PDA

View Full Version : Baltimore Jack's Re-Supply Advice

SGT Rock
12-09-2002, 19:30
Baltimore Jack has given us pemission to publish his advice on AT re-supply along with an update fresh from the trail for the 2003 season. It is a good read for section hikers or thru-hikers getting ready to go in the spring.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/articles/resupplybook.pdf

This is also opening up a new section that was started a while back but died on articles for the WhiteBlaze network. If you can think of something to write, please post it and everyone can decide if it's worth making a permanent fixture here. You can also nominate a really good post if you think it is worth preserving.

Thanks.

Jack Tarlin
01-09-2003, 16:05
The Maildrop/Re-Supply article was unfortunately lost in the transition to the new site but it should be retreieved and re-posted within a few days, i.e. by 10 or 11 January. Anyone needing this info before then can write me at [email protected]

Jack Tarlin
01-11-2003, 17:04
I just got ANOTHER request for this article. Until it appears here on Whiteblaze, you can find it at: http://ubmail.ubalt.edu/~dhaynes/baltimorejackarticle.html

Wander Yonder
01-11-2003, 18:44
Jack, I really appreciated that article.

One day I sat down for a couple of hours and copied all that information (abbreviated) into my Data Book.

MedicineMan
02-03-2003, 05:51
Mr. Baltimore, I too thank you for the valued info...though a section hiker it will pay dividends I'm sure.

MedicineMan
02-03-2003, 05:51
Sharon your're up early! Just saw you were online, too bad we cant chat via Whiteblaze???? how is the hammock coming?

Sparky!
02-03-2003, 10:10
Jack,

I went out and purchased all my maps from GA to PA and started plotting out the resupply plan laid out in you post.

I know that I will have to tailor some of it to my hiking speed and personal preference, with that said... THANKS A MILLION! It was a great help to get the frame work of a resupply plan. Compared to what I had this is way better and a lot smarter. If you wonder if you helped anyone with this... I assure you, you have... My wife just shakes her head when I break out your list and my maps.. lol

I just have a few things that I need a little bit more clarification:

1) Between Waynesboro, VA and Front Royal you mentioned that there are camp stores to resupply at along the way and I did not need to leave with a weeks worth of food. Is there any food that you would recommend that I do leave Waynesboro? I was thinking taking about three days worth and pick up as I need it. What are your thoughts? Too much? Too little?

2) How frequent are the stores in the Park and how accessable are they from the trail? From the picture I formed in my mind is that you can not swing a dead cat without hitting a camp store.

I am waiting for the ALDHA companion to come out to check to make sure some of the places are still open. Right now I am using a 2001 companion and it seems to be right on with what you are talking about.

Thanks

Sparky!
:D

Wander Yonder
02-03-2003, 13:26
Hi, Simva, I just saw your post... a little late, huh? :)

Thanks for the entry on my trailjournals guestbook. That was a fun surprise!!!!

I am getting SO antsy to be outdoors again.... am almost ready to hang the hammock on the back of our 5 acres and pretend I'm on the trail! :D

Sorry for the thread drift, folks!

Jack Tarlin
02-03-2003, 15:57
Sparky---

Your 2003 Companion, which should be available in just over 2 weeks, will tell you all about Shenandoah Park. There are quite a few little camp stores, all very close to the A.T. They are excellent for short-term resupply---snacks, candies, etc. They have a limited number of "real" food items as well----liptons, peanut butter, etc. I think leaving with 2 or 3 days of stuff will be fine; you'll be able to supplement your foodbag with stops at the camp stores, including "treat" items such as hot dogs, ice cream, soda pop, beer, etc.

As for after the Park, there MAY be a new hostel in Front Royal this year; otherwise you can resupply in Linden, where the P.O. and general store are less than a 20 minute walk from Jim and Molly Denton shelter.

One last thought on the Shenandoah stores---I wouldn't rely ENTIRELY on them for your food after Waynesboro, as you may arrive to find them cleaned out of what you want, especially if there's big crowd of hikers just ahead of you; remember, everyone is basically looking to get the same stuff, so if you're a Snickers or Kool Aid addict, etc., I'd make sure to leave Waynesboro with at least SOME of your favorite things, just in case Park resupply is incomplete or insufficient.

Sparky!
02-03-2003, 19:51
Thanks Jack! As usual you gave me the information I needed. GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

Sparky!

Skeemer
02-03-2003, 20:37
I too appreciated Baltimore Jack's Resupply Suggestions. In fact, it is open on my desk and it is being referenced constantly as I plan my hike. I know I will not stay on a fixed schedule due to any number of factors, but just plannning some "sure stops" gives one some sense of security. I've said it before, this guy is a class act. Just think what an advantage we have over the pre-computer hikers. Perhaps that is why the percenatage of actual thru-hike completions are rising each year. Hikers are going in better prepared thanks to guys like BJ and this website.

chill out
02-04-2003, 11:10
Jack's article is great stuff..anyone planning a hike, its a must see. Or you can do it on your own which is fun also.

Jack Tarlin
02-06-2003, 14:17
Many thanx for the kind words; I'm really glad that folks seem to have found this material useful; it's always good to hear back from folks re. their planning and prep. and it's even better to know you've helped some folks out.

That being said, I just want to re-iterate that my extended post re. maildrops/and re-supply was meant merely to offer suggestions and ideas; it's not a blueprint or manual---there's a zillion ways to resupply on the Trail, and I left a great many places out; I was merely passing along some ideas and places that have worked for me.

I also want to stress that whether you use suggestions such as mine, or the Companion, Handbook, or any other source, be aware that the Trail changes each and every year, and so do stores, facilities, trailside businesses, etc. Places that have been around for years close their doors or re-locate; new places spring up. Hours of operation change, prices change, etc. Never take absolutely for granted that a place is gonna be there just because it's listed in a Trail guide or planning book. This is especially true of little general stores and markets; on more than one occasion I've arrived at a place only to discover that it closed weeks before, or only to discover a "Gone Fishin'!!" sign on the front door. It's always wise to carry a bit of extra food, just in case an expected resupply place is not in business or not open when you get there; also, especially in the early days of your trip, it may take longer to negotiate certain stretches of the Trail than you'd planned; until you have a better handle on your likely pace, schedule, and daily mileage, it sure can't hurt to bring some extra food along.

Speaking of the 2003 Handbook and Companion, I'll be sending along a list of corrections, omissions, etc. as soon as I get my copies, and I urge other folks to do the same. If you note something that other folks should be aware of, or if you think you've read something that's incorrect, by all means pass it along here. Also, a suggestion to the site administrator: How about a section here on the Forums called "Trail News and Updates" where folks can send in important things they discover along the way as far as changes regarding businesses, facilities, trail relocations, etc. This way, folks hiking in 2003 can periodically check in with Whiteblaze and find out about changes and News BEFORE they get to the place where the Trail has changed. Seems to me this could be very useful for folks travelling behind and may help them with their plans for resupply, town stops, lodging, etc.

SGT Rock
02-06-2003, 14:40
done