PDA

View Full Version : From Maine back to Georgia?

angel2cdwings
02-19-2005, 10:13
Hello everyone,
I am in the process of planning a thru-hike in March '06 but have not found a lot of information regarding return transportation options. My question is...what is the best way for someone who has completed a thru-hike to return home from the finishing point? I have read that there is no public transportation or airport in the area, so how would one get from point "B" back to point "A"?
Any suggestions on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
:-? angel

Lone Wolf
02-19-2005, 10:17
There is an airport in Bangor, Maine and a bus station too. The bus will get you to Portland or Boston. Check out the Companion or Handbook for more info.

TJ aka Teej
02-19-2005, 10:24
My question is...what is the best way for someone who has completed a thru-hike to return home from the finishing point? I have read that there is no public transportation or airport in the area, so how would one get from point "B" back to point "A"?
Hi Angel,
It's easy to catch a ride out of Baxter back to Millinocket, and then out to Medway's bus stop where you connect down to bus and air hubs in Bangor and Portland. Amtrack also runs south out of Portland. It's good to see you're thinking ahead, but that's all somthing you can worry about much later.
The ATC's ALDHA Thruhiker's Companion is online at www.aldha.org (http://www.aldha.org) for more information.

hiker5
02-19-2005, 10:30
You could always just turn around and start walking again... :sun

The Cheat
02-19-2005, 11:05
Or fly to maine and walk home. :D

angel2cdwings
02-19-2005, 11:37
Thank you for the info...believe me, I have thought about pulling a Gump (yo-yo), but by doing so I would have missed a whole year of my new grandbaby growing up. I have already postponed the trip for a year waiting on the birth (due in August) and have also considered a SOBO trip which is not the way I invision my dream.angel

One Leg
02-19-2005, 15:26
When I was in Maine and had to return home, my wife called a travel agent, which saved us over $125.00. Greyhound wanted $270+ to get me one-way back to Knoxville.........The travel agent got me there for just under $120 starting from Bangor.....It'll cost you in the neighborhood of $21 to get from Millinocket to Bangor ($11 cab fare + $10 for the bus ticket from Medway to Bangor)