PDA

View Full Version : Which alcohol stove

thepokerkid227
08-29-2011, 21:46
In the process of going lighter and I am stuck between buying an end2end thru hiker open jet alcohol stove or making a pressurized jet alcohol stove since I do not know of any site that sells them pre made.

Raul Perez
08-29-2011, 21:55
www.minibulldesigns.com real good stoves

thepokerkid227
08-29-2011, 22:06
Not sure which fuel root to take :confused: seems the best choice methanol is also the most hazardous will it really be that bad to take on a thru-hike?

Elder
08-30-2011, 00:16
Check out www.etowahoutfitters.net (http://www.etowahoutfitters.net) Great stove.

thomas533
08-30-2011, 00:46
Have you tried making a SuperCat stove (http://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/SuperCat/index.html)? They are ridiculously simple and will cost you less than a dollar if you already own a paper hole punch. I've build over a dozen alcohol stoves and the SuperCat is the best I've found.

flatfeet
08-30-2011, 01:54
Don't make your own. It sounds easy right? Just cut and glue together an old pop can. It won't work though. I've met several people who brought their homemade stove and found it to be really unreliable. Any of the stoves mentioned above are great and will work well for you.
I personally use the whitebox stove. Really a great stove.
Also use HEET in the yellow can. Works better than denatured alcohol. Really great stuff.

Hooch
08-30-2011, 05:15
I'm a big fan of the Fancee Feast stove from Zelph's stoveworks.

Rocket Jones
08-30-2011, 06:35
+1 on the Supercat. In fact, they're so simple and useful that we keep one our home emergency kit, as do my grown kids.

Doc Mike
08-30-2011, 11:51
supercat
i made another last night for my trip starting thursday

EastCoastFeastCoast
08-30-2011, 12:55
+2,000 on the Fancee Feast or Supercat style stove. You can find full kits available here from Zelph (http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/fancee-feest.php) . You can also find good accessories and stuff from Minibull designs (https://www.minibulldesign.com/ProductCart/pc/home.asp) . And if you need a premade keg can, go here to traildesigns (http://www.traildesigns.com/stoves/keg-cans) . They have Heineken kegs and fosters pots.

I have a Fancee Feast stove from Zelph, a H Keg from traildesigns, and my carbon fiber wick (to wrap the H Keg) and secure lid with maple knob are from minibill.

Happy Hangin'
Ben

beaudetious
08-30-2011, 12:56
I'm a big 'cat fan too. Mostly for the simplicity in making them and the light weight. My big concern is fuel efficiency. From practical experience (in the woods and at home) it seems they require at least 1 ounce to achieve (or nearly achieve) a rolling boil.

What about double wall stoves. Are they more efficient?

EastCoastFeastCoast
08-30-2011, 13:15
My fancee feast can boil 2 cups of water on 3/4 ounce of fuel. Rarely do I need that much water at once time, either. In fact I've never put that much fuel in my stove. Are you using a wind screen?

Raul Perez
08-30-2011, 13:30
My minibull bongo boils 2 cups of water with less than 1/2 ounce in late spring-summer, and about 1/2 ounce in the late fall. Takes about 3/4 ounce in the winter time. If' I'm trying to convert snow to water takes about an ounce (maybe a little more) per 2 cups.

Doc Mike
08-30-2011, 13:31
1/2 to 1 ounce alchy with about any alchy stove depending on temperature. Yes some are more efficent and some better for larger volumes but overall performance is very similar.

beaudetious
08-30-2011, 15:54
Are you using a wind screen?

Yep. My design is a straight up cat food can (3 oz. I think) with holes near the top. Works great other than the amount of fuel I burn.

I have recently been using a double walled stove by Antigravity or whatever that comes bundled with a plastic container, a windscreen that fits my Ti pot and a cozy to fit the container. I'll try to find a link somewhere.

http://www.antigravitygear.com/trail-designs-caldera-cone-system.html

I think I'll give the Fancy Feast stove a shot too. Sounds pretty darn efficient.

Farr Away
08-31-2011, 12:11
I use a windscreen called the Fire Bucket with my supercat. It gets the stove up off the ground, and seems to have improved the stove's efficiency. http://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/Fire-Bucket/index.html

The Fire Bucket can also be used with esbit or as a wood stove.

4eyedbuzzard
08-31-2011, 12:19
Zelph's Starlyte is pretty good as well, spillproof as well, and probably the lightest. Lots of options.

B-Rabbit
08-31-2011, 12:33
On the homemade topic... Do you guys find that the cat design is better and more efficient than the "beer can stove?'' If so why? Both versions run on denatured alcohol... right? Is that something that will be easy to find on the trail?

EastCoastFeastCoast
08-31-2011, 17:13
It also matter which type of pot you are using. The burn pattern also matters... don't ask me how.

Rocket Jones
08-31-2011, 17:50
Alcohol is easy to find, plus you can use Heet (in the yellow bottle, not the red), which is available at most every gas station, hardware or general store.

What made the supercat better for me is the utter simplicity of constructing it. Plus, if I need to make another, I can improvise one that works reasonably well with an empty can and a small knife.

halftime
08-31-2011, 17:54
Zelph's Starlyte is pretty good as well, spillproof as well, and probably the lightest. Lots of options.

Ditto..I have a Starlyte and happy with it.

EJC
08-31-2011, 20:16
On the homemade topic... Do you guys find that the cat design is better and more efficient than the "beer can stove?'' If so why? Both versions run on denatured alcohol... right? Is that something that will be easy to find on the trail?

YES, I tried making about 15 beer can stoves with no success for whatever reason. The cat food can design takes under 5 minutes to make and the first one worked, plus you don't need a pot stand or need to worry about measuring, cutting, etc.

lemon b
08-31-2011, 20:37
Never too much thought about them because of the fuel problem. Plus even at 56 pushing 57 the weight difference is irrelevent. If I can not hump 37 pounds I'll just day hike.

pcasebere
09-21-2011, 18:44
It also matter which type of pot you are using. The burn pattern also matters... don't ask me how.

The Super Cat Stove is very simple, however since it uses the cook pot to become pressurized to burn as a side-burner stove, a larger diameter cook pot seems to work better than a narrower one.

Don Newcomb
09-27-2011, 09:56
Not sure which fuel root to take :confused: seems the best choice methanol is also the most hazardous will it really be that bad to take on a thru-hike?I understand that most fuel alcohol is ethanol with enough methanol to make it toxic to drink. 90% isopropyl can be used in a pinch but creates a black soot.

Don Newcomb
09-27-2011, 10:00
In the process of going lighter and I am stuck between buying an end2end thru hiker open jet alcohol stove or making a pressurized jet alcohol stove since I do not know of any site that sells them pre made. You understand that alcohol stoves are only lighter in the short run? As you stay out longer the increased weight of fuel literally outweighs the advantage of the lighter stove. Here is a site (http://zenstoves.net/) I like for information about alcohol stoves.

scope
09-27-2011, 10:12
You understand that alcohol stoves are only lighter in the short run? As you stay out longer the increased weight of fuel literally outweighs the advantage of the lighter stove. Here is a site (http://zenstoves.net/) I like for information about alcohol stoves.

I'm not sure that's entirely true, at least for the AT where one can resupply more frequently.

Chaco Taco
09-27-2011, 10:25
You understand that alcohol stoves are only lighter in the short run? As you stay out longer the increased weight of fuel literally outweighs the advantage of the lighter stove. Here is a site (http://zenstoves.net/) I like for information about alcohol stoves.
Increased weight of fuel? I carried a pocket rocket for a long time then switched to my alcohol stove and its so much less and takes up less space in my pack as well. I never carry more than 8 oz of alcohol and always still have some left over. Most places along the AT have gallons of alcohol to resupply

Don Newcomb
09-27-2011, 13:37
OK. This is not a religious war. There's a reason no one ever uses an alcohol stove for melting snow, at least not twice. The simple fact is that alcohol has about 9,000-13,000 BTU/lb; petroleum fuels have a bit over 18,000 BTU/lb. To produce the same amount of heat energy you have to bring about 25% more fuel by weight with an alcohol stove. On short trips this is offset by the fact that alcohol stoves are simple, cheap and light. If you look at that Zen Stoves site it is explained in detail. Somewhere I think they have a chart that shows the calculations of when the break-even point occurs. This site is written by a huge proponent of alcohol stoves.

And I agree that on AT trips with frequent supply drops I'd probably use an alcohol stove unless I was part of a group of, say, 3 or more. In which case the I'd be doing the math to see if another option would be better.

My brother came up with a neat solution. He has a forced-air wood-burning stove (Markill Wilderness) and a small alcohol burner. We can use the wood-burner for most cooking but when we have to cook in the tent, due to rain or high wind, we can use the alcohol burner inside the wood stove. (Wood stoves have their own set of advantages and disadvantages which I'm well aware of.) This combo is only used for groups or when fuel weight is a main consideration.

BobTheBuilder
09-27-2011, 13:53
In the process of going lighter ....
I know that is the popular opinion, but I don't understand why. I used to carry an alcohol stove, but in the end I had to admit that the math just didn't work for me. Sure the stove is lighter, but the fuel weight is a killer. My 3.5 ounces of Jetboil fuel will boil 24 pints of water, while that would take about 24 ounces of alcohol. My Jetboil rig weighs about 12 ounces, but my aluminum pot, pot lid, windscreen, stove, and pot grabber combined weigh about 6 ounces. With 6 more ounces of stove equipment, I save 20 ounces of fuel. If I am out more than one or two days, I can't escape the fact that my Jetboil setup is less total weight.

Odd Man Out
09-27-2011, 14:13
I understand that most fuel alcohol is ethanol with enough methanol to make it toxic to drink. 90% isopropyl can be used in a pinch but creates a black soot.

A while back I saw a list of specs for various brands of "denatured alcohol". I was surprised to see that they all had different concentrations of ethanol and a variety of different combinations of other chemicals used to make it non-potable. Methanol is not the most hazardous. They are all toxic if you drink them (unless you buy Everclear). In fact you body has ways to detoxify trace amounts of methanol (not so sure about the other denaturants). As long as you don't drink it, don't snort it, and don't burn it in a closed environment, I wouldn't worry about it, other than the fact that isopropanol burns dirtier.

Don Newcomb
09-27-2011, 14:31
(unless you buy Everclear). Of course Everclear is the best choice. You can cook with it or mix it with some Crystal Lite and drink it. Naah. I'd probably be eating my food cold and staggering my way down the trail.

smokeeater908
10-12-2011, 22:38
Flashover Stove made by myself, machined out of aluminum stock, has a simmer ring and a lid to keep fuel in the wick if you don't use it all on a boil. With the simmer ring I brought water to a boil in a grease pot to cook a muffin and 1/2oz of alcohol brought water to a boil then added simmer ring and cooked a muffin. Fuel ran for 22 minutes. Check out the stove a outdoortrailgear.com or I have a video of it on my youtube channel located at http://www.youtube.com/user/smokeeater908?feature=mhee
T (http://www.youtube.com/user/smokeeater908?feature=mhee)hanks guys

Robbie
smokeeater908

Wil
10-12-2011, 23:44
Flashover Stove made by myself, machined out of aluminum stock, has a simmer ring and a lid to keep fuel in the wick if you don't use it all on a boil. With the simmer ring I brought water to a boil in a grease pot to cook a muffin and 1/2oz of alcohol brought water to a boil then added simmer ring and cooked a muffin. Fuel ran for 22 minutes.Does it come with the windscreen you used to do that?

Wise Old Owl
10-13-2011, 00:15
I have had better results with Zelph's Starlyte because it offers heat concentrated in the middle and it appears to use less fuel. The other designs pressurize and push the heat up the sides,thus use more fuel and unless its a wide pot, less efficient.

smokeeater908
10-13-2011, 00:29
Does it come with the windscreen you used to do that?I do have a windscreen I've made and it fits nicely in a fosters pot, little heavier aluminum than foil.about as thick as aluminum baking sheet.

tiptoe
10-13-2011, 12:37
I've been happy with my trangia burner and homemade windscreen/potstand. It's not the lightest possible option, but it's solid and reliable.

Spokes
10-13-2011, 13:11
I'm a big fan of the Fancee Feast stove from Zelph's stoveworks.

Me too. Building your own is really simple. Get the stainless steel insert from the plumbing department of your local home improvement store (drainage hub conector). Carefully remove the outer strap bands and rubber hub insert. Then all you need is an empty cat food can and some fiberglass repair cloth.

Super easy to build.

swjohnsey
10-18-2011, 18:29
The Supervenom by Zelph is a great stove, very efficient, requires no pot stand and is a conversation starter. It is also very durable.

deadhorsejoe
10-18-2011, 18:50
The Supervenom by Zelph is a great stove, very efficient, requires no pot stand and is a conversation starter. It is also very durable.

A second on Zelphs supervenom. Great stove. Efficient, sturdy, built in pot stand. Works well with heiny or fosters pot (try zelphs new ribbed fosters pot. Improves the durability of the can) Only con is the supervenom is a little heavy compared to other alcohol stoves. Supervenom is my go to alcohol stove when I am not using Esbit.

zelph
10-18-2011, 20:48
A second on Zelphs supervenom. Great stove. Efficient, sturdy, built in pot stand. Works well with heiny or fosters pot (try zelphs new ribbed fosters pot. Improves the durability of the can) Only con is the supervenom is a little heavy compared to other alcohol stoves. Supervenom is my go to alcohol stove when I am not using Esbit.

The new Ridgeline Fosters pot (http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/foster-ridgline-pot.php) is the result of my latest experiments. I've got a small 6 gram stove in the works also.

The Fancee Feest is the perfect DIY stove for those that want to get hooked on stove making. :)

The StarLyte is one of my favorites. Has the no spill feature like the Venom Super Stove.

Do check out the Fosters Pot with ridges. (http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/foster-ridgline-pot.php) It is truly a light weight pot for the gram counters.

cabbagehead
11-01-2011, 15:40
I just started to make pot pressurized, stand free stoves. Check out bottlestoves.com

cabbagehead
11-01-2011, 15:43
Also, the stove you use should depend on how you cook. If you are trying to boil water fast, and put it in a Mountain House bag, you should probably make a supercat stove. If you need to slowly cook a meal, like cabbage, or pasta, a small jet pressurized stove is best.

kreate
11-19-2011, 10:46
In all of my tinkering with alcohol stoves I have come to realize that the pot is more important than the stove. using the proper pot for the stove is very important. at the end of the day whether using a pressurized, semi, super cat, whatever. they all deliver the same amount of energy per ounce of alcohol, its just a matter of having the best pot setup to capture that energy. personally I use a tealight stove (tea candle tin with a hardware cloth stand) along with a MSR titan and of course a wind screen. if you want to get really spiffy you could use a reflector under neath of your stove.

Tinker
11-19-2011, 15:07
In the process of going lighter and I am stuck between buying an end2end thru hiker open jet alcohol stove or making a pressurized jet alcohol stove since I do not know of any site that sells them pre made.

There is absolutely no advantage to pressurizing fuel in an alcohol stove. I built a bunch when I first tried alcohol, about 8 years ago, and my Supercat (Jim Woods design) was more fuel efficient, boiled more quickly, didn't require priming or a pot stand, and was far easier to make and lighter to boot. I recently "invented" a simmer ring, so now I can simmer, too.
We had an incident on our last hike where a friend temporarily lost the penny for his penny stove and was lucky that he found it because no one else had one with him (though the stove would still work, I suppose, just not the way it should).
Simpler is better, lighter is better, easier to make is better, and free is always good.

Pound Hound
11-19-2011, 19:41
before buying a stove make a few of the cat, pepsi can stoves etc. Just google to find some designs. Try them out at home judging weight, ease of lighting, stability etc. Cook real meals not just boiling water unless that's all you do. My personal preference is the super cat stove.

good luck

Pound Hound and Garage Man

Tramp
02-07-2012, 22:09
Check out www.bottlestoves.com what do we think about those stoves??

Lyle
02-07-2012, 22:35
Bought the Mama's Kitchen from AntiGravity quite a few years ago (like 5 or 6?). Have tried a few other designs, commercial, homemade, and commercial homemade. Keep going back to TinMan's stove that I got with the Mama's Kitchen. Always works well, easy to use, durable.

cabbagehead
02-08-2012, 10:34
If you're only trying to bring water to a boil, you should try making a supercat stove.

If you're cooking cabbage, pasta, etc., I recommend a pressurized stove, such as the ones I sell at bottlestoves.com.

JAK
02-08-2012, 11:35
What most people call a stove I think of as a burner. What I think of as a stove is the burner, pot stand, windscreen, and even the ground pad if there is one, everything but the pot. With the pot I guess the whole thing could be thought of as a water heater, or boiler. The wind screen and ground pad, and the pot stand also, is important not just in reducing heat loss, but also in restricting air flow and increasing combustion temperature. There might also be some sort of reflector/reradiator plate, between the pot and the burner, but this might not always help. On one hand it does allow higher combustion temperatures below the plate, especially when the pot is cold. On the other hand it might adversely restrict heat transfer to the pot. With a good design I think a reflector/reradiator plate might work, and might be particularly beneficial for sooty fuels like isopropanol and vegetable oil, but it does complicate things somewhat. Happy stovin'.

Connie
02-20-2012, 12:30
In my experience, the cooking pot and lid has to be the first selection. Next, the "burner" has to have the flame pattern right for it. Then, the windscreen has to do the job right. It all has to work well together.

I like my Vargo Titanium 750 Sierra with the flames coming up the tapered sides, but not so high the flames go over the lid. The tapered sides allow more cooking styles: boil water, saute, fry, like that.

The zelph Super Stove gets the most use. I am thinking his new Mini Fancee Feest might become my most used "burner". I like his ridged EZ-Fold windscreen. I use bobby pins for "feet" to raise it up 1/4-inch for better airflow.

However, his folding wood stove goes in a pocket, and, with his "companion stove" makes a great combination.

In any event, I am not as concerned about small weight differences so much as how well it packs.

However, I definitely prefer his wickitized "burners" with the integral potstand.

GrassyNoel
02-20-2012, 13:10
I had been using a cheap, lightweight "soda-can" style alcohol stove I bought on eBay until cooking breakfast Sunday morning at West Mountain shelter (Harriman) when the inner can's "welded" lining split. My guess is the cold morning (20F) plus quick heat expanded the thing beyond its capacity. I suppose I should have slept with the stove in my sleeping bag... I did get breakfast cooked, but only with more fuel than should be necessary. I've taken this experience to mean I should probably invest in a more robust alcohol stove, even if slightly heavier than a soda-can model. No one wants to be in the middle of the forest without a working stove.

BigFoot2002
02-20-2012, 13:35
I've found the Etowah alcohol stove to be a good one. It works well down to single digits, without sleeping with the stove or fuel. It will boil a liter of water, and maybe more - I never needed more yet. It boils and simmers my knorrs rice and pasta to perfection. After 4000 miles, I'm just breaking in my third stove. Don't forget the windscreen.

cabbagehead
03-05-2012, 14:35
Placing your stove on an upside down can helps significantly in cold weather.

Don Newcomb
06-13-2012, 10:16
Not sure which fuel root to take :confused: seems the best choice methanol is also the most hazardous will it really be that bad to take on a thru-hike? My understanding is that what we call "methanol" (denatured alcohol) in the US is really mostly ethanol with enough methanol and other alcohols to make it toxic to drink. I could be wrong about that. It's just something I read someplace.

Odd Man Out
06-13-2012, 15:06
My understanding is that what we call "methanol" (denatured alcohol) in the US is really mostly ethanol with enough methanol and other alcohols to make it toxic to drink. I could be wrong about that. It's just something I read someplace.

Denatured alcohol and methanol are not the same thing. Denatured alcohol is ethanol blended with denaturants (sometimes methanol, sometimes other chemical) to make it not drinkable (thus it's not taxed as an alcoholic beverage). However, pure methanol is also available, most commonly as gas line antifreeze (Heet) in the yellow bottle (not iso-Heet in the red bottle) or as a solvent from the paint supply department. Methanol is toxic if you drink it or inhale a large amount of fumes in an enclosed space. You may absorb some through your skin if you bath/wash with it. Burning it in an enclosed space also produces toxic fumes. But when burning it as a stove fuel when camping, you should not be doing any of these things. Since it burns very clean and I use it outside, I don't worry about the toxicity of methanol vs other alcohol fuels.

People are often concerned when they read that a chemical is "toxic", but in most cases, toxicity is dose dependent. You must consider both the toxicity (the amount needed to cause harm) as well as the amount you are exposed to (the dose). Water and salt are both toxic, but the amount you need to consume to kill you is so high, we don't spend much time worrying about it. Plutonium is extremely toxic (the tiniest dose can kill you), but the amount we are normally exposed to every day is so low, again we don't worry about it. Yes methanol is toxic, but what dose are your exposed to? You only use a few oz per day. Almost all of that is burned to CO2. The trace amount that is not burned will either be spilled on the ground, washed away with water, or be blown away into the air. The number of the toxic molecules that might actually make it into you body (when used appropriately) is so vanishingly small as to be of little concern.

Bucho
06-13-2012, 21:36
Don't make your own. It sounds easy right? Just cut and glue together an old pop can. It won't work though.

I disagree the supercat is stupid easy to make. No glue, no cutting, doesn't even involve a pop can. Mine works great.

Wise Old Owl
06-13-2012, 22:35
There is absolutely no advantage to pressurizing fuel in an alcohol stove. I built a bunch when I first tried alcohol, about 8 years ago, and my Supercat (Jim Woods design) was more fuel efficient, boiled more quickly, didn't require priming or a pot stand, and was far easier to make and lighter to boot. I recently "invented" a simmer ring, so now I can simmer, too.
We had an incident on our last hike where a friend temporarily lost the penny for his penny stove and was lucky that he found it because no one else had one with him (though the stove would still work, I suppose, just not the way it should).
Simpler is better, lighter is better, easier to make is better, and free is always good.

Thanks Tinker after a "few" years of self exsperiments I came to the same conclusion... Made a Starlyte from Zelph's notes and discovered that too...wish I felt more comfortable making the same statement.

Wise Old Owl
06-13-2012, 22:39
I had been using a cheap, lightweight "soda-can" style alcohol stove I bought on eBay until cooking breakfast Sunday morning at West Mountain shelter (Harriman) when the inner can's "welded" lining split. My guess is the cold morning (20F) plus quick heat expanded the thing beyond its capacity. I suppose I should have slept with the stove in my sleeping bag... I did get breakfast cooked, but only with more fuel than should be necessary. I've taken this experience to mean I should probably invest in a more robust alcohol stove, even if slightly heavier than a soda-can model. No one wants to be in the middle of the forest without a working stove.

you can fix that yourself with a qtip and JB weld at any hardware store.... no need to replace it.

rocketsocks
06-13-2012, 23:10
you can fix that yourself with a qtip and JB weld at any hardware store.... no need to replace it.
I have JB welded many aluminum boat cracks,that stuff works great,And now,"I'm a believer".

cabbagehead
06-14-2012, 16:40
_ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1pX7pHes-4)_________________________________

cabbagehead
06-14-2012, 16:43

I make durable stoves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1pX7pHes-4

veteran
08-03-2012, 15:52
Anybody have experience with the Vargo Titanium Triad Stove? 1 oz.

Cadenza
08-03-2012, 21:36
Anybody have experience with the Vargo Titanium Triad Stove? 1 oz.

Yes. I have one. I've never been able to get it to stay lit,....even indoors.
And no,...it's not because of bad fuel. The same stuff boils water quickly in my RUCAS.

zelph
08-08-2012, 17:18
Yes. I have one. I've never been able to get it to stay lit,....even indoors.
And no,...it's not because of bad fuel. The same stuff boils water quickly in my RUCAS.

Doesn't that just frost your crackers when you pay big bucks for titanium and it don't work. It's the old, you need to prime it to get it to work. Do like the White Box Stove, put it in a primer tray, add a little alchy to the tray and whoosh, you got a working ti stove. Get the pot on asap to reflect heat back to the stove.

Trade it in on good cabbage stove;)

Tacky Hiker
08-21-2012, 18:59
Zelph stoves/pots are the way to go. I have had my share of stoves.

Current setup: Vargo Ti Wood Stove and Snow Peak Ti 600ml Pot !!

zelph
08-27-2012, 22:35
Here is a stove that does nicely in cold, breezy conditions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Po0FrMBLcrM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvsKmUksF5w&feature=relmfu

The Venom Super Stove is a little larger in diameter for better pot support. It's made from an energy drink bottle soon to be discontinued. The thick aluminum bottle is being replaced by the thin pop can aluminum. First the Heineken can and now the Venom bottles........bummer.

RedRunnerJumper
08-28-2012, 10:30
I've been looking at everyone's input and just reading posts. I'm thinking about ordering the Gram Weenie PRO and try it out http://end2endtrailsupply.com/Gram_Weenie_PRO_packages.html It's inexpensive so worth a look. Order right from the site, should be trustworthy, what does anyone else think about it?

swjohnsey
08-28-2012, 11:35
I'm using Zelph's Super Venom, very tough, efficient, no pot stand need.

cabbagehead
09-15-2012, 23:03
I've been putting up some videos of people using stoves. This was at the end of a 10 day trip I took recently. I have more videos that I will edit and put up soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ob4A1pe3L8

Franco
09-16-2012, 00:15
As for that Vargo Ti stove...
a mate of mine bought one and I tried it out . At the time I tried a lot of stoves , that Vargo was one of the worst.
Used a lot of fuel but was not particularly fast so kind of a lose lose situation...
Looks and feels very nice and that I would assume is the reason some buy it.
Franco

Drybones
09-16-2012, 10:03
I use a version of the cat stove, lightweight, reliable, easy to find fuel, fun to make. Made from an aerasol can to fit
the beer can pot I use. I use the standard cat stove when using traditional pots. I can take a second smaller pot and stove inside the larger pot to heat drinks while water for the meal is cooking. Can also put fuel, pot holder, lighter inside pot. The photo on right shows set up for cooking.

Gillum
09-16-2012, 10:35
The Etowah Stove Kit has been performing great for me this year. Lightweight and low burn rate. Ordering the $25 kit was a snap and I'll be getting one for my sone who will "thru" next year.
http://www.etowahoutfittersultralightbackpackinggear

Gillum
09-16-2012, 10:41
Ooops.... Left off the .com

Here's the link: http://www.etowahoutfittersultralightbackpackinggear.com/

Bearleg
10-15-2012, 20:54
Long time, coleman stove user, bought an Esbit Alchohol stove this spring, to cut weight, stove, wind screen, cup and lid cost around $50, Amazon, used it on a 4 day section hike. Will never go back, everything packed well and no moving parts. Used about 1-2 oz of fuel per day.

Bearleg
10-15-2012, 20:56
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41EsRj6tRjL._SL500_AA300_.jpgcarried an extra solid fuel cubes just in case i ran out of alcohol