PDA

View Full Version : Silnylon source...(15+ yds)

tlbj6142
02-19-2005, 18:36
I need 14-17yrds (not sure how much yet) of silnylon to build a 3-person tarptent-like shelter and floor. I know there is a kite or sailing place online that carries it at a significately less prices than the $5-$10 price per yard you see elsewhere. I seem to have lost the link.

Any ideas?

brian
02-19-2005, 21:53
www.noahlamport.com

If you give them a call, they can give you the stocks of different colors they have. THeir online ordering is not updated color wise, so it is better to give them (Roger Small) a call.

Brian

tlbj6142
02-19-2005, 22:43
Thanks.

That's them. I recognized the front page immediately. In fact, I think you provided the link last time.

brian
02-19-2005, 22:47
No problem. I have baout 800 yards under my belt with NL, and the service is great. Hope the tarptent comes out good!

Brian

Lugnut
02-20-2005, 00:36
Bought mine from AYCE at Thruhiker.com. Great guy and great service.

WhiteMtns
02-20-2005, 09:08
Is the Silnylon they carry the stuff they list under

Drag Chute Fabric
Nylon Ripstop 2nds, Silicone Coated, Zero Porosity (http://www.noahlamport.com/store/search_results.asp?txtsearchParamTxt=&txtsearchParamCat=19&txtsearchParamType=ALL&txtsearchParamMan=ALL&txtsearchParamVen=ALL&txtFromSearch=fromSearch&iLevel=2&subcat=16)

If so...is it the typical 1.1 (1.3) oz or is it a heavier 1.9oz? And why did I not just write them? Funny how reliable this board can be...such that I ask here instead of there.

hungryhowie
02-20-2005, 12:05
www.noahlamport.com

If you give them a call, they can give you the stocks of different colors they have. THeir online ordering is not updated color wise, so it is better to give them (Roger Small) a call.

Brian

Yeah, I definately second that. The one time I tried to order from them it was because of the fabulous listing of colors they had on their website. Unfortunately, I got a call the next day saying they didn't have any of the colors I wanted in stock. Bummer. Definately a place to call ahead of time before ordering.

Oh, and silnylon is listed as zero posterity, the 0-3cfm is 1.1oz before the silicone coating.

-howie

tarbubble
02-20-2005, 21:13
ask them to ship it to you OFF of a bolt - just folded up in a box. i can just pop in and buy it from their warehouse, but others have had theirs shipped to them and lo and behold it was rolled up on a cardboard tube, which made shipping pricier.

Youngblood
02-21-2005, 10:05
ask them to ship it to you OFF of a bolt - just folded up in a box. i can just pop in and buy it from their warehouse, but others have had theirs shipped to them and lo and behold it was rolled up on a cardboard tube, which made shipping pricier.
They charge you about $5 to cut the fabric, so if you get the end of the roll you save a little money there. If you are working with large pieces of fabric (especially silnylon) it is much easier when it is on the full width cardboard tube since it rolls out and stays pretty flat... I have gotten fabric from them that was the end of the roll so that I didn't have to pay the $5 cut fee and it was easier to work with because it would roll out flat. But I work alone on the floor because I don't have a large enough work table, it might not be as much of an issue for two people with a good large work table.

Youngblood

brian
02-21-2005, 10:39
TarBubble: I would reccomend getting it shipped off the bolt unless you are ordering 20 yards or more. Silnylon on the bolt with more than 20 yards makes it so much easier to store and more around, and would be well worth the possible few extra dollars to ship it.

Youngblood: I use a large section of floor to cut silnylon, and then use a table widthwise to cut off the unfinished edges.

The silnylon is around 1.3oz after the coating, so it is the "standard" lightweight silnylon.

Brian

tarbubble
02-21-2005, 14:45
thanks, brian. i've never bought more than 13 yards in one color at a time, so i was unaware of the headache that the end user might get from large quantities off-tube. the things i don't know could fill the Grand Canyon. ;)

brian
02-21-2005, 15:03
Tarbubble- Moving 187 yd bolt of silnylon might get a little messy off the tube, so I choose to keep it on;) Glad I could help

Brian