PDA

View Full Version : No more ROOM!!

Icicle
02-20-2005, 07:54
Okay...we leave in 12 days...got all the gear together...and packed it up in the rucksack....will have to shave off some items and I am currently at 26 lbs and that does not include food or water or my sleeping pad!! (But having said that it is an extremely comfortable weight!)

Anyway...the problem I am having is I have run out of room in the rucksack!!!
I have never hiked with stuff attached to the outside of my rucksack...what do I do now? I have a Karrimor Cougar 50-75 litre sack!!!

I posted this originally in the Class of 2005 section...wacocelt suggested I post it out here.

edited to add a summary of my pack contents:

Tent
stuff sack with clothes (down to the bare minimum - pardon pun)
toiletries sack
sleeping bag (in the bottom compartment)
cooking sack (has pot and stove, no fuel - can't carry fuel on flight)
on top of interior items I have put my Teva's - can probably deal with them attached to the outside once I get hiking.

Items still to add:
Sleeping Pad
more steamlined stuff sack for clothes (replacing current stuff sack)

I am going to re-roll my tent today to try to get the circumference down a bit.

There is absolutely NO room for Food or water at this rate. I have miscellaneous items in the top pockets and outter side pockets.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I don't want to go out and buy another ruck sack...

Also keep in mind - everything has to be INSIDE the sack for my flight!!

Thanks in advance!

peter_pan
02-20-2005, 08:47
Jackyd99,

You are going to have to be more specific than listing: tent and 4 sacks to get realistic help.

List every item and include weight and volume.

Suspect your tent is more than it need be, also suspect your " bare minimum" clothes bag has some items that are too bulky for their value.

Without significant changes on gear that goes in, looks like you may need more pack.

Whatever you decide to do remember, if getting it all inside for the flight is the only issue, you can use a hand carrry bag and discard or mail it home on arrival in Atlanta.

Also, many packs are damaged by air line conveys and handling...Recommend you ship with an outer bag ( like an army duffle) or box cover.

BookBurner
02-20-2005, 08:55
I am not familiar with the Cougar and do not remember my metric conversions from middle school. But here are some generic suggestions that should apply regardless of the exact size / design of your pack:

1. Don't roll your tent. Just stuff it in the pack. Rolled tents and sleeping bags do not fully conform to the shape of the pack interior and thus create dead air spaces. Stuffed gear fills every crook and nanny.
2. Move your sleeping bag. Unless the bottom compartment is rather tight, I imagine the sleeping bag has a comfortable ride down there all by itself. Use the space for other gear (i.e. wet tent, nasty socks, etc.) and cram it full! Wherever the sleeping bag ends up in the top compartment, you don't want to crush its fill. But it probably can be safely compressed more than it currently is in the bottom compartment. Keeping it out of the bottom will also protect it from standing rainwater when you take it off.
3. Use a closed-cell pad. With space at a premium, leave the self-inflating pad at home. Carry a closed-cell pad and you have two options. Either roll it up and attach it to the outside of the pack with bungee cords (no worries about potential damage, great place to sit during lunch). Or, if room allows, put it in the empty pack and allow it to unroll to the full diameter of the interior. Next, stuff the rest of your gear inside this newly-created tube. This tube will provide support for your frameless pack and keep the stove and box of pop-tarts from poking you in the back.

Hike well. Ignore the smell.

-- BookBurner
AT '02

www.enlightenedthruhiker.com

Icicle
02-20-2005, 09:09
I am not familiar with the Cougar and do not remember my metric conversions from middle school. But here are some generic suggestions that should apply regardless of the exact size / design of your pack:

1. Don't roll your tent. Just stuff it in the pack. Rolled tents and sleeping bags do not fully conform to the shape of the pack interior and thus create dead air spaces. Stuffed gear fills every crook and nanny.
2. Move your sleeping bag. Unless the bottom compartment is rather tight, I imagine the sleeping bag has a comfortable ride down there all by itself. Use the space for other gear (i.e. wet tent, nasty socks, etc.) and cram it full! Wherever the sleeping bag ends up in the top compartment, you don't want to crush its fill. But it probably can be safely compressed more than it currently is in the bottom compartment. Keeping it out of the bottom will also protect it from standing rainwater when you take it off.That's great idea about the tent...I know when we have done other hikes my husband will pack the tent without rolling it. Especially when it's wet. (for this hike we are carrying two tents...I know that's a bit extreme, but you haven't met my husband!! He reckons it's for when we get separated - by miles hopefully not by marriage!! ;) )

I have compressed the sleeping bag down as far as I can and I think you are right about it having a comfortable ride all by itself. There is more room in there.

I will probably attach my tent poles to the outside when hiking, but they have to go inside for the journey.

I am more than likely going to do a bounce box for some of these items (battery charger, extra contact lenses, etc) so a carry on bag seems a good idea.

Will have another go at packing it and will post the results...

tlbj6142
02-20-2005, 10:16
1L == 61ci

50L == 3050ci
75L == 4500ci

That's more than enough room to carry your gear plus 5-6days worth of food. I suspect gear selection (7# 4-season tent, etc.) and/or item count (3 extra shirts, 2 pants, etc.) are the issues.

I can get a 5-day trip in a 30L pack (1800ci), but I'm a freak. So a "normal" load ought to fit into 50-75L with room to spare.

Frosty
02-20-2005, 10:59
First possibility is that you have too small a pack for a February AT start. You said in another post that you had a 50 liter pack. That is 3000 cubic inches. Unless you are super ultralight, that is skimpy for a Feb start, especially if you bag is inside the pack. Your options may be a bigger pack or a later start.

I am starting Mar 20, have a Gregory Z pack (3950 ci, 65 liter) with a base weight of 20 pounds and I will have to hang something outside my pack. Part of my problem is a big sleeping bag (to fit my 6'5", 250# body).

Regarding cutting back on gear, it is hard to comment without knowing what you have. My guess is that if your "bare minimum" of clothing has extras. CLothing is bulky. Why not list all your clothing.

Maybe, for instance, you have more than three pairs of socks, or a shell AND raingear, or two long sleeved shirts or ... well, thta's the point. Hard to make a suggestion without knowing what you have.

I will say this: Last April I hiked with a 45 pound pack that was sparse. It had the absolute bare minimum of stuff.

Well, once I tried to lower weight, I found lots of stuff to replace/leave behind.

But to make a long story short (too late, I know), if your stuff won't fit and yoiu have tghe bare minimum as you say, then you must either get a bigger pack or re-define what is your bare minimum.

Icicle
02-20-2005, 11:22
Here's the clothes:

One Craghopper T-shirt short sleeve
One Craghopper T-shirt long sleeve
One Patagonia Capilene thermal bottoms
One hiking trousers (LLBean Adventure trousers (nylon/spandex blend)
3 pairs of hiking socks (2 to switch off - one dry pair packed in with misc items in a ziplock bag)
2 pair Lowe Alpine women's hiking underwear bottoms
2 pair Lowe Alpine women's sports bra
1 pair of rain proof trousers
1 pair convertable trousers (may send these in the bounce box)
1 pair of shorts
one set ankle gaiters
one cotton tank top (camp wear)
one pair cotten underwear (camp wear)
one fleece hat
one pair fleece gloves (stored separately with misc items)
one fleece pullover

Before anyone says anything - I like to wear cotton in camp.

As far as a jacket - will be wearing it
And the other part of my camp gear I will also be wearing - camp trousers and a fleece.

So that is it for the clothes and that is what I call my bare minimum... :)

SGT Rock
02-20-2005, 11:52
Here's the clothes:

One Craghopper T-shirt short sleeve
One Craghopper T-shirt long sleeve
3 pairs of hiking socks (2 to switch off - one dry pair packed in with misc items in a ziplock bag)
2 pair Lowe Alpine women's hiking underwear bottoms
2 pair Lowe Alpine women's sports bra

How about losing the shorts and the trousers and just use the convertible pants, or just keep the shorts and the rain trousers and get rid of the long trousers and the convertible pants.

1 pair of shorts
one set ankle gaiters
one cotton tank top (camp wear)
one pair cotten underwear (camp wear)
one fleece hat
one pair fleece gloves (stored separately with misc items)
one fleece pullover

As far as a jacket - will be wearing it
And the other part of my camp gear I will also be wearing - camp trousers and a fleece.

So that is it for the clothes and that is what I call my bare minimum... :)

I understand you like cotton, but chances are VERY great that they will get wet from just the humidity in the air and will not dry out. You will end up with wet cotton clothing going into your pack with the rest of your dry clothing every morning. If you insist on carrying cotton, I highly reccomend an extra zip-lock bag to segregate them in your pack until you decide to stop carrying them. I also think you will probably not wear the jacket all the time, you will aclimate and most likely get hot wearing that while moving, just start off in a long sleeve shirt and feel a little cool when you get going in the AM.

On to the next idea, if you can put your sleeping pad on the outside of your pack, maybe you can also roll the tent up inside it without the stuff sack. How big a tent are you talking?

Frosty
02-20-2005, 12:26
Looks pretty good actually. Only thing I could say is that any one of these four could be worn at bottoms. Perhaps pick two of them, maybe the thermal bottoms and the rain proofs? Or the convertible pants will negate the need for shorts.

I like cotton, also, but only when it is dry. You sound like you've done some camping so this is probably one of those idiosyncracies we all have (mine is toting a 2 lb keyboard). However, if you haven't spent a couple nights out in the rain, know that even in a tent most everything will eventually get wet just from going in and out. All clothing will end up damp.

The difference is is how things feel wet. Try soaking your capilene uin cold water, wringing them out, then putting them on for a few hours. They'll feel okay very shortly. Then try it with your cotton stuff.

That's the only difference - behavior when wet. (and how much they weigh when wet)

I am envious that you are starting so soon. March 20 seems so far away :(

Icicle
02-20-2005, 12:40
Thanks for the advice...the embarassing part of the convertables is they don't fit me at the moment and the rain proof trousers are a bit snug...both hubby and I have bulked up in the past few months as we tend to lose alot of weight when we first start hiking a long distance.

On the West Highland Way I lost 8 pounds in 6 days! Of course my rucksack was 40 pounds (we packed all 10 days worth of food - no place to stock up on that trail!)!

I agree about the cotton and wet...maybe I will ditch everything except the cotton underwear. I prefer to sleep in cotton underwear...I may keep the tank as it's a cotton/lycra blend...

About the jacket...it's a rain jacket...I won't really need to wear it while hiking as the average temp in March for Atanta is the average SUMMER temp here in England so it will be warmer than I am used to. I would consider wearing shorts but know that mountain temps can drop even in the summer.

I shuffled everything about and realized I was not utilizing some of the pockets as well as I could...so there is more room, but I may still need to rethink some things....

Frosty: We leave March 3, but won't start hiking until about a week later...going to my mom's in Pensacola to get over jetlag...will start around 11th March.

Icicle
02-20-2005, 12:46
How big a tent are you talking?
Mountain Hardware PCT2...

I know, I know...it's a two man...husband is taking his TNF Tadpole...also a 2 man...he will not hear of only taking one tent...he can be a pain in the bum!

SGT Rock
02-20-2005, 12:48
I would consider wearing shorts but know that mountain temps can drop even in the summer.

True, but you already have warm long underwear pants and rain pants. My experience is that you will most likely not need more than shorts while walking even when temps are near freezing, all you need is something to pull over your legs when you stop in camp, and with the long thermal bottoms and rain trousers you have that covered. While some people recommend not carrying rain pants, I like mine because of how light they are and how much flexibility they give me.

SGT Rock
02-20-2005, 12:50
Mountain Hardware PCT2...

I know, I know...it's a two man...husband is taking his TNF Tadpole...also a 2 man...he will not hear of only taking one tent...he can be a pain in the bum!

Two 2 person tents? WOW. :datz How about one 2 person tent and a big tarp.

Icicle
02-20-2005, 12:55
True, but you already have warm long underwear pants and rain pants. My experience is that you will most likely not need more than shorts while walking even when temps are near freezing, all you need is something to pull over your legs when you stop in camp, and with the long thermal bottoms and rain trousers you have that covered. While some people recommend not carrying rain pants, I like mine because of how light they are and how much flexibility they give me.
Great advice...and I was scared of posting this out here! ;)

I may ditch the rain proof trousers all together...the LLBean ones dry very quickly. Have worn them in the Peak District of England during a very rainy day and I stayed warm and dry all day...(combined with the Patagonia thermals).

Icicle
02-20-2005, 12:58
Two 2 person tents? WOW. :datz How about one 2 person tent and a big tarp.
Yeah okay....I'll let you approach my Army Sgt husband on that one!! ;)

He's not in the Army but he sure as heck treats me like a recruit!! We just had an arguement about this very thing today...he won't budge...I either carry my own tent or I don't have a tent....he won't share his tent with me and won't compromise...grrrr :datz

SGT Rock
02-20-2005, 12:59
LOL, well my position would be I would just carry a tarp and he wouldn't be able to use it either then :D

Icicle
02-20-2005, 13:09
LOL, well my position would be I would just carry a tarp and he wouldn't be able to use it either then :D
That's the thing...he's already carrying the TARP! So he is taking a 2 MAN tent AND a tarp....<sigh>

I will get all my gear in order and he can sort himself out...I am really looking forward to this trip and don't want to start whining about a pain in the arse husband!! ;)

There is room....I just gotta be more creative!

Currently the rain proof trousers and convertibles are OUT...subject to change though...after all I am female! :rolleyes:

Bad Ass Turtle
02-20-2005, 13:59
Footslogger and I also have this (odd) way of doing things on longer hikes. We tend to take two one-person tents. We really do like each other :o but we like to make our own messes and we have different ways of organizing things. Having said that, I would never carry a two-person tent just for one person. You can get lots of smaller one-person tents that will allow you to store at least your hiking shoes inside or under an awning. In 2001, I carried a Lightyear CD and LOVED MY TENT! Too heavy now, though, and I am planning to go with a Henry Shires Tarptent or just a tarp and a bug bivy for my next thru-hike (date to be determined). As long as you have a good pack cover for your pack, you can usually get along without bringing your gear into the tent with you. Just my two cents . . .

Bad Ass Turtle

Frosty
02-20-2005, 14:54
...he can be a pain in the bum!Speaking as a husband, a large part of my job IS being a pain in bum. We husbands think this is becoming and adorable. You mean it isn't? :)

Anyway, be sure and let us know how you resolve your equipment issues before you leave!

Icicle
02-20-2005, 15:40
Speaking as a husband, a large part of my job IS being a pain in bum. We husbands think this is becoming and adorable. You mean it isn't? :)

Anyway, be sure and let us know how you resolve your equipment issues before you leave!
I hate to break it to you, but it isn't becoming and adorable! Becoming and adorable is to admit when you are being a pain in the arse and stop doing it! :D

I post here how I resolve my equipment issues.

I don't mind the PCT2, it's a very good tent and is only a little over 3.5 pounds. Having slept in the Tadpole...saying it's a two man is a stretch...same with the PCT2...

Bad Ass Turtle: that's partly the same reason that we are planning to take two tents...to tell you the truth on shorter paths we got on each others nerves in the Tadpole...

Of course if there is room in the shelter, I plan on using it....hubby is stating he WILL NOT use the shelters...HYOH hunny buns! ;)

Bad Ass Turtle
02-20-2005, 15:43
In 2003, when I hiked with Footslogger for about a month of his thru-hike, I was having serious blister problems after about three days. Footslogger was sweet, hanging around, trying to offer solutions to make me feel better, but finally I said to him "you should just hike on. I need to be alone with my pain."

He reminds me of it now and again . . .

Bad Ass Turtle

cutman11
02-20-2005, 17:20
Ok, this thread brings up something i've been struggling to decide for a while. What is the minimum clothing to bring?...and I dont mean flip answers like hike with the clothes on your back and a poncho in your pack. I'll throw out my ideas, then y'all(im from the south) chew em up and spit em out. I also realize there are often choices to be made with two or more perfectly good alternatives, so I'll list them with an OR.

Raingear: waterproof jacket and pants OR poncho

Campwear/warmth: ?lightweight OR midweight OR silkweight long sleeve capilene top and bottom , dry socks, warm cap, baclava, fleece gloves, 100wt fleece pullover, 200wt fleece jacket (I also have silk bag liner, but thats part of sleep system)

Hiking: silkweight capilene tshirt, nylon hiking shorts, hiking socks, trailrunners OR boots.

The extras that some include as essential that i've been carrying:

Raingear: polypro liner gloves

Campwear/warmth: silkweight boxers, silkweight tshirt, convertable pants, extra pair of socks and linersocks, campshoes

Hiking: linersocks, silkweight boxerbriefs

The main items I would also like to hear comments on are items I am planning to replace:

1. 100 wt fleece pullover....Ive been looking at the Pategonia R1 pullover zip t..is this good eqivalent stuff? (weighs 2 oz less than what ive got now)
2. 200 wt fleece jacket...Would the Pategonia R2 jacket be the equivalent?..it would weigh 12 oz less than the jacket I have now...or is this inadequate for hiking in maine in the fall?...?R3...?R4....(I have 30 deg WM megalite bag)
3. There is a lot of talk about the driclime windshirt, where would this fit in with the set up ive described above..does it replace something, or add the 10oz for this shirt as extra to what already is on the list?

Thanks to all for the help.

Doctari
02-20-2005, 20:01
You say "everything has to go in the pack for the flight" WHY?

My suggestion is:
Sew a duffel bag big enough for the pack & etc to use on the flight. I havn't bought it in quite a while, but denum is fairly cheap, & very tough, use the bag to your destination, remove the pack & stuff, toss the duffel bag. Yes it's a waste, but it will also allow you to not worry about: your pack straps catchin on the baggage handeling machenery, stuff falling out of your pack, stuff "falling" out of your pack (theft?), etc.

Naturally, if you follow some of the above advice your pack wt will be less, and you will have a smaller pack load.

If you use a closed cell pad, trim it to fit you. I am 5'7" my pad was 6', it is now 5'8" and I rounded the corners (head = 8" radius, feet = 12" radius) saved about 1.5 Oz, mostly saved pack space.

MadAussieInLondon
02-21-2005, 07:05
the pct2 is massive. i took my pct1 last year on the at.

heck, my fiancee and I shared a zoid 1.5, which is about 5cm wider than the pct1.. if you think the pct2 is tiny.. ouch.. that would be mammoth to me :) fit for 3 ppl.

if your taking two tents.. are you taking two stoves? two water filters? etc? coz two tents is ridiculous. two of anything like that is ridiculous when your hiking as a pair.

i think your also taking way too much clothing and other items for a thruhike

NotYet
02-21-2005, 12:57
Currently the rain proof trousers and convertibles are OUT...subject to change though...after all I am female! :rolleyes:

You might want to reconsider the decision to ditch the rain pants...at least until May. The Southern Appalachians can be very, very wet during March and April. Snow and/or rain mixed with freezing or near freezing temperatures can be very uncomfortable, but even worse, it's perfect hypothermia weather. Your rain pants won't keep you totally dry if you have really nasty weather, but they will be warmer and will dry faster than other pants. (Hopefully you'll have nice weather...but I wouldn't count on it! :( )

If you don't like carrying the pants, you can always bounce them forward once you get to warmer months and lower elevations. For what its worth, I carried my rain pants on my whole hike as my only long pants...I'd do it the same way if I ever get to thru-hike again.

Another 2 cents: if you must have separate shelter, carrying a tarp or bivy sack would be smaller and lighter for the times you can't stay in a shelter. My husband and I shared gear, and agreed that during the day we would hike our own paces but meet at a pre-determined spot in the afternoon to decide where we wanted to camp...if you go this route, you don't have to be totally self-sufficient with all of your gear, and no one has to wait around for a few days while the other tries to "catch up".

Have a great trip!!!! It'll be here SOON!!!!!! :)

Icicle
02-21-2005, 15:41
if your taking two tents.. are you taking two stoves? two water filters? etc? coz two tents is ridiculous. two of anything like that is ridiculous when your hiking as a pair.
Yes we are taking two of everything...my husband doesn't do chivalry....and believe me I have argued this until I am blue in the face....did I mention he's a pain in the arse? ;)

NotYet: you must be psychic, I was thinking the exact thing today...the rain trousers and back IN...the convertables are still out.

NICKTHEGREEK
02-21-2005, 16:07

-- BookBurner
AT '02

www.enlightenedthruhiker.com (http://www.enlightenedthruhiker.com)
Stuffing the tent in your pack might work well in the living room, but what happens when it's muddy and soaking wet?
If you are short of space for your food and your sleeping bag, you are seriously in trouble with your current pack.

bulldog49
02-21-2005, 16:33
Stuff it, as opposed to rolling it, in a sack, not just the pack, for that reason. If it's wet, lash it outside the pack so it dries better.

Icicle
02-21-2005, 17:05
1. You hike separatley for most of the hike

We do that anyway...I am happy hiking alone and him ahead of me...I am usually about 10-15 minutes behind him. I hurt my leg on a 200 mile long distance hike trying to keep up with him and I won't do that again!

As far as our relationship...we have been married for 5 years, I'm not worried about this hike splitting us up. I can understand some of his reasons for me having my own kit and the rest I just deal with - it's part of compromise. Just because we are married does not mean he is my own personal sherpa.

Right now we are under a lot of stress...more so than your average AT thru hiker...we are leaving one country for another...I am finishing my job, he is on unpaid leave, we both work until this Friday (we leave next Wednesday!), etc. I reckon this is almost as difficult as when I pulled up stakes and moved to the UK the first time.

I may have mentioned a few times that he's a pain in the arse...but it's just venting....

This is also the first time my husband will be in the USA for more than a week...it will be interesting to see him as the foreigner for a change.

As far as my pack...it will all fit - I just have to be more creative for packing.

To answer Doctari - you have to pack everything inside the rucksack for the plane cargo. The airline doesn't want anything hanging on the outside that might injure someone...also you run the risk of whatever it is being stolen. The airline binds the shoulder straps to make it easier for the baggage handlers to grasp the rucksack and also so that the straps don't catch on something.

Frosty
02-21-2005, 17:47
Not to be a pessimist or anything, but it seems like you too have serious problems cooperating together.
I will wager that at least one of these things will happen on your thru-hike:

1. You hike separatley for most of the hike
2. One/or both goes home
3. The hike will end your realtionship

It seems like you too have your differences, and that you cannot hike together. I'd give a 85% chance of any one of the above things happening.
Good luck!Nothing wrong with disagreeing in a relationship. If people don't know what they want and aren't able to say so, they might not be mature enough to be in a relationship.

To me what kills a relationship is just the opposite, where EVERYTHING is agreeable and there are no arguments. The only way this can happen is if one person isn't taking responsibility for what he/she wants and gives in all the time. This may work short term, but eventually will blow up.

my opinion (and experience)

Kerosene
02-21-2005, 18:54
I like the suggestions from NotYet and Sgt. Rock to replace your 2-man tent with a very lightweight tarp if there will be few times that you're not camping together. You could save a 3-5 pounds and a bunch of space over the typical 2-wall 2-man tent. (Plus, you get a great big vestibule to add to your abode when you need to get away from him for a few minutes! :clap)

I'm more concerned about my hiking partner passing me if we get separated for any appreciable amount of time than I am about them catching up. If they don't catch up then I can always backtrack to find them (although that's not much fun). If they pass me without my knowing it towards the end of a day then that can be a problem. You may want to work out what you would do in such a contingency.

jackiebolen
02-21-2005, 21:45
I think the answer is quite simple for you, my friend: Take less stuff. A 50-75 L pack is going to be way more than enough for a few days. Either get rid of the crap before you leave home, or get rid of it at Neels Gap and waste all that money on postage. The choice is yours. You're probably bringing way more clothing and cooking items than you really need.

Get a pop can stove, use one pot, with a tin-foil lid and wind block. Take one spoon and 1 lighter. That's all you need.

Doctari
02-23-2005, 19:46
To answer Doctari - you have to pack everything inside the rucksack for the plane cargo. The airline doesn't want anything hanging on the outside that might injure someone...also you run the risk of whatever it is being stolen. The airline binds the shoulder straps to make it easier for the baggage handlers to grasp the rucksack and also so that the straps don't catch on something.

MMM, I think you mis read my reply, the second parpgraph said: My suggestion is:
Sew a duffel bag big enough for the pack & etc to use on the flight. I havn't bought it in quite a while, but denum is fairly cheap, & very tough, use the bag to your destination, remove the pack & stuff, toss the duffel bag. Yes it's a waste, but it will also allow you to not worry about: your pack straps catchin on the baggage handeling machenery, stuff falling out of your pack, stuff "falling" out of your pack (theft?), etc.

That is: just make a bloody big sack for your pack & all, Much like a army duffel bag, perhaps with a draw string and/or add grommets to the top for a padlock or 3. Remember, you arn't going to carry this "Over bag" on the trail, but throw it away when you get to the airport or trailhead.
Personally, I wouldn't trust the baggage maulers to "bind the shoulder straps to make it easier for the baggage handlers to grasp the rucksack and also so that the straps don't catch on something" I bet you find the straps missing when you get to the states (or at least damaged severely). A heavy duty "Over bag" can reduce this eventuality.

If you want, send the empty bag to me, at the end of your trip I'll send it to your departure point for the trip home.

Doctari.

wacocelt
02-23-2005, 20:45
I told you there would be a ton of good advice over here Jacky! I would have chimed in sooner, but I can't do metric conversions. Happy hiking!

Lion King
02-24-2005, 01:53
Wish I could help you, but I go heavy...even when I try ot go light...maybe thats why my foot hurts all the time.

Typical for me...

Sierra Design Clipflashlight CD 2 man tent...I like my room...plus Im 6'2

Coleman Peak one stove...one of those big ass 34$ stoves you can buy at walmart...super dependable, and has never let me down, and a full fuel tank last forever and a day..but heavy as hell

regular dinner pot with handle, or a Titanium one with one of those little lit wieght grabbers

3 pair of socks

Tae Kwon Do or Sweat pants, long sleeve fleece and Tevas for camp (I too love my cotton, and have always had it with me every time I ever go hiking)

at least one extra short sleeve shirt and clean shorts for town(I dont do bounce boxes)

Large metal spoon, just switched to titanium spoon last year...or plastic, which you can pick up at any food place while you eat in town

Data Book and Companion...the whole thing on both books, not just pages for whereever I am

full size journal and two pens(at least)

Petzl headlamp, extra battries

1 book to read

big ass food bag, My Mac and cheese choice is ALWAYS the Deluxe with the Creamy cheese pouch...they satisfy like nobodies business

1-2 cameras(Disposable)

Coleman mummy bag 15 degree...I keep it with me the whole time

Walmart eggshell sleeping pad...super comfy, and only $13, and again it fits a 6'2 frame...the air matresses, even Fat Agnes ones are far too short for me

DEET and lots of it, I gargle and bath in deet when the bugs appear.

Full size toothbrush, full size toothpaste, which can last a long long long time, even with 2-3 brushes a day

2 Nalgenes Full, and one gatorade bottle, usually full for those times when there are no reliable water sources, or the water is like 1 mile straight down...hate those, would rather carry the extra litre of water then take an extra climb/descent

If leaving a town add a 12 pack of beer/soda to that to share with other hikers...if there is a big climb out of town, that usually drops to a sixer by the time I get to the camp/shelter site.

I carry a Jansport Rockies 100 --6500-7500 cubic, I do believe, and somehow I can pack it till its bulging...packwieght ranges from 50-60.

Less for shorter hikes...which makes no sense, but thats me. What you will find out is this, some of those things you think you need, you will hate and get rid of faster then you can even imagine.

Jaybird
02-24-2005, 07:08
another alternative:

toss the RUCK SAK ...& get you a REAL BACKPACK complete with side-pockets & straps for add-ons...

26lbs WITHOUT FOOD & WATER????? WOW!

W/ food ....you're probably looking @ close to 40 lbs

p.s. just like LION KING...you're probably carrying way too much weight....the rule of the trail is:...

"if you havent used it in 2 or 3 days...toss it!".... :D

Icicle
02-24-2005, 15:34
another alternative:

toss the RUCK SAK ...& get you a REAL BACKPACK complete with side-pockets & straps for add-ons...
FYI - it does have side pockets and straps!

Frosty
02-24-2005, 17:10
the rule of the trail is:...

"if you havent used it in 2 or 3 days...toss it!" Hmm. What if you sleep in shelters for three days in a row. Do you toss your tent? What if it doesn't rain for two or three days? Toss raingear? Three consecutive days in hostels? Out goes the sleeping bag?

That's the problem with rules. They sound good in theory, but rarely work as absolutes.

Anyway, a single set of rules to cover eveyone's hike is silly.

IMO, there are no rules. There is just the way you or anyone else chooses to hike. Personal preference is not a universal mandate.

Icicle
02-24-2005, 18:06
IMO, there are no rules. There is just the way you or anyone else chooses to hike. Personal preference is not a universal mandate.
Thanks for that Frosty!!

I was really afraid to post out here in the regular forum for exactly the examples of posts on this thread.

no room: throw it out
your rucksack sucks: get a new one
your tent is too big: get a new one
you and your husband are going to break up
you and your husband shouldn't carry your own kit - you should share
26 pounds - you are MAD

These responses are not at all helpful and they are judgemental. All I was looking for was packing advice. I did get some very useful help from some of the responses - move the sleeping bag out of the bottom, etc.

I would like to thank everyone that made useful comments about my pack. I am an experienced hiker and some of these replies have really ruffled my feathers....

Lion King
02-24-2005, 18:58
Thanks for that Frosty!!

I was really afraid to post out here in the regular forum for exactly the examples of posts on this thread.

26 pounds - you are MAD

These responses are not at all helpful and they are judgemental. All I was looking for was packing advice. I did get some very useful help from some of the responses - move the sleeping bag out of the bottom, etc.

I would like to thank everyone that made useful comments about my pack. I am an experienced hiker and some of these replies have really ruffled my feathers....
wow.

I wish you luck out there.

Doctari
02-24-2005, 19:05
Thanks for that Frosty!!

26 pounds - you are MAD

Yea, that happens. Sigh!

I use a "ruck sack" type pack & it's great. I also would have the same problem with flying with it as you, some of my stuff would be hanging from the outside, (see my 2nd answer above). That is the answer I gave, hope it helped!

Sorry we sometimes deviate from the question at hand, Tis sadly the nature of such a diverse group. All do mean well.
As you know: you will most likely ditch some gear, usually the largest batch at Neel's gap :) but that is your decission, to suit your hike. And it sounds as if your hike is well thought out, even if some don't agree.

Have a great trip, keep us informed of your progress.

BTW: None of the stuff you carry is that odd, specially compared to some of the things carried on the A.T.: A tuba, a bowling ball, a cat, etc.

Doctari.

Icicle
02-25-2005, 17:31
I think there is a language barrier here....in the UK any kind of back pack is called a ruck sack (or at least in the part of the UK we live)....it's still a back pack...I have lived in the UK for so long I don't even remember what an American "ruck sack" is... :p

Thanks Doctari :)

SGT Rock
02-25-2005, 21:30
In the US Army, the Rucksack also is a framed backpack.

plodder
02-26-2005, 07:59
People have raised an eyebrow when I said "rucksack." I thought I was just being old. I am trying different packing layouts, so I guess I have been taking alot of this with a grain of salt. One of those sweaty slate evil slate rocks in Gulf Hagas started/quickened the demise of an old bag. I have found gems of wisdom buried in here, keep the smile.