PDA

View Full Version : Upcoming Vermont Hike

gumball
08-29-2011, 18:05
A small group of us was planning to hike out on Saturday, beginning at the VT-Mass line and going North. We were planning a 5 day outing. I am reading as much as I can on storm damage and realize much of the trail was closed in the area going north. I am wondering if we are going to be making an eight hour trip to VT only to have to turn around and come home. Any information regarding the trail in VT that you might be aware of--hike-ability-wise--would be greatly appreciated.

I am a little bummed, but we want to be safe as well.

Thanks.

Gum

Lone Wolf
08-29-2011, 18:28
http://www.greenmountainclub.org/

Snowleopard
08-29-2011, 18:57
Right now some of the Vermont roads you need to get to the trail are closed. Rt. 2 in Mass is closed around Shelburne Falls. I91 is partially closed between Northampton and Greenfield, ma. Vermont is really a mess, Brattleboro and Bennington's downtowns got flooded.
Check on road closures Friday, check Lone Wolf's GMC link, and perhaps call GMC Friday.

How about Dolly Sods in WVa?

gumball
08-29-2011, 19:38
Thanks to both of you. I'll keep checking back, but obviously not encouraging.

singing wind
08-29-2011, 19:47
gumball - have you got a Plan B for your hike? Given that this news article - http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/29/storm-irene-vermont-idUSN1E77S0N220110829 - mentions that both Brattleboro and Bennington have been flooded and many communities are dealing with serious distaster response, I sure wouldn't want to set foot in those woods.

I can understand your desire to go hiking, but surely there are places closer to home that may have sustained less damage and be more easily accessible - just in case you do have to turn around.

Those mountains will be there for another time, as will the trail - this just may not be the an appropriate time to go.

Stay safe, ... HYOH and all the best.

Migrating Bird
08-29-2011, 19:53
Weather forecast the remainder of the week is great, highs near 80 degrees, lows 40's to 60. I am south of your planned hiking area we did not get it too bad here, but Vermont got hammered. The NYS thruway, Rt 22 in NY Rt. 7 & Rt 8 in MA were closed this morning but should re-open as water levels go down. NY rt 7 was closed between Troy and the Vermont line, just west of Bennington. I suggest you PM Cosmo. I 91/deerfield river is east and out of your way coming from PA.

burger
08-29-2011, 20:10
Even if you could get to the trailhead, I suspect you will have problems on the trail. The mud along the trail will be epic. And stream crossings may be a problem. I imagine that any number of bridges could have been wiped out by the flooding. I would be cautious about heading out without getting some good information first.

Jack Tarlin
08-29-2011, 20:35
Even if you can get to where you need to go, Vermont, especially in the south, is going to be a sea of mud for awhile. I'd either postpone the trip or hike somewhere else. I see you're writing from Pennsylvania. The mid-Atlantic sections of the Trail got it much easier than southern and central New England. I'd think about finding a nice section closer to home, and wait on Vermont for next time.

gumball
08-29-2011, 20:44
I appreciate all the info and will keep checking back. Nobody wants to get injured and it isn't enjoyable to hike in these conditions. This is our next starting point, working our way north--I was thinking about skipping forward, but I don't imagine NH or Maine is any better.

modiyooch
08-30-2011, 07:28
I don't recommend it. The raging waters alone are not safe. Not to mention that your 5 day hike will end up being much longer if it's an obstacle course or wading thru water. I saw where someone mentioned that now is the time for much needed volunteer work on the trail in many states.

kwijibo1234
08-30-2011, 08:24
Hi there, we left Gifford Woods SP heading south on Thursday night, made it to Mad Tom Notch late Saturday night as the rain was picking up. The next day was INSANE - we hiked out to the road and made it to Manchester Center. We were almost hit by several trees while on the road, cars and propane tanks bobbing down the river, bridges washing away, no water in town - insanity.

I've hiked in a lot of bad weather but the falling trees alone are enough to keep me out of there for a while. We got a hitch from a guy who flew from Florida for a wedding and he couldn't get to Stratton Vt, and had to turn around and head back home again.

It took us 7 hours to get from North Adams to Maine due to road closures.

Slo-go'en
08-30-2011, 08:35
After watching the Vermont Channel 3 TV news last night, going anywhere in Vermont in the near future is going to be a problem. They really got hammered, with epic damage. It's going to take a while to make those roads passable again. Whole towns are cut off and power will be out for a long time. The last thing they need right now is any more tourists.

You can come to NH, we got off pretty lightly.

gumball
08-30-2011, 17:20
We decided not to become part of the hazard and a potential rescue, so we are going to hole up in the ADKs for a few days and do some wandering around in bear country. I would be happy to do trail maintenance, but after reading everything and talking with a few folks, I am under the impression that less people coming in to the state is a blessing for those who live there right now.

We really appreciate everyone's input. Another day.

Snowleopard
08-30-2011, 17:42
gumball, the ADK got hammered too. I know there was flooding around Keene, NY. The ADK are a big area, so there may be places that are OK. You can check at the ADK high peaks forums http://forums.adkhighpeaks.com/ There are threads there on the flood damage. Parts of the Catskills are worse than Vermont; the ADK high peaks forum has threads about that also.

Slo-go'en, are there parts of the Whites that are good now (or soon)? Are there parts that also got hammered?

Del Q
08-30-2011, 20:15
Ouch. I am planning a section hike from Manchester Center to Hanover starting next Thursday. A week is a lot of time. Feel badly for the impacted people up there. We JUST got our power back in Philly, has been out since Sat night. Easy "camping" in the suburbs vs the AT.

Just spoke with Inn at the Long Trail.................fugedaboutit...........no access, no mail drops.

I am thinking that through the mud and blowdowns and whatever other issues, might be an interesting hike post-hurricane damage.

Will stay abreast of the news and call the Green Mountain Club and shuttle driver tomorrrow for an update.

gumball
08-30-2011, 20:25
gumball, the ADK got hammered too. I know there was flooding around Keene, NY. The ADK are a big area, so there may be places that are OK. You can check at the ADK high peaks forums http://forums.adkhighpeaks.com/ There are threads there on the flood damage. Parts of the Catskills are worse than Vermont; the ADK high peaks forum has threads about that also.

Slo-go'en, are there parts of the Whites that are good now (or soon)? Are there parts that also got hammered?

OH NO!!!! Say it isn't true! Well, worst comes to worst, we'll sit in the cabin in front of the fireplace and actually relax. That can't be a bad thing, can it??? Thank you, though, I appreciate the heads up. I'll check out the high peaks forums for sure.

Del Q
08-30-2011, 20:36
Jack - how are things between Killington and Hanover.

Want to have a beer, my treat, Friday the 16th?

Bags4266
08-30-2011, 21:29
Errrr, my son and I were planning on doing the Long Trail Sept 19th. I wonder if 3 weeks the trail would be hikable. I'll have to stay tuned.

Snowleopard
08-30-2011, 22:09
gumball, I came upon this article with more info on where in the Adirondacks you can hike:
http://adirondackexplorer.org/out-takes/2011/08/30/after-irene-where-can-you-hike/
It looks like the Eastern High Peaks region got hammered, but "Forest rangers have yet to reconnoiter all of the backcountry, but it’s believed that the central and western Adirondacks largely escaped the wrath of Irene."

I was also hoping to hike the ADK this fall and maybe we'll be able to after all.

There were also a number of landslides in the Adirondacks caused by the storm.

gumball
08-31-2011, 05:08
Thanks Snowleopard--hopefully we can find somewhere that is decent. We are going to be near Severance, but won't mind getting in the car to scoot a bit west for a trail. The forecast is looking like rain, unfortunately. We'll have to wait and see I guess. Thank you and good luck yourself, whenver you get out there.

Snowleopard
08-31-2011, 09:55
Gumball, have fun. Let us know what you find up there.

Yukon
08-31-2011, 10:13
I'm hiking Rt. 11/30 to Killington starting Friday, should be interesting. The water is receding pretty fast and I have heard the trails are drying up surprisingly quick. I might have to change the hike a little if I can't get out from the sherburne pass, but I think Rt. 100 and 4 from the east should be passable by next monday, we shall see!

Yukon
08-31-2011, 10:18
Here is a great link for up to date road conditions...

http://www.511vt.com/

jersey joe
08-31-2011, 10:23
I'm hiking Rt. 11/30 to Killington starting Friday, should be interesting. The water is receding pretty fast and I have heard the trails are drying up surprisingly quick. I might have to change the hike a little if I can't get out from the sherburne pass, but I think Rt. 100 and 4 from the east should be passable by next monday, we shall see!
I wouldn't be so sure that route 4 will be open between killington and rutland... http://rutlandherald.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83452358f69e20153911a352a970b-pi

Yukon
08-31-2011, 10:25
I wouldn't be so sure that route 4 will be open between killington and rutland... http://rutlandherald.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83452358f69e20153911a352a970b-pi

Yeah, that's why I said Rt. 4 and 100 from the east, coming up the other side of sherburne pass...

jersey joe
08-31-2011, 10:29
My appologies, I'm not super familiar with that area but saw an opportunity to re-post that amazing picture...

Yukon
08-31-2011, 10:34
My appologies, I'm not super familiar with that area but saw an opportunity to re-post that amazing picture...

No worries! And yes, that picture is crazy. I work with Vtrans a lot, actually as I'm writing this I'm working on a reclaim paving job in Stockbridge VT, and we got tons of pictures from them showing different parts of the state. I have a few photos of that same spot as it all transpired...

atraildreamer
08-31-2011, 11:45
What to expect in Vermont for a while...1371113712137131371413715137161371713718

Yukon
08-31-2011, 12:38
Are those recent photos? Which section were they taken in?

Del Q
08-31-2011, 19:11
What are the conditions from Hanover east? Thinking of changing my hike to NH vs VT, any input?

WingedMonkey
08-31-2011, 19:29
No worries! And yes, that picture is crazy. I work with Vtrans a lot, actually as I'm writing this I'm working on a reclaim paving job in Stockbridge VT, and we got tons of pictures from them showing different parts of the state. I have a few photos of that same spot as it all transpired...

I want that job, where I can watch a road get fixed while chat online. Is it government paid for?

:p

atraildreamer
09-08-2011, 14:30
Are those recent photos? Which section were they taken in?

No...I just grabbed them from Google images based on the news stories and posts regarding flooding in various parts of the AT. Just trying to illustrate what may be encountered on an AT swim...I mean...hike! :eek: :banana

Chaco Taco
09-08-2011, 23:02
Lots of rain up here and more in vermont in the past couple of days. word is 2 more damns burst flooding out entire communities

gumball
09-09-2011, 06:27
We are back and did not even try to get on the trails where we were at in the ADKs. I know there were trails open further west, but some near our cabin were closed and the water and roads in areas was clearly not down yet. Keene NY, on the way to Placid, was looking pretty bad.

Bad hiking year, at least for the fall. Part of our hiking group went south to Iron Mt when we bailed on VT and decided to come off after the third day because of the rains coming off the other hurricanes.