PDA

View Full Version : Peters Mountain to Clark's Ferry

ljcsov
08-30-2011, 18:15
How long is this hike? I wanted to do a day hike in this area. I've been in SGL 211 and on Peters Mountain out the shelter. I was curious as to what is going on on the "other side of the bridge". Any information would be greatly appreciated!

I've done portions of the AT around the Harrisburg area. I am looking to find some other hikes around there since the terrain / challenge of the local state parks is subpar. Thanks!

BadAndy
08-30-2011, 18:57
Without looking at my maps, it's around 7 miles from PA 225 to the Clark's Ferry Bridge. It's an easy hike with most being on top of the ridge, just like you've seen heading to the Peter's Mtn. Shelter. It does get quite a bit rockier with some large boulders after the Clark's Ferry Shelter but I find it a lot of fun. There are multiple great views looking north, south, and across the river towards Duncannon. The blue-blazed (Susquehanna Trail I think?) makes a nice loop or can shorten the section a few miles for you.

ljcsov
08-30-2011, 18:59
Thanks!! Which maps are you looking at? I should probably get the AT section maps for this area.

BadAndy
08-30-2011, 19:11
Thanks!! Which maps are you looking at? I should probably get the AT section maps for this area.

Those are the maps that I have. They're quite good with a lot of side trails marked. Also, of you're always looking for dayhikes, the book "60 Hikes with in 60 Miles - Harrisburg" is great. Most local bookstores have it in the "local interest" section and the EMS at Park City carries it.

ljcsov
08-30-2011, 19:14
Awesome. Thanks so much.

ljcsov
08-30-2011, 19:17
One more question. What section does this area fall into? Where can I buy the "official maps"?

birchy
08-30-2011, 20:45
One more question. What section does this area fall into? Where can I buy the "official maps"?
\
BLUE MT OUTFITTERS did not have that section when I was there last. I would just order them from the PATC website.

ki0eh
08-30-2011, 21:17
The A.T. maps between the Susquehanna and Delaware Rivers are published by Keystone Trails Association (KTA), 101 N Front St, Harrisburg, PA. Here is a link to the online store: http://www.kta-hike.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=506&Itemid=104 The A.T. from PA 225 west to Clarks Ferry bridge is part of what's shown on the "Sections 7-8 Swatara Gap to Susquehanna River" map. This map also shows many other trails in northern Dauphin and Lebanon counties in the area colloquially known as St. Anthony's Wilderness, much of which is in State Game Lands 211.

When you say the "terrain and challenge is subpar" - what are you looking for? Less rocks, or more? :D

ljcsov
08-30-2011, 21:30
More rocks! SGL 211 was a lot of fun for us. It provided a nice challenge. A lot of the state parks seem to have their trails on truck paths. Not a huge fan of that...

Yahtzee
08-30-2011, 22:27
This section is a bit rockier than north of 225 across the bridge, although there is a very nice stretch of 'step-it-out' trail, too. Two points of note in this section are: 1) the pipeline view about a mile north of the William Penn Shelter. Great view of the river, the narrows in the river, and on a clear day the reactors of Three Mile Island can be seen steaming twenty miles down river. And 2) at the top of the climb from the Susquehanna there is a rock outcropping. If you climb up the rocks you get an amazing view of the river. It is amazing because if you look directly to your left, you will see the river and if you look to your right, you will see the river, as well. The river bends around the outcropping which makes for a really cool view.

Happy hiking.

ki0eh
08-30-2011, 22:39
More rocks. The stretch from 225 to Clarks Ferry is a little rockier than Trail-north compass-east of 225. Side trails in SGL 211 such as Water Tank Trail, Stone Tower/Sand Spring trail loops have got a few of those. Try the Tuscarora Trail NW of Carlisle - in and out from Cowpens Rd west (trail-south) to Hemlocks Natural Area is about 4800' of climb and descent in a 17 mile round trip. Not that long but a little further away would be the Thousand Steps (over 1,000 irregular stone steps) on Standing Stone Trail http://www.hike-sst.org near Mount Union - the Steps only get you halfway up the mountain but you can add a long loop around the summit on top. The SST south end at Cowans Gap (as recently relocated) offers several loop opportunities as rocky and steep and long as you might want going to and from Cowans Gap State Park. Trails out of Greenwood Furnace State Park looping around based on the SST south of the Park and Greenwood Spur Mid State Trail offer plenty of climbs and rocks. Even more rocks on Mid State Trail http://www.hike-mst.org too.

AegisIII
08-31-2011, 20:51
If more rocks are what you want, then take the Tuscarora Trail over the turnpike tunnel. Start at Fannettsburg-Burnt Cabins Road and head north. It is a rather amazing section, probably my favorite part of the TT.

ki0eh
08-31-2011, 21:15
The new Tuscarora Trail relocation south of PA 74/Waggoners Gap (NW of Carlisle) is supposed to be very rocky but I haven't been there myself yet. But it would be relatively flat.

The Fannettsburg-Burnt Cabins Road is a fun drive (follow PA 533 west from Shippensburg, and keep going through Upper Strasburg and beyond when PA 533 ends), with relatively little grading having occurred since one of my wife's ancestors petitioned the Cumberland County Court in 1772 to fix it - humps in the road still evoke the horse pauses placed to aid long-ago wagoners (or was it waggoners? :) ).

ljcsov
09-25-2011, 15:08
I hiked near clarks ferry today! Great area! Lots of challenging terrain!