PDA

View Full Version : Arriving from England

RedTop
02-18-2005, 14:27
Hi all,

I have some questions regarding hiking the Appalachian Trail from an International perspective.

A few years ago, while visiting my sister, I joined a group from Cornell University in a section hike in New York State. It was great fun. Now I would like to travel to the U.S.A. again in order to complete a much longer section hike on my own or with a friend.

I would probably fly from London to Washington Airport and try to hike south to a town in North Carolina where I can get public transportation back to Washington.

So,

How can I get from the Airport to the trail and where would I join it?
Where can I get a fuel bottle for my British Stove?
Where can I get food supplies before I set out?
How difficult is it to get food on the trail section in Virginia?
Is there a train service anywhere near the trail in Southern Virginia or North Carolina?
How can I get the maps and books I need for a hike like this?
RedTop (Jane)

The Solemates
02-18-2005, 15:59
Hi all,

I have some questions regarding hiking the Appalachian Trail from an International perspective.

A few years ago, while visiting my sister, I joined a group from Cornell University in a section hike in New York State. It was great fun. Now I would like to travel to the U.S.A. again in order to complete a much longer section hike on my own or with a friend.

I would probably fly from London to Washington Airport and try to hike south to a town in North Carolina where I can get public transportation back to Washington.

So,

How can I get from the Airport to the trail and where would I join it?
Where can I get a fuel bottle for my British Stove?
Where can I get food supplies before I set out?
How difficult is it to get food on the trail section in Virginia?
Is there a train service anywhere near the trail in Southern Virginia or North Carolina?
How can I get the maps and books I need for a hike like this?
RedTop (Jane)

1. I know AmTrak goes to Abingdon, VA because I have seen it posted on WB that it does. If you want to hike the state of VA, this may be where to start because it is virtually at the NC/VA border. That will give you over 500 miles of hiking. If you want to do some hiking in NC as well (and increase your miles to say 700), you will have to go further south to start, obviously. Im not real keen on the public transportation issue, so maybe someone else will know.

2. What kind of stove do you have? Many stoves are interchangeable if you have a cannister. If you need any type of liquid fuel, you wont have any problem at all since it is widely available. You may even consider just buying a stove once you get here since dealing with airlines can be a hassle. Whats $50 when your spending a thousand to come to America anyways?

3. There will be PLENTY of options for food. Americans like to eat, and unlike Europe, there is a grocery store on every street corner. In the South, there is a church AND a grocery store on every corner. I would wait to purchase food once you get to the trailhead in the town where you start.

4. Generally, you can easily resupply every 3-5 days in VA, as road crossings allow you to find a ride into town. You may spend a little more money on groceries in a trail town versus a bigger town, but you live in Europe, so Im sure you are used to inflated prices for food.

5. See my response to #1.

6. Visit http://www.aldha.org/05book.htm for free info on trail specifics, including logistics, maps, and resupply stops.

Hope this helps...

Lone Wolf
02-18-2005, 16:02
1. AMTRAK goes nowhere near Abingdon

The Solemates
02-18-2005, 16:02
Sorry, http://www.aldha.org/comp_pdf.htm

The Solemates
02-18-2005, 16:13
1. AMTRAK goes nowhere near Abingdon

Hmmm..I thought it did. My bad. Please inform us...

Icicle
02-18-2005, 16:14
My husband and I will start that AT in March (gosh not long now!!).

We both have Optimus Crux stoves which will fit on any screw top canister fuel in the USA. These were purchased in the UK. The Pocket Rocket is also sold in the UK and does fit USA canister fuel.

Where in Southern England are you? We are in North Somerset near Bristol in a little town called Clevedon....

Lone Wolf
02-18-2005, 16:16
There USED to be a Greyhound station in Abingdon. I think the closest AMTRAK station is in Charlotte, NC, 2 1/2 hours away.

Alligator
02-18-2005, 16:37
There's an Amtrak Route Map at this link

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Amtrak/Page/Routes_Index_Page&c=Page&cid=1080072922209&ssid=4

My suggestion would be to look, then check for timetables and such. Train service is not very good cross-country in the US. There are other more local/regional train services than Amtrak, depends on where you want to go. Most people fly or drive.

java
02-18-2005, 17:59
You can take an Amtrak to Harper's Ferry, West Virginia. It would probably be a great place for you to start from, then you could visit headquarters and have all your questions answered. Just bring enough food for a few days because there isn't a great food resupply in Harper's Ferry, but there is an outfitter. There are also good outfitters in DC, if you need anything special.

The Gnome
02-18-2005, 19:55
Jane,

I can directly help you with your questions and I applaud the enthusiasm of a fellow Brit. in travelling to the United States to hike one of the best trails in the world.

I operate a “Shuttle Service” for A.T. hikers based around Dulles International Airport (IAD). This is the main airport for the Washington D.C. area, even though it is located some 30 miles (45km) to the West in Northern Virginia. I started shuttling some German friends last year and I am extending into a general shuttle for hikers based on the Northern Virginia area. Much of the information I’m giving here is duplicated in an information packet for air travelers I’m sending to you via a private e-mail.
To answer your specific questions:

1. I can shuttle your from the Airport to the closest trail head around the Harper’s Ferry area (35m/50km). As most international flights arrive in mid to late afternoon and you will be tired, I suggest you stay in a local hotel or the youth hostel at Sandy Hook for your first night. See the information packet for details of pick up locations, ‘phone numbers and accommodation rates.

2. You probably have a Gaz stove? This is the most popular model in Europe. I can arrange to pick up a canister (bottle) for you from the outfitters before you arrive along with any other equipment needs you may have.

3. There are a number of supermarkets on the road between the Airport and Harper’s Ferry. It is no problem to stop at one of these for you to get supplies and become familiar with U.S. brand names.

4. The chain supermarkets (called grocery stores here) in Virginia are Giant, Safeway and Food Lion. These are roughly equivalent to your Tescos and Sainsburys. All of these sell a wide range of food suitable for hiking fodder and you can find endless advice in the “Cooking and Food” forum. You will probably never go more than six days without passing close to a decent re-supply point.

5. “Train Service in Virginia?” Not since about 1972!!! However there is a Greyhound bus service from the towns close to Interstate 81 (I-81) that runs roughly parallel to the A.T. in Virginia. Details of the services, fares and methods of reaching the bus terminals are in the information packet. There are good connections to get you back to Dulles airport or to downtown D.C. if you intend being a normal tourist for a while after you hike. If you get as far as N.C., the town of Asheville has an airport where you can catch a flight back to Dulles. However, be aware that South of Roanoke, the bus service is being radically curtailed (Abingdon is already closed it seems) and you may need to use a local shuttle service to get you to a major town with a bus station.

6. There is a good discussion in another thread on the true value of maps and guides while on the trail. IMHO, the Companion Book or “Wingfoot Guide” are the best buys and smallest weight penalty for a hiker. They gives you more information than the mini data book, such as details of how to reach those supply stores but are lighter than all the maps you would need in a two month plus hike. As I work at a trail club, I can pick up any maps or books you may need before you arrive.

For more information about hiking the A.T. use the “Search” button on this web site. You will find at least ten argumentative opinions on every subject possible from wooly hats to toilet paper with some dubious humor (humour) thrown in for good measure. This site is a treasure trove of good information.

Welcome to the strange world of the White Blaze.

orangebug
02-18-2005, 21:59
Amtrak comes closest to the VA AT at Charlottesville, down the mountain from Waynesboro, VA (I-65, I believe). Charlottesville is served by the Southern Crescent Line. Harpers Ferry also has Amtrak service, I believe you would also have to go into DC to Union Station for a connection from Dulles.

I recommend a shuttle as suggested by The Gnome and start in Harper's Ferry. You should have a great time there exploring Civil War history and recovering from jet lag.

I'd anticipate about a month to do VA. If I were to plan to fly home from the AT, I'd suggest a shuttle to either Roanoke, VA, or Knoxville, TN. Roanoke is south west VA, a bit SW of Charlottesville on the map. Knoxville is the easiest airport with inexpensive connections (Airtran and such) with shutlles from Damascus thru Hot Springs, NC likely to work. It is pretty convenient from the Smokies via Gatlinburg, a great place to see Americana including Dollywood. Graham Norton did a schtick there a while back.

Welcome. Great time to visit the States while the Euro kicks the dollar's butt!

J.D.
02-19-2005, 16:02
As posted already, GREAT TIME to do this because of the Euro vs. USD!

Welcome to Virginia! When do you arrive? I live in Northern Virginia: 25 miles S. of the White House, 65 miles from Bears Den Hostel, and approx. 2 hours drive from Harpers Ferry. Approx. 35 miles from Dulles International Airport and 20 miles from National Airport

Depending on your arrival date, I would be happy to offer assistance.

If you have any questions please feel free to email me directly:

JD at HOESSLE dot COM

Icicle
02-19-2005, 16:09
As posted already, GREAT TIME to do this because of the Euro vs. USD!Even better as England is still on the ££ ;)

J.D.
02-19-2005, 16:19
Even better as England is still on the ££ ;)
Didn't know that...! Thought they had forced it... So, the dollar is losing against the pound too...?

Icicle
02-19-2005, 16:42
Didn't know that...! Thought they had forced it... So, the dollar is losing against the pound too...?
No, we still have the pound...and at the moment we average $1.83 for every £1.00...

That's why we are frequent shoppers at REI and have stuff shipped to my mom's in Florida! If a tent costs $200 in the USA, it's about £200 here... ;)

MadAussieInLondon
02-20-2005, 08:34
yeah the pound is stronger than the euro right now.

which is good stuff :)

shame gear here in the uk costs in pounds what it costs in usd.. so we are in effect paying double... :(

Icicle
02-20-2005, 08:53
shame gear here in the uk costs in pounds what it costs in usd.. so we are in effect paying double... :(
It's the same with everything...even happy meals at McD's. A happy meal is $1.99 in the USA and £1.99 here...so in effect you would pay $3.64. (this is just a rough example...haven't bought a happy meal in AGES! ;) )

Although I feel RICH when I go to the USA....:)

Another example: my tent is listed as $175.00 on REI. Here is the UK it's £199.00. I bought it from REI and picked it up at my mom's...with shipping and some Dr Bronners it came to $186.81. So in effect it cost me £102.00 so I saved £97.00 (or $177.00)!!

J.D.
02-20-2005, 18:48
> Although I feel RICH when I go to the USA....:)

Hmmm... And, I didn't think Rich was that kinda guy....<g>....

> So in effect it cost me £102.00 so I saved £97.00 (or $177.00)!!

That is just amazing! Your pricing examples and deals with R.E.I. and shipping them to Mom is great. My one and only adventure in the UK years ago and it was totally reversed.

Happy Trails,

J.D.

Newb
02-20-2005, 21:55
Land at Washington Reagan or Dulles (Reagan is better for metro accessability/cost) and go to UNION station downtown DC. There is a daily Amtrak train that goes to Harpers Ferry West Virginia at 530 in the afternoon. It costs under 20 dollars and takes an hour or so. Stay overnight in Harpers then hike south.

Newb
02-20-2005, 22:02
Oh, another thing. www.amtrak.com (http://www.amtrak.com) is where you go to check schedules. J.D. offered to help you, and I extend the same offer. If you have any questions drop me a line.

Another option is to hire a ride from Dulles out to Front Royal for your first night (to get yourself rested up). I don't know how to arrange that but it can't be too difficult. Front Royal will put you south of the Roller Coaster for your start and you'll pretty much go right into Shenandoah National Park.

I highly suggest you see Harpers Ferry, though. It is a unique place worthy of a visit by any tourist to our fair land.

MadAussieInLondon
02-21-2005, 06:59
i landed at dulles when I went last year. got a lift down to springer. cheapest when I looked was to land at dulles. as others have said, jump the train to harpers ferry and hike south down through the shenandoahs and down. ill be busy getting married in june over there, but lemme know when you are going etc, maybe will be able to drop some trailmagic your way, as i'll be living near skyline drive near big meadows etc.

what sort of british stove do you have? depending on its age, its probably EN417 compatible.. but might be oddball..