PDA

View Full Version : Trail Conditions between Gorham and Stratton, ME

FallinAngel
08-29-2011, 14:37
Has anyone heard what the trail conditions are like from Gorham north to Stratton?

DLANOIE
08-29-2011, 16:00
Route 27 just past the Sugarloaf access road washed out during yesterdays storm. I dont know if they have fixed it yet as it was very extensive washout. i could not say much for the condition of the trail, but rivers are VERY swollen today.

Slo-go'en
08-29-2011, 16:50
Just back from a loop through Grafton Notch - road is fixed, no problems. Dam nearly washed out on the north road in Shelburn.

All in all, didn't see many trees down along the roads, rivers are swollen but receeding fast. Might be some new blow downs here and there and the trail a bit soggy for a few days, but not too bad. Nobody will know what the trail conditions are until people start getting back on there and report.

I think I might do Gorham to Grafton Notch starting in a few days with a thru-hiker friend I put up here at my home for the duration of the storm, so will find out first hand.

mudhead
08-29-2011, 17:43
DOT types were talking about 27 being closed for the week. Access to Stratton via 16.

May be less, but it was a chunk of road, and an upper part (s turns) may be undermined.

DLANOIE
08-29-2011, 19:53
Thanks for the update Steven. I was wondering how the western part of the state faired. There were a couple washouts around Sugarloaf, leaving people on the mountain with no way out! And atleast people in Stratton have an alternate way out of town. It may be a LONG way around but its a nice drive through moose country(route 16).

David

Gramps
08-29-2011, 20:10
I hope all of those who are finishing NOBO were able to seek shelter and ride out the storm and subsequent flooding. You made it this far and we all want you to finish safely. Good luck.