PDA

View Full Version : Trail Days 2005

Lone Wolf
02-17-2005, 23:01
I attended a Trail Days meeting earlier this evening. It's looking like the routine for the campground will be the same this year. The campground will open Wednesday May 11th for walk-ins only and Thursday May 12th for those with vehicles. $10 will be charged per vehicle for the weekend.
Once again if you choose to drink alcohol put it in a Nalgene, plastic cup, etc. Open container laws will be strictly enforced.
No drums or loud noise after midnight at the campfires.
Shuttles will be running between town and camping again this year.
Dogs MUST be leashed.
The Hiker Talent show will be Saturday May 14th starting at 11:00 AM

New this year will be an auction to raise $$$ for "The Place" which is the Methodist Church operated hiker/biker hostel. This will take place at the gazebo area right after the Hiker Parade. The roof needs repairs and painting plus some other projects. The church's budget is slim. If you would like to donate money or an item to be auctioned you may call Mary @ 276-475-3441 or 276-492-6285 for more info. If you would like to send a check in any amount, make it out to "The Place" and send it to: The Place
c/o Tom Hayes
PO Box 4
Damascus, Va. 24236

There is another meeting March 10th. I'll attend and post anything new.

Jack Tarlin
02-17-2005, 23:43
Wolf:

This is very useful information. Thanks for sending it along.

SGT Rock
02-17-2005, 23:52
Wolf, have they thought of doing a "Hiker Garage Sell" in addition to the auction? I was thinking I have some old gear I could donate, but it would be more along the lines of old stuff someone might be able to use like at a garage sell, but not something someone might bid on.

Lone Wolf
02-17-2005, 23:56
Good idea Top. No it wasn't discussed. I'll bring it up at the next meeting.

Mountain Dew
02-18-2005, 01:05
Who's going to led the biker parade this year ? ;)

Lone Wolf
02-18-2005, 07:32
YOU and ME of course.

hikerjohnd
02-18-2005, 08:51
I second the garage sale idea - I have lots of gear that would do well in a sale that might not fare so well in an auction. If it comes to fruition be sure to post where we can ship stuff...

BlackCloud
02-18-2005, 14:04
I like this garage sale idea, ALOT!:-?

Big Guy
02-18-2005, 14:53
Wolf: I like the garage sale idea. Would recommend organizers approach vendors who will be selling products to donate to the auction/garage sale. I bet many would provide and item for such a good cause as the Place.

SGT Rock
02-18-2005, 19:02
Sure, I would be willing to throw in a new Ion Stove or two to the auction, and I bet my wife would love for me to throw in some old frame packs and such to the garage sell.

Lion King
02-19-2005, 21:34
How about this for an idea...

Get the hikers who are in town early (From Monday-Wednesday), as there will be a lot of them on Wednesday...have those who choose to, work from Wednesday through Friday early, and with the carpenter types, the builders, and the basically capable and hard working types who choose to be a part of it, repair the roof, after all is said and done, have each toss in $5-- use that money collection to have a cookout, drinkout for the hard wokers, donate whatever money comes in from the garage-gear sale to the Hostel, as they dont make as much as it is used for certian, this way, they collect money for other needs, the work gets done, the hikers look good, and all is great on the Damascus front.

I'll come in Early to help.

Just say the word

I vote Lone Wolf in Charge of Labor delagation.:D

SGT Rock
02-19-2005, 21:46
Ain't no way I'm working for that guy :(

stickman
02-19-2005, 23:06
L.W., I don't know if I can get down early enough to work, but I'll sure contribute items for a sale and make a contribution to the Place. I know not working sounds cheap, but that's going to be a tuff time for me at work, and I'm hoping to spend a few days at Kincora helping out down there.

Anyway, where is this campground going to be? I'd like to stay there for a night or two. I'm a total cherry boy at Trail Days.

Stickman

Lone Wolf
02-24-2005, 16:50
I spoke with one of "The Place" hostel committee members today. He said they've received several donations in the mail for the hostel. They are very appreciative. Thanks a bunch to whoever sent them in.
Also I mentioned the "hiker garage sale" idea. They think it's a great idea. I'll bring it up at the next meeting on March 10th.
Thanks again for the donations.

Mountain Dew
02-24-2005, 16:56
Thanks for doing what you do in regards to the hostel there in town Wolfie. There aren't enough hikers who live close to the trail that give back. GREAT JOB !!! :dance

Jeremy
02-26-2005, 20:02
Thanks for the info! I am planning to thru-hike this spring, I am hoping to make it to damascus in time for trail days. I was at trail days last year and I had a blast. My birthday is May 12th, so the festival is a nice present. I will have to donate some money to The Place, it is a wonderful hostel to have along the trail! See everyone in May!

J.D.
02-28-2005, 21:23
At Trail Days - Is the garage sale thing going to happen fer sure? I have a few things to donate INCLUDING this darned 11 shelf food dehydrator gadget that I just stubbed my toe on for the LAST TIME. *Somebody* would love this thing, right?

So... where/when should I present all of this...? To Whom....?

Thanks!

Lone Wolf
02-28-2005, 21:31
I'll go to the next TDays meeting (March 10th) and talk to the hostel committee. Most likely the "garage sale" will take place at the same time & place as the auction. I'll post a when/where/who when I know something. OR if you're feeling ambitious call Mary at one of the numbers in post #1 and get the ball rolling.

hikerjohnd
02-28-2005, 22:42
I'll go to the next TDays meeting (March 10th) and talk to the hostel committee. Most likely the "garage sale" will take place at the same time & place as the auction. I'll post a when/where/who when I know something. OR if you're feeling ambitious call Mary at one of the numbers in post #1 and get the ball rolling.
Assuming the Garage sale happens, where can we send stuff? :confused:

Lilred
02-28-2005, 23:05
Assuming the Garage sale happens, where can we send stuff? :confused:

Wolfe, let us know the day it's planned for. I'm trying to acquire some hiking gear for a high school club I'm starting. Sounds like something like this would be right up my alley. :D

J.D.
03-01-2005, 17:25
Per your suggestion, called Mary. BTW, she was unaware of the meeting on the 10th...<g>... If anyone wishes to send stuff ahead:
Mary Hayes
P.O. Box 4
Damascus, VA 24236

Mary will have the "Basket Booth" at Trail Days. Look her up there.

There is the "Town Yard Sale" the week before.
The Hiker Auction -"Probably" Saturday 05/14
The Church Hostel Auction - date...?

Definite time & place...?

Let us know after your meeting on the 10th, OK...?

Thanks!

generoll
05-11-2005, 19:02
My wife just informed me that she was NOT staying anyplace with portolets or without a shower. My choices are to get a motel in Abingdon or find a commercial campsite with the required conveniences. Any suggestions or tips? Besides a new wife I mean.

MOWGLI
05-11-2005, 19:06
My wife just informed me that she was NOT staying anyplace with portolets or without a shower. My choices are to get a motel in Abingdon or find a commercial campsite with the required conveniences. Any suggestions or tips? Besides a new wife I mean.

I'll be staying in Abingdon on Friday night. I believe at the Comfort Inn. It's a nice little town with some great restaurants. Its about 15 minutes from damascus. Check it out!

Hikerhead
05-11-2005, 19:18

Beartree Campground is about 7 miles up the road towards Mt Rogers on 58. Last year it was only 1/2 full at the most. Nice, clean, quite.
http://www.damascus.org/camping.html

attroll
05-11-2005, 19:21
wbdent Well I am out of here for a little while. I got out of work early tonight and we decided to leave tonight instread of in the morning with Frosty and PCM25. I am packing now and will be heading off to Trail Days in about 1/2 hour. That should put us there at aboput dinner time tomorrow. I am hoping to see a bunch WhiteBlazes there.

Sleepy the Arab
05-12-2005, 17:45
I'll be heading down myself in t-minus 11 hours, once I get out of work. Perhaps with a shoe eschewing woman or two...

TakeABreak
05-13-2005, 00:12
Hope you all have fun this year, at trail days. Personally I am not going to be able to make it. Maybe next year.

Tha Wookie
05-13-2005, 11:08
I'm on my way!!!:D

onetrack
05-20-2005, 22:37
i got that dehydrator and its only 10 shelfs.
please bring me the other shelf jd.we you come to visit us.
hows the soup?
great job on the donations,if every one was like you
i could only say. what a great world this would be!
we miss ya and sky already.email me soon.
onetrack
we had a great time with ya you again @ trail daze.
please get in touch with us soon.