PDA

View Full Version : Am I ready?

ncmtns
08-29-2011, 09:26
My life long dream is to finish the AT. Did a bunch of sections so far... well...
my mom passed away a couple months ago to which I was her caretaker. My kids are grown and gone now. My wife of 30 yrs has left me 6 mos ago. My job is on the fringes and expect a layoff this winter. Im still in pretty good health.
What conclusions would you draw from all this? :confused:

Hooch
08-29-2011, 09:32
What conclusions would you draw from all this? :confused:It could be worse. Go hike.

lush242000
08-29-2011, 09:52
Sounds like a good time to disappear for about 6 months.

hikerboy57
08-29-2011, 09:56
Id wait until you found a new secure job, found someone you love who hates hiking, and die knowing I should have just hiked the AT then worried about everything afterward. go hike.

doritotex
08-29-2011, 10:44
By all means GO!! But, make sure that everything is in order before you leave, you might be so overwelmed right now and just want to get away from it all, forgetting that you might have dropped everything and it might be worse when you get back.
Have some money saved up if you come back jobless, don't come home to a pile of bills and the potential of being homeless. There is nothing better than a few days, a few weeks or a few months on the trail to clear your head and get everything in perspective, but if you come home to a pile of ***** to deal with, the hike wouldn't have solved everything!
Don't let anything stop you from living your dream! You will feel better about things when you set a goal and go for it!!

bigcranky
08-29-2011, 13:38
Man, I'm sorry to hear all that. Many people thru-hike a long trail during a period of transition in their lives. Sounds like you might be coming up on one of those periods, and might have the opportunity to fulfill a lifelong dream. As others have said, make sure all your ducks are in a row, then go for it.

Good luck.

Big Dawg
08-30-2011, 01:24
My life long dream is to finish the AT. Did a bunch of sections so far... well...
my mom passed away a couple months ago to which I was her caretaker. My kids are grown and gone now. My wife of 30 yrs has left me 6 mos ago. My job is on the fringes and expect a layoff this winter. Im still in pretty good health.
What conclusions would you draw from all this? :confused:

I'd say turn that frown upside down,,, :), and go fulfill your dream!!! Sounds like a perfect time!

Ender
08-30-2011, 09:31
Sounds like you've had a tough year, sorry about all that. I'm not of the opinion that hiking is a good way to escape from anything, but I do think it's a fantastic thing to do regardless. If the timing works out for you, you should totally go. You won't regret it. Good luck!

ScottP
08-30-2011, 10:29
I'd say you should plan to do a NOBO on the AT starting in, like, February.

Then do a SOBO on the PCT starting in July or so.

Get a two-fer in. Then go back to the working world knowing that you're a badass

strollingalong
08-30-2011, 11:18
sorry to hear for you problems. I had completely different situations, but my life went wrong in many different ways, 6 months later I walked the camino de santiago and then I was healthy, more spiritual, patient and happy. That could be an idea if you think the AT may be too hard. Super beautiful, a physical challenge, but nothing as hard as the AT