PDA

View Full Version : Old Rag

rene
02-18-2005, 16:29
I climbed Old Rag in Shenandoah last Falland being overweight and out of shape had a pretty hard time. Coming down was more difficult and quite painful to my old arthritic knees which really pointed out the advantage of trekking poles. Will the AT have similar or worse climbs/descents as Old Rag. I still intend to go I just want to know what I'm in for.

Thanks,

Rene

orangebug
02-18-2005, 16:48
Yes, you will have ample opportunity to learn why the Irish were correct in hoping for long up hills, as the ground will rise to meet your feet.

However, your pain in your knees wasn't due to arthritis and would not have been helped all that much by trekking poles. That is a classic symptom of weakness in your quads, leading to an exhausted and sloppy knees. As you gain trail legs, you will experience that malady less frequently. Pace yourself the first few weeks.

Often, you can decrease the pain in those downhills by walking sideways, but that is a slow walk.

How are you preparing for your walk?

rene
02-18-2005, 17:52
I've been walking and doing some one legged knee dips as prescribed by an ortho doc. I belong to a good gym and have an appointment to get evaluated etc and to get specific exercises that will build up my quads. Thanks a lot.

Rene

SalParadise
02-18-2005, 18:44
Orangebug is right on. I saw a lot of hikers, in and out of shape, with problems in their knees from weak quads. I believe what happens is as your body tries to compensate, the tendons around the kneecap are weakened and that's where the pain comes from. What helped almost everybody is a simple knee brace. It's about an inch wide, goes right under the kneecap and keeps it in place. You can pick it up at most any store, or I've even seen people using a bandana.

Would Glucosamine help for this as well? Besides the quad exercises, that is.

Skyline
02-18-2005, 19:37
Yes, there are more difficult ascents, descents, and bouldering than Old Rag--on the AT. Almost all of it is in New Hampsire and Maine, tho there are isolated exceptions in other states.

IMO they saved the most difficult for last--Katahdin. In my journal I called it "The Final Exam." It's also the most rewarding.

SavageLlama
02-18-2005, 20:33
However, your pain in your knees wasn't due to arthritis and would not have been helped all that much by trekking poles.
Trekking poles will help ease sore knees, as they transfer about 20% of the weight off of your knees, especially on downhills. My hiking buddy, who is in great shape but gets recurring sore knees, credits trekking poles with allowing him to thru-hike the Long Trail this past fall.

However, I totally agree that if you are completely out of shape than poles will make little difference.

orangebug
02-18-2005, 21:17
I found that trekking poles, even without much of a daypack, did little for my knees SOBO into Hot Springs last June, on my first trip after back surgery. I was overly confident after walking streets, rail to trails and NordicTrak. As I came off Rich Mountain, my knees screamed in agony. After a long rest, I made it up the next hill, but the first minor descent let me know that I was going no further. I was able to hitch a ride with a mountain biker.

Subsequent sections have sold me on the benefit of neoprene knee braces. I thought these were too small and only had placebo value. I am unsure why they help, but the small amount of stability for the upper knee made the difference for me as I completed my Thanksgiving 150 mile section.

I recommend training on stairs with no stopping until the lower thighs cry "Uncle!"

Glucosamine helps cartilage injury and inflammation. It would not help this pain. Unremitting training is the only solution. NOGA will provide it if you don't prepare in your local high rise building.

orangebug
02-18-2005, 21:21
BTW, the "exposed ridgeline" Relo south of Jerry's Cabin is one of the most fun and challenging rock climbs I've ever enjoyed. It made me accept the fact that I was out of water for the night. It should test just about every joint in one's body.

Nightwalker
02-18-2005, 21:41
I climbed Old Rag in Shenandoah last Falland being overweight and out of shape had a pretty hard time. Coming down was more difficult and quite painful to my old arthritic knees which really pointed out the advantage of trekking poles. Will the AT have similar or worse climbs/descents as Old Rag. I still intend to go I just want to know what I'm in for.

Thanks,

Rene
What works for me, an old roundy hobbit, is to never-never-ever let my knees straighten out while going downhill. I also shorten and speed up my steps somewhat, and I never have knee problems.

I should say, however, that I hiked a few thousand miles before I got round, so that may be part of it, but definitely keep those steps short and loose on the steep downs.

:D

Footnotes
02-18-2005, 22:17
Rene,

I have hiked Old Rag many times. In the beginning of the AT I found Sassafras Mt. and Blood Mt. to equal it although they do not have any rock scrambles. The grade was about equal.

Foot Notes