaf mountain, and back. Unbelievably straining. Flies are ridiculus. I used Avon SSS, and then broke out the deet when that didnt work. Water just trickles in the summer, and it's a million degrees out with 200% humidity (really). I'll never hike there in the middle of summer again.

On the other hand, I love places like Camels Hump, Stratton Mountain, Killington, and Mansfield. never went up Jays Peak. Camel's hump has this short side trail that ascends the whole mountain in a little over 2 mi. It's almost all rock, and beats the snot out of you. Hitting it from the long trail is much better...

I would love to hike the whole thing. I think I would take a little more than the 3 weeks to complete the 270 miles though. 3 Weeks would require 13 miles a day not including re-supplying. I would also start northbound in mid-september. Less mud, and you'd get the foliage when you reach Camel's Hump and Mansfield.

Now that I think of it, the southern third of th elong trail isn't that tough. You could easily pound 15miles out a day, and compensate for the difficult north sections. It would definetly be a tight squeeze though!

Trail Dog
12-10-2002, 20:33
Climb Mount Everest!!!!

after I complete the AT they tell me I'd have climbed Everest 16 times already!!!!!!

why not do it once for real?

Dog

Sleepy the Arab
12-15-2002, 13:59
In the near future, I hope to be hiking some longish trails, but not as long as the AT such as the Monadnock-Sunapee Greenway, The Metacomet-Monadnock Trail, the Long Trail, and quite possibly the Cohos Trail and Northville Placid Trail.

In the little-bit-further-off future, I'm thinking of the Allegheny Trail, the Tuscarora Trail and a potential yo-yo of the AT. Off in the quite-distant future, I'm thinking of the Mountain to Sea Trail and, well, just a host of others lurking on this half of the country. I have little desire to hike out West, although maybe when my beard is getting gray, I'll go seek out the PCT.

Sheesh, I may be dead before I hike all the miles I want to hike! If only I could get paid to do this....

Minerva
12-15-2002, 18:17
Hey Sleep,
I've hiked some of those trails you mention, the LT(2x), ALT, TT and MSGT so if you need any help with planning let me know.
Cin

mac
03-25-2003, 19:47
First, I salute you for fighting for our country, and to help free those oppressed around the world. Too often I think we as Americans forget what a priviledge it is to take off and walk across the borders of 14 different territories within a Soveriegn whole freely. Second, after the AT honeymoon in 2004, I think my wife and I will pursue the hiker bum status. Our next major hike after AT will probably be the over comercialized Macchu Picchu (she's always wanted to go), or Mt. Kilimanjaro. Outside magazine put out a book called Trekking: The Twenty Greatest Treks in the World, and that is our life's goals. Sounds a bit grand when I type it, but we would both rather be wet, cold, tired, and hungry on a stretch of some little traveled backcountry, than well fed and warm and tied to a desk!

Grimace
03-26-2003, 09:55
Hiking the JMT thid year. Perhaps the PCT soon to come.

chris
03-26-2003, 09:55
After doing 450 miles on the AT last spring, I'm off to try the PCT. 2600+ miles and about 105 days to do it in. So, I may not finish, which really isn't super important any ways. I'd like to do the whole of the AT at some point, along with the CDT, and the Pacific Northwest trail. I occasionally have mad thoughts about a hike from Manning Park (BC) to somewhere around Skagway. Or, a trek/float following the Green River all the way to where it meets the Colorado, and then following the Colorado to the Sea of Cortez. Or, paddling the Yukon and MacKenzie rivers. Perhaps a multiseason hike from Gaspe to the Olympics via a modified version of the Sea-to-Sea "trail". A traverse of part of the western desert, from Mexico to Spokane, passing through the Mojave, Death Valley, Black Rock, and eastern Oregon would provide some laughs. Yeah, I'd say the possibilities are pretty endless. It is just a matter of what order to do things in.

Haiku
03-26-2003, 10:47
Hey Grimace, when are you planning on hiking the JMT? I'm planning on doing it the first two weeks of August this year.

Haiku.

Grimace
03-26-2003, 11:00
Hey Haiku,

We're planning the first two weeks of July.

Redbeard
03-26-2003, 11:30
Too many choices:( I think I'll go back to motorcycles and beer for awhile.

warren doyle
09-09-2003, 13:02
"out of the cradle endlessly walking" the Appalachian Trail.

Sly
10-19-2003, 11:38
Why anyone would want to hike the AT more then once or twice is beyond me. The PCT is a much better trail and the CDT is better still.

WalkinHome
10-19-2003, 16:33
Plan on keeping hikes down to 300 miles or less. Long Trail, Coast to Coast-England, Tahoe Rim etc. Fits in more with my life style and comfort level. The AT was a challenge - not looking for challenges anymore.

steve hiker
10-19-2003, 18:31
Lots of people are partial to the AT because of the social factor. East coast types, y'know.

Sly
10-19-2003, 19:50
LOL... I'm at the point the less people I see the better. Plus I can't recall seeing over 1000 elk, mountain lion or griz on the AT.

Mini-Mosey
10-20-2003, 08:01
Hey Walkin' Home, I remember meeting you at Quarry Gap Shelter several years ago when you were thru-hiking; hopefully I have the right person; are you the guy who was thru-hiking with a nurse and you work on the trails in Maine(privies, you talked about composting privies)?

chris
10-20-2003, 08:53
Not having thruhiked the AT, it was hard to respond to this. But, after hiking the PCT this summer, the CDT looms large. Depending on snow pack in Colorado this winter, I may be heading north from Mexico this May. If the CDT doesn't happen, I might hike the AT. Then again, I've got this desert project in the works. Hmm, there is also a Superior->Pacific walk. Then there is a Finger Lakes+Bruce trail hike. Too much stuff to do.

smokymtnsteve
10-20-2003, 10:32
I'm gonna hang in in Monteray for a while watch for whales and read more Steinbeck...and have a fresh salad.

Presto
10-20-2003, 10:47
Really want to do a thru-hike of the Superior Hiking Trail with the Kekakabic and the Border Route. The next major one will be the PCT if I can figure out how to get outta work for another 6 months. Also trails in Alaska and, and, and, and... too bad I only have one lifetime for hiking.

ganj
10-20-2003, 11:35
Hike the PCT. There seems to be a swarm of 2001 AT hikers gearing up for PCT 2004.

Blister
10-21-2003, 11:15
Since I have already through hiked the PCT in 96 - that's out, Will do again someday. Long Trail - check. AT - check - next the CDT in 2005.

sdoownek
10-21-2003, 12:03
......turn around and walk home.

Skyline
11-14-2003, 00:37
•Foothills Trail in 2004.
•Wonderland Trail, maybe, in 2005 if the logistics can be worked out.
•Finish the North Country Trail in PA--a really beautiful place with VERY few rocks believe it or not!
•More side trails off the A.T. in my home state of Virginia.

MOWGLI
02-06-2004, 09:30
Since thru-hiking the AT in 2000, I have hiked the Benton MacKaye Trail in 2003. The trail was 93 miles at that time. I'd like to hike the 85 mile extension in the Cherokee NF & Nantahala NF when it is complete in late 2005. I'll be doing trail work on the extension on Saturday Feb 7 in Eastern Tennessee.

Have done the Foothills Trail in Western SC. It's a great trail.

Plan to do the AL Pinhoti Trail sometime in 2004, and probably the Bartram Trail in 2005.

It would be great to thru-hike the Cumberland Trail when it is complete in

Eventually I plan to hike the PCT. Hopefully my health will hold out and allow me to do it.

someday
02-06-2004, 14:18
Just too many trails out there, so we're taking early retirement in 53 days and going to go see how many trail miles we can get under our feet!!!!

SkunkleberryFinn
02-07-2004, 01:09
Has anyone ever considered packpacking across Europe after the AT? I haven't really looking into it too much but I heard it is quite a different experience. Just wondering what your thoughts were.

A-Train
02-07-2004, 15:14
Long Trail this summer for sure

Long Path in NY in the near future (perhaps summer 05')

PCT and/or a SOBO AT hike or late NOBO hike in the next 3-5 yrs

Smooth03
02-07-2004, 23:13
Hike Finger Lakes Trail or other 500-1000 mile trail this spring.

Next Summer bicycle cross country.

Grad School.

Avoid work again on a trail. Hopefully in Europe.

When I hit 30 and am tired of having worked for 4 years hike the PCT.

Hike the AT when I'm 70 with my kids.

screwysquirrel
02-08-2004, 01:22
Maybe try the Allengheny Trail sometime. Has anybody here ever done it? I know that it goes thru W. V. and Penn. but I was wondering about if it's maintained? :-?

MOWGLI
02-08-2004, 10:15
Long Path in NY in the near future (perhaps summer 05')

A-Train,

Outside the Catskills & Harriman, you're doing alot of stealth camping or you're staying in motels. It's a nice trail however.

One option is to pick up the AT at the junction of the Long Path in Harriman. You can take the AT to High Point, and then pick up a trail heading up the Shawangunk Ridge towards Minnewaska. You'll have to check with the NY/NJ Trail Conference to determine the status of the connector bewteen the AT & the Long Path at High Point State Park. I'm not sure if that trail is being regularly maintained.

You do not want to miss the area around the Bashakill Wildlife management area. It can be be buggy in the summer, but it is a wildlife paradise. Nesting Bald Eagle & Osprey, along with plentiful Beaver & Muskrat, and so many different breeding songbirds and waders that your head will spin.

Bear in mind you will hike days seeing no one else. To me, that is a big draw as an alternative to the AT.

A-Train
02-08-2004, 13:30
MOWGL,
Your descriptions entice me even more. I do want to try to figure out a way to thru-hike the Long Path, though i've heard it is hard logistically. Am planning a loop in Harriman soon using the AT/LP. I have heard about the High Point connector, though as you say im not sure its passable, i'll have to find out.
Started to hike a bit on the Highlands Trail over by Storm King Mtn and Black Rock ? Wilderness. There is so much good stuff in NY when you finish with the AT. Hope to see ya out there

Trail Dog
02-08-2004, 17:35
heres a dumb question.. how long is the long path?

I have heard great things about it

MOWGLI
02-08-2004, 17:51
heres a dumb question.. how long is the long path?

I have heard great things about it

I believe it about 350 miles, plus or minus.

Here's a great link to more info about the trail;

http://www.nynjtc.org/trails/longpath/index.html

Kozmic Zian
02-13-2004, 20:35
After completion of hiking the AT I am more likely to .......
After the AT in '96, all I could do was think about The Trail...all my pictures, people I met, things I did just kept going round and round in my head (Still Are!)....so I vowed to do it again, some day. In 2000 I got up there February 27th thinkin' there'd be a bazillion hikers up there for the millenium. So I better leave early....There wern't and I suffered for the cold and grey weather and ice, but actually I loved it. I slipped in the Smokys and hurt a knee, ended up in Damascus, went home. I wanted to Thru again....Sh**! So, I came down off the Mt and waited a year while I recouped my knee....Got a friend to go w/ me in '01 and went up again to Damascus, but could only get to HF that summer, as my wifes mother got sick and passed away. So now, been on hold for 3 years....almost kills me. I wanna' get back up so bad. I wanna finish The AT and go on to the CDT (northern section), and then to British Columbia for a solo up the coast Mts to Alaska. Maybe, another year get up to Denali and some of that wilderness up there above Ancorage. Then maybe Patagonia, or Nepal or who knows. Once you do this thing(distance hiking) it gets in your blood, like finest wine, and hooks you for ever.KZ@
__________________________________________________ ________________
A Man Can Stand Almost Anything, But A Sucession Of Ordinary Days....anonomous

minnesotasmith
07-05-2004, 10:50
Is to hike across Alaska two different ways. One (the first hike) would be to follow the pipeline from Valdez to the North Slope. The other would be to go along the south side of the Brooks Range. These last two would of course be summer hikes; I'm adventurous, but not out-and-out suicidal...