PDA

View Full Version : where do i start?

ekeverette
08-29-2011, 19:05
i hear so much about you have to hike a days hike before you get to the real at.. the place where the plaque is on the rock. i will hopefully be staying my 1st night at the hikers hostel.... will those folks take me to the starting point..... hear so much about the steps, and the 5 mile hike before the real thing.... not lazy, just don't know the real thing... thanks

Lemni Skate
08-29-2011, 19:31
If you start at Springer Mountain the most "traditional" way to get there is the approach trail from Amicalola Falls State Park in George. It's 8 or 9 miles and a tough hike for many beginners. There are forest roads that can start you closer to the summit, including one that is only 0.9 miles from the top, but you'll have to retrace your steps once you get to the top.

ekeverette
08-29-2011, 19:55
thanks lemni... sounds almost like a day hike before the grand hike.

Pedaling Fool
08-29-2011, 19:57
i hear so much about you have to hike a days hike before you get to the real at.. the place where the plaque is on the rock. i will hopefully be staying my 1st night at the hikers hostel.... will those folks take me to the starting point..... hear so much about the steps, and the 5 mile hike before the real thing.... not lazy, just don't know the real thing... thanks
Just call the hostel http://www.hikerhostel.com/ and ask them about shuttling specifics. As for the basic premise of what you've been told, that would be false.

Pedaling Fool
08-29-2011, 19:58
thanks lemni... sounds almost like a day hike before the grand hike.
BTW, there's no difference between hiking on the approach trail (if you hike it, which I have) and hiking the AT; it's all the same.

atmilkman
08-29-2011, 20:09
Hiker Hostel will shuttle you to either Amicalola Falls State Park which as stated above you can do the traditional Approach Trail or to the Springer Mountain parking lot on FS42 which also as stated above is about 0.9 miles back south and then retrace back north. A few years back it was 40 and 45 dollars. It might be a little more now.

ekeverette
08-29-2011, 20:32
thanks guys.... i,m getting damn excited!!!

max patch
08-29-2011, 20:32
The approach trail used to be the "real" AT; the shelter at Black Gap used to be the "real" shelter at Springer (it was moved there 20 approx years ago; the Hiker Hostel will take you to either place; you don't have to walk up the stairs unless you want to; if you can't hike the approach trail then you can't hike the AT in GA.

ekeverette
08-29-2011, 21:09
wow.. didn't know they had rules.... i will watch out for the trail patrol!

Old Hiker
08-29-2011, 21:12
The approach trail used to be the "real" AT; the shelter at Black Gap used to be the "real" shelter at Springer (it was moved there 20 approx years ago; the Hiker Hostel will take you to either place; you don't have to walk up the stairs unless you want to; if you can't hike the approach trail then you can't hike the AT in GA.

Going out on a limb here - I believe Max Patch meant that if you are not in shape enough for the approach, you probably won't be able to hike the AT. No trail police, I hope!

ironman y2k
08-29-2011, 21:15
If you've done any mountain hiking with a pack you can do the Approach Trail. It's not tough but for your first hike with full pack it can get to you. You can avoid the stairs by not turning left just after passing under the stone arch at the visitor center. Just go straight and you'll climb the old section of the approach trail to the top of the falls (1 mile). I find the 1st mile (either stairs or old section) is the toughest of the Approach Trail then it just becomes an enjoyable hike to the summit of Springer. If you stay at the Hiker Hostel the shuttle to either FS42 or Amicalola Falls is included. If you go to FS42 your first day on the trail will be easier and help get you mentally prepared for what lies ahead. However, if you hike the Approach Trail and it doesn't discourage you, you will be able to handle any climb in Georgia. Whatever you choose just take your time and enjoy the experience. No reason to rush since either section is approximately 8 miles and even at 1 mph you have all day to complete it and still have plenty of time left over for meeting other hikers at the end of the day.

FritztheCat
08-29-2011, 21:30
The Hiker Hostel shuttled me to the top of Springer Mountain. I totally skipped the approach trail and have no regrets. Some of my buddies did the approach and the photos they took of the falls were very nice. It really depends on what you want to do - it's your hike. I personally didn't want to spend the first day climbing (although you pretty much climb your way through Georgia anyway).

ekeverette
08-29-2011, 21:32
my bad... didn't mean to be a smartass.... hope i'm i good shape... think i am, run alot... anyway sorry i took that wrong, thanks for correcting me.

BitBucket
08-29-2011, 22:00
Hike the approach trail....start at the ranger station early in the morning and hike to the top, stop and fuel up at the breakfast buffet at Amicalola Falls Lodge, then plow on to Springer....you'll be there by mid afternoonRemember that a journey of a 1000 miles begins with a single step....enjoy your walk in the woods

DapperD
08-29-2011, 22:25
i hear so much about you have to hike a days hike before you get to the real at.. the place where the plaque is on the rock. i will hopefully be staying my 1st night at the hikers hostel.... will those folks take me to the starting point..... hear so much about the steps, and the 5 mile hike before the real thing.... not lazy, just don't know the real thing... thanksI learned that you can bypass the climb up the falls at Amicalola by getting a ride once there to the upper parking lot where you can pick up the approach trail and then hike on to Springer Mountain from there.

Trailweaver
08-29-2011, 23:30
The approach trail is just that - an approach trail. Springer is "approachable" by a forest service road, and you can drive there, hike to the top of Springer (where the plaque is), snap your photo, and start your hike. Unless you reallllly like stairs with heavy packs, you can forgo that and be on your way to Maine.