PDA

View Full Version : Veteran Hikers: Please critique this Gear List

hopefulhiker
02-19-2005, 23:10
Gear List for Springer start March 6,2005
Please critique thoroughly. It will be read and taken seriously.
Some of the weights are just estimates scale not precise enough. It looks like I'll be wearing carrying a base weight of 25 lb. with cell phone. The disposables add another 30 oz or about 2lb so it brings it to 27. Not exactly ultra light but I'm hoping the external frame will help.

Winter List:
Luxurylite pack 35oz
front pack 5 oz
pack cover 4 oz
WM ponderosa sleeping bag 41 oz,
nylon overbag 5 oz
pillow 4 oz
Big Agnes mummy insul air mattress 21oz
Henry Shire Virga tarptent w. 4 titanium stakes 28 oz

pepsi/cat stove w/ wind shield; 1 oz
snow peak cup w/foil lid 3 oz
extra stakes 2 oz
platypus w/ hose 2 oz
purification tablets or chlorine w test strips/ 1 oz
lexon spoon; plastic mixing bowl;soda bottles for oil,water;cozy;zip locks 7 oz

Leki makalu poles 16 oz
Vasque sundowner boots w/ kevlar laces 54 oz or
Nike ACG 32 oz
(2) Thorlo light hiker socks one pair long, one short 5 oz,
compression shorts 3 oz
duofold sleeveless t shirt 2 oz
nylon shorts 5 oz
baseball cap 2 oz
patagonia silk weight layer long undershirt 4 oz
marmot dri clime shirt 10oz
Frog Toggs rain pants&jacket 21 oz
nylon long pants 10 oz
Windstopper gloves 4 oz
Baclava 3 oz

Camp wear
patagonia expediton weight underwear 10oz
patagonia pullover sweater 10 oz
Brawny's insole sandles 2ozdress socks 1oz

Eagle Creek wallet 2oz
2 led lights, 1 oz
Swiss army knife(midnight manager) 2 oz
50 ft of parachute cord 4 oz

Equinox silnylon bags, bear bag and other trash compactor/trash bags 6 oz
cut down pack towel 6 oz
1st Mapdana 2 oz
data book and section map in ziplock 3 oz
compass whistle thermometer 1 oz
emergency blanket 1 oz
repair kit, personal hygiene,ear plugs, medicines, moleskin,vitamins ect 5 ozCrank cellphone charger 3 oz
Cellphone 7 oz

Stuff probably to leave or send home/.... in order of first to drop......
Thermorest chess/backgammon or leather wallet chess set 5 ozWalkman Weather radio/ 1 AAA lithium battery 4 oz
Head lamp w 3 lithium batteries 5 oz
Spydoco 3.5 inch blade sheath knife 5 oz
(On the knife, Anyone have ideas on an executive letter opener? for a cat hole trowel and possible self defense? Only weighs an ounce..??)
CannonDigital Camera w/case & charger 12 oz.. drop for disposable.

When it warms up:
Trying out the Hennesy Hammock 37 oz
Nunatek BCB 20 oz
Silk shirt 3 oz
Silk long johns 3 oz
Nike hiking boots 32 oz

cutman11
02-19-2005, 23:30
nice list. things to consider: rain pants/nylon pants/ exped.wt longjohns -- most would say pick 2 of the three; ?zipoff pants instead of long pants more flexible....depends on your bag rating and its accuracy, perhaps lighter than exped wt top/bottom for camp if your bag rating allows. I like a silk bag liner to extend bag temp range, and can use as oversheetor primary bag in warm weather, with my 30 deg WM megalite opened as blanket, but I sleep warm too. I personally love my sundowner boots but many will say go with the lighter shoes all the way (to misquote: if the boots fit, wear em). I have only hiked the southern 800 mi, but my sundowners stayed DRY. minimal dampness would dry overnight. I used sock liners and socks. With nicwax waterproofer, you can wade in water up to the boot tops and not get inside wet. Most of the ultralighters will probably rate your list a :rolleyes: , but for me, its a :) but not a :jump or a :clap or a :D . I think most will also agree you should dump the stuff you indicated you would send home early, dont even bother to bring in the first place, and also, not bother with the cellphone/battery pack...the reception SUCKS and you can call from phones in townstops to check in if needed.

Footslogger
02-19-2005, 23:50
Hey Hopeful ...here's my initial impression:

-Swap the nylon "overbag" for a silnylon (half the weight and waterproof)
-I wouldn't take the emergency blanket
-You'll be walking a blazed trail so compass/whistle isn't absolutely necessary (personal choice there)
-I wouldn't take the cell phone and charger
-I would keep the small swiss army knife and leave the spyderco knife at home
-I think the expedition weight long johns are overkill, especially since you're only carrying Brawny's 10z innersole campshoes
-Why 2 red lights ?? - one is enough
-?? Pillow ???I would use my clothes bag as a pillow and not take something that only has one purpose
-Why "short" thorlos ?? I suggest you take 2 - 3 pair of high socks (light hikers)
-The FroggTogg jacket is enough; you probably won't use the pants
-I suggest you take a couple bandanas and leave the packtowel at home.

??what are compression shorts ??

Other than that it looks like you've got your bases covered.

'Slogger
AT 2003

hopefulhiker
02-20-2005, 00:31
Thanks slogger and cutman11...

Good advice... I'll drop the emergency blanket and spydoco blade for sure. The executive letter opener is a totally plastic one ounce knife about 6" long all together... Any thoughts on this as a camp too? /trowel/ food stirrer, self defense against rabid dogs??..

I just have the expedition weight bottoms and the silk weight tops.
Also the short Light hiker thorlos are Regular length. I live near the Thorlo Outlet in Statesville, NC and they made these really long socks for Germany. They go up the calf. I thought they sort of function like gaitors or leg protectors when worn with shorts. Then rolled down in hot weather. They would look like those Austrian "Sound of Music" socks though...

The pillow is the Luxury Lite pillow and I know its a luxury. I might send it home. But I'm getting old. Not planning 20 mile days.

Isn't the compass one of the 10 essentials you are supposed to take?

Thanks again for the Input

verber
02-20-2005, 00:36
Lose the pack cover. The LuxuryLite tubes are waterproof.

Lose the nylon overbag. At 28oz your virga has a floor to protect you and your bag should be warm enough without needing an overbag to help... especially with some help from your Micro Puff jacket. Hmm... are you thinking about the overbag to protect your sleeping bag in shelters?

Swap your pillow for a small fleece sack (1oz) that you fill with clothing if you want luxury. Nicer against the face than a nylon stuff sack, but lighter and more compact than your pillow.

what are the extra stakes for?

check our aqua mira rather than purification tablets. Beach isn't a good water treatment.

I wouldn't take a sleeveless base, a silk weight base, and a dry clim (I assume shelled) wind shirt. Especially for the first part of your hike starting in March I would at skip the sleeveless shirt. If it was me, I would start out with a light weight base (I have been using a cheap coolmax long sleeve crew shirt) and I would bring an unlined windshirt. When it got warmer I would switch to a long sleeve supplex shirt to protect against the sun and bugs.

Rather than doing shorts and long pants do nylon pants with zipoff legs. Or, do long pants and bounce your shorts ahead. When the temps are up a bit switch to the shorts. Suprise cold can be buffered using your frogg togg pants and/or your camp base layer.

Expendition base is overkill. Midweight should be find.

I would drop the cell phone / charger. Call from towns.

6oz for a cut down pack towel. If it is really 6oz than it is way bigger than you need.

I would drop the emergency blanket.

I might add a light-weight headlamp like the Petzl Zipka Plus.

I would most likely not take any of the items on your "likely leave at home list".

SGT Rock
02-20-2005, 00:53
Gear List for Springer start March 6,2005
Please critique thoroughly. It will be read and taken seriously.
Some of the weights are just estimates scale not precise enough. It looks like I'll be wearing carrying a base weight of 25 lb. with cell phone. The disposables add another 30 oz or about 2lb so it brings it to 27. Not exactly ultra light but I'm hoping the external frame will help.

Ultralight shouldn't be your goal, comfort and enjoyment should be. Don't overly worry about pack weight, worry about having fun :D

Winter List:
Luxurylite pack 35oz
front pack 5 oz
pack cover 4 oz
WM ponderosa sleeping bag 41 oz,
nylon overbag 5 oz
pillow 4 oz
Big Agnes mummy insul air mattress 21oz
Henry Shire Virga tarptent w. 4 titanium stakes 28 oz

Replace the nylon bag with a sil-nylon one and save more than half that weight while adding a waterproof container for your bag. Think about replacing your cover with liners. Pillow? Comeon! Use your clothing bag :p

pepsi/cat stove w/ wind shield; 1 oz
snow peak cup w/foil lid 3 oz
extra stakes 2 oz
platypus w/ hose 2 oz
purification tablets or chlorine w test strips/ 1 oz
lexon spoon; plastic mixing bowl;soda bottles for oil,water;cozy;zip locks 7 oz

What are the extra stakes for? Chlorine bleach isn't a great purification, look at iodine or chlorine dioxide.

Leki makalu poles 16 oz
Vasque sundowner boots w/ kevlar laces 54 oz or
Nike ACG 32 oz
(2) Thorlo light hiker socks one pair long, one short 5 oz,

Boots or shoes? Lose the boots, wear the shoes.

compression shorts 3 oz
duofold sleeveless t shirt 2 oz
nylon shorts 5 oz
baseball cap 2 oz
patagonia silk weight layer long undershirt 4 oz
marmot dri clime shirt 10oz
Frog Toggs rain pants&jacket 21 oz
nylon long pants 10 oz
Windstopper gloves 4 oz
Baclava 3 oz

lose the long pants and just wear the rain pants when you need long pants

Camp wear
patagonia expediton weight underwear 10oz
patagonia pullover sweater 10 oz
Brawny's insole sandles 2ozdress socks 1oz

Eagle Creek wallet 2oz
2 led lights, 1 oz
Swiss army knife(midnight manager) 2 oz
50 ft of parachute cord 4 oz

If that is real 550 cord you can cut the weight by about 1.5 ounces by pulling the guts out :bse

Equinox silnylon bags, bear bag and other trash compactor/trash bags 6 oz
cut down pack towel 6 oz

6 ounces for a cut down pack towel? WOW, get a hanky sized one and that is all you need. It should weigh about 0.5-1.0 ounces.

1st Mapdana 2 oz
data book and section map in ziplock 3 oz
compass whistle thermometer 1 oz
emergency blanket 1 oz

Keep the compass, loose the blanket, unless the blanket is used as some sort of ground cloth.

repair kit, personal hygiene,ear plugs, medicines, moleskin,vitamins ect 5 ozCrank cellphone charger 3 oz
Cellphone 7 oz

Lose the cell phone and save 10 ounces - almost a pound. Call home from the gaps.

Stuff probably to leave or send home/.... in order of first to drop......
Thermorest chess/backgammon or leather wallet chess set 5 ozWalkman Weather radio/ 1 AAA lithium battery 4 oz
Head lamp w 3 lithium batteries 5 oz
Spydoco 3.5 inch blade sheath knife 5 oz

Drop them before you start and save yourself the hassle.

(On the knife, Anyone have ideas on an executive letter opener? for a cat hole trowel and possible self defense? Only weighs an ounce..??)

It may do all that, but so will a stick. The forrest is full of them. Just pick one up when you need it.

CannonDigital Camera w/case & charger 12 oz.. drop for disposable.

Yes, good idea. And if the disposable gets screwed up it won't make you as mad as when it happens to you nice digital camera.

When it warms up:
Trying out the Hennesy Hammock 37 oz
Nunatek BCB 20 oz
Silk shirt 3 oz
Silk long johns 3 oz
Nike hiking boots 32 oz

minnesotasmith
02-20-2005, 01:21
1) Keep the camera, but consider trying to find one that weighs less. Make it one you can keep clipped to your waist, so you can pull it out quick for unexpected fleeting wildlife opportunities.

2) Add a small plastic funnel and some coffee filters to prefilter your drinking water, so that chemical treatment is both faster and surer.

3) I don't see a point to "drinking while in motion" water storage systems. The hose would IMO often get slimy with algae/bacteria, and I take breaks from walking often enough to drink enough then.

4) Keep the compass. The smaller ones don't weigh squat, are still cheap, and will pay for itself ten times over if you use it even once. Imagine your chagrin at hiking in the wrong direction for miles, or getting a little distance away from the Trail to camp or take a dump, and fog disorients you, so you don't know which way is back, BC you left out a compass to save 0.5 oz...

5) I prefer a larger pack, but still having other gear being lightweight (sleeping bag, tent, cookware, etc.) That way you can go up on food/water when about to cross stretches where one or both are in short supply without taking an avoidable risk.

6) Instead of a baseball cap, get a wide-brimmed boonie hat (like I wear) that extends out several inches in all directions. It'll keep sun/water/bugs off you better.

7) I prefer a single hiking staff to Leki poles. It's cheaper (replaceable for free if you lose it), better for smacking loose dogs that come up to you, and its length in effect adjusts instantly with no effort as needed as you change Trail slope. Too, I move a staff back and forth between hands, so neither hand has to hold anything all the time.

8) I don't see a can of Deep Woods Off bug repellant, nor a face bug net. I carry both.

9) I'd definitely have the headlamp, with extra batteries, and at least one backup light source.

10) NO DUCT TAPE?!? Your middle-of-nowhere gear repairs may be tricky...

11) I'd switch out the pack cover and Frogg Toggs jacket for a Packa.

12) Skip the whistle.

13) Make sure you have tweezers and a GOOD skin lotion (i.e., Eucerin or pure lanolin) or you'll regret it.

14) Consider substituting some disposable plastic spoons for the expensive one. Cheaper, can share, and the better-quality ones are heat-resistant enough to cook with.

15) Get a handful of those little moist towlette packets for convenient no-water handwashing. They're better IMO than a large wet wipes container, since those can dry out if you forget to put the top back on, plus are MUCH smaller/lighter.

16) If you wear glasses, have a spare pair, and Croakies or the like to hold them on. (Lens cleaner and a soft cloth would be handy, too.)

hopefulhiker
02-20-2005, 09:42
Thanks for your responses!!!:
The nylon overbag is just for protecting the expensive sleeping bag in shelters. Any other ideas protection in a shelter? 1 mil plastic?
Carring extra stakes for a pot stand and extra guy outs. (to replace lost one)
Yes it is 550 parachute cord.. but I've never stripped the guts out before.
Going to try it..
Yes, I was wrong on the weight of the pack towel. Probably just use another bandana or two.
I'm wearing the sundowners around now but planning to switch to the Nike's for the trail. Sort of like training my feet with extra weight.
The blanket/sleeping bag is to replace the sleeping bag when it warms
up.
There is a little red LED in the Swiss Army knife for the back up light.

***Everyone thinks the fleece bottoms are overkill. But its still going to be real cold up there. Just Frog Togg pants?? And what do you do just sit in your sleeping bag the whole time??.... A novice question but.......

I am Leaving behind...
The chess set.. 5 oz
The walkman radio 4 oz
The Spydco blade 5 oz
The pillow 4 oz
The digital camera/char 10 oz
The whistle & led light 1 oz
The baseball cap 1 oz
The sleeveless shirt 2 oz
One of the LED flashlights
The nylon shorts 2 2 oz oz

LOOK Saved over 2 POUNDS already!

But I'm Adding:

Wide brimmed water proof hat 4 oz (?)
Duct Tape! 1 oz
Aqua Mira 1 oz
Headlamp ( originally on questionable list) 3 oz (?)
Plastic funnel/filters for water filtration. 1 oz
small alcyhol wipes 1 oz
Added back in about 11 oz.

Going to hold on to the hiking poles.. Trying to help out the knees...
**** Thinking about adding an ACE bandage like Colin Fletcher as a possible knee brace ect. Or should I just Bounce the knee brace just in case...

I'm going to Bounce the nylon shorts.
Also in Bounce Box:
Roll of Duct Tape..... just take off some evey few days.
Extra Coffee filters
Pharmacy... immodium, tylenol, advil, allergy stuff, anti inflamation prescrip,pepto bismal caps,insect repellent, Sore muscle creamhandi wipes, toilet paper, just take out doses for the next few days.. Emergency Dental kit (???)Extra Contacts..

These adjustments have been made Thanks to yawl's observations.. THANKS!
I know my back will appreciate it..

rickb
02-20-2005, 10:15
Moleskin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!

I would also take additional socks. Not needed if you keep your feet dry, but ..... Putting on wet sock first think in the AM isn't much fun. YMMV, NOBO's can always buy more up the Trail, I suppose.

Rick B

But don't forget the Moleskin.

Footslogger
02-20-2005, 10:59
Great job narrowing down your gear/clothing.

I would say that, unless you have an existing knee issue, to put the ACE bandage in your bounce box.

As far as the overbag is concerned ...that's your choice but the shelters aren't that dirty. Most have brooms and although they can get a tad dusty they can be swept out before laying out your gear. If you're going to carry a groundcloth (like Tyvek) you can use that under your mat and sleeping bag and leave the overbag at home.

...and YES, your back and knees will thank you for lightening the load.

'Slogger
AT 2003

SGT Rock
02-20-2005, 11:35
Wide brimmed water proof hat 4 oz (?)
Duct Tape! 1 oz
Aqua Mira 1 oz
Headlamp ( originally on questionable list) 3 oz (?)
Plastic funnel/filters for water filtration. 1 oz
small alcyhol wipes 1 oz
Added back in about 11 oz.

Going to hold on to the hiking poles.. Trying to help out the knees...
**** Thinking about adding an ACE bandage like Colin Fletcher as a possible knee brace ect. Or should I just Bounce the knee brace just in case...

I'm going to Bounce the nylon shorts.
Also in Bounce Box:
Roll of Duct Tape..... just take off some evey few days.
Extra Coffee filters
Pharmacy... immodium, tylenol, advil, allergy stuff, anti inflamation prescrip,pepto bismal caps,insect repellent, Sore muscle creamhandi wipes, toilet paper, just take out doses for the next few days.. Emergency Dental kit (???)Extra Contacts..

Just my non-thru-hiker experience on going light, but sometimes you will add a little weight because you find that your style or your preference dictates you do want something in your pack like a radio, an ace bandage, fleece socks, or whatever. Don't be afraid to add something small and light if you really want it, you can always get rid of it later. For instance I carry a 1.9 ounce radio and a very small ace bandage that weighs about 1 ounce.

I use duct tape instead of moleskin :clap

minnesotasmith
02-20-2005, 23:14
I have several suggestions for you.

1) Use Clorox-brand, NOT generic/off-brand. Quality matters, especially for a use that critical, and that uses such a tiny amount. It would take maybe a buck's worth of bleach to treat ALL your water on a through-hike.

2) Don't get bleach that has fragrance or anything else in it besides just water and a hypochlorite solution. Clorox colors the lables on the bottles of their "bleach with lemon scent" yellow, I believe; get the original blue-labeled ones.

3) Bleach will screw up practically anything it leaks onto (beside glass, ceramics, and the better polymers (plastics)), such as stainless steel and aluminum, not to mention fabrics. For gosh sakes, make sure that the container(s) with bleach are padded, preferably hard to break, do not leak, are in turn placed inside ANOTHER container, and do not hold an excessive volume of bleach (a few milliters is all).

4) Get a proper eyedropper to control volume dispensed. Consider bringing a spare one along.

5) Bleach will take LOTS longer when used to sterilize very cold water. Allow multiples as long for water that starts out and will stay at sub-55 degrees as you do for more tepid water.

erichlf
02-20-2005, 23:56
Wide brimmed water proof hat 4 oz (?) REI has a nice nylon one. It is water proof although it doesn't claim to be. I wore mine in Panama and it was really nice for rain and sun. Weight = 1.8oz size large. Mine is oversized for when my hair grows.

minnesotasmith
02-21-2005, 02:15
Use some Scotchguard or other waterproofing spray, such as the silicone-based one many people use on their leather boots instead of mink oil now.

kncats
02-21-2005, 07:30
Thanks for your responses!!!:
The nylon overbag is just for protecting the expensive sleeping bag in shelters. Any other ideas protection in a shelter? 1 mil plastic?
I think I would be more worried about protecting that Big Agnes insulated air core mattress than the sleeping bag. If you have the 20 inch wide model it's only made of 40 denier material which is why we went with the non-insulated model (70 denier). I was just too worried about holes in the thinner material. We add an 1/8th inch ensolite foam pad from Gossamer Gear for an insulating layer when it's below 40 degrees. It weighs 2 ounces and kept us warm last weekend on a 15 degree night in Shenandoah.

hopefulhiker
02-21-2005, 09:09
One thing I am worried about is Old maps... I got a good deal on ten year old section maps.. Am I going to be kicking myself later??:datz

Yeah I'm still looking for a good hat.. My wife has a Tilly and I used to have one of those OR Research hats.. I like the idea of spraying an old hat.

About the Big Agnes Air mattress... It slips between that silnylon overbag and the sleeping bag.. It adds a little protection and also keeps me on the mattress.

The Weasel
02-21-2005, 13:32
You seem to be a little dependent on your bounce box, which can get expensive in a hurry. Carrying a small amount of duct tape and keeping a full role in your box, for instance, means mailing that sucker - expensively - over and over. Carrying a modest, but not tiny, supply on a trek like a thru hike - maybe 10 feet - isn't going to get you expelled from the Ultralight Society, and then, in a trail town, you can buy a bit more, far more cheaply than mailing it.

The same goes for other items: I tried to keep my box limited to maps/book pages for upcoming sections, medicine, and a few other things.

The Weasel

bulldog49
02-21-2005, 15:26
Some on here have a knee-jerk response to choose shoes over the Sundowners. Not everyone will be comfortable hiking in these. I've used them and my feet hurt like hell hiking in them all day long, even without a pack. I really like my Sundowners and wouldn't trade them for a pair of trail shoes ever. For a few ozs more in weight I get the equevalent of a lb of support. Listen to your feet, not what others may say.

And really, that advise should be followed on selecting any piece of gear. Simply choosing the lightest option isn't always the best choice. A pack that weighs 2 lbs and dosen't fit you or your load isn't better than a 3 lb pack that fits perfectly and has a better suspension.

Nean
02-21-2005, 19:25
unless you are a small child or have a condition, 1\4 to 1\5 of your body wieght is usually a comfortable pack wieght, regardless of what you pack. 27lbs!? I'd take some more stuff if I were you and pick up some of the trash along the way too. Have FUN and good luck

hopefulhiker
02-21-2005, 21:44
This is great advice. I really had not thought about the expense of a bounce box but it could get really high after a while...

One reason that I'm trying to go as light as I can tolerate is that I am overweight to begin with.. About 30lb.... I figure that if I carry a 25 lb pack or so I'm really carrying about 55lb to start out with.. So my reasoning is that when I lose the weight and become stronger then maybe I can add some fun stuff. Although I've always wanted to do this, one of my motivations now includes weight loss..

Nean
02-21-2005, 23:02
good idea not to add more comfort until you get comfortable enough to carry it. Once you do get in good hikin shape, pack wieght becomes less of a factor. The more you hike the less it matters or so i've heard. I try to carry just enough to enjoy myself. As for the Bbox, its cheaper than maildrops from home- which I don't do. I send it to zeroday towns and loved it!

minnesotasmith
02-21-2005, 23:50
"Once you do get in good hiking shape, pack weight becomes less of a factor. The more you hike the less it matters or so i've heard. "

I'm one of those much-maligned hiking types that brings along enough food, water, clothing, and bedding (and a pack large/sturdy enough to carry it) to have a reasonable time and not have to resupply food every couple of days. I've yet to get an answer (asked on another thread) from the fanatic UL crowd on what they do when they can carry only 2 days worth of food on a section of Trail that's 4 days between towns; do they eat food only every other day, or what?:-? :datz :eek:

I'm presuming your point to be correct; I'm now walking at least 5 miles a day 2 out of 3 days right now, just to prepare for my section hike of all of the AT in GA that I'm planning on 2 - 6 weeks from now when I get time off from my work. I will neither starve nor freeze, and will still do a decent pace.

Dances with Mice
02-22-2005, 04:52
And some people don't even know when they're carrying too much stuff.

minnesotasmith has exceeded their stored private messages quota and can not accept further messages until they clear some space.

minnesotasmith
02-22-2005, 05:42
I've deleted PMs down to where I can receive messages.:o
I still think I'm on the right track with wanting a pack that won't rip if I put a couple of gallons of water and a week's worth of food in it, though.

SGT Rock
02-22-2005, 07:58
I've yet to get an answer (asked on another thread) from the fanatic UL crowd on what they do when they can carry only 2 days worth of food on a section of Trail that's 4 days between towns; do they eat food only every other day, or what?:-? :datz :eek:

I must have missed that. I just bring some Cheerios and ration them out to 3 a day. Those things are light :D

hikerjohnd
02-22-2005, 08:22
I still think I'm on the right track with wanting a pack that won't rip if I put a couple of gallons of water and a week's worth of food in it, though.
A couple of gallons???? Do some people actually carry this kind of capacity? I plan to have the ability to carry a gallon (3L bladder and 1L bottle) but I can't imagine carryin 12 lbs of water very often...

minnesotasmith
02-22-2005, 08:48
I routinely would carry 5 quarts of water when I spent a summer day hiking out West a decade or so ago, and drink every bit of it in a 7-hour period. I also cameled-up in the mornings before going out (a quart or more every time), and still drank like crazy in the evenings when back at base camp. I have been carrying a minimum of a gallon of water with me when I hike on the AT in GA. There are places on the AT where water isn't neccessarily available every 3 miles, even in GA. Too, think of carrying food across the Hundred Miles in Maine; even at 15 miles a day, that's still 6 1/2 days. I am also planning on a hike across Alaska from east to west, and maybe doing the PCT. There are some serious gaps between water sources on the latter, and the Alaska hike would have several places of 150 miles between food resupply. (Fortunately, water is not a problem in most of AK.) So, I figure I might as well stay used to bringing plenty of water along.

hopefulhiker
02-22-2005, 09:12
Also what about the idea of carrying a filter so that you can drink water right on the spot if you find it? I've read that some people do this instead of carrying an extra jug of water.....
I'm hoping I can live off some of my own body fat reserves.

MadAussieInLondon
02-22-2005, 14:10
what about if your on the PCT? you need to be able to carry large quantities of water...

MOWGLI
02-22-2005, 14:21
I have been carrying a minimum of a gallon of water with me when I hike on the AT in GA. There are places on the AT where water isn't neccessarily available every 3 miles, even in GA. .... So, I figure I might as well stay used to bringing plenty of water along.

Unless there is a bad drought, there is almost nowhere along the AT where it is necessary to carry more than 2 liters of water - IMO.

My approach is usually to carry only as much water as is necessary. My calculations are usually based upon how the springs & streams are running. To me, there is no reason to walk 6 miles to a water source, and arrive with 2 liters in my pack. That's a long way to haul 4# for nothing.

Of course, peace of mind is important, and not everyone is comfortable with my approach.

MS, by the time you reach NC, you may want to look at altering your approach. The Nantahalas have a way of making a NOBO hiker look at things a bit differently.

The Solemates
02-22-2005, 20:26
Unless there is a bad drought, there is almost nowhere along the AT where it is necessary to carry more than 2 liters of water - IMO.

My approach is usually to carry only as much water as is necessary. My calculations are usually based upon how the springs & streams are running. To me, there is no reason to walk 6 miles to a water source, and arrive with 2 liters in my pack. That's a long way to haul 4# for nothing.

Of course, peace of mind is important, and not everyone is comfortable with my approach.

MS, by the time you reach NC, you may want to look at altering your approach. The Nantahalas have a way of making a NOBO hiker look at things a bit differently.

I never have realized people carry so much water. I never carry more than 1L on the AT, and often I will only carry 0.5L. Of course I dont mind stopping to filter when I get to a good water source so I can camel up, so its a price I pay for going lighter. Generally, I enjoy a 10min break every now and then anyways, so its a win-win to me. I think its easy to go 6 miles, or even 10 miles without drinking as long as you camel up before hand.

minnesotasmith
02-22-2005, 22:33
"MS, by the time you reach NC, you may want to look at altering your approach. The Nantahalas have a way of making a NOBO hiker look at things a bit differently."

I am planning on section hiking the whole AT in GA at one go as soon as I get a break from work (in 2 - 6 weeks). I'll let you know how it went, and what if anything I changed my mind about.

Still, though, I don't think I'm as unreasonable in the amount of water I carry, since I drink the bulk of it. It's not unusual when hiking in hot weather for me to sit down and knock off most of a quart of water at a single break. If I took only 2 quarts of water along on a June hike, I could run out of water inside 2 hours. Water is cheap, a consumable, absolutely essential, and can be discarded at any time without causing an environmental disaster; why not bring more than enough along? It's just not worth getting to my destination for the day 15 minutes early (from having a reduced packload, one that was short of water) at the cost of being thirsty the last 2 hours.

Nightwalker
02-22-2005, 23:00
I am planning on section hiking the whole AT in GA at one go as soon as I get a break from work (in 2 - 6 weeks). I'll let you know how it went, and what if anything I changed my mind about.

Man, you're gonna love GA. It's the best maintained trail I've ever seen. Even the water bars are pretty. :)

Just don't come down the north side of Blood mountain at night. That was pretty awful.

Frank/Nightwalker

MOWGLI
02-22-2005, 23:01
Water is cheap, a consumable, absolutely essential, and can be discarded at any time without causing an environmental disaster; why not bring more than enough along?

Well, the trick is bringing enough. Not "more than enough." That's what I learned on the trail. Of course, the great thing about hiking is you can do it your own way. Personally, I don't like to carry anything that I am not using regularly, and that includes extra water.

minnesotasmith
02-22-2005, 23:30
Within the last year, I've already hiked the Approach Trail twice, gone from Springer to Hawk Mountain and back, hiked around Blood Mountain (all the way from that lake park to the summit) and the whole Freeman Trail, the latter two with Dances with Mice. I'm not entirely unfamiliar with the AT in GA. I found those areas to not be anywhere near as tough to hike as many people I've read their accounts of hiking those areas have repeatedly proclaimed. I may sweat and curse a bit on my section hike, and will no doubt learn some things I'm not expecting, but I don't think I'll find it 10x as rough as I'm expecting or physically prepared for.

Nightwalker
02-22-2005, 23:44
Within the last year, I've already hiked the Approach Trail twice, gone from Springer to Hawk Mountain and back, hiked around Blood Mountain (all the way from that lake park to the summit) and the whole Freeman Trail, the latter two with Dances with Mice. I'm not entirely unfamiliar with the AT in GA. I found those areas to not be anywhere near as tough to hike as many people I've read their accounts of hiking those areas have repeatedly proclaimed. I may sweat and curse a bit on my section hike, and will no doubt learn some things I'm not expecting, but I don't think I'll find it 10x as rough as I'm expecting or physically prepared for.
I wasn't saying anything silly like that. I was saying that I LOVE the Georgia AT.

But never again coming down the north side of Blood at night. Never again...

Drala Hiker
02-25-2005, 21:39
Man, you're gonna love GA. It's the best maintained trail I've ever seen. Even the water bars are pretty. :)

Just don't come down the north side of Blood mountain at night. That was pretty awful.

Frank/NightwalkerNot a problem now. A few solar powered Malibu lights light those stone steps like a full moon. ;)

As for water, as much rain as the southeast is getting this year, lack of water is not going to be one of your problems - too much might be. Carry 3 liters of water at most - that should keep you in your comfort zone (such as a 2-liter platy and a 1-liter soda bottle). Wet years like this one are when we usually get a big March snow (Farmer's Almanac prediction), sometimes even an April one. There will be days on end when your extra pair of socks will not dry out - it's simply too humid/cloudy/foggy at times. That's why you want a pair of dry socks for camp use only.

IMHO keep the whistle - ask anyone who's had some SAR training, or been lost awaiting SAR. An injured person barely breathing can blow a whistle with each breath exhale. My pack's sternam strap has a whistle built into the buckle. Some stores sell just the buckle/whistle for retro-fit purposes.

To sum: Lose some water weight, add 1/4 oz. plastic whistle and a 1/2 oz pair of camp socks.