PDA

View Full Version : People do die in Hurricanes.....

Wise Old Owl
08-28-2011, 17:18
Updated: 08/28/2011 03:34:04 PM EDT

The name of the victim has not been released; he was born in 1952, state police spokesman Thomas Pinkerton said.
Police said about 20 people where camping on private property off McClean Road in East Hanover Township. The man was inside his tent along with an unidentified female.
At about 5:45 a.m., it was discovered that a tree had fallen on the tent and on top of the male. That is believed to have caused his death, police said.
The female suffered head injuries and was taken to Hershey Medical Center. The Dauphin County Coroner was called to the scene.

http://www.yorkdispatch.com/news/ci_18775675

York, PA - State police said a man died overnight when a tree fell on top of the tent in which he camping in Dauphin County. The death was discovered at 5:42 a.m. Sunday on Mclean Road off of Rt. 443 East Hanover Township.
Approximately 20 people were camping in tents on private property, according to a state police news release.
The man, who was about 59 and from Harrisburg, was inside of his tent along with an unidentified female.
The tree fell on the tent and on top of the man, police said.
The female suffered head injuries and is at Hershey Medical Center for treatment. The tree is still on top of the man, and the weather and location is making removal of the tree difficult, police said. The Dauphin County Coroner is on scene.
This is weather-related and not believed to be suspicious, police said.

Feral Nature
08-28-2011, 17:25
May he rest in peace and may the woman be healed.

scope
08-28-2011, 17:29
Gosh, I saw the track it was taking earlier this a.m. and thought it was going straight up the trail. That's a lot of trail that has been affected, beginning with this tragedy in PA. Hope we don't hear too much more of this same stuff.

Wise Old Owl
08-29-2011, 21:17
Without pointing fingers - I started this thread because someone posted that hurricanes have no factor on the AT... I am sure after reading many books on Daniel Boone and Indian "stufF" that these folk move to a bald if they could find it or make it to hard shelter.... to suggest things have changed in the last three hundred years is just fluff...

Yahtzee
08-29-2011, 22:11
The gentleman was with a group of bikers on charity run to help Native American children get an education. His lady friend has been released from the hospital. Terrible, terrible. Happened a few miles south of Swatara Gap on the other side of the ridge from the AT.

My partner and I had a river gushing at us instead of trail in between the Kinsmans. I can only imagine what it is like up north. The fords in ME might actually live up to their reputation. Fingers crossed the only thing bruised on the fords and the wet spots is pride.

Rain Man
08-30-2011, 09:22
Without pointing fingers - I started this thread because someone posted that hurricanes have no factor on the AT...

Just a couple of weeks ago I crossed Hurricane Creek while driving in middle Tennessee. It got its name somehow, just as did the Wolf River, the Elk River, the Buffalo River, and so forth here in Tennessee. Yes, hurricanes are "factors" hundreds of miles from the ocean.

So sorry to read about the gentleman's death, and on such a worthwhile endeavor, too.

Rain Man

Hikerhead
08-30-2011, 11:44
Just a couple of weeks ago I crossed Hurricane Creek while driving in middle Tennessee. It got its name somehow, just as did the Wolf River, the Elk River, the Buffalo River, and so forth here in Tennessee. Yes, hurricanes are "factors" hundreds of miles from the ocean.

So sorry to read about the gentleman's death, and on such a worthwhile endeavor, too.

Rain Man

I thought it was commonly known that this creek was named after the Hurricane family that toughed it out and made a decent living in that wild area of Tn.