PDA

View Full Version : South Egremont, MA to Hanover NH

Bad Ass Turtle
02-19-2005, 11:35
Hi all -- I'm planning to do a section this summer (one that I missed in 2001) from South Egremont, MA north to Hanover, NH. I'll be traveling in from Wyoming, and I'm looking for information about airports, train depots, or bus stations near either town. Or possibly someone who lives near there who would be interested in shuttling me? Would love to hear your ideas about getting to and from the trail....

BA Turtle

Lone Wolf
02-19-2005, 11:38
There is bus service in Great Barrington, Mass. which is very close to S. Egremont. It's Bonanza Bus Lines. You could fly into Logan Airport, Boston then catch the bus to the trail.

Jack Tarlin
02-19-2005, 12:33
At the other end, the closest airport other than Boston is in Manchester, NH.
There's Amtrak service in nearby White River Vt (a few miles from Hanover); there's also regular bus service from Hanover to Manchester or Boston. (Call Vermont Transit at 1-800-552-8737).

DebW
02-19-2005, 16:20
There's a chance I could give you a shuttle from Boston to the Berkshires. PM me with your expected dates. A weekend would work best.

Draggin
02-19-2005, 17:17
There is bus service to pittsfield MA. Draggin

Bad Ass Turtle
02-20-2005, 00:09
OK, so it's looking like I can fly into Boston and take the bus to Great Barrington, then hitch to South Egremont and Hwy 41. Then after I hike to Hanover, I can take the bus from there back to Boston and fly away home.

Thanks everyone! DebW, it will probably be middle of July before I'm heading that way. I have to teach a class this summer :(

B A Turtle

Grampie
02-20-2005, 12:25
Bad Ass Turtle, I don't live far from the AT where you want to start. You could fly into Bradley Field, Hartford/Springfield, airport. It's the closest.
I would be willing to pick you up and bring you to the trail. :welcome

Peaks
02-21-2005, 21:17
Alternate air ports closer to Egremont than Boston include Bradley Field north of Hartford, CT and Albany NY Airport. Don't know how to get from there to the AT however.

mooseboy
07-27-2005, 12:40
I just did a 7 day section hike of MA, and met a hiker who had a plane ticket out of Rutland VT. I didn't even know they had a passenger airport! This may not be convenient to Turtle's plans, but I thought I'd throw the info out there for general knowledge.

Footslogger
07-27-2005, 12:48
I just did a 7 day section hike of MA, and met a hiker who had a plane ticket out of Rutland VT. I didn't even know they had a passenger airport! This may not be convenient to Turtle's plans, but I thought I'd throw the info out there for general knowledge.=====================================
Thanks ...I'll pass that along to her next time she calls (probably from Bennington). She and her hiking partner have tentative plans for return flights but at the moment I forget what they are.

'Slogger (better half of BadAss Turtle)