PDA

View Full Version : Southern terminus to Billie Swamp Safari shuttles to and fro

pafarmboy
08-30-2011, 13:44
I am looking at starting to section the FT the week after Christmas (26th-2nd) and was wondering if anyone knew of any shuttlers to get me back to the Fort Lauderdale airport from the Big Cypress RV campground near Billie's swamp safari?

Not as big a problem, but..... also, does anyone know of a shuttler who would take me as far in as you can go to Loop Road from the airport? Don't really wanna take Alligatoralleyexpress to Oasis and hike south to terminus and then turn north again, but will if no other option.

I have the official shuttler list from the FTA but no shuttlers listed until Lake Okeechobee area. No, can't do the annual Chuck Norris grouping as I need to be back by the 3rd.

Would greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks.

WingedMonkey
08-30-2011, 14:48
A little confusing on your roads, you seemed to have merged Alligator Alley (I-75) and Tamiami Trail (Hwy 41) into the same road.

It's highway 41 where the Oasis ranger station is located and where the Loop Road runs off of to the terminus. And then the Seminole campground as you said off of Alligator Alley/I-75.

While the Ft Lauderdale Airport is closer to the Seminole reservation, Miami airport is closer to Tamiami Trail.

The Everglades Hostel in Homestead/Florida City use to do shuttles from Miami Airport, don't know if they do Ft Lauderdale or even still shuttle.
http://www.evergladeshostel.com/

You might have some luck contacting the local Big Cypress Florida Trail Chapter. Email them for some contacts.
http://www.floridatrail.org/Chapters/South-Chapters1/Big-Cypress.html

Good luck

WingedMonkey
08-30-2011, 15:18
Also:
The Happy Hoofers Chapter of the FTA covers the area in the Seminole reservation and are based in Ft Lauderdale.
http://www.floridatrail.org/Chapters/South-Chapters1/Happy-Hoofers.html

pafarmboy
08-30-2011, 15:32
Thanks for the help. Alligatoralleyexpress is listed in the FT Companion guide as offering service to the Oasis Center, but after your post, dug into it a little more and it appears they are no longer in business. So....now wondering how to get shuttles for both ends of my trip.

Will definitely email the people listed in your links to see if they have any info.

Thanks again.

WingedMonkey
12-17-2011, 14:04
I am looking at starting to section the FT the week after Christmas (26th-2nd) and was wondering if anyone knew of any shuttlers to get me back to the Fort Lauderdale airport from the Big Cypress RV campground near Billie's swamp safari?

Not as big a problem, but..... also, does anyone know of a shuttler who would take me as far in as you can go to Loop Road from the airport? Don't really wanna take Alligatoralleyexpress to Oasis and hike south to terminus and then turn north again, but will if no other option.

I have the official shuttler list from the FTA but no shuttlers listed until Lake Okeechobee area. No, can't do the annual Chuck Norris grouping as I need to be back by the 3rd.

Would greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks.

Is this still on?

pafarmboy
12-17-2011, 17:39
No. I couldn't find anyone who would shuttle me to the terminus since the road is closed. Found someone who will do it as soon as the road is open. They were willing to drop me off at Oasis and I coulda hiked south to terminus and then north again, but this woulda been too close to my time constraints and I didnt wanna fell rushed, so pushed it off til next year. Thanks for the info, Wingedmonkey. It was very useful.

bamboo bob
12-17-2011, 21:28
From Loop road you go through the Big Cypress Swamp to Oasis, then through woods trail to Alligator Alley , there's a rest stop with soda machines, then more woods trail to SEMINOLES , THEN A ROAD WALK TO Billy Swamp , then a road walk to the RV Campground. Unless its new there is no RV campground near the trail head on Alligator Ally. Its a half day beyond that.

WingedMonkey
12-18-2011, 10:10
Thanks for the info, Wingedmonkey. It was very useful.

Ok, cool. I'm thinking of hitting the trail from Lake Okeechobee during the pagan holidays. I can actually catch local buses and shuttles to the lake, something I often take for granted. Was wondering if I might run into any one.