PDA

View Full Version : Silk Liners

Sierra Echo
08-30-2011, 22:33
Can anyone recommend a good one?? My bag is rated at 45 degrees and hopefully its gonna start getting cool again? I figured why buy a warmer bag when I can just add a lightweight (hopefully) liner!~
Go me!

HiKen2011
08-30-2011, 22:38
Jagbags.....

Gipsy
08-31-2011, 03:11
I found a Magellan 100% silk liner at Academy for $15. Was just hanging by itself near the flashlights. Never seen another one, and its a GREAT liner.

Gipsy
08-31-2011, 03:12
Sea to Summit makes decent ones, but kinda pricey.

Doc Mike
08-31-2011, 07:03
I have the reactor its expensive but does make a difference.
http://www.amazon.com/Sea-Summit-Reactor-Thermolite-Sleeping/dp/B001PR06W4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1314788599&sr=8-1

Mrs Baggins
08-31-2011, 07:20
We have them and they do add warmth (can't remember the brand names - bought them at Mountain Crossings years ago) but 1)found them hard to get in and out of because they only have an opening at the top, not down the side to match the bag's opening 2) got tangled in them easily during the night 3) they get full of static and spark and crackle like mad when you're getting in and out.

Ender
08-31-2011, 08:44
I used a Sea to Summit one for years and liked it.

I will say though that while they do add a couple degrees to the bag, it's really not that much. Maybe 5* at most.

Rain Man
08-31-2011, 11:03
I found a Magellan 100% silk liner at Academy for $15. Was just hanging by itself near the flashlights. Never seen another one, and its a GREAT liner.

Bought one of these for my daughter last year at Academy Sports. But for what it's worth, IMHO they are for keeping sleeping bags cleaner, not warmer. I don't think a silk liner makes a bag warmer. My wife and I have had silk liners for decades.

Rain Man

Hutch
08-31-2011, 11:59
Instead of the silk liner, why not bring an extra set of silk or poly underwear. You can wear them at night in your sleeping bag if you need to. They also can be used for extra layering during the day if needed. Dual purpose !!!!!!

scope
08-31-2011, 12:04
Or, wear your down jacket to bed, with down booties.

Probably not worth buying the liner unless you're going to out for long periods of time, and then its for the benefit of keeping your bag cleaner with some incremental warmth.

Sir-Packs-Alot
08-31-2011, 12:45
I agree - at least for the Sea to Summit silk liner and all the other types and brands I've used over the years. My friend Geo (who heads up the camping section of Atlanta's largest REI) tells me that Sea to Summit's "Reactor" really does add appreciable warmth - but like sleeping bag ratings themselves - the added warmth claimed is a bit optimisitic.
I used a Sea to Summit one for years and liked it.

I will say though that while they do add a couple degrees to the bag, it's really not that much. Maybe 5* at most.

Sierra Echo
08-31-2011, 16:08
Instead of the silk liner, why not bring an extra set of silk or poly underwear. You can wear them at night in your sleeping bag if you need to. They also can be used for extra layering during the day if needed. Dual purpose !!!!!!

I like your idea! I have long johns made out of acrylic or something like that. I can use those!

mountain squid
08-31-2011, 16:32
Personally, I wouldn't count on a silk liner adding much warmth. As scope mentioned, I also think of mine as something to help keep my bag clean. If this is something for short section hikes or overnighters, you might consider a fleece liner instead. I don't know, but I would suspect that a fleece liner (http://www.nextag.com/fleece-sleeping-bag-liner/shop-html) might add more warmth than a silk liner (http://www.nextag.com/silk-sleeping-bag-liner/stores-html) and is probably cheaper. A fleece liner is probably heavier and much more bulkier though . . .

Just my .02. I would be more confident in a fleece liner adding warmth than a silk one.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

how to hike (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?73587-how-to-hike)

58starter
08-31-2011, 16:41
My wife made me one out of ripstop nylon purchased at JoAnn Fabrics on sale.