PDA

View Full Version : help with hiking issues

elytis
08-30-2011, 19:20
Hey guys and gals,

I set out on my first solo over night on Friday August 26th. Since I live in CT I took a drive up to Salisbury and took the undermountain trail to the paradise lane trail that eventually hooked up with the AT. Once I hit the AT I took it north to Sages ravine and Bear falls, eventually crossing the CT/MA border and camping at Laurel Ridge campsite.

So here are the issues I ran into that I was hoping to have some feedback on so that on future hikes I don't run into them.
1) Being out of shape and my first hike in 3 years, I sweat like the dickens and soaked my cotton shirt in a little over an hour. I lay it out to dry once I camped but even after being out all night it still wasn't dry the next morning. What do you recommend for shirts to help solve this issue?
2) I purchased the Eureka Spitfire 1 tent. The issue I ran into with it was that there was no room to keep my pack dry. If you have this tent what do you do to keep your pack from getting soaked if its raining?
3) I packed conservetively and what bothered me was that 90% of my pack was my sleeping bag. It does not compact well. what do you guys recommend for a highly compactable, light, 20 degree sleeping bag?

Thanks for all the help!

paistes5
08-30-2011, 19:28
For the shirt, lose the cotton. Just get a couple of cheapie synthetics from Wally World.

For the tent, go with one with a vestibule. There are tons out there and it's been debated a ton as to which tent to purchase.

I went with a North Face Cats Meow 20 degree synthetic. Again, there's a big debate on down versus synthetic which I'm not gonna get into.

On a plus, REI is having a huge sale going on right now so you should be able to get a few decent deals.

Rocket Jones
08-30-2011, 19:48
+1 on the poly shirts from Wally World or Target. Look for the Starter brand, they should be going on clearance soon. I got mine for $5.00 each a couple of years ago. For warm weather hiking, I wear swim trunks.

If you'd rather not get a new tent, then carry a large trash bag that can fit over your pack to keep the rain off in camp.

Down is lighter and more compressable than synthetic, but depending on the bag the difference doesn't have to be that much. Sleeping bags are something I'd suggest trying in the store. Compare weight, compressibility and most importantly, how well you fit into it.

sbhikes
08-30-2011, 20:03
If it took you a whole hour to get your shirt soaking wet with sweat then you aren't in THAT bad a shape.

Down compresses more and more expensive sleeping bags of any kind will often compress more than cheaper ones. In other words, you pay for high performance. But it's worth it. Of all the things to skimp on, never skimp on the sleeping bag. Always get the absolute best you possibly can. So if you can't afford something really good, don't get something half as good. It's not worth it. Better to keep the one you have and just get a bigger pack. Packs are cheap.

kanga
08-30-2011, 20:26
campmor has some cheap, but good quality bags.
i would use a trash compactor bag. it can take more abuse and you won't rip it shoving the pack in. bring a rubber band or a hair tie and twist the opening of the bag shut, double it over, then band it.
cheap poly shirts.

max patch
08-30-2011, 20:34
2) I purchased the Eureka Spitfire 1 tent. The issue I ran into with it was that there was no room to keep my pack dry. If you have this tent what do you do to keep your pack from getting soaked if its raining?

My tent was too small to bring my pack inside and the "vestibule" was big enough for a pair of boots and nothing else. I kept my pack outside and put my pack cover on it. You got one of those, right?

Sierra Echo
08-30-2011, 20:39
You should get a MSR Hubba! I LOVE mine. Not only can I get there, so can my pack, boots and poles. And I still have plenty of room and its lightweight!

Lone Wolf
08-30-2011, 20:43
MSR hubba tent
20 deg. campmor down bag

Snowleopard
08-30-2011, 21:15
Keep the spitfire tent for now; it's pretty light and cheap. Put your pack in a large plastic trash bag or use a pack cover; keep it outside the tent if it doesn't fit inside. While hiking put things that need to be kept dry in plastic bags inside the pack, or use a single plastic bag as a pack liner. Your sleeping bag and warm clothes MUST be kept dry.

It was really humid on Aug. 26 and 27 from tropical air pushed up by the hurricane. Anyone would be soaked with sweat.

Don't use cotton clothing because it takes forever to dry. Also, it doesn't insulate at all when wet. Imagine how that cotton shirt would have felt if the temps had dropped to freezing overnight! Use wool or synthetic fabrics, no cotton, no denim.

The campmor 20 deg down bag is popular but their website no longer shows it. REI has a sale now, EMS often has sales. A down bag will be lighter for the same warmth and compress much better.

daddytwosticks
08-31-2011, 07:32
I have a Spitfire 1. I place my pack up under the rain fly on the other side of the entrance. Usually have the pack in its cover when I do this. When I use the Spitfire, I'm usually carrying an Atmos 50 or older Aether 60 pack. :)

sixhusbands
08-31-2011, 08:09
You are sweating which is a good thing and I hope that you are replacing all of the fluids and electrolytes during that time too.

I agree with not wearing cotton, you can easily find inexpensive ,synthetic shirts and underwear in most places. You will thank me for the underwear change, chafing is not pleasant!
tent is your own call, I use a pack cover, which works fine.

you can get a 20 degree , down bag which weighs in about 3 lbs and compacts easily.

Hike at your own pace and enjoy

vamelungeon
08-31-2011, 09:42
I have the Spitfire, and once I empty my pack it comes into the tent with me. I leave my shoes outside but that's all. I'm 5'11" and 230, so I'm maybe average size (and overweight) and I have plenty of room. My pack isn't completely empty of course but the big items are out, like the tent, food and sleeping bag. You most assuredly need a better sleeping bag.

Jim Adams
08-31-2011, 10:02
I use the cotton T shirts all summer long. I sweat alot also and if you use synthetic shirts, they will transfer the sweat out and evaporate on the shirt instead of on your body and you will actually overheat with the synthetic. There is nothing wrong using cotton T's in hot weather but ALWAYS make sure you have a synthetic or wool shirt with you in case the temps drop. I rinse out the shirt once in camp and then wring it and hang it out all night....yes it is usually still wet in the morning and I just bite the bullit and tolerate the chill for a few minutes in the morning.

LW has your answer for the rest...Campmor 20* down and a Hubba.

geek

sbhikes
08-31-2011, 10:20
Cotton is great for the desert and arid climates. I like to wear cotton pants and shirts when it's hot here and I'm day hiking in Southern California. But when I go backpacking or it's not that hot, I use synthetics because when the sun goes down or you get in the shade, it gets cold instantly. In the actual desert you can dry your clothes overnight. I really like that feature of desert hiking.

Mr. Toad
08-31-2011, 11:04
You should get a MSR Hubba! I LOVE mine. Not only can I get there, so can my pack, boots and poles. And I still have plenty of room and its lightweight!

Sierra,

I am 5'9". Based on your experience, do you think that I would I be able to get my pack, boots and poles in the Hubba comfortably? Thanks

pyroman53
08-31-2011, 11:33
What to do with the pack at night...by the time I get into the tent, just about everything is out of my pack. The clothes and rain gear are my pillow; food is hanging; stove, pot, and bowl are outside waiting for breakfast; so other than a few small things its flat and in a corner or under my feet as insulation or laying under my pillow.

Ladytrekker
08-31-2011, 11:45
I have to have a tent I can sit up in or I would go nuts. I have spent some long nights in a tent during downpours and having to lay down would be awful the whole time. You may have to dress or eat or whateve in your tent make it as comfortable as you can but stay on light side. I am now saving for a Lightheart tent because comfort and pack weight are critical for me.

I solved my sleeping bag issue when Montbell had their big sale last year and bought a down 15 degree bag it compresses really small and keeps me really warm so far. I grimmaced over spending that kind of money but decided my comfort is worth the extra had to save for it but I think worth every penny. On warmer nights I open it up and use it as a blanket instead of a bag and that way I can stick limbs out if I get to warm. This is so far one of the best purchases I have made.

But it is all trial and error that you have to work through by whats important to you.

Tom Murphy
08-31-2011, 12:11
Congrats on a great first trip.

bulldog49
08-31-2011, 13:46
What to do with the pack at night...by the time I get into the tent, just about everything is out of my pack. The clothes and rain gear are my pillow; food is hanging; stove, pot, and bowl are outside waiting for breakfast; so other than a few small things its flat and in a corner or under my feet as insulation or laying under my pillow.

This, you don't have to go out and buy a new tent. No such thing as a tent too small to store your pack. If you can fit in the tent, your pack will fit as well.