PDA

View Full Version : Gear Weight Calculator

veteran
12-10-2002, 13:04
This calculator is a handy way to keep track of total gear weight. You can download it from this site:

http://ibbeson.tripod.com/Gear_Weight_Calculator.htm

chief
12-10-2002, 15:06
hey, i looked at the program and can see where it might be useful, except it's loaded with bugs. at least it shuts itself down gracefully when errors occur (like double clicking on a cell in the table).

i may play with the concept as i don't have a programming project right now. any interest? if not, then excel is your best bet for gear.

Streamweaver
12-10-2002, 20:57
Ive been using this Calculator for well over a year and havnt had a problem one!! What kind of bugs did it have?? Streamweaver

chief
12-10-2002, 21:17
turns out it's not compatible with win2k. looks to be programmed in an old version of delphi or some other borland product.

problems (on my machine with win2k):

double click on gear table - error message and exits - no program should do that - grid problem or programmer did something weird.
save gear file - error message and exits - saves file okay
category column - some lines get lost - grid problem
change print font - nfg

SGT Rock
12-10-2002, 22:21
I had some problems with it too. I use an Excel spreadsheet instead. It is a little easier for me to navigate in than the program ya'll are talking about.

attroll
12-11-2002, 02:50
I have not had any problems with it. I have it running good with Windows XP. I have had it runiing good for over a year now with no problems at all.

chief
12-11-2002, 11:46
wow - i was beginning to think i've lost my mind! no one having errors with this program except rock and me.

tried the thing on 2 other machines - one running winME, the other running win98. still got bugs, only different bugs this time.

to those of you who said you've used the program for a year or more without problems, i have a question.

are you using the version as currently posted on the author's website or a previous version?
i suspect the bugs are related to the version now posted, but can't say for sure because i don't have a older version to test. anyone consider sending me your version? to: [email protected]

sorry for being so anal about this, but one of my former professions was programming and BUGGY programs just piss me off!

chief
12-11-2002, 23:58
on second thought, don't send me the program. gonna write my own.