PDA

View Full Version : Springer to Neels - WATER

JeF4y
08-29-2011, 11:05
I know there are some issues with reliable water on stretches between Springer & Neels. We are doing this section this coming weekend - Sat through Mon. Intending to average 10 mi/day puts us in roughly the following locations:

Camp 1 = around Horse Gap
Camp 2 = around Woody Gap

I've looked at:
http://www.georgia-atclub.org/trail/water.htm

but some of the info is dated. Any advice on where I can pick up water along the way would be appreciated (aside from the obvious "top off whenever you find water").

Thanks.

-Jeff

FatMan
08-29-2011, 12:26
Water is a concern now. Springer is dry but since you're starting there that doesn't matter. Plenty of water between Springer and Hawk.You will have to fill up at Hawk Mtn Shelter and carry enough for your overnight at Horse Gap and then enough to get you over Sassafras and Justus Mtns to Justus Creek.

Plenty of water is available between Justus Creek and Grassy Gap: Blackwell Creek, Gooch Mtn Shelter, Gooch Gap, and Grassy Gap.

Then based upon what a hiker told me on Big Cedar yesterday the AT is dry until Neels. The hiker told me that Lance creek is no longer running (but I did not walk to the creek to confirm, he may not have known where to look for the creek). Water can be found by hiking the Jarrard Gap Trail down towards Lake Winfield Scott. But it will likely be .5-.75 miles to reach water. Worst case would be all the way to Lake Winfield Scott (1.2 miles).

So if it is true that Lance Creek is not running you will need to fill up at Gooch or Grassy Gap (1 mile north of Gooch down the old roadbed - not marked) and carry to Woody, and then enough to get you to Jarrard Gap and down the trail to hopefully some water before the Lake.

You might want to consider caching enough water at Woody to get you all the way to Neels. That would save you the hunt for water down towards the lake.

Good luck and hope it's not going to be a hot one. It was wonderful yesterday with low humidity so maybe fall is on its way.

JeF4y
08-29-2011, 13:06
Thanks FM. I was hoping you'd reply.

Good information to plan by. Having some information beats not knowing when the next source will be.

Cheers!

Bear Cables
08-29-2011, 13:35
We are hiking this section in late October. What are the chances of the water conditions changing for better or worse between now and then? Who on this board would be a good resource person to check with later in October?

FatMan
08-29-2011, 13:59
We are hiking this section in late October. What are the chances of the water conditions changing for better or worse between now and then? Who on this board would be a good resource person to check with later in October?Water is usually not a problem in late October.

JeF4y
08-29-2011, 14:47
Forecast has some chances for storms this weekend, so who knows, it may not be a problem this weekend! LOL.

long2bhiking
08-29-2011, 16:23
Similar question but for a different section. Any water news from Tray Gap to Tesnatee Gap? Thanks