PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to start a thru hike in October?

Edibledog
08-29-2011, 17:12
Hi,

I want to do a long tramp (hike I think you say) and have time off in October. Is it too late (e.g. wet/cold/dangerous) to start hiking in October?

Cheers

Jake Barker

4eyedbuzzard
08-29-2011, 17:43
No. Not impossible, but definitely a winter hike. A thru starting in Oct in either direction is still going to see sub zero (F) temps and heavy snow at some point. But if you start in ME Oct 1 you'd better hike fast if you want to get south of the White Mtns by the time snow, ice, and full blown winter sets in. Going NOBO from Springer brings late winter into play in VT, NH, and ME and the spring snowpack can be deeper than you are tall, so it isn't a great option either. Winter thru-hikes just aren't that popular - cold, snow, etc. There's a member here, wolf - 23000, who's done a LOT of long distance hiking in winter. PM him. He'd be one resource. For just an early Oct to mid Nov hike though, the southern Appalachians including the Smoky Mtn and Shenandoah Nat Parks would be my choice. The later you go, the lower the elevation you should plan on.

fiddlehead
08-29-2011, 18:33
October is a great month to hike.
November is not as warm and a big problem is the long long nights.
December 21st of course being the shortest day in the northern hemisphere with 16 hour nights and 8 hour days (in New England anyway)

Being a Kiwi, you are probably used to rain and snow.
If you start in Georgia, you will most likely be fine up until around January.
If you start in Maine, it is the white mountains of New Hampshire that will be a big obstacle and they get bad weather throughout the year although Oct is normally a pretty good month but snowstorms could come up.

If I were you, I'd try a NOBO hike (northbound) from Georgia and hike until it gets either too: boring from the long nights, too cold, or too much snow. (keep in mind it's possible that NONE of those will happen to you although you WILL hit a lot of snow by Vermont)

If you insist on wanting to do the whole trail starting at that time, personally, I would start in Maine and head south until the weather gets too bad and then do a "flip flop" to Georgia and start NOBO.

Just be careful testing the limits.
What's your experience level?

TNjed
08-29-2011, 18:49
hey man read Southbound by the Barefoot Sisters, that will let you know whats up.

woodsy
08-29-2011, 19:59
Is it too late (e.g. wet/cold/dangerous) to start hiking in October?

Yup, if you are heading south from Katahdin, Maine
Yup, if you are heading north from Springer, Georgia