PDA

View Full Version : Down Pants

Scratch
08-29-2011, 19:41
I'm trying to decide if down pants are worth the expense. I'll be starting in early March and I do tend to get pretty cold. Are leggings and a pair of rain pants enough or do you think it necessary to have a third layer for the legs?

I'm sure it would be more comfy with them, but is it worth the money?

Ironbelly
08-29-2011, 20:13
I love mine. When i was searching for a pair I found that the vast majority of the ones out there were way too expensive for my liking. I ended up getting the 'down drawers' or 'down long johns' from cabelas i think they were called. They are like $60 and are quite warm. So for a budget alternative i recommend checking out cabelas.

Wombat Farm
08-29-2011, 20:18
I would be shocked if you hike in anything down but for night when you're at camp...yes! I bring fleece pants and that's ususally enough but down is lighter in weight and probably warmer. Have fun!

sbhikes
08-29-2011, 21:00
They are pretty luxurious, but when you bend your knees you do get cold spots, so I've found them not to be as wonderfully warm as I'd hoped.

Wise Old Owl
08-29-2011, 21:04
too hot, remember when you really get moving - the energy produced by your muscles will heat up your skin.. Hense why UL folk get up at 5 am & break camp...to get moving...

Toolshed
08-29-2011, 21:21
Unless you are expecting sub-zero weather and long winter nights where you are in your tent by 6PM awaiting daylight in 17 hours, I think they are a waste of money. You cannot hike in them and it is also difficult to do camp chores in them for fear of ripping the shell on something. If you are looking for cold weather clothing that will do double duty around camp and on the trail, I would opt for a plain old basic 200 weight fleece pant (I normally hike in running tights if it is above zero and fleece-napped running tights (TNF Aurora) in below zero weather with a simple nylon windpant (it has to be extremely breathable) and then pull on a 100 or 200 weight pant over them once I am in camp, in extremely cold weather. Unless I am absolutely soaking wet, which I try not to be, as it is deadly, I can them let my body heat dry my slightly damp running tights/first layer.

Tipi Walter
08-29-2011, 21:26
I'm trying to decide if down pants are worth the expense. I'll be starting in early March and I do tend to get pretty cold. Are leggings and a pair of rain pants enough or do you think it necessary to have a third layer for the legs?

I'm sure it would be more comfy with them, but is it worth the money?

I went 30 years without down pants (or booties) and figured, who needs them? And like Wise Old Owl says, you'll never wear them when you're actually hiking. With the proper thermal bottoms (I prefer Icebreaker merinos), which can be augmented under rain pants when it's really cold and windy, you should be A-OK when moving. In camp, well, you can keep your legs warm by staying on the sleeping pad and half-covering with your sleeping bag.

BUT . . . . . . Last year I went ahead and upgraded my winter kit and added down pants, down booties, and an overkill down parka as seen in the below fotog. For backpackers who are planning on staying out thru January and February and March, and wanting to get caught in nasty blizzards with deep snow, I HIGHLY recommend getting these three items for long-term comfort in camp. Sure, ULers might be getting up at 5am when it's 0F, but how long will they feel like hiking? Twelve hours? Then it's 5pm and it's starting to get dark and you're cold and exhausted and will spending many more hours in camp so why not slap on booties and the parka and the pants? They sure can make a difference.

http://www.trailspace.com/assets/7/b/2/47026/TRIP-118-183.jpg

ChinMusic
08-29-2011, 21:29
I agree with Toolshed that you should NOT be hiking in them. I disagree with regards to camp. I bring only one pair of pants in winter and one pair of down pants (along with rain pants). My legs are warm enough even if wet from sweat or rain as long as I'm moving. If my pants are wet when I get to camp I can take them off and put on my dry down pants. I have not found doing camp chores in down pants to be a problem. These down pants can help extend the comfort range of your sleeping bag as well.

I am a big fan of down pants until things warm up.

ChinMusic
08-29-2011, 21:33
Last year I went ahead and upgraded my winter kit and added down pants, down booties, and an overkill down parka

I carry all those as well for cold temps. LOVE THEM

I consider them dual use by factoring them into the rating of bag I need.

Tipi Walter
08-29-2011, 21:36
Unless you are expecting sub-zero weather and long winter nights where you are in your tent by 6PM awaiting daylight in 17 hours, I think they are a waste of money.

Question: Aren't all winter nights "long winter nights where you are in your tent by 6pm awaiting daylight in 17 hours"? Maybe not 17 hours, maybe more like 14 hours, but however it shakes out it's still a long time in camp. And remember, people who get up at 5am in the winter and start hiking are essentially night-hiking.

Tipi Walter
08-29-2011, 21:41
I carry all those as well for cold temps. LOVE THEM

I consider them dual use by factoring them into the rating of bag I need.

Yeah, your post inspires me to think about how different it is to be sitting at a computer typing versus sitting in a tent in 0F at four in the morning and getting half-way out of my bag and throwing on the down parka while sitting up in a heavily frosted tent and lighting a little candle to start thawing out my fingers so I can write in my journal. Zero degrees is a world unto itself, made easier by the down of geese.

ChinMusic
08-29-2011, 21:53
Yeah, your post inspires me to think about how different it is to be sitting at a computer typing versus sitting in a tent in 0F at four in the morning and getting half-way out of my bag and throwing on the down parka while sitting up in a heavily frosted tent and lighting a little candle to start thawing out my fingers so I can write in my journal. Zero degrees is a world unto itself, made easier by the down of geese.

The OP is interested in early March conditions in GA. IMO those down items work in that environment too. You don't have to be sub zero to appreciate down clothing.

Accorn
08-29-2011, 22:36
As mentioned; down pants will be too hot to hike in. Try a 200 weight fleece for hiking/sleeping in or get a 0 degree sleeping bag. As a cold sleeper myself the best item I have added for end of day and sleeping is a down vest. The vest and a hat will help a ton. Ray Jardine also made a quilt-like sleeping hat which I have yet to try out but perhaps others can comment on how well it helps.

bigmac_in
08-29-2011, 23:10
As mentioned; down pants will be too hot to hike in. Try a 200 weight fleece for hiking/sleeping in or get a 0 degree sleeping bag. As a cold sleeper myself the best item I have added for end of day and sleeping is a down vest. The vest and a hat will help a ton. Ray Jardine also made a quilt-like sleeping hat which I have yet to try out but perhaps others can comment on how well it helps. I'm not a big fan of down pants, but I AM a fan of pants down.

sbhikes
08-30-2011, 22:40
Question: Aren't all winter nights "long winter nights where you are in your tent by 6pm awaiting daylight in 17 hours"? Maybe not 17 hours, maybe more like 14 hours, but however it shakes out it's still a long time in camp. And remember, people who get up at 5am in the winter and start hiking are essentially night-hiking.

I love to sleep. I don't mind those long winter nights in the least.

I brought my down pants on a section hike in the spring. I got a little unexpected snow. They were wonderful to sleep in. Very helpful to extend the range of comfort in my sleeping bag. I don't hike in my down jacket, either, but I sleep in it and would freeze in my bag without it. The down pants just make it that much more toasty and comfortable without adding an enormous amount of weight. I wouldn't say they are crucial equipment, but even lightweight hikers like me like a few comforts every now and then. Sometimes a mug and hot coffee. Sometimes down pants.

Tipi Walter
08-30-2011, 22:59
I love to sleep. I don't mind those long winter nights in the least.

I brought my down pants on a section hike in the spring. I got a little unexpected snow. They were wonderful to sleep in. Very helpful to extend the range of comfort in my sleeping bag. I don't hike in my down jacket, either, but I sleep in it and would freeze in my bag without it. The down pants just make it that much more toasty and comfortable without adding an enormous amount of weight. I wouldn't say they are crucial equipment, but even lightweight hikers like me like a few comforts every now and then. Sometimes a mug and hot coffee. Sometimes down pants.

I don't know what conditions are like where you live, but as September rolls around here in the Southeast I'm sorting thru my winter gear and knowing I won't need it until October but for some reason I want to carry it now. I've got at least one more trip with the usual "summer kit", augmented with a few warmer items, but strangely can't wait to add the extra weight of my down pants and booties and parka. It's weird. And my down pants? They are very light and very liked.

Mags
08-30-2011, 23:07
Get some army liner pants. (http://www.google.com/search?q=liner+pants&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a#sclient=psy&hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=jRH&rls=org.mozilla:en-US%3Aofficial&tbm=shop&source=hp&q=m-65+liner+pants&pbx=1&oq=m-65+liner+pants&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=9767l11653l2l12083l6l6l0l0l0l2l1403l2492l7-2l2l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.&fp=64d1c6e4308fc1d7&biw=1280&bih=607) A synthetic version of the down pants and good for the in-between temps you might find on an early AT hike. They are inexpensive, compressible and light. And very cheap. If you can sew, you can modify them easily to take a draw cord and/or elastic band on the legs and waist. At under $20 (counting the extra material for sewing) you don't lose much in terms of money.

As others said, though, you may find you aren't as cold as you think you'll get when moving and your bag is more than enough at night. :)

Tipi Walter
08-30-2011, 23:20
Get some army liner pants. (http://www.google.com/search?q=liner+pants&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a#sclient=psy&hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=jRH&rls=org.mozilla:en-US%3Aofficial&tbm=shop&source=hp&q=m-65+liner+pants&pbx=1&oq=m-65+liner+pants&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=9767l11653l2l12083l6l6l0l0l0l2l1403l2492l7-2l2l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.&fp=64d1c6e4308fc1d7&biw=1280&bih=607) A synthetic version of the down pants and good for the in-between temps you might find on an early AT hike. They are inexpensive, compressible and light. And very cheap. If you can sew, you can modify them easily to take a draw cord and/or elastic band on the legs and waist. At under $20 (counting the extra material for sewing) you don't lose much in terms of money.

As others said, though, you may find you aren't as cold as you think you'll get when moving and your bag is more than enough at night. :)

These are very good little items although they all seem to be made very short. I went thru several pair back in the 1980's and even got my GF Little Mitten to wear a pair on a winter trip in 2002. See below. Of course, the top quilted liners may even be better and they are not short. And as everyone knows, they were made to be buttoned into Army pants or field jackets.

http://www.trailgallery.com/photos/4854/tj4854_101806_134728_189799.jpg

Mags
08-30-2011, 23:31
Yep...they do run short (to accommodate high boots). But, they do make 'long' versions that go to the ankle (I have a pair)...and Adrianna wears the 'normal' length version fine. But she is only 5'2" or so. :)