PDA

View Full Version : nobo or sobo?

kyerger
02-17-2005, 13:01
I need to make a choice. I was planning on going nobo on my hike. I can not start when I wanted to in April 06. I will be starting on June 4 2006. Should i go north and just get as farr as I can befroe cold weather or do a sobo? Please give your thoughts..Thanks white blaze people.

Lone Wolf
02-17-2005, 13:06
If it were me I'd go SOBO.

fantasmagris
02-17-2005, 15:01
Bottom line ya prob oughta go SOBO if yer fit, 'cause it's likely the only way you will finish a thru-hike. (Only if yer a super-fast hiker would ya have a CHANCE to finish NOBO). There are pros and cons each way, and I'm am sure others with far more experience will weigh in, here are jut a few factors pro/con for each way:

PRO SOBO:

1 - Fewer fellow hikers
2 - Beautiful scenery right off the bat
3 - Good hiking weather to start with

CONS SOBO:

1 - Difficult terrain up front
2 - BUGS!

PRO NOBO:

1 - Finishing late summer/early fall in VT/NH/ME is incredible!
2 - You can ease into trail life instead of having a wilderness experience right off the bat.

CON NOBO:

1 - Can be cold at start
2 - Lotsa company

Either way I hope ya have a great hike!

rickb
02-17-2005, 15:35
I post my fair share of drivel, but I dug something out of the archives that I thought was rather good (for me, at least). It doesn't speak to the logistics surrounding your start date, or that any number of itinerary alterntives might lead to the best thru hike for you. Rather, it speaks to the idea that going SOBO is no way any less magical as you trip unfolds.

Here were my thoughts on WHiteblaze in 2002 (and today):

The main reason for this post is suggest that the draw of Springer can be every bit as powerful as Katahdin. As a southbounder you get to feel a series of accomplishments right off the bat that can help give you the confidence to make it all the way. First you get to climb the badest mountain on the whole AT and report on your triumph to the hardened northbounders you meet up with. Then, you get to do the 100 mile wilderness. After that you will know that the Trail is something that you REALLY can do. (SOBOs might consider blowing off the Whitehouse Landing).

Wow. You get to follow this up with moose and spruce grouse and the Bigalows. When you get to Gorham, you will KNOW what you are capable of and that the AT is amazing in so many dimensions. But you also have the Whites to look forward to in a matter of days. Its really cool not only to hike them, but put them behind you knowing you have met yet another challenge.

But it gets better. Walking through pastures and up fire towers and wonderful places that just keep on coming. By this time you have probably been asked about bears 20 times and have been forced to say, no I haven't seen one. You can't wait, but are confident that your day will come in NJ or VA. You wonder if you really want to see a rattlesnake, and if the Smokies are everything that the NOBOs said they were (they are). As you move on, you walk along ridges that commond a view not of an endless sea of trees but of farms that are every bit as beautiful. Perhaps more so. The better-known hostels and AYCE places become something to look forward to in a way that is hard to understand, and are a motivation in themselves.

Along the way you wonder about how beautiful the trees must have been in the spring, expecially the rhodadendron, but console yourself with the knowledge that only a SOBO can stop and check out Hawk Mountain during fall raptor migration, and are pleased that you started a conversation with the quiet birders because they were able to point out a couple bald eagles among scores and scores of hawks. You get to enjoy a mid-week Fall quiet along the trail that is magic, and realize how crowded the Whites and Maine really were.

And Springer calls as to you as loudly as Katahdin ever could. When you reach your first 4000 footer down south (is it the Priest?) you laugh at how easy hiking it was. In fact, you can't help but wonder if the Northbounders hiked a different trail than you find yourself walking every day. Tough mountains down south? Yea, right ;-). The only thing that takes you by surprise is the fact that days are becoming so dang short, at a time your body has never been stronger.

When you get to Springer you may be alone and the sky may be gray. Its hardly a spectacular place, but you walk over to the plaque and know how special it was getting there. No champagne and hoots, but a quiet satisfaction that will stay with you for a long time.

A fine place to end a hike.

Rick Boudrie
ME=>GA 19AT3

Mountain Dew
02-17-2005, 16:16
Go Nobo or wait till next year.

kyerger
02-17-2005, 17:15
Thank u guys for the great input on this decision i must make. I was really looking forward to the nobo route but there are many reasons i can see for going south. If i go north it will be hot as hell when im hiking and i dont like that. All of u say the north is hard hiking and it will get easier as i go south. I have never been in the north east where the trail is ie: vt.nh. or maine. I get a weeks vacation this year so i think a drive that way is the way to go. The drive to hike the trail has been with me all my life and the 2006 hike is the right time for it. I allways thought of it as a nobo hike so this is all new to me. I wish i could start in April as i dreamed but I just can not. Thank u all for this great input. I love white blaze.

Ridge
02-17-2005, 18:01
if you are really going to start in June. I would probably do a "flip-flop" of some kind. Maybe from Harpers Ferry to Katahdin then Springer to Harpers Ferry. You will at least be in the Smokys for Fall season and avoid heavy snows up north. This kind of hike would probably work out ok.

Moose2001
02-17-2005, 18:26
How about start in mid-VA. That would put you with the Northbound pack. You'd go all the way to Katahdin with the northbounders. Then flip back to VA and go south to Springer. Your timing would be right to catch the southbounders that you passed earlier. This way, you would have the best of both worlds.

Pooja Blue
02-17-2005, 20:56
I agree with Ridge and Moose, do a flip flop.

Jack Tarlin
02-17-2005, 21:07
I also think Moose has a great idea.

You'd be starting in June, with great company. This is a great time to be in Virginia. You could proceed North, finish up in September (the best time to hike in Maine!) and then decide if you wanted to finish up your remaining miles or leave the Southern parts of the Trail for another year.

kyerger
02-18-2005, 10:56
I love the idea of doing a flip flop....it will give my body a chance to get used to the trail. so easy miles to start with....Is this true....Thanks all

highway
01-08-2007, 12:42
I post my fair share of drivel, but I dug something out of the archives that I thought was rather good (for me, at least). It doesn't speak to the logistics surrounding your start date, or that any number of itinerary alterntives might lead to the best thru hike for you. Rather, it speaks to the idea that going SOBO is no way any less magical as you trip unfolds.

Here were my thoughts on WHiteblaze in 2002 (and today):

The main reason for this post is suggest that the draw of Springer can be every bit as powerful as Katahdin. As a southbounder you get to feel a series of accomplishments right off the bat that can help give you the confidence to make it all the way. First you get to climb the badest mountain on the whole AT and report on your triumph to the hardened northbounders you meet up with. Then, you get to do the 100 mile wilderness. After that you will know that the Trail is something that you REALLY can do. (SOBOs might consider blowing off the Whitehouse Landing).

Wow. You get to follow this up with moose and spruce grouse and the Bigalows. When you get to Gorham, you will KNOW what you are capable of and that the AT is amazing in so many dimensions. But you also have the Whites to look forward to in a matter of days. Its really cool not only to hike them, but put them behind you knowing you have met yet another challenge.

But it gets better. Walking through pastures and up fire towers and wonderful places that just keep on coming. By this time you have probably been asked about bears 20 times and have been forced to say, no I haven't seen one. You can't wait, but are confident that your day will come in NJ or VA. You wonder if you really want to see a rattlesnake, and if the Smokies are everything that the NOBOs said they were (they are). As you move on, you walk along ridges that commond a view not of an endless sea of trees but of farms that are every bit as beautiful. Perhaps more so. The better-known hostels and AYCE places become something to look forward to in a way that is hard to understand, and are a motivation in themselves.

Along the way you wonder about how beautiful the trees must have been in the spring, expecially the rhodadendron, but console yourself with the knowledge that only a SOBO can stop and check out Hawk Mountain during fall raptor migration, and are pleased that you started a conversation with the quiet birders because they were able to point out a couple bald eagles among scores and scores of hawks. You get to enjoy a mid-week Fall quiet along the trail that is magic, and realize how crowded the Whites and Maine really were.

And Springer calls as to you as loudly as Katahdin ever could. When you reach your first 4000 footer down south (is it the Priest?) you laugh at how easy hiking it was. In fact, you can't help but wonder if the Northbounders hiked a different trail than you find yourself walking every day. Tough mountains down south? Yea, right ;-). The only thing that takes you by surprise is the fact that days are becoming so dang short, at a time your body has never been stronger.

When you get to Springer you may be alone and the sky may be gray. Its hardly a spectacular place, but you walk over to the plaque and know how special it was getting there. No champagne and hoots, but a quiet satisfaction that will stay with you for a long time.

A fine place to end a hike.

Rick Boudrie
ME=>GA 19AT3

Now that was good:sun

Tabasco
01-08-2007, 13:03
Go EBO, it's MUCH quicker.....then flipflop