PDA

View Full Version : Recommended tent for thru?

B-Rabbit
08-30-2011, 20:19
Hello all,

I am excited to say that I am officially gearing up for my first thru this spring. My next purchase will be a tent. I am looking for suggestions from other thru-hikers of what they have used. I am looking for a full solo tent with a floor and a vestibule for gear? Also, in the "inexpensive" range. A short description would be great!

Thanks for the help!!!

DLANOIE
08-30-2011, 20:23
B-Rabbit, welcome to Whiteblaze!

Tenting choices are endless. A good go to tent would be the MSR hubba. It was popular during my through. A good rugged tent for cheap. And it has everything you're looking for.

Good luck!

Lone Wolf
08-30-2011, 20:23
MSR Hubba........

atmilkman
08-30-2011, 21:06
MSR Hubba is an excellent choice also look at the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL 1 I have both the Hubba Hubba and the UL 2 and they are equally great.

k2basecamp
08-30-2011, 21:10
MSR Hubba is an excellent choice also look at the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL 1 I have both the Hubba Hubba and the UL 2 and they are equally great. The ll bean microlight solo worked for me and pretty cheap at 130.00

4shot
08-30-2011, 21:12
you will see many of the Hubbas on the trail as well as alot of tarptents. when the inevitable poster shows up to talk about their hammock, remind them that you specifically asked about tents. The tarptent double rainbow was the tent I carried and was happy with it.

ekeverette
08-30-2011, 21:44
got a sol copper spur ul1, the best... but costly.

atmilkman
08-30-2011, 21:57
got a sol copper spur ul1, the best... but costly.

REI has it for 262 bucks down from 350 not a bad deal

Pollen
08-30-2011, 22:09
have not thru-hiked, but am also gearing for mine next spring. Bought a BA UL2 and so far trying it out with short backpacking trips it has been great. Got it a hundred dollars off on ebay. Just need to commit to a sleeping bag and mat.

Jan LiteShoe
08-30-2011, 22:41
Might check out the lightheart tents, http://www.lightheartgear.com/ - nice design and light. Handmade by a hiker.

rjhouser
08-30-2011, 23:23
Sierra designs lightyear.

pafarmboy
08-30-2011, 23:28
Might check out the lightheart tents, http://www.lightheartgear.com/ - nice design and light. Handmade by a hiker.

+1 on that. No more expensive than a Hubba and half the weight. Handmade by a former thru-hiker. What more could you ask for.

Sierra Echo
08-30-2011, 23:32
Pssssstt get a hubba!

skinewmexico
08-30-2011, 23:43
This being WB, it has to be a Hubba. And a Thermarest Pro-lite or Neo. And a Pocket Rocket. And a Campmor down bag. Oh yeah, and an Osprey pack. Anything else, you're not gonna fit in.

DLANOIE
08-31-2011, 00:14
This being WB, it has to be a Hubba. And a Thermarest Pro-lite or Neo. And a Pocket Rocket. And a Campmor down bag. Oh yeah, and an Osprey pack. Anything else, you're not gonna fit in.

Guess I dont fit in cause I aint got none of that gear.:(

RevLee
08-31-2011, 00:32
Check out the tarptents at http://tarptent.com/allproducts.html. The Contrail, Moment, Rainbow, or Squall 2 are all popular and at most weigh just a smidge over 2 pounds. I've got the Squall 2 which has plenty of room and has been great so far.

NBHiker
08-31-2011, 08:14
Hiked from GA to NY this summer with a Lightheart solo and loved it. Slept in it almost every night. http://www.lightheartgear.com/

B-Rabbit
08-31-2011, 08:45
You guys are awesome! So far I think I like the MSR the best for reviews vs price. Is the footprint worth buying or will a simple piece of tyvek do the trick? Not looking to "fit in" with anyone based on gear but im guessing the popular choices are popular for a reason.

Mr. Toad
08-31-2011, 08:51

I'm curious. In your jab at the WB "conventional wisdom", you left out foot wear. What's the unofficial WB shoe/boot these days?

skinewmexico
08-31-2011, 09:37
I'm curious. In your jab at the WB "conventional wisdom", you left out foot wear. What's the unofficial WB shoe/boot these days?

That one is harder, but it would have to be some kind of boot, not a trail runner. I was being sarcastic, but only a little.

Doc Mike
08-31-2011, 09:59
you will see many of the Hubbas on the trail as well as alot of tarptents. when the inevitable poster shows up to talk about their hammock, remind them that you specifically asked about tents. The tarptent double rainbow was the tent I carried and was happy with it.

Have you thought about a hammock lots of thru hikers have used them and then you can also be in the "in" cowd not just another ground dweller......lol this is so much fun. Muxh more info at hammockforums.net

Jim Adams
08-31-2011, 10:07
just use a piece of tyvek...lighter, more durable and I cut mine long enough to stick out a foot into the vestibule, that way you can unzip the door and stand on a DRY spot to put on crocs, shoes or get dressed standing if you want.

geek

B-Rabbit
08-31-2011, 10:31
I have the original hennessy hammock and use it year round in Ga. I just think a tent will be more practical and versatile for a 5-6 month journey. I know that's kind of taboo to say among the hammock community. Looks like I will be joining the boring ol' ground dwellers during my through.

wcgornto
08-31-2011, 11:01
If you are seriously considering the Hubba, compare its weight (equal) and floor space (smaller) with the Copper Spur 1. Other than price, there is no reason to opt for the Hubba over the Copper Spur. Plus, as noted above, the Copper Spur is currently 25% off at REI.

wcgornto
08-31-2011, 11:05

Salomon trail runner XA Pro 3d Ultra

CornerCreek27
08-31-2011, 11:07
hey guys, im comparing the Copper Spur from BA with something like the Rainbow from Tarptent. Has anybody used the Rainbow, Im a little confused with how the side vents tie down to make it bug-proof. I dont want black flies but also dont want to be stuck in an oven. maybe some sort of mod...

thanks

Sir-Packs-Alot
08-31-2011, 11:47
I carry a 23 ounce Six Moon Designs "Luna Solo" and (full tent using trekking pole) - but would buy a lightheart if I got a new one. I agree. Check this site out at least.
+1 on that. No more expensive than a Hubba and half the weight. Handmade by a former thru-hiker. What more could you ask for.

Two Tents
08-31-2011, 11:55
You guys are awesome! So far I think I like the MSR the best for reviews vs price. Is the footprint worth buying or will a simple piece of tyvek do the trick? Not looking to "fit in" with anyone based on gear but im guessing the popular choices are popular for a reason.

Do what you want but all the years and miles, I have not used a ground cloth-ever! Not needed IMO. It's just extra weight..Good site selection and prep. is all you need. Unless you have a new fangled tarp tent that has bug net for the bottom then you'd need something. Just sayin.

4Bears
08-31-2011, 13:21
hey guys, im comparing the Copper Spur from BA with something like the Rainbow from Tarptent. Has anybody used the Rainbow, Im a little confused with how the side vents tie down to make it bug-proof. I dont want black flies but also dont want to be stuck in an oven. maybe some sort of mod...

thanks
The bug netting is a bridge between the floor and body.... it is bug proof when zipped up, you can see it if you look at all the pics more closely.

ChinMusic
08-31-2011, 13:30
Have you thought about a hammock lots of thru hikers have used them and then you can also be in the "in" cowd not just another ground dweller......lol this is so much fun. Muxh more info at hammockforums.net
Those of you that had guessed post #21 are the winner..........

Doc Mike
08-31-2011, 14:49
Those of you that had guessed post #21 are the winner..........

I couldn't help after you opened the door by mentioning a hammock:)

DLANOIE
08-31-2011, 14:59
I honestly cant believe it took this long!:banana

joshuasdad
08-31-2011, 15:28
If you are seriously considering the Hubba, compare its weight (equal) and floor space (smaller) with the Copper Spur 1. Other than price, there is no reason to opt for the Hubba over the Copper Spur. Plus, as noted above, the Copper Spur is currently 25% off at REI.

Does the Hubba have a bit more headroom? I think it also is much easier to set up (including the fast rainfly set-up, which gives it a bit more interior room, sans bug protection.). I was able to get it for 12% off of a $199 list price (received in the mail last night -- and assembled in my dining room airing out -- I hope that smell goes away before my hike this weekend...)

Hubba (2011)
SKU: MSRC1205

$199.95

Sierra Echo
08-31-2011, 15:52
Does the Hubba have a bit more headroom? I think it also is much easier to set up (including the fast rainfly set-up, which gives it a bit more interior room, sans bug protection.). I was able to get it for 12% off of a $199 list price (received in the mail last night -- and assembled in my dining room airing out -- I hope that smell goes away before my hike this weekend...)

Hubba (2011)
SKU: MSRC1205

$199.95

I notice the smell when I first pull mine out of the bag, but have never noticed it while I'm in the tent.

wcgornto
08-31-2011, 16:30
Does the Hubba have a bit more headroom?

The Hubba has a 40" peak height vs. 37" for the Copper Spur. The Copper Spur has 22 feet floor area vs. 17 feet for the Hubba. It's a definite tradeoff, but I prefer the added floor space and don't need the extra peak height. For a person over six feet tall, the head room difference could be meaningful. However, note also that the Hubba is narrower not only at the floor, but also at the peak.

Chubbs4U
08-31-2011, 16:48
How much do you want to spend? Do you want a single or double wall? Do you want light or ultralight? Unless your going to give us something more to go on, maybe check the thousand of other topics that have asked the same question.

pafarmboy
08-31-2011, 17:53
The Hubba has a 40" peak height vs. 37" for the Copper Spur. The Copper Spur has 22 feet floor area vs. 17 feet for the Hubba. It's a definite tradeoff, but I prefer the added floor space and don't need the extra peak height. For a person over six feet tall, the head room difference could be meaningful. However, note also that the Hubba is narrower not only at the floor, but also at the peak.

Lightheart Solo 43" height 30 sq feet. Weight 27 ounces.

B-Rabbit
08-31-2011, 18:05
Yes. I do realize that there are probably are thousands of other references that I could turn to... but that was my point in asking. It is kind of tough to cycle through so much information and know what is outdated, bad info, never tested, price, quality, weight, etc.. After all isn't that the point of WB? I appreciate the info. given by people willing to help.

Im looking for a tent that has been proven successful by previous through hikers. I would like a tent that is under 3lbs (idealy under 2lbs), has bug/rain protection, is durable, 4 walls, room to put my gear, and preferably with a vestibule for added dry area? Single or Double? I have always camped with double wall tents but would not be opposed to a single if it better for the trail.

I am not rich so price is an issue...but I am willing to drop a little more money if it means more comfort. Under $200 is really appealing but I could go $300 if I had to. I have to buy alot of new gear to cut my weight down.

slims
08-31-2011, 20:42
Check out http://www.tarptent.com/ Something like the Moment or Rainbow tent should suit your needs without being too expensive.

Old Boots
08-31-2011, 20:58
Take a look at the REI quarterdome T1

Jay_NJ
08-31-2011, 21:09
If your in the modest bracket for pricing, I would recommend a henry shires tarptent and not even bother with a footprint. If you have $$ to spare, you have some fabulous cuben options over at zpacks and lightheart solo, etc.

wcgornto
08-31-2011, 22:56
Lightheart Solo 43" height 30 sq feet. Weight 27 ounces.

Actually, mine is under 20 ounces (Cuben Fiber). I was just comparing the Hubba with the Copper Spur.

The Lightheart Solo definitely has more floor space than the Copper Spur 1. However, there is more overall headroom in the Copper Spur 1, as it is not focused in a specific spot. I am happy to have both tents and I will choose one or the other based on circumstances.

Shavuotis
09-01-2011, 14:16
I don't know what your definition of cheap is but the jack russel terrier of four season tents is the Hillerberg Akto. REI makes some good, inexpensive tents also. I personally use a Hillerberg Nallo 3. It weighs 5 lbs but provides ample room for myself and one other plus gear. It also is a breeze to set up in inclement weather as the tent body is also already attached to the fly. It also has a front vestibule for muddy gear. The interior is also a nice yellow color which helps to prevent an attitude change in case you are stuck inside for a day or two due to bad weather. Insert two poles and stake it out. Done!!! The REI half dome and quarter dome is also a good choice. I hope this helped you.

Bucherm
09-02-2011, 01:11
I snagged a Sierra Designs VL2 from the used gear forum last year. I freakin' love it. Before that I was using a Eureka Backcountry, which was a bit heavier and had no vestibule. Truth be told, that was perfectly fine for my needs, but the VL2 is a bit lighter and a little bigger.

If you want to buy something relatively cheap give the Backcountry a look. I would recommend that you keep an eye out on the used gear forum. There are good deals there and you can usually haggle with the seller. Don't let "perfect" be the enemy of "good enough"!