PDA

View Full Version : Need help planning a rookie three day hike.

Millertime1223
08-28-2011, 13:29
Hello all, I would like to start off by thanking everyone for the wealth of knowledge i've already aquired from the site but I would also like to ask for help or suggestions regarding an upcoming trip i'm planning. A few buddies and I are planning a three day hike the second weekend in November. We are planning on starting at Amicalola and hiking to Springer Mtn the frist day, Springer to Hawk the second and Hawk to Woody Gap the third. All of us are Police officers here in south Ga and are in fairly good shape but not alot of hiking experience.

My questions are
#1= is this a doable plan for us?
#2=how much water should be availible for us to gather as we go?
#3=any special weather related items or terrain items we should consider other than the obviuos mountain hiking gear?
#4=any suggestions on getting back to our vehicle at the end of the hike?

wiregrass
08-28-2011, 17:22
Next door to you in Bainbridge. This is a very doable trip as this section was my first. Water was a little bit of an issue for us so encourge you to plan ahead for water sources. We used Appalachian Adventures in Daloniga GA to pick us up. Great service and reasonable. 706-265-9454. The approach trail is probably a little tougher than you may think. A few days of practice hiking at Pine Mountain Trail or Torreya State Park in chattahoochee Fl is suggested.

Millertime1223
08-29-2011, 12:46
Thanks for the reply. Would love to chat with you sometime about your experience hiking the trail. I've been walking about three and a half miles with my pack about three times a week trying to make sure im prepared.

bigcranky
08-29-2011, 14:00
Easily doable for people in moderately good shape. This is a nice section to hike - the Approach trail makes a good first day (and it'll be steep for less experienced hikers); the second day will be easier, and the third day a little more challenging. But all in all, a great plan.

Water: really depends on rainfall. Fall is usually the dry season, but the springs at the shelters are generally reliable. Call Mountain Crossings the day before you leave to see if they have the latest water info. As long as the shelters have water, the worst outcome is having to carry enough water for the whole day.

Gear: I would have a blaze orange pack cover, as that may be in the middle of black powder season (not sure the dates for Georgia.) Plan for lows around freezing, then check the local forecast before you leave and adjust from there. (Remember that the mountains will be 5-15 degrees colder than the city forecast.) I love hiking in November -- good views from the ridgelines, no bugs, cool days, and generally good weather.

Return trip: if you don't want to hitchhike (hitching is common and generally safe among hikers), then you can easily arrange a shuttle. Download the shuttle list from the Appalachian Trail web site (see this page, it's a PDF Link about halfway down (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiking/find-a-hike/parking-shuttles-transportation).) Make some phone calls in advance to arrange your pickup.

Alternately, you could arrange to leave your car at Woody Gap and get a shuttle to the park on your first day.

Sounds like a great trip, have fun.

JeF4y
08-29-2011, 15:14
Alternately, you could arrange to leave your car at Woody Gap and get a shuttle to the park on your first day.

From 1 newbie to another, this is my method. It's a lot easier to plan a starting time than an ending time =)

bigcranky
08-29-2011, 15:19
From 1 newbie to another, this is my method. It's a lot easier to plan a starting time than an ending time =)

True. However, it can come back and bite you in the a$$, especially on a longer hike. If you get a shuttle at the beginning, then get off the trail, you might need a second shuttle back to your car. This cost me a chunk of cash when my daughter got the most amazing blisters I have ever seen, and we had to get off the trail 150 miles from our car. (Having already paid for a substantial shuttle to our start point.)

max patch
08-29-2011, 15:35
Get the shuttle done first and hike to your car.

One other thing to consider...Woody Gap has the occasional break in. AFSP is the safest place to park in GA. If you hike SOBO you won't have to worry about the meth heads doing a quick smash and grab.

Sierra Echo
08-29-2011, 15:52
I had an "almost" incident Saturday. I went to hike the Sosebee Cove Trail off of GA 180 near Suches, very near the Woody Gap parking lot. Actually calling it a trail is generous as it is only a .3 mile loop. But its in my trail book, so I swung by there on a spur of the moment kinda thing to knock it out.
ANYWAY. I did this dinky little trail and I get to the stairs that lead to the little parking area for the trail. There was this beat up nasty grey mini van that had just pulled up behind my car and the driver side door opened. As soon as I got to the top of the steps and they saw me, the door slammed shut and the floored it getting out of there.
I don't know that they had planned to break into my car. It would have pissed me off if they had busted my window and stolen my brand new Granite Gear Nimbus Trace pack. Whatever the situation, I'm just glad I had gotten back to my car when I did.

Nutbrown
08-29-2011, 18:14
I did the exact same hike when I was just out of college 15 yrs ago. I had no idea what I was doing, so packed 3 pairs of clothes and about a weeks worth of canned goods. I bet my pack weighed 75#. I was sucking wind, but made it. You 5 O's are usually pretty fit, and you are well informed, so you will kill it on this hike! Enjoy!

Millertime1223
08-30-2011, 11:24
That's one reason we decided to park at AFSP,read that it was a safe place to leave a vehicle. And we are planning making this a regular trip and would like to pick up where we stopped when we come back in the spring.