PDA

View Full Version : Black Creek Trail near Hattiesburg, MS

SGT Rock
02-18-2005, 19:18
Looking for some trail info for the Black Creek Trail in MS. A couple of searches didn't tell me enough.

x2pray
02-18-2005, 23:31
I can't really tell you anything about Black Creek Trail. I am from Hattiesburg and have yet to hike it. I have heard that it is a very easy hike. I have completed the loop of the Tuxachanie Trail just south of Hattiesburg though. If you want any information on it, I'd be glad to help you out. I thoroughly enjoyed the hike on the Tuxachanie and would recommend it to any hiker that has at least some experience since the trail isn't always the easiest thing to follow if you don't have a map.

For the Black Creek trail check out the following URL. It may help. The journal entries should be pretty valuable.

http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/hiking/sections/places/bc_desoto_ms/bc_desoto_ms.htm

SGT Rock
02-19-2005, 01:35
The Tuxachanie Trail would be fine too as long as I can get their fairly easily from Hattiesburg. I should be able to get off around early afternoon tomorrow and I would like to go somewhere I can go out a few miles and stay the night, then come back in early morning Sunday. I just need a little trail time to get away from it all.

steve hiker
02-19-2005, 01:55
I dayhiked part of that a couple years ago. As you can imagine, it's flat and not very impressive. However it is in the woods, which beats the pants off a Wal-Mart parking lot.

If you have an extra hour or so to drive, you could go to Homochitto NF between McComb and Natchez. The area is very unlike south Miss, with rolling hills, bluffs and creeks that seem more out of Arkansas than down here. And HUGE pines that remind me of the big trees on the West Coast. Very nice, actually. Just be careful as the Clear Creek trail (the official hiking trail) is criss-crossed 50 times with game trails which some yo-yos have blazed with the same kind of blazes, so it's easy to get turned around if you don't keep it simple.

TakeABreak
02-19-2005, 03:24
Rock,

I did a quick search on www.google.com (http://www.google.com) for black creek trail, ms

I suggest trying this, the fourth item that came up was link to backpacker magazine with links to MS, info about the BCT.

x2pray
02-19-2005, 11:41
The Tuxachanie is very close to Hattiesburg. It is just about 35 minutes or so south of Camp Shelby in Saucier, Mississippi on Hwy 49. If coming from Hattiesburg, you will find the trail head on your left. It's in the DeSoto Nat'l Forest. A quick hike would be to hike the first five miles to Airey lake where there is water and restroom facilities and then hike back. I last hiked it in December 04 and a bridge was out about 1 mile from the trail head but it was easy to cross the creek using a little downed tree to the right of the trail. Someone had also strung a rope across the creek near the tree so you have something to hold onto. If you want to hike further, you can continue on another 5 or 6 miles past Airey Lake to P.O.W. Lake. Here you will find an old ammunitions battery used by the U.S. Army. They used to also house German and Japanese POW's here during WWII. Not much left except a few foundations and ordinance bunkers. Still a nice bit of military and American history.

SGT Rock
02-19-2005, 13:58
Well, if I can get off from work today at a reasonable time, I'll go down to Wiggins and try to get a map. I have seen that trailhead on 49 when I drove back from Gulfport once, I didn't know what sort of trail it was, I wished I would have stopped.

I figure I'll just go out a mile or two and camp, then come back in the morning. I have to work tommorrow too.

rumbler
02-19-2005, 14:51
Are you currently at Camp SHelby?

SGT Rock
02-19-2005, 14:54
I work thre,right now I'm sitting in a hotel packing my Gearskin :D

rumbler
02-19-2005, 15:14
I'm in Jackson.

I've kayaked the Black. Interesting area. Very very flat, but parts are old growth areas.

Have fun, good afternoon to go!

Cedar Tree
02-19-2005, 17:09
Sgt Rock, if you can reach Shane Steinkamp, I believe he has hiked this area extensively, he could probably help you.
Cedar Tree

camich
02-22-2005, 11:32
My family and I hiked Black Creek trail 2 years ago. There are a few small hills at the southern end but it is very very flat for the most part. We still enjoyed it. There are several nice camping areas.

Youngblood
02-22-2005, 14:21
Sarge,

Johnny Molloy's book, Long Trails of the Southeast, includes the Black Creek Trail in Mississippi. (Molloy's book is written for thru-hiking trails and includes the Bartram Trail, the Benton McKaye Trail, the Black Creek Trail, parts of the Florida Trail, the Foothills Trail, the Pinhoti Trail and the Wild Azalea Trail.) The Black Creek Trail sounds pretty good and is 41 miles long.

He has too much info for me to try to put it here, but he does mention Black Creek Canoe Rental in Brooklyn: "Another upside is a local shuttle service for one-way hikers. Black Creek Canoe Rental not only rents canoes and offers shuttle services for Black Creek paddlers, they also serve hikers and backpackers who want to hike a portion of the trail or tackle it from end to end. I have used their service and highly recommend them." he also goes on to mention: "The only real downside for hikers is Camp Shelby, a nearby military installation that occasionally explodes bombs, breaking the area's solitude."

My guess is that Black Creek Canoe Rental in Brooklyn ( http://www.blackcreekcanoe.com/ ) could fix you up with maps and such?

Youngblood

SGT Rock
02-23-2005, 20:47
Sarge,

Johnny Molloy's book, Long Trails of the Southeast, includes the Black Creek Trail in Mississippi. (Molloy's book is written for thru-hiking trails and includes the Bartram Trail, the Benton McKaye Trail, the Black Creek Trail, parts of the Florida Trail, the Foothills Trail, the Pinhoti Trail and the Wild Azalea Trail.) The Black Creek Trail sounds pretty good and is 41 miles long.

He has too much info for me to try to put it here, but he does mention Black Creek Canoe Rental in Brooklyn: "Another upside is a local shuttle service for one-way hikers. Black Creek Canoe Rental not only rents canoes and offers shuttle services for Black Creek paddlers, they also serve hikers and backpackers who want to hike a portion of the trail or tackle it from end to end. I have used their service and highly recommend them." he also goes on to mention: "The only real downside for hikers is Camp Shelby, a nearby military installation that occasionally explodes bombs, breaking the area's solitude."

My guess is that Black Creek Canoe Rental in Brooklyn ( http://www.blackcreekcanoe.com/ ) could fix you up with maps and such?

Youngblood

I don't know if I'll get any more time to check it out on this trip. I will look into that though. Another thing is Wiggins, MS is supposed to be where the regional HQ is for that sector and where you are supposed to be able to get maps, it is about 30 minutes south of here,and that may also be a trip worth making.

Exploding bombs can make me feel at home under the right conditions :eek:

viciousernest
02-05-2008, 13:59
Is there any updated info on the state of the Black Creek trail post-Katrina? The Park service tells me it's closed except for an 8mile stretch but I'm skeptical of its real condition. I'd love any info. Thanks!

Mountain Dog
02-28-2008, 19:59
I tried to hike it after K. NO WAY at that time. I drove around till I found a section that looked doable, WRONG. I spent the day literally more off the ground than on it. Imagine trees down and trees laying over the trunks and then add another tree coming down at another angle. I camped based on finding cleared ground where a tent could be errected, nothing else. I camped on sand beside the river and there was precious little room there. I'd definately not plan to find the trail, much less hike it, unless I was assured the section had been cleared since K.

SMSP
11-01-2009, 03:00
I live in Harrison County and I have not hiked the Black Creek Trail yet, but have been gathering information on it. I have hiked and overnighted on the Tuxachanie. The ranger office in Wiggins is on the Southwest corner of Hwy. 49 and Hwy. 26 interchange. They have a basic 8.5 X 11 paper maps for free with the trails updated for Black Creek and Tuxachanie.

Tuxachanie Info.: They also have fold out maps for the Tux, but the Tux is so easy to follow, the fold out map isnt necessary. The Tux fold out map will not be updated since Katrina. The changes to the Tux include a short re-route at the begining. Again, the Tux is very easy to follow. The sheet map is sufficient. I took the free sheet map and had it laminated. Also, the Tux used to have two portions between Airey Lake and the POW Camp. The longer portion will not be repaired according to the ranger office.

Black Creek Trail Info.: According to the Ranger office, the entire trail is open with the exception of the Wilderness area. Because the Wilderness area is a protected area, it has to repaired by hand, no machines. The ranger office indicated that there is a contractor working on the Wilderness area. The free sheet map has the updated reroutes for the trail that is open. During the repair after Katrina, the trail was relocated closer to Black Creek. The current fold-out map is available, but is all old info. Once the Wilderness area is done, then a new fold-out map will be made with current infomation. They related a new fold-out map could not be done until the trail within the Wilderness is complete b/c there will be some re-routing done there as well. So, what you end of with is a short section South of the Wilderness area, and then the rest North of the Wilderness area.

DeSoto Ranger Station in Wiggins #: 601-928-4422.
They will mail the maps, not sure of the fee. I got mine when passing thru awhile back.

SMSP

bpitt
11-01-2009, 20:06
I've hiked it. Yes, they'll tell you the wilderness section is still closed, but we hiked it anyway. It's been cleared since Katrina, FINALLY, but they haven't gotten all the white diamonds up, but you can tell where the trail goes. They've been working on this trail for a while now. It's not a difficult trail. The Tux futher south is nice as well, but no hills. The Black Creek trail has a few hills mainly towards the end, as previously mentioned. I myself live about 10 miles from the trailhead and plan on doing some hiking there this winter.

SMSP
11-01-2009, 21:16
I think you may be th fella I bought the Kelty external from???

I recently bought an REI Flash 65 and am looking at putting it to use soon.

Either way, I want to start doing some stuff on the Black Creek Trail in the next month or so. Did you all encounter any workers on the Wilderness area? How far did you all go? Day hike? Overnight?

Since the Wildereness section is doable, then the entire trail can be done, that sounds promising. I am guessing the mileage thru the Wilderness are is about 5-6 miles. Did you all GPS it by chance or by some other method?

Thanks for the update - SMSP

bpitt
11-02-2009, 10:26
It wasn't me who sold you a pack.

I hike with another guy and sometimes my oldest daughter. We've been calling the Forest service since after Katrina about getting the trail open/cleared.

The last time I talked to them, the lady on the phone told me that the wilderness section was not 'open', though, it had been 'cleared'. They still had to put up some of those white diamond trail markers and had a bridge or two to fix. However, she let it slip that if I hiked in noone would probably say anything, as it is public land, etc.

I haven't used a GPS on it, as it's fairly easy to tell where the trail is. I do have one of the older maps, but look forward to one of the new ones when they come out. I haven't overnighted on the trail yet, we've just done 'sections'. I do think, however, that one could do the whole trail in a two/three days.

I too, plan on hiking on it soon, as the weather has finally gotten better. I have to work this coming Saturday, or I'd hit it then. I'll let you know when we go, etc. Maybe you could meet us and we'll all go.

I see you've hiked in the Smokies. My hiking buddy and I just did the entire Smokies section at the end of September, was awesome. I've done most of the Georgia section, and he's done all of Georgia and most of N.C. now.

CajunHiker
11-02-2009, 11:02
My son's scout troop hike the Tuxachanie two weekends ago. The younger scouts did the 5 mile trailhead to Airey Lake and the older boys started at Airey and went to POW Lake. I did the TH to Airey Lake, trail was well marked and wet areas had foot bridges. I didn't hear of any trail issues on the Airey to POW section.

SMSP
11-03-2009, 00:39
Yeah, the Tux is a great trail to enjoy as an adult and to introduce kids to the world hiking and such. I have a little one and look forward to her getting out there in a few more years.

SMSP

SMSP
08-19-2010, 09:12
I contacted the Ranger Office in Wiggins the other day. They have new maps of The Black Creek Hiking Trail. Basically, the only difference between the new one and old one is that the route in the Wilderness Section has been update and this section alone is 10.8 miles. They offerred to mail me the new map free of charge! The new map is printed in color as well. It will get laminated as soon as I receive it.

If anyone is interested is obtaining the new map, contact them at:

De Soto National Forest Ranger Office
654 West Frontage Rd.
Wiggins, MS 39577
601-528-6160

If all goes right, I am planning to hike some of it on Labor Day Weekend, thinking a basic 2 day/1 night from Fairley Bridge Landing to Janice Landing.

SMSP

bpitt
08-23-2010, 21:46
So they did update the map, eh. Cool. I'll get me one. My oldest is still bugging me to take her on the trail. When it cools off, like late October or November, we plan on hiking the whole thing. I figure it will take us three days.

SMSP
08-24-2010, 11:11
I've been putting together some possible itineraires for one night, two night, three night and four night trips. I plan to do some single overnighters, and plan to backpack it end to end at some point.

SMSP

Bear Cables
09-01-2010, 00:57
The last map I got had the Wilderness area closed. Glad to hear it's reopened. I will call for a new map. I want to take a friend of mine on an introductory hike in Oct. Great place to start.

blackwater slim
12-25-2010, 23:22
First post on this site. I thought I would start with an update on the Black Creek Trail through the section that goes through Black Creek Wilderness. I have canoed the Creek several times fron Janice Landing down to Cypress Creek Landing and also down to Fairley Bridge Landing...an awesome experience as well.
We entered the trail on the southeastern end of the wilderness section (about 11:30 am on 12/20/10), off of Melvin Breland Road, and hiked about 3 hours total with a few leisurely stops. Fantastic trail, overly well marked, and beautiful scenery. it was amazing to my buddies and me the work the USFS folks put into clearing the dead trees etc. left from Hurricane Katrina damage (yes 5+ years later). A great job! A humorous scene as an ironic example of government work at its best, included the crossing of a flowing creek with 6 foot banks and no bridge. After a comical, but dry, barely, crossing (not including bare feet), we trudged on down the trail and within 10 minutes came to a nice wooden bridge over a perfectly dry creekbed...Well, anyway, we found a great camp sight on the banks of Black Creek, within sight of a huge sandbar, across the creek and about 40 yards upstream of a small rapids, gurgling water and all.
Watching a full moon rise over the bluff of about 25 feet above the creek was a great site. Was awake to see the lunar eclipse later also, but cloud cover prevented that. The next morning we were up and moving about 9:30 and finished the trek out at Janice landing about 1:00 pm. There were some bluffs as high as 45-50 ft above a side creek the trail meanders around. Overall, some good climbing, surprisingly for south Mississippi. I would like to go back and hike the full trail but if you are looking for a longer dayhike or a one nighter, the Black Creek Trail through the wilderness section would rival most any trail (minus mountains or seacost).
I've done the Juniper Trail in Florida, the Tuxachanie in MS and did Amicallola falls to Neels Gap on the ATback in October. Planning on going back to AT to enter at Neels Gap and make it to NC this spring.

bpitt
12-28-2010, 15:22
Great report.

chili36
01-08-2011, 22:20
Thanks for the report.

SMSP
01-09-2011, 04:01
First post on this site. I thought I would start with an update on the Black Creek Trail through the section that goes through Black Creek Wilderness. I have canoed the Creek several times fron Janice Landing down to Cypress Creek Landing and also down to Fairley Bridge Landing...an awesome experience as well.
We entered the trail on the southeastern end of the wilderness section (about 11:30 am on 12/20/10), off of Melvin Breland Road, and hiked about 3 hours total with a few leisurely stops. Fantastic trail, overly well marked, and beautiful scenery. it was amazing to my buddies and me the work the USFS folks put into clearing the dead trees etc. left from Hurricane Katrina damage (yes 5+ years later). A great job! A humorous scene as an ironic example of government work at its best, included the crossing of a flowing creek with 6 foot banks and no bridge. After a comical, but dry, barely, crossing (not including bare feet), we trudged on down the trail and within 10 minutes came to a nice wooden bridge over a perfectly dry creekbed...Well, anyway, we found a great camp sight on the banks of Black Creek, within sight of a huge sandbar, across the creek and about 40 yards upstream of a small rapids, gurgling water and all.
Watching a full moon rise over the bluff of about 25 feet above the creek was a great site. Was awake to see the lunar eclipse later also, but cloud cover prevented that. The next morning we were up and moving about 9:30 and finished the trek out at Janice landing about 1:00 pm. There were some bluffs as high as 45-50 ft above a side creek the trail meanders around. Overall, some good climbing, surprisingly for south Mississippi. I would like to go back and hike the full trail but if you are looking for a longer dayhike or a one nighter, the Black Creek Trail through the wilderness section would rival most any trail (minus mountains or seacost).
I've done the Juniper Trail in Florida, the Tuxachanie in MS and did Amicallola falls to Neels Gap on the ATback in October. Planning on going back to AT to enter at Neels Gap and make it to NC this spring.

Nice follow-up thanks.

How far down Melvin Breland Rd. does the trail cross it?

Did you all leave a vehicle on this road?

Wow, backpacking just the Wilderness portion for an overnighter would be sweet.

SMSP

chili36
01-09-2011, 11:47
We need to put together a trip for the Black Creek. We are going to Ocala in North Florida in early Feb, so the end of January or mid Feb would work best.

blackwater slim
01-11-2011, 00:18
The trailhead on Melvin breland Rd is about a mile off of Florida Gas Rd. There are some residences on the road not too far from trailhead...seemed it MIGHT be safe. I had a friend shuttle me back from Janice Landing where I left my truck overnight..it made it safely through the night. We hiked one way from melvin breland thru wilderness section to Hwy 29 and walked the road 1/2 mile or so to landing even though there is a parking area at the trailhead on 29.
Itching to go again soon before snake and bug weather returns.
Its great to see interest..Don't really want a herd of folks on trail when I'm out there bu its great that the interest and therefore...hopefully continued comitment to trails and hiking in the area.

SMSP
02-15-2011, 13:24
I'm off from work on Monday, 2/21/2011, I'm looking to do some dayhiking from Fairley Bridge Landing to Melvin Breland Rd. Thats about a 5plus to 6 mile walk in the woods. Anybody interested?

SMSP

blackwater slim
02-17-2011, 14:27
wish I could -weather should be good-enjoy it!

SMSP
03-04-2011, 00:44
Finally, I am getting to experience the Black Creek Hiking Trail (BCHT), the Black Creek (BC), a National Wild and Scenic River and the Black Creek Wilderness (BCW). Basically, they are all one in the same and share a very close existence. The BCW consists of 5,000 plus acres and is federally protected. The BCHT goes through the BCW for 10.8 miles and it’s total length (depending on which source/map one goes by) is between 38-41 miles. The BCHT is a designated National Recreational Trail. Canoeing and kayaking opportunities are abound on the BC, which offers about 41 miles, again, depending on which source/map one refers to.

This trip report consists of the 10.8 miles of the BCHT that traverses through the BCW that offers sporadic views of the BC. Our group consisted of myself and four guys that I regularly train and compete with at a local firearms range. We started from the parking lot of the General Jackson Interpretive Trail, which is just about .5 miles from the Janice Landing on Hwy. 29 in Perry County, just Northeast of Wiggins, MS. The weather forecast was near perfect. The temperature during the day was between 70-75 degrees, no rain, and a nice breeze with some wind gusts. The night temperature never got below 65 degrees. The weather was darn near perfect I tell ya!

So, the plan was to hike in at least half way or more, camp overnight, then hike on to the Melvin-Breland Rd. trailhead to be picked-up by our pre-arranged ride. Any mileage figures will be based from Janice Landing to the South towards Melvin-Breland Rd. The white diamonds (a plastic diamond card) nailed to the trees were our guide and navigational beacon. The terrain was much like the Tuxachanie Trail (TT) in Harrison/Stone Counties. The initial distinguishing difference was that the BCHT was not as wide as the TT, so that was a welcomed change. As we headed further in the BCW, I could feel the remoteness that this trail system offered. There are no mile markers on this trail, but I will refer to ‘mile marks’, being when I marked a waypoint for that mile mark on my GPS from Janice Landing. The BCHT parrelled the BC at a distance, it then turned to follow the Beaver Dam Creek (BDC) and the one mile mark was shortly after the BC and BDC intersected. Just past the one mile mark, there was an obvious side trail that I marked as a waypoint. We did not get to explore this side trail as we had much hiking to do on the BCHT, and I will come back another day to do some day hiking and see where this side trail leads. We already knew that this portion of the BCT would intersect with Hwy. 29 at a bridge. The two mile mark was just before the trail came out to the edge of Hwy. 29. This was an easy crossing as one just walks up to the highway, over the bridge and back down into the trail. On the South side of this bridge is a really nice sign to get the obligatory ‘Kodak moment’, which of course, we all did. So basically, the trail has looped around BDC at this point and is heading toward BC. Post-trip, I see that BCHT comes really close to the Florida Gas Line Rd. just behind a church, but I never saw anything that I could remember while hiking. There was nothing particular about reaching the third mile mark, but that I was really warmed-up and stoked about being in the BCW hiking the BCHT. Just before the fourth mile marker, the trail runs right along the BDC and offers some nice views along with the sounds of the water flowing in BDC. The fifth mile marker was right at where the BDC and the BC intersect and we were able to walk down to the creeks’ edge. Oh yeah, we took a break and enjoyed the scene. Somewhere between the fifth and sixth mile marks was a nice area to camp along the BC. Apparently, some other folks thought so as well. No one was there, but there was a table built out of limbs and a basket built out of vines. One of the guys referred to it out of something the Blair Witch Project. Well, moving on along, somewhere between the sixth and seventh mile marks was a major blow down on the trail that was impassable, or was not worth trying to pass, so we bush whacked around it. Thankfully, Spring had not kicked in yet and the bush whacking was minimal. Just before the seventh mile marker, we started looking for a camp site for the night. There were some nice offerings, but the bluff over BC was very high and would have made it somewhat challenging to obtain water. There was another point where the BCHT came right along the BC, so we hike on. At around eight and half miles, we found a really nice area to camp in. This location was on a high bluff overlooking BC as well, but BC also interested with Mill Creek (MC), which was also easily accessible and MC was our water source for filtering. In addition to this location being a really cool camp site location, someone had already established a fire ring.

Thanks to one of the guys that was with us, he brought two rib-eye steaks marinated in some type of Teriyaki seasoning, four potatoes and some sour cream and butter. So he made a grilling rack out of bamboo and cooked the steaks over the coals. On top of a Mountain House Meal (Beef Stew), each of us had half a rib eye steak and potato, which was a cool way to end the night. The next day was going to be a short hike out for about two miles or so. We were not in a rush to hike out because of the short distance we had to go. So, we were able to take our time in the morning as well. Because I left my GPS on just a little when we arrived at camp the afternoon before, mile maker nine and ten may not be as accurate as the other mile marks I logged. Somewhere between the ninth and tenth mile marks was a huge drainage with no crossing. This drainage was way larger than the other several bridged drainages and it was odd that there was no bridge built over it. It may very well have had a foot bridge over and may have been washed away because there were several large trees cluttered up about 30-40 feet down from it. Thankfully, those cluttered trees ended up in way that they made it possible to cross this drainage. Other wise, this would have been a difficult crossing. The remainder of BCHT at this point became rather wide and I suspect this portion may have been an old forestry road bed, but nonetheless, it was a beautiful wilderness to backpack and hike through. On both ends of the BCW portion, there were large information boards about a tenth of the mile in or so with of course, information about the BCHT and the BCW along with a ‘Visitor’s Registration’ box, which had no slips available to fill out. During this trip, the only people we encounter going the opposite were a large group of Boy Scouts from Covington, LA. I think they were Troop 193 and there were about 20 of them or so. It was nice to see them out and about. During my hikes in the De Soto National Forest, I have seen more Boy Scout Troops from Louisiana (Covington and Mandeville areas) than anywhere else. As a matter of fact, I have yet to see any from Mississippi on the trail. This was a great introduction the BCHT, BC and the BCW for myself. I thoroughly enjoyed it and yes, it was quite a challenge. I am already planning my next outing somewhere along this trail system. Not only was this a great Walk in the Woods, it was a great Night in the Wilderness.

SMSP

blackwater slim
03-05-2011, 19:28
Sounds like you found the same amazing things I found in reverse order. If the rest of the trail is as good as this section, it is as I said before, hard to beat (excepting mountains and/or seashore areas).

WaitingInTheWeeds
03-05-2011, 20:18
I'm glad you enjoyed your hike. I bet those steaks made it even better! You wouldn't happen to know the condition of the trail from Fairley Bridge landing to Melvin-Breland Rd would you? I thought about starting my 3 day hike from Fairly Bridge, hiking as far as I wanted to the first day then camping. On the second day I would hike for half the day, then turn around and hike back and make camp again. Then I would finish back where I started from on the 3rd day (since that is where my car would be).

Sasqwatch
03-17-2011, 10:47
I'm planning to hike Black Creek end to end in May. I haven't done an overnight trip since doing 600+ miles of the AT in 2004 so I'm really looking forward to a few days out in the woods!

WaitingInTheWeeds
03-26-2011, 23:42
I figured instead of starting a new thread, this would be a good place to post about my trip on the Black Creek Hiking Trail last weekend. I was initially going to go for 3 days 2 nights, but I decided to cut it short to 2 days for 2 reasons. One, my pack was waayy too heavy (as I have posted about in other threads) and the pain in my shoulders was excruciating after the 1st day. And two, I over did it a bit on the first day; both typical newbie hiker errors from which I have learned valuable lessons for my upcoming thru of the AT.

I started from the Fairly Bridge Landing campsite near Fairly Bridge Rd. The entire section from here to the Black Creek Wilderness Area is clearly part of an old logging road system considering the width of the trail. The first part of the trail was pretty mundane and mostly flat. After awhile, though, the elevation starts to change, and for someone not used to hiking (and with a heavy pack) it can be quite challenging. After a few PUDS I came to a wide sandbar along the creek where I saw the only people I would see for both days. This was a great spot to have some lunch and try out my new canister stove. I was very happy w/ the speed for cooking; it’s just too bad I'm such a slow eater as I feel like I spent more time here for lunch than I should have.

After this area there are a few more PUDS and then you come to Melvin Breland Rd. Just prior to reaching this road I managed to scare the crap outa myself by almost stepping on a snake that was sunning itself in the middle of the trail. I know they're usually harmless, but I'm still not a fan of them anyway. I backed away and it eventually slithered away. I looked it up when I got home just to see if it was poisonous, but as I figured it wasn't.

When you reach Melvin Breland Rd, you enter the Black Creek Wilderness Area. It is pretty much the same as SMSP posted earlier; fairly flat with some areas that are nicer to hike through than others. The hardest sections seemed to be in swamp areas where everything was overgrown and so there wasn't much to look at aside from a few Armadillos (which was pretty neat b/c I had never seen any live ones before). Plus, there were quite a few downed trees as well, but nothing that required any more than just stepping over them and many of them had been cleared too. I came across the same crossing as SMSP did with the missing bridge, but was able to make my way (carefully) across a using a downed tree. I also used this stream as a water source on my way back through on the second day. I figured this would be as good a time as any to get a drink w/o using the filter or chemicals since I had considered doing that on the AT anyway. It worked out just fine since I didn't get sick or anything. By doing that and listening to advice in these forums, I've lightened my load by ditching the filter for the AT.

At this point I lived up to my self-given trail name Tick-Tock b/c I foolishly decided to keep hiking even though the sun was clearly going down. I thought I would have enough time to make it to where there was a known campsite as listed on the map given to me by the forest service in Wiggins. The problem was that with all the dense growth and the fact that I wasn't really looking at the map every five seconds I sort of lost track of how far I had gone on the trail and didn't realize that I had passed the campsite without ever seeing it. The trail became overgrown again at this point and I was a little worried I might not find a suitable place to camp before the sun went down. I was hoping to find a place along the creek so I would have water in the morning, but as SMSP stated there are several places where the trail meets the creek, but it is too high above it to get down and get any water. I eventually found a place that was "good enough" and set up camp just as the sun was dipping below the horizon. After a night with some really crazy dreams (being alone in the woods will make your mind do weird things), I hiked a little ways further up the trail to see if I could get my bearings. After about 15 minutes I came to where the Beaver Dam Creek meets the Black Creek and knew exactly where I was. I wish I had gotten there the night before b/c there was a camp spot already set up and easy access to the water. Oh well....

The second day was pretty uneventful. As I said I didn't see a single soul until I reached my car back at Fairly Bridge Landing. I was soooo happy to see my car as I couldn't bear the pain in my shoulders and knees anymore. I'm very glad I went on this little excursion. Had this happened to me after stepping on the AT for the first time I might have been more inclined to quit. Even if I convinced myself to continue (which I'm sure I could have), it would have been a very rocky start until I could get to a place to trade out some gear. Now I will be much better prepared for the AT. I know I still have a lot to learn, but I feel more ready than ever.

Sasqwatch
03-27-2011, 00:06
Thanks for the write up! Question about the proximity of the trail to the creek. I'd like to do a bit of swimming on my hike, are there any campsites near the creek?

WaitingInTheWeeds
03-27-2011, 01:20
Thanks for the write up! Question about the proximity of the trail to the creek. I'd like to do a bit of swimming on my hike, are there any campsites near the creek?

Even though the trail follows the path of the creek (generally speaking) it actually doesn't come very close to it except in a few spots. You could camp of course at fairly bridge landing (though I'm not sure about swimming there as I didn't go down near the water). A great spot to camp is on the sandbar that I mentioned which is about 3 miles or so from fairly bridge landing and would also be a good spot to swim. You could also camp at the intersection of beaver dam creek and black creek and maybe swim there too.

As for the rest of the trail; you'd have to ask someone else b/c I do not know.

SMSP
04-08-2011, 01:36
WaitingInTheWeeds - Nice trip report as well. Looks like you hiked about 11-12 miles your first day. I am guessing the campsite the ranger indicated was likely the one we camped at, which was about 2 miles from Melvin-Breland Rd. going North. I have been busy and havent had time to be on WB much. I could have posted the GPS coordinates I logged prior to your trip, I'll attach the file to this post for whom ever interested.

Too bad you didnt have anybody else go with you, a one way trip could have been done. From Beaver Dam Creek and Black Creek to Janice Landing is about 5 miles.

I'll look at my calender and post when I may have some time to do more on Black Creek.

SMSP

SMSP
04-20-2011, 20:53
Looking to do an Overnighter on Black Creek on Sunday (4/24) & Monday (4/25).
Havent chosen a route/section yet. Open to any ideas. Would be willing to do Wilderness section again.

Any takers?

SMSP

chili36
05-22-2011, 19:06
It is a little too hot for me to tackle it until November or December.

Bear Cables
05-31-2011, 22:49
So happy to hear the Black Creek Trail is in such good condition and people are enjoying the hikes. I haven't hiked it since Katrina. We had planned to a couple of years ago but the spring rains had the creek at flood level and over much of the trail. For those who plan to thru hike it, you can arrange a shuttle with Black Creek Canoe Rental in Brooklyn. I might use this trail to introduce my older sister and nieces to backpacking. We always used it as an intro to backpacking trail with our Scouts and Venture Crews.

hikebikemike
08-07-2011, 00:11
Any info on the section above the BCW from Janice to Brooklyn? Planning an out and back next weekend, hiking up and floating back to Janice. I'm a seasoned hiker, but will be my 10 year old boy's first hike and just wondering if there is anything I should be concerned about. I'll put up a report when we get back. Thanks!

hikebikemike
08-17-2011, 22:14
The section from Janice Landing to Brooklyn is pretty rough. The trail is largely overgrown in most sunny places (maybe one-quarter of the trail) with knee to shoulder high grass and LOTS of thorny vines, and there is a 6-8 foot wide water crossing about 2 miles in without a bridge. Parts of the trail are quite nice, though. There is a nice sandbar side trail about five miles in, and another off a gravel road about 10 miles in, both of which we camped at. There are others too, of course. Our pace was slow, covering just over a mile an hour, mostly due to high grass and heat. We only came across one small cottonmouth at a small creek crossing, which slowed us down even more as we trudged hesitantly through the tall grass at my son's request :rolleyes:

The last mile or two before exiting out onto the road gets a bit hilly, by our flatland standards anyway, but was a nice hike for me coming off of the AT a couple months ago.

Brandon at Black Creek Canoe Rental said the last time he heard the trail was bush-hogged was in the spring, and it showed.

We got lucky and caught some rain which cooled us down and raised the river level by about a foot which helped our float back down. We camped at the sandbar just downstream from Moody's Landing and it is high and nice, with sugar sand up top and gravel at the bottom. Not sure if it s accessible by trail as we didn't notice as we hiked.

We enjoyed our hike/paddle and will be back to do it again, and some fishing, in the spring when its cooler!

SMSP
08-26-2011, 00:07
Thanks for the follow-up report. I've yet to hike that section. The pattern of mowing the trail in the Spring and nothing in between seems to be the way DeSoto does it, which has been the pattern on the Tuxachainie Trail as well, which is part of the DeSoto system. I hike the Tux Labor Day 2010 and it was overgrown and then the following Spring, it was nice and groomed widely.

Any GPS coordinates on above mentioned highlights?

Was that water crossing a wet one? Or, were there any logs to walk on over it?

Did you find the trail hard to pick-up at Hwy. 49?
I saw some clear cutting in that area right where the trail crosses Hwy. 49.

Thanks for the update!

SMSP

hikebikemike
08-30-2011, 16:31
No GPS, unfortunately. The water crossing was knee deep for me, and intimidating for my son. I helped him gather his courage and he made it though. There were a few logs, but unsteady, and a small fallen tree made it a little challenging. No real problem though.

We didn't cross 49, as the trail spits you out onto a FS road which we followed to Pete Anderson Loop and ultimately to Ashe Nursery Road which took us into Brooklyn. My son had had enough of the trail so we followed the road, even though the trail paralleled it for a small chunk after you turn on to P A Loop.

blackwater slim
09-18-2011, 20:41
Left hwy 29 parking lot at 12:30 pm yesterday 9/17/11. Hike aprox. 5 miles in by about 4:15 pm. Included a short swim in Black Creek on the way. We had a little bit of Fallish weather the past two weeks or so. It was gone. The temps rose above 90 as we hiked in. It did drop down to about 68 or so at night but the humidity was up so didn't feel that "Fall feel"...It is, still technically summer in south Mississsippi. Anyway, as the reports above say the grass and weeds are knee to shoulder high in most of the distance we hiked. There were some areas covered in leaves that were really nice. There was also an area where walking in knee deep water for 15-20 yards plus another area with a stream too wide to hop across with no bridge or big log did require some wading. Yes gore-tex lined hiking boots, when flooded, don't let water out, just as well as they don't let water in...so a stop to drain boots and squeeze socks was necessary. (On the way out I tried the "step into the trash bag to prevent water in the boots" trick...In spite of a few small holes worn in the bags as I walked it did the trick. Some water but not much, as I didn't have to drain my boots as I had before)
The damage from Hurricane Katrina is still evident in the dead trees and the subsequent undergrowth throughout the forest. Also, the more recent evidence of tropical storm Lee was amazing. Ten to twenty inches of rain left dirt, from the areas flooded, all over the leaves and grass where it flooded. It would be scary to have been out in the woods when that happened as there were many places we walked through that the water had been 10 and even 15 feet deep in those places. Back to the grass...always, in warm weather, in this part of the world leads to thoughts of snakes. Well, we found some...two black racers spotted along the trail without stepping over them. Two venemous (one cottonmouth about a foot long, and one copperhead or about a foot and a half long) were discovered by me. I was walking behind both of my hiking buddies on the first and behind one of them when seeing the second snake. Both times, I saw the snake across the footpath (in the grass) between my feet as I stepped over them. Scary..however dangerous it could have been had I stepped on them, or not,...re-affirmed at least a little, that they are shy and more scared of us than we are of them. No, I'm not sure I "really" believe that either. Whew!! I will probably at least try on some snake boots the next time I go to a sporting goods store.
The mosquitoes were the biggest nuisance...and they were bad for the most part. Big ones...would cover a dime if they landed on it. So, as I type this I have several bites. I had a small pump spray bottle of bug spray, never expecting to need it...remember we've had some cool weather. By the time I shared it, we all (three of us) had enough to keep us from being carried away by the squadren of them...barely.
Approximately 5 miles in we found a nice, somewhat established area to camp, high on a bluff above the creek. We were able to get down the bank and swim Saturday evening.
We saw two kayakers going down Saturday about 5:00 pm and that was the only folks we saw the whole trip. We started hiking out about 8:30 am today and were out about 11:15 as we only took a couple of quick water breaks on the way out.
All in all, a good trip, but it was hot, mosuitoes were bad and the grass on the trail was a nuisance. It seemed as if the USFS may be trying to re-route the trail around some low areas, but we followed the diamond blazes and got what we got.
We hope to thru-hike the BCT this winter!!!...when there are no mosquitoes, snakes and hopefully the grass has died and gone.

rowe
09-20-2011, 16:49
Thanks for the info, I am looking for a GPS track of the Black Creek Trail, you wouldn't happen to have kept that data from your hike would you? I am making a map. Or if anyone else has any data. When I finish it I'll post it here.

SMSP: I'll ad your way points if that is ok.

http://g.co/maps/n8hn7 (http://g.co/maps/n8hn7)

There is what I have so far, (Mostly the float trip) a work in progress but it is shaping up. I hope I am going to find the extreme upstream part soon; I have it somewhere I think. I do not know if I have a copy of the Cypress to Fairly stretch, I may have to make a float trip just to get the data again LOL!

Thanks so much to anyone who would like to add any data,
Rowe

blackwater slim
09-26-2011, 21:16
sorry rowe, I don't do the gps and all that....I try the regular old map and follow the blazes. I wish the maps for the black creek trail would show a little more detail..its hard to tell exactly where you are with what they provide. More power to you on your pursuits!

WHITEFOX
12-28-2011, 21:51
Is anyone available and willing to do a little work (one day at a time) in clearing some of the overgrowth in the Wilderness section of The Black Creek Trail in Mississippi?

bpitt
12-30-2011, 12:26
Is anyone available and willing to do a little work (one day at a time) in clearing some of the overgrowth in the Wilderness section of The Black Creek Trail in Mississippi?

I'm willing to do some work sometime. I was thinking of getting a volunteer group together or something. The trail could be a really nice place if it was given just a little attention. I was just on the trail a couple of days ago. Did a short morning hike with the oldest daughter. We started just outside Brooklyn and did an out and back.

I was on a portion of the Wilderness section back in the spring and it needed work then. I did note the other day that the Forest Service had been doing some bush-hogging on the sections outside of the Wilderness area. Some of the erosion pole thingy's, not sure what they're called, are also missing and some had been pulled up by the tractor. There also needs to be some bridges replaced, but I don't know what their timeframe on that is, or even if it's in the 'budget'.

I was thinking of reaching out to the Forest Service and try to get a better feel of what their goal/intentions are, and what kinda money/timeframe they have, and go from there. See if they'd be willing to work with volunteers to speed up the process.

WHITEFOX
12-31-2011, 22:25
I contacted the forest service a couple of months ago, and they said that I could go in with hand tools into the Wilderness Section. So I have been enjoying a few hours hike and trimming from the southern end.
I don't have any time schedule, just trying to enjoy a little R&R doing my favorite pastime, before the climate gets too nasty again sometime in May. (usually).
I hope to go back for a few hours this Monday Jan 2nd.

WHITEFOX
12-31-2011, 22:40
I also hiked and camped this spring along the Black Creek Trail.
On my first overnighter, myself and a friend couldn't find the trail, from the Fairly Bridge Trailhead, so we drove along hwy 29 (i believe) until we found the north enterance of the Black Creek Wilderness.
We hiked for a couple of hours, and lost the trail. So we camped there for the night.
A couple of weeks later, I went to the southern end of the Wilderness Trail, and found it to be in just as bad shape.
The forest service told me that I could go in and using only hand tools, trim the trail.
It is a little work, but very rewarding and theraputic, as if you are a hiker already know.
The Wilderness section is supposed to be about 10 miles, so I don't think that I will make it all this year, but my goal is to either make it to the section that tangents the creek itself, and or
create a couple of nice campsites along the way.
I hope to make it out there this monday jan 2nd.
Thanks for responding.

bpitt
01-05-2012, 10:11
I'm out of town till late next week, but I do plan on visiting the Wilderness Section then. Like you said, by May it's way too hot. I've got axe, hatchet, kaiser blade, and small hand saw. I'll see what I can do with that.

WHITEFOX
01-08-2012, 13:14
I worked on the southern end of the trail last week 1-2-2012.
When it was time for me to leave, I decided to pack up, and hike deeper into the trail to see just what lay ahead for me.
Within about 100 ft the trail opened beautifully, and looks like it would need very little maintanence.
Very pleased with this developement.
I hiket to a deep creek with a small waterfall, with no bridge so I don't know what lies ahead of that.
I can't make it this weekend 1-6-2012, but will try to go back next saturday weather depending, and maybe finish that 100 ft or so, and hike
beyond that creek to access just how far it is negotiatable.
As I stated before, I hiked it from the upper end and lost the trail somewhere and came to a road.

WHITEFOX
01-11-2012, 22:36
I plan on working on clearing the last few feet of the southern end of the entrance to Black Creek Wilderness this saturday. 1-14-2012.
I will be wearing my hunter orange pack cover and cap. If any of you are using the trail this season, be sure to wear your hunter orange.
Walmart sells a vest and cap, and I bought a pack cover from Bass Pro Shop very reasonably, I believe about $7.50.

WHITEFOX
01-15-2012, 21:40
I finished trimming the south end of the Black Creek Wilderness section.
When I came to that deep creek, I found a tree off to the right, spanning the creek. There was much growth around the tree, but I
was able to cut it away and walk across to the other side.
Once on the other side I continued, and found the trail needing "some" grooming, but not as bad as I had encountered at the beginning.
My goal was to make it to the Black Creek, and within about 30 minits I was talking to 3 campers/hikers at a campsite which over looked the creek.
I enjoyed speaking to them at length, and since I had made my goal for the day, I walked back to the trail head parking where we were both parked.
My next goal is to hike back to that area, and scout the creek for more good campsites right above or on the creek.
I am working my way to a thru hike of the Black Creek Wilderness.
I am a little confused about the true length, as the map that I have claims that it is 10 miles, but the area that I made it to today "above the creek" as shown on the map
is about 5 miles.
I know that I had not hiked 5 miles.
It was a beautiful day for a hike and that is all that counts.

bpitt
01-15-2012, 23:53
I have found the mileage on the small map they hand out at the rangers station to be 'off' a fair bit. I have a full size map of the whole trail I purchased several years ago. But, I've been told they are planning on a new map since the trail has changed some since Katrina. I plan on being in the Wilderness area this week some as I'm off and wish to do some exploring down that way. I'll tote my machete and axe.

blackwater slim
01-16-2012, 11:06
My two hiking buddies and I got a shuttle from Black Creek Canoe in Brooklyn and were on the trail by 2:00 pm on 1/13. We went 7-8 or so miles that afternoon, stopping about halfway between road 316 and the non-numbered forest service rd. We used the maps from Johnny Malloys book on Long trails of the Southeast even though it is somewhat out of date. It is better than the confusing printout "map" the usfs gave me. We hiked 20 miles (longest one day total for any of the 3 of us) on 1/14, stopping in the wilderness section giving us about 14 to finish up on 1/15. We were hiking by 6:30 to 7 AM those two days. We stopped by dark around 6 PM on 1/13 and hiked an hour or so into dark and stopped about 7 PM on 1/14. We made it out at Fairley Bridge landing about 4:25 PM on 1/15. That will give you a little bit of the time line and now I will try to give a description.
If you read my posting from back in September, I mentioned the high grass, snakes and mosquitoes. Well, find the perfect, cloudless, cool weekend in January like we just had, combine that with the fact that the trail has recently been mowed and the trail condition couldn't have been any closer to perfect. It is almost like walking a golf course at times. The trail is mowed about 12 feet wide most of the length of the trail which makes it a little less primative, but better than the aforementioned grass, snakes and mosquitoes. I would advise not setting your tent up at night in the middle of the trail either as based on the tracks the trail is a super highway for deer and hogs. They might run through your tent. The wilderness section is much closer to what a wilderness trail would be, but all in all in very good shape itself.
The trail leaves Big Creek landing skirting along the creek with great views and about 2 and 1/2 mile without any road crossings. There were no creek crosssings (the entire length) that were not negotiable either as it was dry this time of year. As I mentioned in my previous entry the entire length of this trail could be a very scary, dangerous place in a high rainfall event. After the first 3 miles or so the trail crosses 4 or 5 roads including hwy 49, a railroad track, and the trail has about a half mile walk along a driveway/road, a gas pipeline and would be hard to find a place to camp through here, without being very close to a road. Even the place we found to camp which was on a high ridge in hardwoods, was not secluded enough to get away from the noisy traffic of hwy 49 (even though otherwise it was secluded). After walking in temps in the 50's, temps this first night dropped to about 24 degrees. We saw one white tail deer that afternoon and heard several coyotes during the night.
Walking in sub-freezing temps by 7:00 AM we crossed the high point of 270 ft of elevation (according to the Malloy book) and dropped in to a lower flat area of mixed hardwoods and pines (which is most of the forest along the trail), where we came to about a gravel road walk of a little less than a mile. We then walked parallel to the creek stopping for a 10:00 am breakfast on a sand bar in the creek. Shortly after walking the trail again along the creek bank we ran into the first person we had seed on the trail (a man from Baton Rouge who was doing a combo canoe hike, I think, he said).
One of the surprising things about this trail is the hill climbs which we reached about mile 10 the the 2nd day of our trip. The few areas of elevation on this trail areas a bit surprising. After climbing some hills and crossing a couple of forest service roads, we entered a magnolia grove and shortly came by a cypress swamp. We then reached the point along the creek bank where we had camped back in Sept. The sand bar that was across the creek which we swam across to and walked along was completely gone. The creek is ever changing. At this point we are about half way along the length of the trail. We also then reach the area of the trail that has been re-routed away from the long knee deep water walk that we went through in September. The new route goes along a forest service dirt road for 3/4 of a mile or so (not an official road) and rather un-inspiring, but not through the water. We enter the wilderness section at hwy 29 at Janice about 5 pm om Sat the 14th. We had also done this section from the east and were somewhat familiar and planned to walk at least a mile in. There are some great areas with high bluffs above the side creek but not many great campsites through here. We continued on with the headlamps until we reached the hwy 29 bridgewalk. The only real negative experience on our trip was here in that we didn't realize the trailhead for the continuance of the trai was tucked up under the bridge and walked about a half mile up the hwy looking for the entrance before back tracking and finding it...Not marked well for finding in the dark.
We walked on until we were probably a half mile past the trail leading to what used to be Andrews Chapel but which is now a bar. We found a tight campsite (for our 3 tents), and we could hear some cars but it was nice enough. We heard what we thought may have been a bob-cat during the night but don't know for sure, and some coyotes again as well.
The last days trek was the best, I think, as we were in the wilderness section where we saw a couple of groups of 4 men camping and hiking and a family of 4 out for a day hike. The only negative to the wilderness section was around the Black branch area and the cypress swamp area there were several trees blown down across the trail which required some scrambling over, under and around (effects of Hurricane Katrina still evident). Once across Black branch heading eastward on trail this is the best area for campsites as it is high, flat, hardwood areas. (Like the AT and other trails you can find a suitable campsiste with in a mile or so from any point on the trail). I saw where some of the previous posts mentioned some work they had done and it was noticable. It is greatly appreciated.
Crossing Mill Creek was really no problem if you go up stream about 20 feet and find the log bridge. Leaving the wilderness section and hitting the final 7 miles of the trail is back into the mowed, wide area of the trail and some surprising hills, open areas crossing gas lines, and back to parallel the creek (where we had lunch), a side trail mowed out to reach the sand bar and the last view of the creek before fairley bridge landing and the best hill section on the trail.
If planning to do the AT or some other mountain trail this is your training area. On either side of FR 318B (Malloys book again) you can find climbs to rival climbs in the mountains. You probably would have to see them to believe it but the climbs are there. We saw a couple of wild turkeys in this stretch of the trail and one man out dayhiking from Lucedale.
This was a great experience and a truly great trail with in the condition it was in and with the cool weather. It actually got up to 72 degrees and I thought we might see a snake on the trail, but didn't.
I know this is kind of long and rambling but I tried to point out the highlights.
I need to also post our section hike of the AT in NC from October and the snow we got into. Thanks to the usfs and the individuals for keeping the trail up. It was really nice. For anyone in the south MS, LA or AL area wanting a great easy to reach trail in cool weather The Black Creek Trail is a great experience.

bpitt
02-02-2012, 20:02
Wow, nice report!

SMSP
03-23-2012, 22:50
Thanks for the follow-up. That Hills area is called Red Hills and yes, they are challenging. The closet thing we have here to real "ups and downs". I have some good maps I acquired from local ranger office that are scanned in .pdf. They have suggested marked camp sites. These are those big page maps that they use and are more current till they print a new map to the public. I got copies, reduce their size, highlighted the trail in yellow, and highlighted the creek in blue, then laminated them.

SMSP

Wildernesshiker
05-01-2012, 14:49
I represent Wild South www.wildsouth.org here in MS and we would like to help with forest monitoring and trail work in the Black Creek & Leaf wilderness area in MS. We may have an opportunity to get some funding to help. Do you know of a group of volunteers that is familiar with the areas?
Larry

blackwater slim
08-05-2012, 19:40
Has anybody been out lately...even in the heat? Was just wondering about trail conditions hoping for a late August or early September cool spell? In 3 combined trips, kayaked and/or canoed Black Creek between Brooklyn and Fairley Bridge Landing (about 25 miles). Actually spent night Saturday night of Father's Day on the creek...dipped into the 60's. It was great! Check with Black Creek canoe rental if you need a shuttle, hiking or kayaking, either one. They will help you out at a reasonable price.

dafields61
08-17-2012, 16:05
Planning a trip in October from Janice Landing to Brooklyn myself. I am also curious as to the trail conditions on Black Creek? If conditions are bad may postpone until November and go to Bankhead Forest/Sipsey River for a couple day hike.

Adam Chance
10-02-2012, 16:26
Would any of you MS guys be interested in forming a group to section hike the AT?

I'm up in Brandon and would like to start next year.

blackwater slim
01-01-2013, 11:17
Went out into Black Creek Wilderness and did some bushwhacking off trail back in early december. Any body been out lately?

T_Packer
05-09-2013, 16:46
Trip Report -- Wilderness Section -- April 21-22, 2013

I parked at the trailhead on Highway 29. I then crossed the street and started my way into the Wilderness Section. The trail initially goes east, then heads southwest as it follows Beaverdam Creek. After crossing Beaverdam Creek on the road bridge on 29, I followed the trail back up Beaverdam Creek (the trail goes northeast at this point) and then west and southwest along the Black Creek. Unfortunately, I was not able to complete the entire Wilderness Section due to time constraints. I had to turn back somewhere around the Black Branch creek. I backtracked until I found a good place to camp, which overlooked the Black Creek. The next day I followed the trail down Beaverdam Creek to a spot where a fallen tree that transected the creek was. I crawled along the downed tree to get to the other side of the creek, then bushwhacked my way back to the trail on the western side of Beaverdam Creek. That shortcut saved me a lot of time, and I was back to my car about 20 minutes later.

Here are my observations:

The section I was on was generally well-marked. That said, there were a few instances in which I needed to search around to spot the next blaze. I would not recommend night hiking in this area.
The trail is in good condition. There are a few downed trees, but nothing to worry about, and no tall vegetation to deal with (grass, weeds, etc...).
Beaverdam Creek is easily accessible from the trail on its eastern side, and the trail does meet up with the Black Creek as well. I carried all of the water that I needed with me, but it would have be available if I had decided to pack less while hiking.
I did not see another person, and there were no obvious signs of use other than a minimal amount of litter in the vicinity of the trailhead.
The Wilderness Section is very shady. I did not use my sunglasses, and though I did use sunscreen the first day it was not necessary to do so.
I do not recommend using my “shortcut” across Beaverdam Creek unless you are fit and don’t mind a little (or perhaps a lot of) risk. The safe method would be to strip down, hold your pack above your head, and cross the creek. I was in a hurry and I hate getting wet, so I took the adventurous option.
If I make the trip again, I will enter the Wilderness Section somewhere on the western side a travel west to east. I missed the Mill Creek area, which sounds like one of the more interesting features of this section.

T_Packer
06-11-2013, 17:18
Here is a map of the trail.

blackwater slim
06-20-2013, 12:23
[QUOTE=T_Packer;1485279]Here is a map of the trail.[/QUOTE

Try going in off of Melvin Breland Rd. Either way puts you in the prime areas of the trail IMO. Go west into wilderness and into Mill Creek area on down to bluffs over Black Creek. This is an area with some of the best camping spots Going East sends you through the best hardwoods and best hills on the trail.
Kayaked from Janice Landing on Hwy 29 to Fairley Bridge Landing back in last week of May. A great trip every time whether hiking or yacking!

T_Packer
06-21-2013, 22:20
[QUOTE=T_Packer;1485279]Here is a map of the trail.[/QUOTE

Try going in off of Melvin Breland Rd. Either way puts you in the prime areas of the trail IMO. Go west into wilderness and into Mill Creek area on down to bluffs over Black Creek. This is an area with some of the best camping spots Going East sends you through the best hardwoods and best hills on the trail.
Kayaked from Janice Landing on Hwy 29 to Fairley Bridge Landing back in last week of May. A great trip every time whether hiking or yacking!

Thank you for the tip Slim. Do you know if it is legal to leave a car in the area of Melvin Breland over night? If so, then that's probably a better entry point than the trailhead parking lot off of 29 that I've been using. BTW doing the kayak thing sounds fun. I canoed the creek many years ago in college, and it was a great trip.

blackwater slim
06-29-2013, 11:14
Yes T, There is a designated parking area at Melvin Breland Rd trail head. Big enough for 3 or 4 cars.

blackwater slim
08-17-2013, 20:42
I hiked the section between Fairley Bridge Rd and Melvin Breland Rd this morning with two buddys (the Red Hills section), about 10 miles or so round trip. Weather was exceptional for this time of year. We were walking by 6:40 AM and were out at 2:10 PM. Stopped some along the way including a cool dip in Black Creek on the way back to the car. Grass and weeds were pretty high in places but it was passable. A nice trek. Was hot and humid as day went on but nice for this time of year with overcast skies and temps in the 70's to start. Saw 3 black snakes but no poisonous ones. This is the section listed in Backpacker magazine with the best view in Mississippi. Can't argue with that much in the winter with the leaves off the hardwoods but this time of year its beautiful, but no long views.

blackwater slim
10-03-2013, 17:17
Black Creek Trail Overnighter
Yolks and I went out on the Black Creek Trail through theBlack Creek Wilderness section this past Saturday, spent the night and came outSunday. Hitting the trail westward from the parking area on Melvin Breland Rd with milder temps(80’s) and lower humidity, it was a great day to be out. The trail is definitely due for somemaintenance but is still very passable and in decent shape most of theway. Mill Creek was running nice andclear and the crossing over the creek via downed trees (no bridge) is theeasiest it has been since I have been going here. Black Creek was up a couple of feet more thannormal and was running muddy (normally very clear) so apparently, it rainedsomewhere up stream. In the 6 miles into our campsite there are many good campsite selections, the best of which (morethan 1) are actually on a bluff 15-20 feet above Black Creek. The mosquitoes were almost non-existent (afew) but the spiders and their webs were across the trail all the way. Just knock the web out with your trekkingpole and trudge on. Chiggers weredefinitely a part of the lasting portion of the trip as I still have a lot ofevidence of those bites.
There were several blow down’s but none were impassable witha little stepping over or walking around. One surprise that was fortunately not as bad of a surprise as it couldhave been was a HUGE Eastern Diamondback (I assume) Rattlesnake. He was so big he just didn’t blend into thetrail as he was laying length-wise in the trail to the right side. I did seehim and calmly (uncharacteristically regarding snakes) backed away from thestep and a half I was away from his rattle end. I took a couple of pictures that I will try topost though I’m not happy with the quality of the picture. I know it was stupid, but every snake I’veever seen will crawl into the woods if you prod them to. Of course, I shouldmention, I’ve never seen a rattlesnake in the wild. Well,when we tried that with this one, he bowed up. Also picture included, if possible. Well we went around through the woods to get by him and he was stillrattling as we walked on.
Reaching the confluence of Beaverdam Creek and Black Creekwhere the trail turns to follow the former we took a momentary dip in the coldwater. There was clear water running outof Beaverdam and muddy from Black Creek. While we were preparing to move on atroop of Boyscouts came along. We visited a few minutes before they moved on inthe direction from which we came.
We went on maybe another ½ mile and set up camp over thebluff on Beaverdam Creek. Temps were inthe low 60’s and it was a great night and an awesome cool morning. Yolks wastrying out his new Luna tent and I was trying out my new Lightheart Gear Solong6 (plenty of room) for the first time. Ribbons, another hiking acquaintance, walkedin a mile or more from Andrews Chapel and set up her hammock. After a good breakfast Yolks and I partedwith Ribbons with each of us heading back in the direction we had come. Humidity seemed to creep back up as it seemedawfully hot on the trek out. We were outby about 1 PM hoping to get to hit the trail again ASAP.

blackwater slim
10-03-2013, 17:40

Mabfromla
09-15-2014, 08:40
Yesterday, I went out for a day hike in the wilderness area. It was my first time out there and wasn't sure what to expect after reading some info about the Desoto trails being over grown.

I parked at Andrew Jackson and crossed hwy. 29 to pick up the trail. From the moment that I stepped onto the trail I was pleased. The trail looked great. There were a lot of downed trees but nothing that I couldn't step over except one or two that were pretty big. I just went around them.

My only complaint would be that at some points in the trail they needed a few more blazes. For the most part you don't need any blazes at all. You just follow the trail but a few times I found myself wondering do I keep going straight or do I turn. After searching for a few seconds I found a blaze and knew which way to go. Just pay attention.

I followed the trail up to the bridge at Hwy. 29, crossed the bridge and headed onto the trail along Beaverdam Creek. This area was a little over grown but it was manageable. I ended up going in for about 5 miles from where I started. About 10 miles round trip. I set up a little camp, had some lunch, and rested. After I rested I headed back to the car. It was a good day and I was the only person out there. I didn't see anybody at all.

Mabfromla
10-18-2014, 19:47
I did an overnight trip last weekend. I followed the same route as my last trip. I parked at Andrew Jackson, crossed hwy. 29 and hiked about 5 miles in. I found a nice spot by the creek and set up camp. They cleared the trail since last time i was out there. The trees that were down across the trail were cut and the tall tall grass was cut. It was a very nice hike. It was a little cool overnight and the snakes were out the next morning trying to warm up in the sun. I saw three black snakes and one other snake that i think was a copperhead. He was in the middle of the trail and i almost stepped on him.

blackwater slim
11-26-2014, 13:40
yep...looks like a copperhead.

blackwater slim
02-07-2015, 18:57
Hit the trail for a short morning jaunt. Left Fairley Bridge Rd at 6:30 am with the temp at 34 degrees as daylight came. Saw the sun rise on the trail. Went out about 4 or 5 miles by 8:30, turned and walked back and was at my truck by 10. Stopped walking only briefly a few times. Had a snack on the big sand bar on Black Creek. The trail was in the best shape I've seen it in the 4 or 5 years I've been going here. Truly a beautiful day walking in the Steep Red Hill section. A+++ trek all around!!!

Mabfromla
03-02-2015, 09:36
Does anybody know if there is a parking spot east of hwy. 49? I've sectioned hiked the whole trail except the area east of hwy. 49 to around south of where moody's landing is at on the map. Am i correct at thinking that moody's landing is on the north side of black creek? That's what it looks like on the map.

Nodust
03-02-2015, 14:44
Does anybody know if there is a parking spot east of hwy. 49? I've sectioned hiked the whole trail except the area east of hwy. 49 to around south of where moody's landing is at on the map. Am i correct at thinking that moody's landing is on the north side of black creek? That's what it looks like on the map.

I'm not sure about parking near hwy 49.

Moody's Landing is on the north bank of the creek. You could cross the creek there but it would be chest deep. I'm sure if you go up or down stream just a little you could find a easy crossing spot. There is parking at Moody's Landing also.

Mabfromla
03-02-2015, 23:13
I'm not sure about parking near hwy 49.

Moody's Landing is on the north bank of the creek. You could cross the creek there but it would be chest deep. I'm sure if you go up or down stream just a little you could find a easy crossing spot. There is parking at Moody's Landing also.

Nah! I don't think that i'll try that. If i can't find a place to park so that i can hike that section i'll have to do an over nighter.

Tuxhiker
03-02-2015, 23:47
I like to park at the old CCC camp about 1/2 m east of 49. Its right on the trail. If traveling on 49, turn at the sign for Ashe Lake/Nursery. Cross RR tracks. Turn left at dead end. CCC camp will be on your left after short drive.

Mabfromla
03-03-2015, 08:04
I like to park at the old CCC camp about 1/2 m east of 49. Its right on the trail. If traveling on 49, turn at the sign for Ashe Lake/Nursery. Cross RR tracks. Turn left at dead end. CCC camp will be on your left after short drive.

i saw that on the map but wasn't sure if i could park there. I'll give it a shot. Thanks.

Tuxhiker
03-03-2015, 22:51
The Ccc camp is a very good place to park. If you walk towards 49 you can see the foundations of some of the buildings.

Mabfromla
03-08-2015, 13:49
The Ccc camp is a very good place to park. If you walk towards 49 you can see the foundations of some of the buildings.

i went for a hike yesterday and i parked at the ccc. You were right it was a very nice place to park and this is a very nice park of the trail. I found several places to park farther east that i will have to go back and try out. I didn't see anybody the whole day except for a ranger that was surveying the creeks. He said that they wanted to see how much water was in the creeks. At some of the main creeks they plan on putting up signs with the name of the creek. There is a big creek west of hwy 49 that they want to put a bridge over but it will cost about 90,000 because it will be a permanent structure. I know which creek he was talking about and there's now way to jump over it without getting wet. I was lucky enough to find a log whenever i was on that part of the trail.

Tuxhiker
03-25-2015, 18:35
Glad the Ccc parking worked out for you. I hope they can find the money to build that bridge. It was waist deep and cold when I did that section.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Mabfromla
03-26-2015, 21:04
Glad the Ccc parking worked out for you. I hope they can find the money to build that bridge. It was waist deep and cold when I did that section.

With all of the rain that we have been having, I would imagine that it's deeper than that right now. They also need a permanent bridge over Mill Creek in the wilderness area.

Mabfromla
08-26-2015, 07:47
Has anyone been out to the black creek trail recently. I haven't been up there in around four weeks.

Tuxhiker
08-27-2015, 06:50
Not me, but let us know the current trail conditions if you decide to go.

Mabfromla
08-29-2015, 22:21
Tux, i went out to Fairley bridge landing today. As far as trail conditions go, there is no trail. It needs cutting bad. I went ahead and hiked it anyway. Good thing I wore long pants. From the landing to the road the grass was about knee high. After i crossed over the highway it was knee high for about another mile. It wasn't too bad once i reached the area where the hills start. After i reached that area it was off and on. Clear for a little bit and then overgrown. Then clear again. It wasn't ever so bad that i couldn't pass. The worst part was the two miles at the begining. I made a day out of it and went to Melvin Breland rd. and back. There must have been a bad storm go through the area close by melvin breland rd. There were about five trees down across the trail all within the distance of about a mile and they looked like they had fallen recently. They were fairly big trees too. It was a nice hike aside from the tall grass. I should have just went to the wilderness area.

Tuxhiker
08-29-2015, 23:21
Mab,
Thanks for the update! Not surprised about the overgrown conditions. Hopefully they'll clear it soon. They usually clear it in the fall. Hope ticks weren't bad. The Tuxachanie Trail is in pretty good shape. Lots of hikers and trail runners using it today.

Mabfromla
08-31-2015, 08:13
[QUOTE=Tuxhiker;1999203]Mab,
Thanks for the update! Not surprised about the overgrown conditions. Hopefully they'll clear it soon. They usually clear it in the fall. Hope ticks weren't bad. The Tuxachanie Trail is in pretty good shape. Lots of hikers and trail runners using it today.

Yeah i figured that it would be overgrown but i wanted to get out there anyway. I looked back at a previous post that i made last year where i talked about them clearing it and it was dated the second week in Oct. so we probably have about another month before it gets cleared. I did find ticks on me but just on my pants. I find that if i wear long pants and check my legs after i walk through any areas that are overgrown that pretty much takes care of the ticks. I didn't find any on me after i got home. I go to the Tuxachanie trail every now and then when i want to do something quick for the day. I like the bct because there are less people but then you have to worry about trail conditions but if you stick to the wilderness area it's not too bad.

Tuxhiker
09-02-2015, 08:37
Thats been my experience with the ticks too. If i keep them off my legs and dont set my pack down except on sand bars they dont attach. Looking forward to fall weather. Love the section in the Red Hills!

Tuxhiker
09-21-2015, 09:49
Good news - Crews are clearing trails! Saw evidence on Tux Trail last weekend. Haven't been to Black Creek. Hoping its cleared soon!

Nodust
09-28-2015, 23:23
Good news - Crews are clearing trails! Saw evidence on Tux Trail last weekend. Haven't been to Black Creek. Hoping its cleared soon!

Is the Tuxachanie open all the way now. I thought I read a few months ago a part was closed.

Looking to go in two weeks.

Tuxhiker
09-29-2015, 22:30
Nodust,
All parts of tux trail I've been on over last few months were ok. A bridge at 3 1/2 m was out last spring but was replaced. Some logging has been going on around 9 m marker. Maybe it was closed for that. Went thru that area Sat. with no problems. You can call Desota Ranger District in Wiggins for more info. 601-528-6160. Trail seems to be in great shape! May run into you out there.

Mabfromla
09-29-2015, 22:52

Great to hear that they have started clearing the trails. I'll have to make it out there soon. It's been several weeks since i've been to black creek so i don't know if they have started up there yet. i'll take a ride up there in a week or two.

Mabfromla
10-22-2015, 08:00
To the baptist church group from Alabama that visited the Black Creek Wilderness area this past Saturday, i think that it's great that you are bringing those young kids out to teach them about camping/bushcrafting but also teach them about trail etiquette. You don't set your tents and camp fires up right next to the trail. Find a place away from the trail. Whenever i'm walking down the trail i want to enjoy the trail. I don't want to walk through the middle of a camp with 10-15 people in it that are all standing on the trail. There's better places you could have picked.

Tuxhiker
10-02-2016, 22:28
Spoke with Desoto ranger last week. Black Creek Trail has been bushhogged all the way thru except for natural scenic area which has been cleared with swingblades. Hope to check it out next weekend! Tuxachanie still has a 3 m section closed for bridge repair and no info on when it will be ready.

T_Packer
10-03-2016, 09:31
Spoke with Desoto ranger last week. Black Creek Trail has been bushhogged all the way thru except for natural scenic area which has been cleared with swingblades. Hope to check it out next weekend! Tuxachanie still has a 3 m section closed for bridge repair and no info on when it will be ready.

Thanks for the update Tuxhiker.

Mabfromla
10-14-2016, 09:21

I was in the melvin breland rd area last weekend and could tell that workers had been out there. The grass was cut on that pipeline section. They must have used swingblades to do that. Thanks for the update.

Tuxhiker
10-17-2016, 17:48
Finally made it out there to see for myself! Hiked in Red Hills section. The trail was in good shape. No poison ivy or ticks! Very dry conditions.

Tuxhiker
04-30-2018, 20:25
was out last weekend in red hills section. trail in decent shape. poison ivy coming up. some ticks. I used Deet but that didn't discourage them. nice weather!

blackwater slim
06-12-2018, 13:43
Tuxhiker, Glad to see you were able to get out. I haven't been on the BCT since early fall. Hot and muggy now mixed with lightning and floods. Well, it is south Mississippi. Come on October!

blackwater slim
01-20-2019, 17:47
I got out on the Black Creek Trail last Sunday afternoon for a couple hours. Started on the forest service road in the Red Hills Section and walked down past the big sandbar across the pipeline to where the trail parallels the creek and turned around where it crosses the pipeline again. Saw no human tracks (footprints or 4 wheeler) after the first 1/2 mile or so. Trail is in great shape right now.

blackwater slim
01-20-2019, 17:55
Also...here is a 3 part video Me and a buddy did on a thruhike of the Black Creek Trail a while back.
https://youtu.be/VccD-Gz8uE4
https://youtu.be/8-MxA3kGA1s
https://youtu.be/DSfxR0mzSCk

Tuxhiker
06-03-2019, 22:45
Enjoyed your videos Blackwater Slim! Have spent some time in the Red Hills section recently. i enjoy the climbing. Mosquitoes are bad. Bring plenty of Deet. Happy Trails!

Tuxhiker
08-16-2020, 01:06
Anyone been to Black Creek lately? Looking forward to cooler weather so I can enjoy the Red Hills.

Mabfromla
09-27-2020, 21:23
Anyone been to Black Creek lately? Looking forward to cooler weather so I can enjoy the Red Hills.
Not lately. It's probably been March since I've been out there. I been hiking off and on in Alabama and last week I went and did a section on the AT. In a few weeks I have another section on the AT planned. After that I'm sure all of my hiking will be done on the Black Creek till next spring. You been out there any?

Tuxhiker
09-27-2020, 22:59
Not yet. Trying to let the poison ivy die back some. I'm looking forward to the BCT Red Hills section. Meanwhile, I've been enjoying the Tuxachanie Trail. Would prefer to be hiking anywhere in the mountains, but have stayed close to home because of Covid. I'm happy to have access to two good local trails. In a few weeks I will check out the BCT and will post the trail conditions. Enjoy the AT!

Mabfromla
09-28-2020, 19:22
Not yet. Trying to let the poison ivy die back some. I'm looking forward to the BCT Red Hills section. Meanwhile, I've been enjoying the Tuxachanie Trail. Would prefer to be hiking anywhere in the mountains, but have stayed close to home because of Covid. I'm happy to have access to two good local trails. In a few weeks I will check out the BCT and will post the trail conditions. Enjoy the AT!

Thanks. I will. Yes I am also glad that we have two trails fairly close to our area. I really enjoy the BCT and have spent alot of time out there teaching myself about hammock camping, testing out new gear and enjoying the solitude. I'm guessing they probably have cut the trail by now or are about to. It seems like it is usually around this time that they cut it. The Tuxachanie is special to me also because that was the first real trail that I went to. Have they done anything new to it within the last couple of years? I need to get over there and hike on it for old time sake. Enjoy your hike on the red hills section. Look forward to seeing your post about trail conditions.

Tuxhiker
09-28-2020, 20:56
I don't look for them to bushhog anytime soon with budget cuts, but maybe a volunteer will take on the challenge. Boy Scouts have repaired a couple of boardwalks on the Tux Trail; however, there are a couple of bridges out. I don't think the forestry service will allow volunteer groups to build bridges because of the engineering requirements. The bridges were removed because they didn't pass inspection. The last i heard, the forestry dept. had only a skeleton budget. Sad. The trails seem very popular. I hope the BCT trail is in good shape.