Leatherman Micra 1.9
Bic Lighter, small 0.4
Bandana 1.1
Stuff Sack, Mesh 0.6
.................................................. .....13.5.......COOKING
Gossamer Gear ToothBrush 0.1
First Aid 4.8
Camp Soap, 1oz 1.5
.................................................. .....6.3...........MISC.
Polar PUR 3.3
2 12oz Water Bottles 1.2
2.5 ltr Platypus 1.4
.................................................. ......5.9........WATER
Black Diamond Headlamp 4.3
..................................4.3 LIGHT
DRY PACK TOTAL OZ: 131.4
DRY PACK TOTAL POUNDS: 8.2 ..............BASE WEIGHT
Teva Terra Fi, Size 8 21.4
REI Sombrero Hat, Nylon 1.8
REI Sahar Tech Shirt, Size S 9.3
REI Convertible Sahara Pants, Size S 12.3
.................................................. ........44.8 CLOTHES WORN
FOOD @ 1.25 Lbs Per Day for 4 Days 80
Water Average Carried 1.5 L 48
Fuel 1 Oz per day For 8 Days 8
.................................................. ............136........CONSUMABLES
TOTAL OZ: 312.2 TOTAL POUNDS: 19.5 FSO

Chantelle's Gear List
GoLite Race 25.7
Gossamer Gear Pack Liner 1.4
.................................................. ..............27.1.........PACK
WM Highlite, 35F Down Bag 15.4
Stuff Sack 1.2
.................................................. ...............16.6..........SLEEPING
HH Backpacker Ultralite A-sym29.3
Snake Skins 1.4
.......................................30.7....... .......SHELTER
REI Polar Fleece 6.5
Wind Shirt/Rain, Ripstop DWR 6.4
Fleece Hat 1.4
Socks, Wicking 3.1
Gloves, Polyester 1.2
Stuff Sack 0.5
.................................................. ..............19.1...............CLOTHES
Lexan Cups, 2 4.8
Bic Lighter, small 0.4
Bandana 1.1
.................................................. ...............6.3.................COOKING
Gossamer Gear ToothBrush 0.1
Chapstick 0.3
Sun Block, SPF 30+ 1.3
Bug Dope, 1oz 1.3
Survival Kit 4.4
TP and Feminine Products 3.2
Canon Digital ELF 5.8
.................................................. ...............16.2........MISC.
Polar PUR 3.1
2 12oz Water Bottles 1.2
2.5 ltr Platypus 1.4
.......................................5.7........ ..WATER
Black Diamond Headlamp 4.3
.................................................. ...............4.3...........LIGHT

DRY PACK TOTAL OZ: 125.8 DRY PACK TOTAL POUNDS: 7.9 BASE WEIGHT

Teva Terra Fi, Size 6 15.6
REI Ultralite Cap, Nylon 1.8
REI Sierra Long-Sleeve Shirt, Size S 6.7
Columbia Gold Beach Capri Pants 9.8
.................................................. ..................33.8.....CLOTHES WORN
FOOD @ 1 Lbs Per Day for 4 Days 64
Water Average Carried 1.5 L 48
.................................................. ..................112 CONSUMABLES

TOTAL OZ: 271.6 TOTAL POUNDS: 17.0 FSO

Any suggestions welcome. This list is actually for my TRT Thruhike, and so it has more water than an AT Thruhike. I figured I would put this up so I could get some good suggestions. Also, some of the weight will be shifted over to my bag, since my wife is too light to carry 17 lbs. She can but it is not fair.

wentworth
02-20-2005, 08:09
What are you using as insulation for the hammocks? I couldn't see anything listed.... although I am notorious for not reading things thoroughly....

Whistler
02-20-2005, 13:29
As long as we're being picky...

Brasslite Fuel Bottle, 8oz 1.4--Exchange for Platypus .5L Sport or .375L Lil' Nipper, save .7oz
Leatherman Micra 1.9--Exchange for basic Swiss Army, save 1oz.

Gossamer Gear ToothBrush 0.1--Exchange for travel toothbrush, adds a whole .1oz, but you won't have to stick your finger in your mouth. Function wins here for me.
First Aid 4.8, Survival Kit 4.4 --Not sure what you have in here, but it may be a place to do some trimming. Depends on your comfort levels.
Lexan Cups, 2 4.8--I don't use. Potential 4.8oz savings.
Polar PUR 3.1--Aqua Mira is slightly lighter, tastier option, and it could be placed in smaller droppers for 1-2oz savings.
Black Diamond Headlamp 4.3--There are many good headlamps in the 1-2oz range, save 2-3oz.

All my suggestions above yield maybe 8-10oz savings each [without trimming the First Aid/ Survival items]. I'd guesstimate the a cost of about $40-50 if you don't already own the lighter options. I guess it just depends on the money you want to spend. Looks fine though, don't sweat it.

-Mark

erichlf
02-20-2005, 14:33
What are you using as insulation for the hammocks? As of right now I don't have any. I was still trying to figure that one out. One of the reasons why I put the list up.

First Aid 4.8, Survival Kit 4.4 --Not sure what you have in here, but it may be a place to do some trimming. Depends on your comfort levels. I agree, but it was easier to carry the weight than argue with the wife. lol

Lexan Cups, 2 4.8--I don't use. Potential 4.8oz savings. Only have one pan and is not easy for 2 people to eat from same pan. What would we eat from? I was thinking of switching to Kool-Aid mix container.

Polar PUR 3.1--Aqua Mira is slightly lighter, tastier option, and it could be placed in smaller droppers for 1-2oz savings. Polar Pur lasts 3000 gals or so, and is therefore really cheap. Aqua Mira doesn't last that long does it?

Black Diamond Headlamp 4.3--There are many good headlamps in the 1-2oz range, save 2-3oz. Just what I have for now. I bought the 2 sleeping bags and hammocks this season, so now short on cash.

I really would like to get into the SUL range, but I hike with my wife and it is hard to convince her of it. I had to work on getting her convinced of UL. UL was the only option for her, since she is so UL her self. lol

I was messing with her just the other day stating that I was going to start the extreme super ultalite weight revolution. Total weight including food and water 3lbs. Because all you would bring is water bottles and water in the bottles. No clothes, no shoes, no shelter, and no food. Get all your food with your bare hands. Sleep under trees with leaves as your blanket. My wife said how are you going to get food you are a vegetarian. I replied that there are plenty of plants to eat on the East Coast. She is from the desert so...

Thank you whistler for the suggestions. Very helpful.

SGT Rock
02-20-2005, 14:41
As of right now I don't have any. I was still trying to figure that one out. One of the reasons why I put the list up.
How much do you want to spend:D. If you are staying cheap for now, get a 24" wide closed cell blue foam pad at Wal-Mart. They are VERY cheap.

I agree, but it was easier to carry the weight than argue with the wife. lol

Sometimes things get lost;)

Only have one pan and is not easy for 2 people to eat from same pan. What would we eat from? I was thinking of switching to Kool-Aid mix container.

Depending on your strategy, a used margarine bowl may be better.

Polar Pur lasts 3000 gals or so, and is therefore really cheap. Aqua Mira doesn't last that long does it?

It is just a matter of taste and preference. I just use regular old iodine tablets.

Just what I have for now. I bought the 2 sleeping bags and hammocks this season, so now short on cash.

I really would like to get into the SUL range, but I hike with my wife and it is hard to convince her of it. I had to work on getting her convinced of UL. UL was the only option for her, since she is so UL her self. lol
Let her evolve into it on the trail, no sense in forcing the issue. :)

erichlf
02-20-2005, 23:46
Aqua Mira lasts 1/100 of what the polar pure does- 30 gal. And it is the same price- around $10.
Polar Pure seems like the best option.
I also like the taste of polar pure, but that is an individual thing. Also, one can neutralize the flavor by placing vitamin C in with the iodine. So if one has multi0-vitamins one may crush them up and place in ones water. This eliminates the flavor.

schwenkler
02-23-2005, 16:25
Putting chemicals in beautiful mountain spring water is a crime. Unless you are giardia-phobic, you'll end up carrying the Polar Pur and rarely using it. Remember that it weighs more than 3 oz when you keep water in it. Iodine tablets (repackaged from their heavy glass bottle) are the lightest choice. I think you can treat 25 quarts from one bottle, which is more gross iodine treated water than I want to drink in my life.

Also I'm not familiar with REI shirts, but 9 oz for a hiking shirt seems heavy (and hot) to me.

I used a Black Diamond headlamp, I liked it because I nighthiked a lot, but next time I'm going to sleep at night and carry a Photon rip-off light.

I'm curious how you modified the Race. I have one too, and I took off the helmet holder, daisy chain, all those shoulder doodads, and the lid--its about 24 oz now. Any other ways you found to save weight? If you were to pick up a sleeping pad for the hammock, I find it helps the pack ride more comfortably.

Great gear list!

erichlf
02-23-2005, 17:00
Putting chemicals in beautiful mountain spring water is a crime. Unless you are giardia-phobic, you'll end up carrying the Polar Pur and rarely using it. I am a hydrogeologist, so I guess my knowledge of water systems tells me to use something, but I do agree it is a crime.

Also I'm not familiar with REI shirts, but 9 oz for a hiking shirt seems heavy (and hot) to me. This shirt is actually nice and cool. Yes I thought it seemed on the heavy side too, but it is a shirt made specifically for sun protection, and I live in the desert. If someone has a cheap alternative that weighs less let me know.

Smooth03
02-26-2005, 17:26
I prefer aquamira but thats just preference. I will say though that I've heard from various places that iodine is not for long term use(like a through hike) because it messes with your thyroid and can cause fatigue. I'm pretty sure most iodine tablets that you can purchase have them listed as emergency use only. In tiny letters of course. Any comments or more imformative knowledge?

Putting chemicals in beautiful mountain spring water is a crime. Unless you are giardia-phobic, you'll end up carrying the Polar Pur and rarely using it. While I wish I could drink water straight from mother earth, unfortunately some of it isn't pure. Plus, leaving the remnants of giardia up and down the trail is hardly beautiful.

chowhound
03-01-2005, 17:52
Just remember that no water purification scheme is foolproof. I used aqua mira on the Superior Hiking Trail last June and had a raging case of giardia a few days after I got home. I made it a point to be careful and don't remember doing anything wrong, but who knows. After that incident my wife bought me a filter and made me agree to use it.

chowhound

schwenkler
03-02-2005, 19:36
Water isn't the only place to get giardia. You can get it from eating with your hands if they are contaminated (e.g. from another hiker, from contaminated water... use your imagination).

Hikers who worry about getting sick, should IMO carry hand sanitizer instead of, or in addition to, their water treatment. Plus if you don't sanitize your hands after you **** in the woods, you could pass giardia to another hiker just by shaking their hand.