PDA

View Full Version : Woody Gap to Neels Gap

phobos
08-30-2011, 17:18
Question for someone in the know.. i'll be doing a overnighter on Sunday into Monday.. My buddies and I will be hiking from Woody's Gap to Neel's. How's the water situation? I've done this hike before and I remember getting water before the main climp up Blood Mtn. It was more like a seepage at the time.

Other question, We'd like to stop in at Mountain Crossings on Monday, anyone know if they are open on labor day? I know the website says open Mon-sun, Was just curious if anyone knew.

Thanks in advance,

Phobos

phobos
08-30-2011, 17:23
Just noticed a previous thread about water, disregard this part of my topic unless there is updated information :]

Sierra Echo
08-30-2011, 17:24
You might have to hike down to Lake Winfield Scott on the Slaughter Gap trail to get some water. Things
are very dry up there. Or just carry enough for your trip. You aren't going to be gone long and you sure as heck aren't going far.

phobos
08-30-2011, 18:52
Yea I am thinking about just camel'n up.

Renee'
08-31-2011, 06:19
There was pretty good water at Miller Gap a week ago. We did not see any water after that.

Toli
08-31-2011, 11:10
Question for someone in the know.. i'll be doing a overnighter on Sunday into Monday.. My buddies and I will be hiking from Woody's Gap to Neel's. How's the water situation? I've done this hike before and I remember getting water before the main climp up Blood Mtn. It was more like a seepage at the time.

Other question, We'd like to stop in at Mountain Crossings on Monday, anyone know if they are open on labor day? I know the website says open Mon-sun, Was just curious if anyone knew.

Thanks in advance,

Phobos

I live between both those gaps, and it is wicked dry right now... The good news is, its only 11 miles so you should be able to carry enough water for whats considered a "Day" hike... Spoke with Georg(ia) and she told me they are open on Labor Day, regular hours... Have a good hike.:D

Sir-Packs-Alot
08-31-2011, 11:43
Take this advice "phobos" - it's summer dry now out on the Georgia AT - and like our days of drought from a few years ago. Carry the water. For all other hikers - AQUA MIRA, STERI-PENS, OR IODINE TABS WON'T DO YOU A LOT OF GOOD ON THE GEORGIA TRAIL NOW. If you come to a water source that's only a pile of wet leaves - you can always dig a bit of a hollow and filter a little (albeit slowly) - and get by!
I live between both those gaps, and it is wicked dry right now... The good news is, its only 11 miles so you should be able to carry enough water for whats considered a "Day" hike... Spoke with Georg(ia) and she told me they are open on Labor Day, regular hours... Have a good hike.:D

phobos
08-31-2011, 21:59
Thank you very much! I figured the water situation would be bleak, but figured i'd ask anyway.

phobos
08-31-2011, 22:00
Take this advice "phobos" - it's summer dry now out on the Georgia AT - and like our days of drought from a few years ago. Carry the water. For all other hikers - AQUA MIRA, STERI-PENS, OR IODINE TABS WON'T DO YOU A LOT OF GOOD ON THE GEORGIA TRAIL NOW. If you come to a water source that's only a pile of wet leaves - you can always dig a bit of a hollow and filter a little (albeit slowly) - and get by!

I plan too, I also use a Katadyn filter for my water filtration ;]

MuddyWaters
08-31-2011, 23:08
anything you can pick up with a filter you can collect in a ziplock bag and pour in a bottle and treat.