PDA

View Full Version : Shin splints

Chop
08-30-2011, 08:32
Maybe this has been covered extensively, but search isn't working right now on the phone app.

I'm out on my AT sobo thru, and feeling some low grade ache/pain in the outer part of my lower leg which I would typically think is a shin splints.

That should I do about it? Any on trail remedies besides Ibuprofin and not running or jumping onto that leg?

Thanks!

Tom Murphy
08-30-2011, 09:04
1. REST. REDUCE THE WORKLOAD. Shin splints result from training too hard, too fast, and can sideline any athlete, including a hiker. So reduce your mileage. Take a few zeros if possible.
2. ICE. Immerse your legs in every single river crossing until they are numb.
3. MASSAGE. Massage the muscle to promote blood flow.

Rocket Jones
08-30-2011, 11:04
Might be too late for preventative exercises, but I've heard that walking on your heels (with your toes pointed up as much as possible) for a short distance will strengthen the muscles involved in shin splints. Do 50-100 feet this way each day.

ScottP
08-30-2011, 11:06
get rid of junk in your pack to start

burger
08-30-2011, 11:41
Stretch your calves often.

+1 on walking on your heels. Alternatively, you can stand with your back against a wall and your feet a foot or so out from the wall. Raise both toes so that you're standing on your heels and then slowly lower them (it should take about 1-2 seconds per rep). Repeat 10 times. Gradually work up to 20 or more reps. This will strengthen the muscles on the front of your calves.

Chop
08-30-2011, 13:33
Thanks guys.

Pack is light. Have 10lbs base weight. So rarely over 18 these days.

Have hopped into two streams to numb today....and lower with messaging. Certainly soothing, but as the day progresses, shin feels worse.

Will try the exercises.

This is bizarre as I have hiked aggressively on rocky terrain in the whites, where I live, for years. Walked quickly through Maine, NH and Vermont without issues (even jogging large portions on some slackpack days). Now I get to easy and much softer terrain, and I get shin splints....it doesn't make sense.

I had two weeks off when I sprain my ankle in mass as well. Currently in NY.

bflorac
08-30-2011, 23:53
To prevent shin splints I get from running, I stretch the FRONT of my lower leg (shin). I stand up, point my toe down and push the top of my toe/foot up against the side of the curb. Works for me!

moytoy
08-31-2011, 05:13
Actually walking on softer ground may cause the pain. You are using different muscles. I did a google search and didn't come up with anything different than has already been mentioned. You may have to slow down or stop to let the muscles heal.

jcazz
08-31-2011, 06:10
compression sleeves may help

Chop
08-31-2011, 09:28
Thanks guys. On reflecting on the first response ( and others ) to my thread, I am taking at least today off. The shelter I am at is comfy and short of ice cold water, should be a good place to try and heal a bit.

I have a compression sock from the ankle sprain and will use that. Actually still have some meloxicam (that I didn't need for the ankle) that should help the swelling with the shin.

A day if relaxing in the sun with a bucket of cool water and reading will be pretty nice.

leaftye
09-01-2011, 13:51
Now I get to easy and much softer terrain, and I get shin splints....it doesn't make sense.

I haven't had shin splints in a long time, but I feel them starting to act up when I'm on soft sandy soil. Actually, what I notice is that I feel like I'm trying to lift my toes so I don't kick sand around, and then that causes shin splints. It doesn't bother me nearly as much if I try harder to keep a normal gait.

Mr. Clean
09-03-2011, 05:49
When you stop for a break, find a rock near a tree and put your feet against the rock, toes pointing upwards, and stretch the backs of your legs. The tree is to hold onto. You may notice it's worse going downhill cause you're not getting that stretch on the backs of your legs. Try it, anyway.

k2basecamp
09-03-2011, 11:27
Jennifer pharr davis made it through shin splints so maybe the secret is to hike farther and faster.

Blissful
09-03-2011, 13:00
You can get a shin support (http://www.footsmart.com/c-calf-shin-supports-77.aspx) for it. It covers the whole lower leg. I had one when I injured my calf. Hotter than anything but supported my lower calf. If your pain progresses it can develop a stress fracture. And you need ICE massage, not in a stream but real ice. I'd stay off it for a week too. And you may need a little heel lift under your insole. (it can be cut from older insoles and placed underneath. I use superfeet and used the regular insole that came with the shoes my heel lift. I just cut out the back part and put it under my Superfeet. Also how worn are your shoes? And you need to cut your mileage.

Blissful
09-03-2011, 13:01
oops posted double

topshelf
09-04-2011, 12:54
Be careful, shin splints are a sign of a possibly bad injury on the way. Shin splints are the result of your calf muscles becoming tired and once the muscles and tendons stop offering support your legs losses all support and the strain of stepping is put all on the bone in your leg. It is a result from a sudden increase in use and a resulting overuse of the muscle. This can cause the bone to splinter, chip, and will result in stress fractures in the bone. I've seen some people run on shin splints to the point that the entire bone has broken.

You really need to rest for dayS and reduce your mileage significantly. Last time I had shin splints I was asked to stay of my legs as much as possible for 2-3 weeks. At the first sign of pain you need to immediately stop.

I know that's not what you want to hear while on the trail, but it is a condition that can go south quickly. Once the pain is gone increase your mileage back slowly.

If it is the muscle next to the bone, not the bone itself try these stretches often. http://www.the-fitness-motivator.com/images/shin_stretch.jpg http://www.weightlossforall.com/images/calf%20stretch%20lower%20leg.JPG Do the second with knees bent.

I also use something called "The Stick". I roll my legs with it twice a day. It really really helps me prevent the problem

Chop
09-23-2011, 20:03
Thought Id post a follow up.

After starting the thread, I took two days off. Hiked a short day, then took another day off. Was feeling good, hiked 3 or 4 more days doing normal miles. On the last day, we were headed into town and had to walk a long sloping road walk around a section where a bridge had just been washed away in NJ. That really hurt.

The next day, I went to a doctor, who thought it was just shin splints. She advised me to put an ankle brace (mine goes mid way up my leg) on the leg with shin splints. On speaking to another doctor, she advised me not to stretch the leg at all for a month...she said it was fine to walk on it if it did not hurt, but don't stretch it.

After four and a half days of rest, I got back out on the trail. It has been good since (9 days). I believe the support from the brace, and not stretching has helped the muscle begin to attach where the damage was (if I understand the injury correctly). Have done 24 mile days, with 17-18 being typical, and have been feeling really good.

Rocket Jones
09-23-2011, 20:21
Glad to hear it's working out for you!

topshelf
09-24-2011, 19:57
On speaking to another doctor, she advised me not to stretch the leg at all for a month...she said it was fine to walk on it if it did not hurt, but don't stretch it.

That's an interesting concept...not stretching it... When did she suggest not stretching? EVER? or just when in pain? I can see not stretching it when it is fatigued and when it is tight, but not stretching at all confuses me and seems counter-intuitive.

Chop
09-29-2011, 20:25
She said to wait a full month after there is no pain and then begin stretching.

English Stu
09-30-2011, 10:26
Good news,when I reviewed it after some shin pain ,the exercise suggested was, within the realms of pain, to rub the affected area with the heel of the other foot i.e to help re attache the muscle area affected. Seemed to work of for me . Reduce mileage.Rest if you can.