PDA

View Full Version : Rockies Ruck - Bad news :(

Mags
02-18-2005, 13:01
Received a phone call from YMCA today. Apparently, the way we are doing things (the Each Pay their Own Option) with everyone being lumped together is a bit different for them and is not something they normally do. The person who booked it is new the org. and they normally would not let me do it for such a small group this early in the year. First year snanfus I guess!

Anyway, I have three options

A) Who is going? If I can give a definite number, it will make things easier. Also, did not realize it, but, (again, a new person gave me some info that was a bit off), I am financially responsible if I do not fill the rooms up. :O If I have a definite number to give, I'd feel much better to say the least. I can alter it before Feb 25th

B) Do it somewhere else in the region. The contract is not signed yet for the above reasons. There is hostel in Leadville that may be better for this type of setup (and my wallet!). If there is still enough interest, will do it there. I'll call.

C) Take this as a good lesson and start planning for next year. IT was a last minute plan amongst a few of us; I suspect due to the nature of the lose group something like the YMCA in Estes is a bit taken back by teh lack of central orginization. Thought it would work because other groups do something similar.

I'll let teh people interested tell me what to do. I sincerely apologize for the snafu; my idea for a simple get together was not so simple afterall! :( E-mail me at:
pmags AT yahoo DOT com for any feedback.

Tha Wookie
02-18-2005, 13:24
Maybe the Colorado Trail Foundation could lead you to a facility that they use. Call them. I bet they would be willing to work something with you. They certainly hold a lot of hiker functions in that area. Shoot, they might even let you use some giant tents.

Mags
02-18-2005, 13:28
Not a bad idea..not a bad idea at all. Thanks!

I'll put that under "OPTION B". We'll see how people feel.

If I have to go wtth OPTION C, it will be a good idea for next year, too.

I love this community!

TankHiker
02-18-2005, 13:45
Hey Mags-

Sorry to hear the bad news. It sounds like you would have had a good time. (I would have loved to join, except that I am leaving for Springer Mountain that weekend)

If it comes down to Plan C, perhaps we could do something informal. Even if we just all met at the Wilderness Pub, or something. It would be fun to meet other long-distance hikers in this area. It might even be a good way to do some networking and get some momentum going for local ALDHA chapter.

Just a thought. :-?

-TANK

Footslogger
02-18-2005, 13:58
Mags,

I'm pretty sure you can count on the wife (BadAss Turtle - AT 2001) and me to be there as long as it's within reasonable driving distance. Only hitch is that we will be out of the country the week before. We'll do our best to make it happen. Just keep me posted on the location and any changes in the dates.

'Slogger