PDA

View Full Version : Who can I buy a pepsi can stove from?

Smile
02-19-2005, 14:39
Who is the best person to get a pepsi can stove from and how much do they cost?

Also want to know how easy/hard it is to find denatured alcohol to use in the stove?

Thanks!

SGT Rock
02-19-2005, 14:44
Anti-Gravity gear sells them, there are a couple of folks on the site that sell on e-bay (just search it) and I sell a stove that isn't exactly a Pepsi can stove.

You can get alcohol pretty easy.

erichlf
02-19-2005, 14:48
Why not make your own. It is really easy to do and may take you 30 mins. Cost is next to nothing.

UCONNMike
02-19-2005, 14:56

Also want to know how easy/hard it is to find denatured alcohol to use in the stove?

Thanks!
you can buy one from me

erichlf
02-19-2005, 18:52
I am not trying to step on anyone's toes here, but I am a firm believer in making it if you have the time. With only 30 mins required to make an alc stove, and only costing maybe $1 to make you really should make one.
Here are some links for you.
http://home.comcast.net/~agmann/stove/Stoves.htm (http://home.comcast.net/%7Eagmann/stove/Stoves.htm) Has a lot of info on alc stoves and many other types. Also, has templates to help out your construction. Very exact methods.
http://www.hikinghq.net/ SGT. Rocks site (good info on almost everything)
http://thru-hiker.com/ A do-it-yourself site and forum.

orangebug
02-19-2005, 18:57
Buying a first one can be a good thing. You learn what it looks like. You learn how it works. You get ideas how it might be "improved."

I like the Antigravity Gear stove a great deal, after watching his neat jigs and techniques for producing solid stoves. I'd like Sgt Rock's if I ever saw one. I like the TinCan Man's stove, that he gave me. I like my very own.

However, this lazy section hiker usually carries a Snowpeak canister stove.

The Hammocker
02-27-2005, 13:21
I think it's better to make your own. It gives you experience.

neo
02-27-2005, 13:25
I make my own several designes,tinman from antigravity gear makes my favorite

i posted a link on online stores on this site:sun neo

hikerjohnd
02-27-2005, 13:50
With only 30 mins required to make an alc stove, and only costing maybe $1 to make you really should make one.
I've seen similar time/cost estimates posted and I find them to be very unrealistic. I am a fairly handy guy, I had a handyman business in Atlanta and still do the odd job or two here in the Savannah area. Even with some skills, the first stove will take far longer than 30 minutes (my first stove took at least 90 mins). Learning how to make the appropriate cuts and holes takes time and practice. Furthermore, the cost estimate is only realistic when making several stoves over time. Deciding to build your own stove requires materials and tools. Yes, you will have some things on hand, but I am willing to bet you won't have everything just sitting in the garage waiting to be your next stove. There will be an initial investment - even a small one. But, until one posseses al the materials and tools, the start-up cost is significantly more than $1.

Buying ones first stove is not a bad idea, if for no other reason than you will have a working model that can be used to test and see if this type of stove is for you. Once that decision is made, then build and tweak to your hearts content!

erichlf
02-27-2005, 13:53
I made my first one in 30 mins. And, depending on which pepsi can stove you make the it should only cost $1. $0.50 per can. The only thing I had to really buy was hardware cloth. Which is $8, but that can be used to make so many other things. Any way that was for a pot stand. One can however use a hanger instead. Also, if insulation is needed, just grab it from your house. You don't need that much.

hikerjohnd
02-27-2005, 14:00
I made my first one in 30 mins. And, depending on which pepsi can stove you make the it should only cost $1. $0.50 per can. The only thing I had to really buy was hardware cloth. Which is $8, but that can be used to make so many other things. Any way that was for a pot stand. One can however use a hanger instead. Also, if insulation is needed, just grab it from your house. You don't need that much.
Exactly my point. I am all in favor of making your own stove. But there will be costs that exceed $1 to get started. If you are unsure if alc is what you want, then spend that $5-$10 on a bought model, experiment with it and then you have a working model to copy...

Lilred
02-27-2005, 14:06
I've seen similar time/cost estimates posted and I find them to be very unrealistic. I am a fairly handy guy, I had a handyman business in Atlanta and still do the odd job or two here in the Savannah area. Even with some skills, the first stove will take far longer than 30 minutes (my first stove took at least 90 mins). Learning how to make the appropriate cuts and holes takes time and practice. Furthermore, the cost estimate is only realistic when making several stoves over time. Deciding to build your own stove requires materials and tools. Yes, you will have some things on hand, but I am willing to bet you won't have everything just sitting in the garage waiting to be your next stove. There will be an initial investment - even a small one. But, until one posseses al the materials and tools, the start-up cost is significantly more than $1.

To make all my stoves, I've used a push pin, measuring tape, small hammer, (but anything that could pound, would do), a pair of scissors and my pocket knife that I take hiking. My only expense was for the heat tape, and it wasn't that much more than a few bucks. Oh, and the alcohol.

I agree about the time, took me a couple of hours to make the first one.

Lumberjack
02-27-2005, 14:15
there are several thread on here for making stoves.

theres always the old standby, grab a round tin of altiods, eat candy, cut fiberglass to fit interior, fill with 1/8 cup alcohol, light..... its not quite as efficient as the pepsi but works well.

Nightwalker
02-27-2005, 17:20

Thanks!
Go to antigravitygear.com and ask for one of his redbull can stoves. Those burn a lot longer with the same alcohol than the pepsi can stoves.

Freeze
02-27-2005, 17:28
Smile,
You can buy from:
antigravity gear (http://www.antigravitygear.com/)
Ebay (http://search.ebay.com/alcohol-stove_Sporting-Goods_W0QQfkrZ1QQfromZR8QQsacatZ382)
Backpacking Light (http://www.backpackinglight.com)

you can learn how to make your own here (http://wings.interfree.it/)

Denatured alcohol is available all over the trail.
You can also use Heet Gas line antifreeze (http://www.midwayautosupply.com/images/heet/ha55120_3X.jpg) (yellow bottle) instead of denatured alcohol. You will find this in almost every gas startion, wallmart, kmart, and automotive stores.

SGT Rock
02-27-2005, 19:07
To make all my stoves, I've used a push pin, measuring tape, small hammer, (but anything that could pound, would do), a pair of scissors and my pocket knife that I take hiking. My only expense was for the heat tape, and it wasn't that much more than a few bucks. Oh, and the alcohol.

I agree about the time, took me a couple of hours to make the first one.

LOL, yes, totally! It took me a long time to make a Cat Stove of all things, I could probably make 10 an hour now. With my Ion stove I can make about 20-25 stoves (just the stove) in an hour. I never thought about the change in things until I read your post.

ThaiChef
03-24-2005, 18:21
Sgt Rock,

How do you cut the holes in your stoves? Do you use a punch or a drill for the 1" hole? What about for the 1/16" holes?

I finished my first Ion stove today. When I tried it out, the flame was only coming out of the 1" hole, not out any of the small holes? I wasn't using a windscreen nor did I have a pan over the stove. Was this the likely problem or are my holes too small?

Thanks,

ThaiChef

SGT Rock
03-24-2005, 18:30
I drill a 3/8" hole then use a chassis cutter to make the 1" center hole. I use a 1/16" drill to make the burner holes.

Without a pot over the stove, the flame will not transition to the outer ring. The back pressure created by the evaporating alcohol inside the flame pushes it out.

Mags
03-24-2005, 18:58
Every year, I do a "Pepsi can stove making night" with the outdoor group I am active with.

First, I do a light weight backpacking demo..the following week do the stove making.

Anyway, it takes ~2hrs for the whole session. Making the stoves, lightning them, etc.

As for tools - they really aren't anything more than what is probably already in your home.

A straight edge razor. A hammer. A small nail. A good pair of scissors. The largest expense are the soda/beer cans. But, you can always raid the recycling bin of just about anywhere you work. Drinking the beer is mor fun, though. :) Find you can dispense with the muffler tape if the fit is tight enough.

YMMV.

J.D.
03-24-2005, 21:45
If you want to buy, I highly suggest Sgt. Rock's ION stove! Bought one and it really weighs that 1/2 ounce and works like a champ!

The "pepsi can", "altoid can", "Dom Johnson's Photon stove", etc. are fairly easy to make. My first try took maybe 45 minutes; but, it didn't work properly - 6 or 7 attempts to "get it right".

*BEFORE* trying to DIY, invest in good protective gloves - OR - lots of band aids...<g>... Sharp bits and edges of metal bit my hnads a few times...<g>...

rcli4
03-25-2005, 00:06
send me your address and I will send you one for free.
Clyde :cool:

squirrel bait
03-25-2005, 04:42
You go Clyde, that is how I got mine. Pay it forward brother. But making one after seeing how they work/look is a good idea Smile. Alcohol is every where and of course, yes you may use EverClear 190 or some bad moonshine. :rolleyes: