PDA

View Full Version : NEW AT UL Thruhiker PACK SIZE POLL

erichlf
02-18-2005, 16:22
There were some mistakes in previous poll so I am starting this again.
First a definition.

I propose...

Medium weight solo 3-season thru-hiker. Base pack weight of 15-20#. Total wet 5-day, 2qt pack weight of ~40#. If you ever carry more than 40# on an AT thru-hiker you must have great knees.:eek:
Lightweight solo 3-season thru hiker. Base pack weight of 10#-15#. Total wet 5-day, 1.5qt pack weight of 30#
Ultra Lightweight solo 3-season thru-hiker. Base pack weight of 5#-10#. Total wet 5-day, 1qt pack weight of 20-25#.
Super Ultra Lightweight solo 3-season thru-hiker. Base pack weight of 5# or less. Total wet 5-day, 0.5qt weight of 15-20#.
Thanks tlbj6142.

Second Purpose:
I have not done any major thruhikes yet. I am to do a Thruhike on the Tahoe Rim Trail (TRT) this summer. My longest stretch yet was only 4 days. This summer will be 8. Any way, I was thinking of getting my pack size down to 2300 CI, with and expansion collar to 3000-3300 CI. But, before I go off designing and sewing I was wondering what people thought was an adequate AT UL Thruhiker pack size. With your answer please state why, and your base weight or FSO which ever just let me know which you are giving. Thank you.

Third What I am looking for:
Pack Size Including Extension Collar

erichlf
02-18-2005, 16:34
By the way how much food do you think is necessary to bring?

Footslogger
02-18-2005, 16:52
By the way how much food do you think is necessary to bring?==================================
That's kinda personal. But I think you'll find that the "average" is about 2 lbs/day. Depends a great deal on the season and your eating habits. During my thru on the AT my foodbag coming out of town for a 4 day stretch would generally weigh 8 - 9 lbs.

'Slogger
AT 2003

erichlf
02-18-2005, 16:53
I guess I should have said How many days worth of food?

chris
02-18-2005, 16:59
That also depends. Think of it this way. I like to stay out on the trail, so I avoid hitches. I also cover more ground per day than an average AT hiker. So, I would buy food at Neels Gap and then hike to the NOC for my next resupply. I would carry 4+ days of food (so, arrive on the 5th day) for this leg. Of course, many hikers will break this up with a stop along the way somewhere.

Or, from Fontana, I would haul to Hot Springs, carrying 5+ days of food (5 full days and enough to get to town). Many hikers will break this up by stopping at Gatlinburg or at Mountain Momas or Standing Bear.

How many days of food you need will depend on how much time you want to spend in town and how far you hike in a typical day. If you want a ball park figure, though, just plan on an average of 3 days, knowing it will be more in the south, and much less in the north.

erichlf
02-18-2005, 17:03
How many days of food you need will depend on how much time you want to spend in town and how far you hike in a typical day. If you want a ball park figure, though, just plan on an average of 3 days, knowing it will be more in the south, and much less in the north. I think I prefer not going into town much at all. I was debating not staying at any hostels or what not, but then I thought about my wife. I know she wouldn't want to pass it up.

chris
02-18-2005, 17:25
Some of the hostels are quality. I would think, seriously, about staying at Elmer's in Hot Springs. I would stay in Erwin, either at Miss Janet's or Uncle Johnny's. UJ was great to me, others have had negative experiences. If I was going through again, I would stay at Miss Janet's.

I didn't go into Kincora, but everyone loves it. In Damascus, the Place is a good stop.

Bears Den in VA (a day before Harpers Ferry) is a great stop. The hostel at Harpers Ferry is also quality. Rusty's, which everyone seems to like, is closed.

I didn't stay in any other hostels, but I've heard some good ones exist, like Standing Bear outside of the Smokys.

If you want to stay out of towns, you'll end up hauling more food. This is the way that I go, but know that opinions can change once you hit the trail.

erichlf
02-18-2005, 17:32
but know that opinions can change once you hit the trail. Oh yeah no doubt. I could see myself throwing a complete system out the door after a bit.

hauptman
04-16-2005, 04:33
I will be hiking the AT this season starting on may 8th.
My pack size is 1,800 cubic inches and weighs only 6 ounces. I made it using 1.9 ounce Downproof Ripstop w./Teflon DWR.
It has no extension collar and will have nothing atatched to the out side. I will be using my pad as a back support.
I do not feel that I need an extension collar because of the extra room that I still have inside(enough for a few extra days worth of food if necessary.

JojoSmiley
04-16-2005, 10:40
What pack we use depends on where we are hiking. Last year on the NCT we used the Go-Lite Trek as we found we didn't need our Dana Bridgers. Our pack weight tends to be about 20-25 lb with food and 1-2 liters of water.

neo
04-17-2005, 10:02
my lightest pack is 9.2oz a thompson peaK made by fanatic fringe.2400 ci
is pack storage 400 ci mesh pockets,800 ci extension collar,i am going to have the extension collar shortned to 400 ci,i can trim excess straps and cet it down to 8.5 oz,they now have a 7oz pack and a 6oz pack:cool: neo

neo
04-17-2005, 10:04
I will be hiking the AT this season starting on may 8th.
My pack size is 1,800 cubic inches and weighs only 6 ounces. I made it using 1.9 ounce Downproof Ripstop w./Teflon DWR.
It has no extension collar and will have nothing atatched to the out side. I will be using my pad as a back support.
I do not feel that I need an extension collar because of the extra room that I still have inside(enough for a few extra days worth of food if necessary.
who makes this pack,were did you get it.:cool: neo

Pencil Pusher
04-17-2005, 17:51
Eh... read his post a little more carefully for the answers to your questions, neo.

So you'll save 0.7 ounces or whatever. How many extra pounds of body fat will you be carrying? If you're in good enough shape, 10 extra pounds of pack weight isn't going to make any difference.